McNulty

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McNulty

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2022 12:50

Wasn't it Clement playing Meite on the right of 3 what basically made him as a player here.

Debt of gratitude owed there.

I think he also broke Rino into the side.

Another debt owed there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2022 12:58

Snowflake Royal Wasn't it Clement playing Meite on the right of 3 what basically made him as a player here.

Another debt owed there.

Meite played in several positions under Clement IIRC, on the right, left, and centre. Certainly wasn’t consistently on the right as I remember Clement went for the dreadful duo of Gunter and Aluko on that side on too many occasions. But Clement was definitely the one to give him a chance. Could be under the wrong impression and only based off a guess but don’t think Stam was too keen on him

Definitely brought Rino into the team though

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Jan 2022 13:31

muirinho
Snowflake Royal And yet the list of strikers who had that ability who have failed here is quite long.
Vydra
Grabban
Sharpe
Yakubu
Sa
Appiah (pace)

and judging that McNulty definitely couldn't step up based on 15 bit part appearances seems a little much.

Puscas doesn't really have what you describe and neither did Church. Both have had decent seasons with us at some point.

You're surely having a laugh mentioning Yakubu! He practically had his pension by then.
Grabban came to us on the back of a season and a half of barely playing at all, let alone scoring - not surprising he never really got going in a half-season loan.
Sa did alright for us, McDermott either didn't like him or there was something else going on behind the scenes, because he didn't really feature after that. Note he's only had one decent season since he left us
Appiah is at best a League One striker, he did no worse for us than he did for any other Championship team he played with.

Sharpe was in the doldrums in his career when he came to us, the following two seasons at different clubs he was not better. He needed the drop-down to League 1 to rediscover himself.

And Vydra is a very streaky inconsistent player, he's had seasons just as bad in terms of goals scored, elsewhere.

If you're saying - we're bad at persuading decent strikers to come and play for us, that's one thing. But I don't think you can say the strikers we have had play significantly worse for us than they do for anybody else. Of the above, the only one I think it applies to is Grabban.

Puscas and Vydra really worked their socks off when they weren't scoring, despite the system not suiting their strengths. McNulty just isn't that kind of player.
I think, btw, if Vydra had been ours rather than a loan player, he'd still have been kept and played the following season because of what he offered elsewhere on the pitch, same as Puscas is now.
If OTOH you're a poacher that isn't poaching, and you don't do anything else you're not going to get the same chances

Also missing Chris Martin on that list!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2022 13:35

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Wasn't it Clement playing Meite on the right of 3 what basically made him as a player here.

Another debt owed there.

Meite played in several positions under Clement IIRC, on the right, left, and centre. Certainly wasn’t consistently on the right as I remember Clement went for the dreadful duo of Gunter and Aluko on that side on too many occasions. But Clement was definitely the one to give him a chance. Could be under the wrong impression and only based off a guess but don’t think Stam was too keen on him

Stam brought in Meite, but barely played him season 1 and shipped him out season 2. Think the expectation was Meite would drift away, but Clement started him up front in pre season friendlies, where he impressed far more than everyone expected. Think it took off from there. So yes, probably Clement's big success. Side note - didn't realise he scored 12 in 19 starts last year. His goal record for us is exceptional.

He did bring in Rino, but I think there was a feeling he should have done so sooner. But some credit due.

Guess we shouldn't revise too much with PC though - the football was generally turgid and we were at a pretty low ebb when he left. Nobody was particularly disappointed when he left, even though there was a sense that he was very slowly turning the corner

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 28 Jan 2022 15:05

Can't help but feel that losing Puscas on loan, will be a blow. He did really well against Huddersfield, and scored. Play him in the right position, and he will do well, we all knew that. Now we start to do that and we ship him.

One mistake after another.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jan 2022 16:45

It has been obvious that Puscas in a two would be the way to go throughout his time here, the problem is manager's haven't played that way for whatever reason. I think he could have a big impact on our team in the 2nd half of the season if played with a partner, that's really the crooks of it.

Meite did make his way into the team under Clement as did Rino, those were definitely two highlights of his time. As said, I don't think Meite was a RW, a CF or a LW under Clement, he ended up playing all 3. I think he's a person that is a real asset on the right wing now, different to most other wingers and cuts inside on his left like a traditional inside forward would do, but he essentially becomes a target man centre forward in the box if we attack down our left side so he can almost play 2 roles in one.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2022 18:17

Hound
URZZZZ

Another debt owed there.

Stam brought in Meite, but barely played him season 1 and shipped him out season 2. Think the expectation was Meite would drift away, but Clement started him up front in pre season friendlies, where he impressed far more than everyone expected. Think it took off from there. So yes, probably Clement's big success. Side note - didn't realise he scored 12 in 19 starts last year. His goal record for us is exceptional.

He did bring in Rino, but I think there was a feeling he should have done so sooner. But some credit due.

Guess we shouldn't revise too much with PC though - the football was generally turgid and we were at a pretty low ebb when he left. Nobody was particularly disappointed when he left, even though there was a sense that he was very slowly turning the corner

I think at a stretch, you could argue he very loosely set foundations for a successful team with the likes of Yiadom, Rinomhota and Meite all bought/first used in his spell here. He didn’t get the results on the pitch and whilst there was a slight improvement and I think we would have got better, there’s also reservations as to how far he could have taken us, don’t think he was a particularly strong manager

In saying that, I don’t recall the football to be particularly turgid except a couple of the away games at the start, think it was just a rather forgettable period, certainly when you compare it to now or the back end of Stam etc