Karl Hein -Confirmed

127 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Karl Hein -Confirmed

by morganb » 24 Jan 2022 16:55

windermereROYAL 6 foot 4 inches, big lad.

Everyone is expecting this new chap to play in goal.

Andy Carroll is 6ft 4
Karl Hein is 6ft 4

Coincidence? Not if that's the only search criteria Reading put into we-find-any-player.com

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Jan 2022 16:56

Coppells Lost Coat
Millsy Southwood isn't as solid as we want to make ourselves believe he is. Several errors made.

He's clearly not just backup as we already have Andresson. While Hein may be another Virginia, he may also be decent so I'm up for this.
My only confusion is if we're worried about Southwood's form why not try Andresson rather than get another relatively unproven lad in.

I bet Southwood has had to deal with a significantly more shots than any other keeper in the league. Significantly more looping crosses. Plus we put 10 men up against him for corners / freekicks on top of what ever the opposition throw in too. He has become a target for the opposition.
Yes a few costly mistakes but probably saved more than he should have.

+1 will be a great shame if the club use LS as a scapegoat considering we have seen little from the defence to protect him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Jan 2022 16:57

NathStPaul
AthleticoSpizz Awwwe, we’ll take any glimmer of positivity right now.

One word, Martinez… :D

I get that side if it but the difference is Martinez had played a lot of first team league football before joining us, was a :?: :?: lot older too.
I wouldn't have been against an experienced keeper coming in but for us to sign a 19 year old kid on loan fills me with dread.
yeah…it is all a bit sh1t or bust tbf.
One can only assume that he’s been fully ‘scouted’ and has impressed :?: one hopes anyway

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 16:58

I do think it is hard to prize away an experienced goalkeeper from another club on loan. Wages will always be an issue, but even other than that, the club will also need to replace the player they are loaning out as well which can be difficult. His age and experience is the biggest concern, but I'm hopeful he will do well. I was sceptical at first but then saw Southwood's error on Saturday along with the few he's made this month and thought that it may be the best thing we could do to bring in another goalkeeper, even if it was just for cover/competition.

It's quite a hostile atmosphere at the club at the moment and I can't imagine it will feel any young players with confidence if they are making errors given our position at the moment, it's never likely to end well. It's probably a sensible move to bring someone else in, although it's a risky move to go for another youngster who may suffer the same fate, unless we are absolutely certain that he is an improvement.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 24 Jan 2022 17:05

Lots of ex Reading connections now at Arsenal (Bibbo, Herron, Ali). Would hope they’ve said to the club this kid is the real deal and would genuinely challenge Southwood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 17:14

hughsies no.1
Snowflake Royal Well glad to see the club proving they're still utterly clueless.

Southwood has made a lot of errors of late, we are bang in a relegation battle and last thing we need is costly keeper errors. Club/ Pauno clearly felt this was an area that needs addressing for the run-in. So I wouldn't call that clueless at all. One question mark would be around whether we should have got an experienced keeper or not but FFP could have scuppered that and this guy is very well thought of.

Excellent reason to sign a 19 year old with no experience.

Southwood's errors are being overplayed. He's made two big mistakes and been suspect on another 2 or 3 goals in over 20 appearances. Otherwise he's been quality. It's his first season and the defence is a shambles. It was never going to error free. But for him, Fulham would have hit double figures.

Compared to most of the rest of the team he's making far fewer costly errors. Laurent, for example, has cost us twice as many goals in the last few weeks. Drinkwater has been a constant source of errors.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 24 Jan 2022 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2022 17:14

Coppells Lost Coat
Millsy Southwood isn't as solid as we want to make ourselves believe he is. Several errors made.

He's clearly not just backup as we already have Andresson. While Hein may be another Virginia, he may also be decent so I'm up for this.
My only confusion is if we're worried about Southwood's form why not try Andresson rather than get another relatively unproven lad in.

I bet Southwood has had to deal with a significantly more shots than any other keeper in the league. Significantly more looping crosses. Plus we put 10 men up against him for corners / freekicks on top of what ever the opposition throw in too. He has become a target for the opposition.

As you say, target for the opposition, who do their homework and do more long shots/ looping crosses. That doesn't vindicate him, it just proves he's a liability who can be targetted easily.

