BFTG - Huddersfield

103 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Huddersfield

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Jan 2022 17:38

Proverbial game of two halves (though our DMs were missing in both). First 60 min were LOLable but cringeworthy fun.

We looked good going forward and had goals in us. Huddersfield's defence was there for the taking but my God we are unfit. I don't mind losing, but I hate going out with a whimper.

Last 20-30 min their keeper had nothing to do at all. Something is very wrong with the coaching at this club

Notable positives:
Rhino, Yiadom, João and Puscas all looked decent

Notable negatives:
Drinkwater was park football quality and Swift was ineffective. Most of their goals came from a line of their players lining up in front our defence with no pressing. This defensive side of midfield was just woeful

Not fussed about the Southwood spill, there were 3 other goals he couldn't really do anything about.

Paunos inability to make a change and chase a game highlighted again. League 1 beckons sadly

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jan 2022 17:51

So everybody screaming or us to play two up front and when we do they are screaming we are short in midfield, the last time i looked you could only play 11 in a team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jan 2022 17:54

windermereROYAL So everybody screaming or us to play two up front and when we do they are screaming we are short in midfield, the last time i looked you could only play 11 in a team.

Though he played 2 strikers were they actually playing as 2 up front or was one of them essentially playing as an attacking midfielder?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Jan 2022 18:08

That was and absolute disgrace, how can you turn up to a game and not have done any preparation,

It was clear everyone hates 150yr lager so to have no Good Old Boy was an absolute disgrace.
#wbbshambles

And to charge £5.60 a pint, yet not manage to have any, a complete #wbbshambles

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2022 18:19

Some positives from Joao/Puscas - the first two goals were quality. Couple of good assists for Swift. Rino looked good. Full backs did well going forward

However

Defending first half abysmal

Another Southwood howler

Absolutely without a clue once the scored their 4th - again awful defending for that. You’d not have any idea we were a goal down and supposedly fighting for our lives in that last 30. Clueless, unfit, ridiculously late subs. The management of the team is just appalling

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 22 Jan 2022 18:23

I thought our build-up play was much better today. If we look shaky when we try to defend, we may as well lean into it and attack more.

Felt we were unlucky at times, but probably less skilled as an overall team than Huddersfield. Our lack of confidence probably the biggest difference.

I was disappointed that we didn't really trouble the keeper in the second half, but pleased at how much more fight we had. Much more confident of staying up after seeing that.

Don't get why people are being so harsh on Southwood. Anyone having to make that many saves per game will make a mistake every now and then.
Last edited by ILoveMoonPig on 22 Jan 2022 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jan 2022 18:25

Southwood needs to decide whether to punch or catch, very bad choice, he should have cleared out everything with a punch. good keeper but no other options now, needs to cut out the f*ck ups.

JR

by JR » 22 Jan 2022 19:10

Positives:

- Finally changed formation and played two upfront
- Realised 5-3-2 wasn’t working and changed to diamond
- Joao looked class, his terrorising best, in the first half
- Puscas played his best game for a long time. Will benefit greatly from confidence of goal and a strike partner
- players coming back to fitness
- Swift’s assists
- Rino strong and powerful today
- Yiadom marauding down right. Positive despite impact of AFCON
- Everyone else lost so overall we are one game closer to safety.
- Got to go crazy celebrating a goal on 3 occasions

Negatives:
- Drinkwater truly dreadful. Chelsea are literally pouring £1/2m down the drain every month
- Swift sloppy
- Defence at sixes and sevens first 30
- I fear Southwood will lose confidence and stop coming for crosses
- Ref dreadful, very weak with time wasting and petty rubbish from Huddersfield
- Joao left on too long
- Game was calling out for Camara and Clarke in last 15 so odd subs.

However, despite the loss, I am more optimistic than before the game. We’ve got quality coming back in to the side, so performances should comfortably improve from here on in.

I’m confident we’ll accumulate enough points to stay up, although partly because of the dross below us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 19:17

With you there JR

Might just give The falsies a game

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Jan 2022 19:32

4-4-2 Is a great formation as a reset and getting back to basics. I would much rather we still with this formation and at least give it a go, as opposed to the terrible football served up the past 6 months.
Puscas was a different player with Joao by his side and took his goal well and ran his socks off all game. We all knew this, there is a good goal scorer in their and played in the right formation he'll score goals.
With this formation you need wide players, which we really haven't got. Maybe, Azeez on the right and Hoilett on the left would work.
The midfield two for me would be Rhino and Laurent, both have energy to burn and can pick a pass (Yes i would drop Swift)
The defense will get better as they play together a bit more.
QPR will be a tough game, and will be interesting to see if pauno will stick or twist!!
Much more happy after todays defeat, at least we gave it a go, and lets face it, Huddersfield were one of the best attacking sides we've played all season.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 22 Jan 2022 19:35

