BFTG - Huddersfield

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 10:51

I think the squad suits a 5-3-2, I think it has since our spending spree a few seasons ago. We haven't had enough quality wingers in our side for years, probably since Barrow left us. Barrow and Meite on either side was good and that could still work (obviously Barrow being replaced by Hoilett, Ejaria or Halilovic) but I do for sure think that a 5-3-2 or a 3-4-3 (to be more attacking) is the way to go with our squad as it is now.

Southwood
Holmes Morrison Dann
Yiadom Rino Laurent Rahman
Meite Joao Hoilett

Would be my preferred 3-4-3 side, with the flexibility to change Hoilett with TDB or Ejaria, Joao with Carroll (if he signs) and either midfielder with Swift/Drinkwater. I do think we'd need to recruit a wing back or two on either side to make this work though so that both Yiadom and Rahman are not playing every minute of every game.

A 5-3-2 would be:

Southwood
Holmes Morrison Dann
Swift
Puscas Joao

I think this would be better as it puts Swift into the team and again, plenty of options available from the bench if we needed to change it, but we would still need another wing back on either side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 10:59

Did strike me on saturday how few times I've actually seen Joao live at the ground. he looked proper quality first half

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 11:04

Hound Did strike me on saturday how few times I've actually seen Joao live at the ground. he looked proper quality first half

He's a really good player, even before all of his goals last season, you could see he was potentially one of the most important players in the team, how he links the attack, how he works well with other players around him and how he can do things on his own. He's a proper number 9, strong, powerful, not quick but also not a cart horse either. Good in the air and technically good on the ground and has a great strike on him from distance as well as being good in the box.

Any other occasion at £5m I'd say that's a pretty good signing all things considered. It's just a shame it's during a time where finances have taken over us at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 12:16

I worry about 3-5-2 given how often we're exploited and overloaded down the flanks.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2022 12:27

Hound
Stranded If we can have 3 CBs fit for any period of time then we go with a form of 5-3-2, where Rahman/Yiadom are deployed more as wing backs.

Need either Dann or McIntyre fit for it to work - can then drop Drinkwater to the bench - have Rino/Laurent as a pivot behind Swift with Joao/Puscas up top.

Then depending on fitness we have options such as Halilovic/Hoilett/Ejaria to freshen up the attacking midfield option and Drinkwater could come off the bench if needed.

That line up (if ever possible) should still see us be creative up top but much more solid at the back.

If we actually have a near full fit team, I'm genuinely at a loss to what would work best. Its good in a way as plenty of options. The Pauno 4-2-3-1 with the following looks decent enough

Yiadom-McIntyre/Dann/Morro/Holmes-Baba
Rino Laurent
Hoilett Swift Ejaria
Joao

or 5-3-2

Yiadom Dann Morro McIntyre Baba
Rino Laurent Swift
Puscas Joao

or as a 4-4-2

Yiadom - 2 Cbs - Baba
Rino
Laurent TDB
Swift
Puscas Joao

Really should have plenty enough with any sort of competent management

I know you don’t particularly like the “Yiadom can’t cross” line but for that reason, I’d be wary of using the 5-3-2 as a long term option. Wouldn’t mind it to scrape out wins until the end of the season but if we wanted to persevere with it, then we’d need wingbacks that actually contribute to scoring goals. I guess the diamond has a similar effect but certainly not to the same extent. Would probably stick with the first team as Joao’s holding up of the play is strong but I wouldn’t have Hoilett on the right

Need to be flexible whatever we do go for though, and make early and decisive subs if required and not just sit back and watch the opposition dominate

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 12:34

I support Hound on Yiadom can't cross. He's just not asked to and nor does he want to.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 12:44

I think that's why it would be wise to get another wing back in this month who is better at crossing a ball than Yiadom, I don't think we have anyone in our squad currently that would be decent at that role, Hoilett at best but maybe not worth it all things considered. TDB another who would possibly be wasted in that role.

3-5-2 we could get exploited but with Holmes and McIntyre playing considerable amounts of first team games at RB and LB, getting both into the side eventually might help cover a weakness in that area. You could even go further and say that Yiadom could play as part of the back 3 (either right or left sided) who could give us a bit more support in wider areas if we were to be stretched. We would obviously need another wing back to do that though.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Jan 2022 12:46

Yiadom is class in creating space and causing chaos down the flanks, if he could consistently cross well he'd be in the premier league. He's with us for a reason

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 12:48

Doesn't matter if he cant cross....we dont have a player that scores with his head.
Yaidom gets in behind the full back then over commits his play, he just needs to pass the ball across the box, play a percentage ball. We may get a corner / lucky deflection / fall to a CF / get a pen.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 24 Jan 2022 12:49

paultheroyal Oh for a fit and on form Danny Williams.

