MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

258 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by blythspartan » 20 Jan 2022 19:43

At the moment with Pauno in charge we don’t look capable of winning on Saturday. The problem I have is how we finished last season with a much better starting 11, so even with players returning I don’t envisage much improvement. Pauno has proved that he only has one broken record.

Also, I don’t believe FFP can affect the owners ability to fire the manager but maybe it’s more complicated than I think.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 19:48

Partey on the bench for Arsenal tonight. So assuming Baba and Yiadom came back on the same plane. Should be good for this one

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 22:48

Joao simply has to start. No point saying anything completely outlandish like we should change formation, maybe start with 2 up top. We all know it will be the same bollocks, so at least let's play some decent players.

Not sure it will matter. Comfortable win for Huddersfield. Think we might manage a real shot on target though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2022 08:42

CountryRoyal Joao simply has to start. No point saying anything completely outlandish like we should change formation, maybe start with 2 up top. We all know it will be the same bollocks, so at least let's play some decent players.

Not sure it will matter. Comfortable win for Huddersfield. Think we might manage a real shot on target though.

yep obvs those teams are ones we'd go with. What it will be is probably (usual random training injuries permitting)

Southwood
Yiadom Holmes Morrison Baba
Drinkwater Laurent
Rino Swift TDB
Joao

Puscas, Holden, Ashcroft, Bristow, Clarke, Ejaria, Camara

Looks ok on paper, but obvs with the dire way he has us playing, it will just all get congested in midfield before Hudders score a couple and then easily defend the lead for the rest of the game

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 09:02

I can't help but get the feeling how psychologically massive a win tomorrow would be.

3 more points, teams around us having tough fixtures and with Derby's situation looking bleak, that could be a game changer. I'd never want any football club to go bust, but there's no doubt if they did go into liquidation it would benefit us. Suddenly Peterborough, Bristol City and Birmingham (Swansea too but they have many games in hand) would all lose 3 points and that would put them within touching distance as well as move us well clear of Peterborough. An unfortunate circumstance like that could actually be what keeps us up this season. Again, I'll stress, I wouldn't want Derby to go bust even if it meant it benefitted our position, I'd rather we just survived by being good enough to.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 21 Jan 2022 09:06

NathStPaul Don't go, save yourself the expense and effort. Ask yourself if the owner, manager or players really deserve your support.

This is not the time for deep philosophical essay style questioning.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 21 Jan 2022 09:07

I'd love to see Carroll sign the dotted line today, only to see the carnage him and Joao cause upfront. Mind you doubt Clowno would pick them both.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 09:15

It would be good to have Carroll sign today, I think everybody at the club would benefit from the club being active in the transfer market in bringing in a couple of fresh faces. I do wonder how difficult the EFL have made things for us to sign players this window.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 21 Jan 2022 09:16

If we score first, I think we win.

If we concede first, and don’t equalise very soon afterwards; I think it’s likely to be a 3 or 4 goal thrashing and the wheels will definitely fall off completely; with even more media focus on our shambolic state of affairs as a result…..

And the pressure will build even more…

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jan 2022 09:18

Is Joao is enough to change the team around? The team is imploding.
As far as i recall - he didn't exactly do much when he came on against Luton - (plus the final 20 games of last season)
Carroll had presence upfront but basically we just decided to launch speculative balls at him to battle for - then had no support. But he was class above so he looked good whilst doing it.
Puscas is just not match sharp and never really looked comfortable (or good) in the way we build up plays.

When the strikers HAD support - they all looked effective. Carroll was a perfect foil for Hoilet. Joao and Puscas started to have an understanding and put in some nice moves. Joao and Clarke could work, the team almost seemed motivated when they were on together albeit for 5 odd minutes v Luton. IIRC start of the season Swift was playing much higher up the pitch and was central - and we were scoring.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2022 09:35

YorkshireRoyal99 I can't help but get the feeling how psychologically massive a win tomorrow would be.

3 more points, teams around us having tough fixtures and with Derby's situation looking bleak, that could be a game changer. I'd never want any football club to go bust, but there's no doubt if they did go into liquidation it would benefit us. Suddenly Peterborough, Bristol City and Birmingham (Swansea too but they have many games in hand) would all lose 3 points and that would put them within touching distance as well as move us well clear of Peterborough. An unfortunate circumstance like that could actually be what keeps us up this season. Again, I'll stress, I wouldn't want Derby to go bust even if it meant it benefitted our position, I'd rather we just survived by being good enough to.

