MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

258 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by Hound » 22 Jan 2022 20:37

Hal, Hoilett and Ejaria useful additions for a bit of depth. Might all be back for next week. Quite like what I’ve seen of Hoilett so far

DD certainly needs to go

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 20:58

x2

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jan 2022 21:13

Hound Hal, Hoilett and Ejaria useful additions for a bit of depth. Might all be back for next week. Quite like what I’ve seen of Hoilett so far

DD certainly needs to go

Don't say Hal please. For a split second I thought we'd re-signed HRK.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2022 21:18

Drinkwater was really poor today, hopefully next week we can see something similar but with TDB instead of Drinkwater.

I'd like to believe that today is a better step forward. Yes, defensively inept but scoring goals will be crucial. As Pauno has said, this month feels like another pre-season for the team which I'd believe if we have had 18 players hit with Covid. I'm still believing he is correct when he says we are building and that February is the key month for us.

However, it's another defeat, another shed load of goals conceded and the same problems I highlighted after Luton, not scoring and losing games, but scoring and losing games as well. But I am believing we are getting closer to that win. Fortunately, the other bottom 4 team all lost today, so it's just another game ticked off if anything else.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2022 21:22

Just feel there’ll be more excuses following more defeats - always some reason. Too few games/ Too many games - we’ve got lots in Feb

We had a strong first 11 today and I don’t think I was as impressed with the display as a few others.

Still the Joao/Puscas thing certainly filled me with some hope - but how long will that last?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2022 21:28

Most managers will complain about something when they lose though, I don't think Pauno is any different to other managers in that respect but I can understand that there is always some other variable rather than our own performances, but he did put his hand up on Tuesday and say we were poor.

I think Joao and Puscas has potential, I thought that ever since Gomes partnered them and I think they could cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams. It was a strong side, but that's the first strong side we've been able to field in quite a long while, it just has been one of those seasons unfortunately.

For whatever reason, I'm slightly more confident in ourselves after today.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 21:31

Amen to that

Better times to come

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2022 21:35

I think what gives me some confidence about ourselves (as well as Cardiff) is that I feel like our run at the moment is down to poor form, players being missing, just general sloppy errors etc that can be rectified.

Whereas with Peterborough and Barnsley, I believe their poor form is because they are not cut out for this level of football, whereas I think we all know that our players at the club are. I'm still confident we will get more points than at least 3 teams. Derby I think their situation has taken over too much of their season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jan 2022 21:59

Can’t say I’m filled with the same confidence others have.

Even if we were better going forward at times, assuming everyone stays fit (lol), I just see management hampering us more and more. The longer we go without a win the more detrimental it’s going to be to what little confidence and motivation remain in the squad and I’m not really sure where that win is going to come from.

I can see us losing to posh at their place. Very feasibly.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 22:05

CountryRoyal Can’t say I’m filled with the same confidence others have.

Even if we were better going forward at times, assuming everyone stays fit (lol), I just see management hampering us more and more. The longer we go without a win the more detrimental it’s going to be to what little confidence and motivation remain in the squad and I’m not really sure where that win is going to come from.

nah…not with our returning squad….the Falsies game might be the watershed for our better things.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2022 22:06

CountryRoyal Can’t say I’m filled with the same confidence others have.

I can't see us losing at Posh, I can actually see us going there and winning to be honest.

Every game looks tough when you aren't winning but it only takes one win and looking at all the teams we have to face in February, I'd fancy us to go and win a fair few of them should we just nick one win, hopefully next week.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jan 2022 22:53

Holmes and Southwood are costing us big time now.
Holmes left their player onside for the second goal and once again he was badly beaten in the air and then left for dead for the fourth. He’s not up to it.
Southwood made another very expensive blunder for the third.

I thought we deserved a draw overall. The ref gave us absolutely nothing and was pathetic in allowing Huddersfield to constantly timewaste but they showed us how to protect a lead in the second half.

Puscas played well. Joao had a good first half but badly faded which was understandable. Rino worked hard throughout. Swift may have had two assists but both he and Drinkwater were pathetic in their non existent attempts to prevent Huddersfield attacking at Will in the first 25 minutes.

We offered very little in the last 30 minutes as once again we ran out of steam. We have to change the manager because a lot of these injuries and complete lack of fitness must, in part, be down to the coaching of these players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 23:05

Or a few being overstretched since coming back.

A little resilience, a little bit of players getting back up to full fitness…and a lot of overdue good luck….we’ll scrape through

Stick with it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2022 23:26

Zip Holmes and Southwood are costing us big time now.
Holmes left their player onside for the second goal and once again he was badly beaten in the air and then left for dead for the fourth. He’s not up to it.

I thought we deserved a draw overall. The ref gave us absolutely nothing and was pathetic in allowing Huddersfield to constantly timewaste but they showed us how to protect a lead in the second half.

Puscas played well. Joao had a good first half but badly faded which was understandable. Rino worked hard throughout. Swift may have had two assists but both he and Drinkwater were pathetic in their non existent attempts to prevent Huddersfield attacking at Will in the first 25 minutes.

We offered very little in the last 30 minutes as once again we ran out of steam. We have to change the manager because a lot of these injuries and complete lack of fitness must, in part, be down to the coaching of these players.

Er, no. Laurent played everyone on for their second. Not sure I'd be singling Holmes out for criticism for the fourth either. Yiadom and Drinkwater make an absolute hash of their challenges and I don't really see many players where Holmes is getting anywhere near doing anything about the shot. Didn't it all come from Laurent lunging in and giving the ref a decision to make on a free kick and while we argued Hudders capitalised?

He's not playing brilliantly, but you're calling out the wrong players on those goals IMO.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jan 2022 23:29

Snowflake Royal

Er, no. Laurent played everyone on for their second. Not sure I'd be singling Holmes out for criticism for the fourth either. Yiadom and Drinkwater make an absolute hash of their challenges and I don't really see many players where Holmes is getting anywhere near doing anything about the shot. Didn't it all come from Laurent lunging in and giving the ref a decision to make on a free kick and while we argued Hudders capitalised?

He's not playing brilliantly, but you're calling out the wrong players on those goals IMO.

Fair enough if it was Laurent for the second but it was definitely Holmes at fault for the fourth. He was badly beaten in the air and lost his man who then buried the ball into the back of the net. Absolutely not good enough from your centre half. He has to do better there.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Jan 2022 23:56

Whatever league we end up in next season we should sign an experienced goalkeeper on lowish wages like a Stockdale so we can drop Southwood if he has a run of errors like these.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jan 2022 23:57

Did I hear rightly that Pauno's suggested that January is basically pre-season for him?

Wasn't it a certain Brendan who laughably tried to argue the first few games were like his preseason? At least the chap was only here 5mins so it sounded a little less ridiculous. Pauno has been here almost 1.5 years and is only just learning to do his 'preseason' 442 experimentation :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2022 09:59

Millsy Did I hear rightly that Pauno's suggested that January is basically pre-season for him?

Wasn't it a certain Brendan who laughably tried to argue the first few games were like his preseason? At least the chap was only here 5mins so it sounded a little less ridiculous. Pauno has been here almost 1.5 years and is only just learning to do his 'preseason' 442 experimentation :lol:

In Pauno's defence it is like preseason because so much of the squad is returning from injury its like they've returning from the summer half fit.

But like Rodgers it's fukwitted and self inflicted.

258 posts