346 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (a)

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2022 08:04

When : Saturday 29th January 2022, 3pm
Where : Loftus Road Stadium, South Africa Road, London, W12 7PA
Capacity : 18,439

Reading’s continuing disaster of a season next rocks up at Loftus Road for a struggle with a fairly decent QPR.

The management of Reading rather surprisingly started with two strikers against Huddersfield and as a result the team looked fairly useful in attack and had the management got the midfield balance right the club might have got something from the game. Whether we now all go back to one up front remains to be seen but the “experiment” at least shows there might be some entertainment in the opponent’s penalty area for a change rather than what we’ve all become used to this season.

The fakes are 4th in the division so yet another game against a team in rather good form but at least there is a little bit of hope now (at least for a week or two) as not only has the thought the management suddenly aren’t afraid of playing two up front but there are rumours that the injury volumes might be starting to look more like an injury leaflet.

QPR are on a run of 4 and possibly 5 (as they are scheduled to play Swansea at home tonight) straight wins so this is going to be a very difficult game. Goals regularly arrive from a number of players; Lyndon Dykes (6), Ilias Chair (6), Charlie Austin (4), Chris Willock (6) and Andre Gray (5) so it’s really a case of stopping the supply and service to the Rangers’ attacking players which may mean the management return to the tried and trusted(!) one up front in an effort to fill out midfield and defence to stop the opponents playing - and we all know how well that works.

On the injury front QPR will be without Sam McCallum and Stefan Johansen, while the aforementioned Ilias Chair (Morocco) and Seny Dieng (Senegal) are both still involved at AFCON. As alluded to earlier, Reading’s catalogue seems to have become a much more normal for a club and has actually dropped below five crocks for the first time since practically the opening games of the season with only Scott Dann, Felipe Araruna, Yakou Meite and possibly Jokull Andresson on the treatment table. However both Liam Moore and Junior Hoilett will also miss the game due to World Cup duty with Jamaica and Canada respectively.

Lastly, the new loan signing from Arsenal, Karl Jakob Hein, will probably take over in goal from Luke Southwood so what effect that’ll have on things is a total unknown. He is highly rated and despite being only 19, and having never played a domestic English game, is the current Estonian international keeper (12 caps since Sep 2020). There is also a bit of form for him to follow as Mart Poom was fairly useful keeper who was a full international at 20 when Estonia became an actual thing in international terms.

Referee

Jeremy Simpson

Previously

20 Oct 2021 > Reading 2-3 Blackpool
02 Jan 2021 > Huddersfield 1-2 Reading
28 Nov 2020 > Reading 3-1 Bristol City
29 Feb 2020 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
30 Nov 2019 > Wigan Athletic 1-3 Reading
22 Oct 2019 > Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Reading
23 Feb 2019 > Reading 1-1 Rotherham United
22 Sep 2018 > Reading 3-0 Hull City
21 Apr 2018 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Reading
14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

QPR and Reading are regular opponents. Right back into Victorian times they’ve been knocking six bells out of each other with the only gap of any real note being when QPR caught a bout of ambition back in the late 60s which saw them disappear into Loftusier circulation for the best part of 3 decades. Luckily Reading had been successfully vaccinated against ambition at some point in the mid 1950s and so managed to avoid such pretensions until well into the 1990s.

Yet despite this and the ongoing protestations from both camps over who has the actual right to wear blue and white hoops this is another of those should be derby games that aren’t derby games.

So this is the 48th season and 96th time the two clubs have gone in search of Football League points. It’s therefore the 48th visit to the “Meccano bowl”, that hybrid matchbox of steel and wood that masquerades as a football stadium down in deepest, darkest Shepherd’s Bush.

As you’d probably expect the home side has had much the better of things with Reading managing only 12 victories compared to the 20 so far notched by the “fakes”. Finally Reading recent run is 2 wins in the last 9 league trips to this part of West London.

How to follow the game
  1. Get a ticket (if you can afford it)
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (a)

by Simmops » 25 Jan 2022 08:42

People please do the same ans boycott rfc and do anything else. Go B&Q, non league,get ontop of your wife or husband

I hope we get battered

The club don't deserve our support and our money

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 08:44

Suspect this will be another defeat. Would like to see some progress from the last game, maybe some of the injured players back on the bench and getting minutes, and not a complete shit-show like our defence has been in the last month or so

Season starts again against Bristol for me. Should have everyone back then. Anything at all from this game is a bonus

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Jan 2022 08:56

More than likely a loss but hopefully a battling performance.