Too little too late imo.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 09:36

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I can't help but get the feeling how psychologically massive a win tomorrow would be.

Too little too late imo.

In what respect?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 09:37

Coppells Lost Coat Is Joao is enough to change the team around? The team is imploding.
As far as i recall - he didn't exactly do much when he came on against Luton - (plus the final 20 games of last season)
Carroll had presence upfront but basically we just decided to launch speculative balls at him to battle for - then had no support. But he was class above so he looked good whilst doing it.
Puscas is just not match sharp and never really looked comfortable (or good) in the way we build up plays.

When the strikers HAD support - they all looked effective. Carroll was a perfect foil for Hoilet. Joao and Puscas started to have an understanding and put in some nice moves. Joao and Clarke could work, the team almost seemed motivated when they were on together albeit for 5 odd minutes v Luton. IIRC start of the season Swift was playing much higher up the pitch and was central - and we were scoring.

He alone wouldn't be the difference but he's certainly a focal point up there for us in Carroll's absence and is better technically as well, he can be the most important player in our team on the day and I've thought this since he joined as well. If he can find any sort of form that he did for the first 70% ish of last season, that will be enough for us I think.

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 21 Jan 2022 09:39

The day Pauno realises that he's battling against his own tactics, and not the misfortune of injuries / any other excuse, is the day our results will start to improve. However, I don't think he's capable of doing so.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Jan 2022 10:04

A lot of doomsayers saying we're nailed on for relegation, perk up a bit would you, everyone around us bar Derby is constantly losing and probably think the same as us, hell, Hull probably thought the same and that Blackburn would smash them, didn't happen.

We've had close calls lately where we have frustratingly thrown away wins at the end of games, just get one of those across the line and maybe a bit of belief can come back into the team.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 10:06

tidus_mi2 A lot of doomsayers saying we're nailed on for relegation, perk up a bit would you, everyone around us bar Derby is constantly losing and probably think the same as us, hell, Hull probably thought the same and that Blackburn would smash them, didn't happen.

We've had close calls lately where we have frustratingly thrown away wins at the end of games, just get one of those across the line and maybe a bit of belief can come back into the team.

Yeah I agree, I always think it's never as bad as it seems from the outside looking in. Whilst we definitely are not in a good place at the moment, I feel as if we are closer to getting a result (win) sooner rather than later.

A good performance tomorrow, hopefully get across the line with a win, bring in a reinforcement or two here and there and get some players back after being injured and things will start to look up.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jan 2022 10:19

YorkshireRoyal99
tidus_mi2 A lot of doomsayers saying we're nailed on for relegation, perk up a bit would you, everyone around us bar Derby is constantly losing and probably think the same as us, hell, Hull probably thought the same and that Blackburn would smash them, didn't happen.

Yeah I agree, I always think it's never as bad as it seems from the outside looking in. Whilst we definitely are not in a good place at the moment, I feel as if we are closer to getting a result (win) sooner rather than later.

A good performance tomorrow, hopefully get across the line with a win, bring in a reinforcement or two here and there and get some players back after being injured and things will start to look up.

If we can string together x2 good 45 minute halfs in the same match we should be ok. We have been a team that has consistently looked adequate in half a game, whether it would be the 1st or 2nd. I just cant see it happening unless we change something for x1 of the halfs.
If Joao is the catalyst then great but i think VP will change something to get the best out of him - something he didn't do with other players.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2022 10:28

Southwood

Yiadom Holmes Morrisson Baba

Rinhomota Laurent

Swift Ejaria

Clarke Joao

Lets do this....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2022 10:28

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

Too little too late imo.

In what respect?

A win. I don't think it would be psychologically massive at all. I think it would be a surprise and a relief but we'd still be a rubbish soft touch in the next game and the next and the next.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2022 10:38

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Too little too late imo.

In what respect?

A win. I don't think it would be psychologically massive at all. I think it would be a surprise and a relief but we'd still be a rubbish soft touch in the next game and the next and the next.

We're actually a team that goes through peak and troughs really and we have been for a couple of seasons now to be fair. Although admittedly this "trough" has been going on for a fair period of time. Although I wouldn't be surprised that if we were to win one game, we'd go on to win 3/4 of the next 5 afterwards.

258 posts