If he gets more shots coming at him than anyone else (which may be the case, I think someone said he is high up statwise in terms of saves this season) I wonder what his error to save ratio is. How many extra games does a standard keeper have to play to face the same number of shots... and how many errors do they make across those games?

I want Pauno Out asap but I don't think his issue has been not identifying the right players needed eg Carroll, Rahman, crucial signings at the right time.

But yeh it is a bit odd. Bring in a proven top class keeper, sure, but another academy guy? Weird. Let's hope it works out well.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Jan 2022 17:24

Stupid signing, stupid club. We deserve to be relegated with how much of shambLOLes we are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 17:26

Actually, I'd take this as a positive signing if it means Luke is being promoted to manager to replace Paunovic and so can't stay between the sticks.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 24 Jan 2022 17:27

We appear to have a Flim-Flam man at the helm!
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2022 17:30

Millsy
Coppells Lost Coat

As you say, target for the opposition, who do their homework and do more long shots/ looping crosses. That doesn't vindicate him, it just proves he's a liability who can be targetted easily.

If he gets more shots coming at him than anyone else (which may be the case, I think someone said he is high up statwise in terms of saves this season) I wonder what his error to save ratio is. How many extra games does a standard keeper have to play to face the same number of shots... and how many errors do they make across those games?

I want Pauno Out asap but I don't think his issue has been not identifying the right players needed eg Carroll, Rahman, crucial signings at the right time.

But yeh it is a bit odd. Bring in a proven top class keeper, sure, but another academy guy? Weird. Let's hope it works out well.

He's not necessarily being targeted, we're just too shit to prevent the shots and crosses coming in. His confidence has taken a knock since the Derby game, but before then he was solid coming for crosses. Much more so than Rafael imo.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 24 Jan 2022 17:37

Snowflake Royal
hughsies no.1
Snowflake Royal Well glad to see the club proving they're still utterly clueless.

Southwood has made a lot of errors of late, we are bang in a relegation battle and last thing we need is costly keeper errors. Club/ Pauno clearly felt this was an area that needs addressing for the run-in. So I wouldn't call that clueless at all. One question mark would be around whether we should have got an experienced keeper or not but FFP could have scuppered that and this guy is very well thought of.

Excellent reason to sign a 19 year old with no experience.

Southwood's errors are being overplayed. He's made two big mistakes and been suspect on another 2 or 3 goals in over 20 appearances. Otherwise he's been quality. It's his first season and the defence is a shambles. It was never going to error free. But for him, Fulham would have hit double figures.

Compared to most of the rest of the team he's making far fewer costly errors. Laurent, for example, has cost us twice as many goals in the last few weeks. Drinkwater has been a constant source of errors.

I do agree with you, especially with Laurent as I have mentioned numerous times in here.

However, I think this signing clearly indicates Pauno has lost faith in Southwood and the new lad will come straight in as #1.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 17:45

If only the club would act on the complete lack of faith everyone has in Pauno.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jan 2022 17:48

Possibly the most Partridge shrug of a signing I've ever seen

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2022 17:54

Snowflake Royal If only the club would act on the complete lack of faith everyone has in Pauno.

Ennit

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jan 2022 17:58

genome Possibly the most Partridge shrug of a signing I've ever seen

It is a Hein-ious use of our meager wage budget.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jan 2022 18:01

Club working overtime on Twitter to push this transfer. Do they think we will all forget our shite manager and Kia the crook?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Jan 2022 18:01

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal If only the club would act on the complete lack of faith everyone has in Pauno.

Ennit

tru dat

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 24 Jan 2022 18:04

We've 19 games to go. We are a club that does tend to have more than its fair share of injuries,
If LS got injured we would have been knackered. We have cover. Simple as that. Not costing a fortune, only here for
three and a bit months. Most other postions SHOULD be covered with injured players returning.
And let's be honest, we are not in a position to pick and choose who we want.
Can't quite understand the ridiculous levels of negativity. Then I remembered......it's HobNob.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jan 2022 18:04

Barney We've 19 games to go. We are a club that does tend to have more than its fair share of injuries,
If LS got injured we would have been knackered. We have cover. Simple as that. Not costing a fortune, only here for
three and a bit months. Most other postions SHOULD be covered with injured players returning.
And let's be honest, we are not in a position to pick and choose who we want.
Can't quite understand the ridiculous levels of negativity. Then I remembered......it's HobNob.

Pathetic post. Not shocked.

127 posts