Strange to say as we shipped four goals but same team as last game but with Hein starting and TDB in for Danny "plays like he's been drinking more than water" Drinkwater.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Jan 2022 09:07

I have a sneaky feeling we might win this one, a bit like Fulham away. If we are going to survive we need to start pulling off the odd upset. Expecting to win games that we think we should in this league normally ends in tears. We need 3 points on Saturday to start us off on the right track.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 09:19

Here is what I think the team will be, not what I want it to be:

Hein

Yiadom
Morrison
Holmes
Baba

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift

Puscas
Joao

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2022 09:23

NathStPaul Here is what I think the team will be, not what I want it to be:

Hein

Yiadom
Morrison
Holmes
Baba

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift

Puscas
Joao

Obviously the 'keeper situation is weird, but I wouldn't be totally against that team.

Would probably rather Hoilett in for TD-B, but with the pitch at Loftus Road being so narrow, a diamond might be the better way to go.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 09:26

Hendo

Hein

Yiadom
Morrison
Holmes
Baba

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift

Puscas
Joao

Obviously the 'keeper situation is weird, but I wouldn't be totally against that team.

Would probably rather Hoilett in for TD-B, but with the pitch at Loftus Road being so narrow, a diamond might be the better way to go.

Would be very hard for Southwood to come back from being dropped in favour of a 19 year old who has never played a senior league game but I can't see Hein not starting.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 09:30

Hoilett is away with Canada

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2022 09:34

Hound Hoilett is away with Canada

Didn't realise that, TD-B it is :)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 09:34

blythspartan I have a sneaky feeling we might win this one, a bit like Fulham away. If we are going to survive we need to start pulling off the odd upset. Expecting to win games that we think we should in this league normally ends in tears. We need 3 points on Saturday to start us off on the right track.

I'm with you on this, I'm quietly confident about Saturday as well.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 25 Jan 2022 09:49

4 of our next 5 games are away :shock: Would love to pick up any sort of result on Saturday.
But assuming we lose, I would be looking at picking up something from each of our next three games....Bristol C (a), Coventry (h) and Peterboro (a). Anything this Saturday is a brucie bonus :D

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Jan 2022 10:01

NathStPaul
Hendo

Hein

Yiadom
Morrison
Holmes
Baba

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift

Puscas
Joao

Would be very hard for Southwood to come back from being dropped in favour of a 19 year old who has never played a senior league game but I can't see Hein not starting.

Strange as I cant see Hein starting....no real senior experience and only been with the team for a couple of sessions - he has no reputation to fall back on. Our coaches have to see him and see what level he is actually at before throwing him in. If he is genuine upgrade then let our staff have the chance to decide that.

The rest of the team I agree with...

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 25 Jan 2022 14:00

Anyone know the rules of QPR being able to request a postponement if players away on International duty.

If Morocco and Senegal win their games today, that’s two they are missing and Gray has been called up to the Jamaica squad for this weekend too. Three is the amount isn’t it?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Jan 2022 14:21

gazzer, loyal royal Anyone know the rules of QPR being able to request a postponement if players away on International duty.

If Morocco and Senegal win their games today, that’s two they are missing and Gray has been called up to the Jamaica squad for this weekend too. Three is the amount isn’t it?

Looks like QPR have had three missing for the whole of AFCON so are not taking up the option to postpone:

Dieng - Senegal (play today)
Chair - Morocco (play today)
Kakay - Sierra Leone (already out)

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qp ... re-090122/

If the nations get through to the quarter-finals, any QPR players involved will be out for our home game with Reading.

Apparently Fulham v Blackpool is at risk though:

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... ps-3538111

The runaway league leaders look set to lose Antonee Robinson (USA), Michael Hector and Bobby Reid (both Jamaica) to international duty.

Clubs are able to request a postponement if they have three or more players called up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2022 14:24

Chair missing would be good, decent player.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2022 14:26

Hendo Chair missing would be good, decent player.

Yup. Would expect Morocco to beat Malawi, so good for us. Although they haven't exactly been doing badly without him!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 14:27

Hendo Chair missing would be good, decent player.

Yep great news. Sofa so good.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2022 14:34

QPR one of only 4 sides in the Championship not to lose this year so far - we've played 2 of the other 3 (Fulham, Huddersfield). Forest the other.

So away win then.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jan 2022 15:17

Stranded QPR one of only 4 sides in the Championship not to lose this year so far - we've played 2 of the other 3 (Fulham, Huddersfield). Forest the other.

So away win then.

After Saturday we will have already played four of the strongest sides twice in Fulham, QPR, Huddersfield and Middlesboro and Derby are mid table on form alone.
So a lot of weaker teams still to play again.

346 posts