Positives
- showed fight
- I didn’t leave the ground angry like I’ve done previous games
- joao will get better with fitness but already showing what he can do
- Rino
- Full backs returning
- Puscas confidence and finally playing in a two
- Fans didn’t stop singing all game

Negatives
- we lost again
- Laurent is still doing my head in, could have done more for their 4th goal imo
- Hudd looked like scoring every attack in first half
- Southwood is a real concern, worried confidence may be knocked and feel an experienced keeper is needed if we can get one in
- PA system, what is that theme park music at half time?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Jan 2022 19:41

Need to get Drinkwater out of the starting line up. Gives no cover for the back four at all. I’d have subbed him off at HT and brought on Dele for the second half

Also would have taken Joao off with 15 to go and just got Clarke to run around like a loon, harassing defenders and putting them under pressure.

Swift, other than the Puscas assist, might as well not bothered turning up. I’d sell him and then play either Ejaria or Hal in the 10 role

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 19:45

We have not had a ‘team’ for months now.

Today were those green shoots that we may just have one to call a ‘team’ again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2022 19:50

windermereROYAL So everybody screaming or us to play two up front and when we do they are screaming we are short in midfield, the last time i looked you could only play 11 in a team.

We weren't short in midfield, we were shit in midfield, but I understand your confusion, those two words are similar.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2022 19:52

Hound Some positives from Joao/Puscas - the first two goals were quality. Couple of good assists for Swift. Rino looked good. Full backs did well going forward

However

Another Southwood howler

Absolutely without a clue once the scored their 4th - again awful defending for that. You’d not have any idea we were a goal down and supposedly fighting for our lives in that last 30. Clueless, unfit, ridiculously late subs. The management of the team is just appalling

Didn’t Laurent give the ball away in the build up to the first?

He certainly played three attackers onside whilst marking no one for the second. And gave away the freekick and was busy arguing about it for the fourth right?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jan 2022 19:54

Terribly frustrating to score 3 at home and lose again, but a big improvement on the dross we`ve seen recently, I`m quietly confident we are close to turning the corner with players coming back.
I was furious with 2 minutes to go when Puscas won the ball out wide and rolled a simple ball to Hoillett to fire in a first time cross, but slowed it down, rolled a ball to Swift 25 yards out to fire over the bar.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 22 Jan 2022 20:02

Lots of positives from the game today when you compare it to the rubbish we have seen lately. But if you keep conceding goals it counts for nothing and it's not been addressed all season.

I honestly hope Pauno is right and February will be when things start to improve for us.

But I fear we will be in League 1 next season ans potentially find ourselves in another relegation scrap.

To finish on a positive the 442 Diamond offers us some hope if we can get they midfielder sorted.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2022 20:04

Much better tempo, intensity and purpose first half. But the team can't do it for 90 minutes. So many of them were looking really leggy second half. So why take off possibly the fittest player... even if his errors had cost us some goals.

Rally really bad management, but at least he actually made some changes. Though they quickly disappeared or were wrong into the 2nd half.

The players still playing for him. Though they should be downing tools and demanding a competent replacement.

Yiadom and Rahman are a big return for us. Seems strange to say that conceding 4 but gave us so much more going forward and if we can just sort out the screen they'll be good.

If I was manager I'd send Drinkwater back tomorrow.

Camara also needs to get minutes every game. He tries to make things happen.

Great to see Joao back, and omg, give Puscas support and he can actually play football. How can the manager not see it before... we've all known for over a year.

Absolute disgrace on the bench from the coaches. No discipline whatsoever.

oxf*rd the oxf*rd oxf*rd oxf*rd off Pauno you useless pcunt and take that arsehole Dai with you.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2022 20:16

Snowflake Royal
Hound Some positives from Joao/Puscas - the first two goals were quality. Couple of good assists for Swift. Rino looked good. Full backs did well going forward

However

Another Southwood howler

Didn’t Laurent give the ball away in the build up to the first?

He certainly played three attackers onside whilst marking no one for the second. And gave away the freekick and was busy arguing about it for the fourth right?

Quite possibly - was the other end of the ground for the first 3 goals but Laurent certainly didn’t cover himself in glory defensively

On the plus side, Think he did set swift away for our second with a nice turn and pass ? Not seen the replays though

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2022 20:18

The ‘power’ of pause and play

Too much fine-tune analysis guys

Get to the game

103 posts