Will Reading win another game under Paunovic?

Will Pauno win another game?1

Poll ended at 29 Jan 2022 21:30
Clownovic? Of course not.
45%
Maybe
10%
Yes
45%

Total votes: 29
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Will Reading win another game under Paunovic?

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2022 21:30

As the title.

Normally I'd think this is a ludicrous question. But it's conceivable that he's unsackable and we look desperately awful, with low effort.

I think it's actually possible he could see out the season without another win. Assuming Dai is willing to pull the trigger I think it's likely he won't win again.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Will Reading win another game under Paunovic?

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jan 2022 21:33

Assuming he stays until the end of the season then yeah, maybe only 1 though.

Probs an own goal or some shit when Southwood has a blinder.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Jan 2022 21:34

Why is Ian royal not an option?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2022 21:36

SouthDownsRoyal Why is Ian royal not an option?

That's not really my place.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 09:38

I thought this to myself last night and I honestly think that, under Pauno as it is now, we will win 2 games maximum between now and the end of the season. I thought it was ridiculous to say we will only win 2 of our remaining 20 (plus all the other games we haven't won) but as we saw with Hull a couple of years ago, if you're in a rut, it's not easy to get out of when your manager remains the same.

And if it is "almost certain" that Pauno will leave at the end of the season, why bother wasting time when it isn't working now? Surely the EFL can't be putting restrictions on us to spend money to sack our manager? If that really was the case you may as well just say that we are relegated now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 12:05

Oh christ, I'd managed to block out that we still have 20 games of this bullshit. I'd deluded myself into thinking it was about 10. :cry: :cry:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2022 12:07

Obviously yes if he stays till the end of the season but hopefully no if he`s gone before the weekend.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 12:25

I can only hope the "master plan" is to get players in during January, sack him going into February and say to any incoming manager, "this is your squad for the season". That's the only plausible reason I can think of right now.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2022 12:28

It is a ludicrous question.

Brogue gets knocked for a much needed new poll and you get away with this?? :wink:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2022 12:31

Of course we will and bizarrely if he can concoct a good victories against the likes of Barnsley, Peterborough, Hull, Cardiff, Birmingham then the insipid performances against anyone midtable or higher might not matter. Look at the teams from basically Bristol City down, no one is winning, we're all shit, only Derby are performing well and they could still be gutted and potentially even liquidated this month.

I still can't get positive about this club any more but at times we have shown quality and yet it always seems to collapse, I'd expect a better performance against Huddersfield but that seems to be largely based on the fact I just can't fathom how we can perform worse than yesterday.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 12:34

What has anyone seen in the last month to suggest we will win another game this season? I know probability suggests we will win again but how can anyone be certain of this based on the evidence?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 12:37

I think we will win another game or two, but as we saw with Hull a couple of seasons ago, you might not get out of your rut just because probability would suggest otherwise. They dropped from something like 8th to 24th in roughly half a season. At the moment, we are on the straight and narrow for relegation.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2022 12:38

NathStPaul What has anyone seen in the last month to suggest we will win another game this season? I know probability suggests we will win again but how can anyone be certain of this based on the evidence?

Tbf, we did come pretty close only 4 days ago and law of probability suggests we will. Play like we did last night though and it is hard to imagine where the next win is coming from.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2022 12:43

The thing that has probably been saving Pauno for a long time is that he has been able to use the ridiculous absence list as an excuse, Saturday we have Yiadom and Rahman back and surely Ejaria is back soon.

Who is left out at that point?

Meite
McIntyre
Moore (lol)
Halilovic
Araruna
Hoilett
Dann
Azeez

Still pretty sizable but I would say we would have enough to put out a competent team with a little rotation here or there.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Jan 2022 12:47

tidus_mi2 The thing that has probably been saving Pauno for a long time is that he has been able to use the ridiculous absence list as an excuse, Saturday we have Yiadom and Rahman back and surely Ejaria is back soon.

Who is left out at that point?

Meite
McIntyre
Moore (lol)
Halilovic
Araruna
Hoilett
Dann
Azeez

Still pretty sizable but I would say we would have enough to put out a competent team with a little rotation here or there.

I was thinking the same. With Yioadom and Rahman back (hopefully) for this weekend, the back four should be stronger and may help us defensively. Being able to rotate Drinkwater out and have Rino with laurent probably provides better cover for the back four.

we then have that age old problem - can we score enough goals. Really need Swift to start performing again. Without that, wins are going to be difficult IMO

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 12:52

May as well forget Araruna - was squad player at best and we won’t see him again

I reckon there’s a fair chance all of those injured players except Meite are back for 29th, even if just fit enough for the bench. Maybe even Meite isn’t too far behind

Will take him and McIntyre a while to get back fully but the rest have all played fairly recently so should be reasonably fit

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jan 2022 12:55

If Pauno stays and we play like we did last night 1 or 2 at best. If we can get someone like Warnock who can bring in a couple of new signings who have a backbone we’ll just get enough wins to stay up.

Seriously, if Pauno stays we’re down and as we know he’ll be here for the rest of the season we’re oxf*rd. Yesterday was my last game until he has gone.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 22 Jan 2022 11:17

Brave...but have gone for yes :D

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Jan 2022 11:34

We managed to win two games during Bullivant's death spiral* when we looked even more bereft of ability and confidence than we do now, so I'd say yes. I'd actually go as far to say that if we can get back to something resembling a full team, we'll probably stay up quite comfortably. That 'if' is quite important though.

* against Stoke and Man City, who went down with us. Losing 15 of the last 17 games was quite a collapse though, which saw us set a club record seven consecutive league defeats, and equal that record eight games later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2022 22:26

I asked this on 19 January. Since then we've lost another three in a row, with no sign of a defensive improvement, despite having most of the squad fit.

I'm not sure he'll get another point at this rate.