I liked Danny Williams but I think your memory is slightly rose tinted. I don’t miss his ability to run in to space on the flanks then forget why he is there, or his pointing skills.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 12:56

Coppells Lost Coat Doesn't matter if he cant cross....we dont have a player that scores with his head.
Yaidom gets in behind the full back then over commits his play, he just needs to pass the ball across the box, play a percentage ball. We may get a corner / lucky deflection / fall to a CF / get a pen.

That was my point - do you think he’s asked to? I suspect told not to do so

I think Baba has a decent cross on him tbh. I’d only give up on either of them as wing back options if I saw them regularly asked to get quick balls in to the box and do a bad job of it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 13:03

Mr Optimist

I liked Danny Williams but I think your memory is slightly rose tinted. I don’t miss his ability to run in to space on the flanks then forget why he is there, or his pointing skills.

Row z is also a lot safer these days

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 13:59

Snowflake Royal
Mr Optimist

Row z is also a lot safer these days

Played great in the last 6 months of his contract though.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jan 2022 14:56

Hound That was my point - do you think he’s asked to? I suspect told not to do so

I think it would be unwise to tell any player not to put the ball in a dangerous area, or at least attempt. As mentioned, you may get lucky, quite often you'd get a corner / throw in. You dont need to be amazing at it, the margin of error is fairly large. Putting any kind of ball anywhere vaguely near the 6 yard box is better than running it out of play / getting muscled off the ball.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 15:00

Coppells Lost Coat
Hound That was my point - do you think he’s asked to? I suspect told not to do so

I think it would be unwise to tell any player not to put the ball in a dangerous area, or at least attempt. As mentioned, you may get lucky, quite often you'd get a corner / throw in. You dont need to be amazing at it, the margin of error is fairly large. Putting any kind of ball anywhere vaguely near the 6 yard box is better than running it out of play / getting muscled off the ball.

but i get the impression they have clearly been told to a) pull it back to the edge of the box, or b) try and work a clear crossing chance rather than play the percentages on getting it early

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 15:18

Hound
Coppells Lost Coat

but i get the impression they have clearly been told to a) pull it back to the edge of the box, or b) try and work a clear crossing chance rather than play the percentages on getting it early

Our management could be charitably called unwise too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 15:21

Hound
Coppells Lost Coat

If you have Carroll in the box, maybe alongside Joao or Puscas, you could probably expect that Yiadom, or anyone for that matter, would be advised to put any sort of ball into the middle of the area, or just into a decent area in general for players to attack. When you've only got 1 striker in the box, even if it is Carroll, I can imagine you would be told to work a clear crossing chance because you've got one less man to aim for, even if he is really good in the air, he's still well outnumbered whereas with 2 forwards in there your chances go up significantly.

I'm hoping, if we can get Carroll to tie down to a new deal until the end of the season, in any games we are losing we can be a little bit braver and throw all of Carroll, Joao and Puscas (until Meite is fit again) up top in games we are losing. I remember out defeat to Millwall at home last season and Gary Rowett put all his eggs in one basket and brought on Mason Bennett, Matt Smith and Tom Bradshaw (or all 3 were on the field at one time) along with his wide players and that bravery was the difference for them at the end.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 24 Jan 2022 15:29

Mr Optimist

or his ability to hide behind an opposition player so he cannot receive the pass when hes knackered

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Jan 2022 15:31

Stranded If we can have 3 CBs fit for any period of time then we go with a form of 5-3-2, where Rahman/Yiadom are deployed more as wing backs.

Need either Dann or McIntyre fit for it to work - can then drop Drinkwater to the bench - have Rino/Laurent as a pivot behind Swift with Joao/Puscas up top.

Then depending on fitness we have options such as Halilovic/Hoilett/Ejaria to freshen up the attacking midfield option and Drinkwater could come off the bench if needed.

That line up (if ever possible) should still see us be creative up top but much more solid at the back.

Yes, with neither of our more senior full-backs (let alone the back-up players) much good at defending but reasonable as wing-backs that seems to be the way forward.

Incidentally with their no.16 Thomas looking lively all game I was wondering when was the last time that we made a successful signing from non-league on the basis that Antonio wasn't when with us.

At our level many clubs seem to uncover the odd good player, usually as a youngster with a big club who hasn't made it early on but has done well at non-league level, so it's kind of strange that we haven't.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 24 Jan 2022 15:31

3-4-3

Southwood
Holmes Morrison Dann
Meite Joao Hoilett

A 5-3-2 would be:

Southwood
Holmes Morrison Dann
Swift
Puscas Joao

happy with either of these tbh

the key though is keeping all of those players fit and playing.
do we really think if we had had those two teams fit for the last 3 months we would be where we are?