McNulty

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McNulty

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 09:45

As mentioned there seems to be as many ‘Reading is a great club’s as people whinging

Carroll only came here coz Dann put in a good word. Charlie Adam said he had a great time. Don’t really see people agitating to leave

Obvs some of the management is poor; some of it is down to standard football stuff, players not being rated by the managers etc

The Gunter/McCleary stuff left a nasty taste but I honestly think that was just Gomes mishandling a situation. Bowen had much the same to deal with and seemed to handle it a lot better

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 26 Jan 2022 10:58

It's not about whether he was good enough for us or not, it's about how he's been treated. We've been disgusting with a number of players over the last few years when we've wanted them off our books. I hope he does spill the beans. This club is ran so poorly, and with threadbare resources too just to get by financially. It will catch up with us soon unless we rebuild the Reading way again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2022 11:17

I can't think why a player who was shit for us and we sent away on loan would be bitter and say nasty stuff about us.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 26 Jan 2022 11:26

I certainly don't blame McNulty for signing a long contract, or any other player for that matter. It is a short career and you should try to maximise your earnings where you can.

It's fairly clear that we have people in charge who are inexperienced when it comes to running football clubs and we're pretty rudderless in the way we sign players and offer up deals, for example not getting youngsters tied into deals with decent buyout clauses so we don't lose them for free or not very much. Olise is a prime example of the latter; Palace will make a huge amount out of him and unless we got a decent sell-on clause then I don't imagine we'll see very much of it at all.

In terms of senior players being frozen out a la McCleary and Gunter, that happens everywhere unfortunately. If the manager doesn't want you, that's the kind of thing they do to try and get you out. It's a shame to see good pros have the end of their time with a club go sour, but ultimately I think we will appreciate what they've done.

McNulty didn't go to plan in the end and we've ended up getting stung, paying his wages while he's out elsewhere. As alluded to earlier in the thread, he's not impressed any of our managers at all nor done well enough on loan for those clubs to match what he's on. He's within his rights to keep getting paid until his deal ends, then he can slag the club off all he wants when he's gone.

I wouldn't mind this if it wasn't just the latest example of our overall poor approach to signings/contracts. Not too many years ago, we did all this properly and very rarely dropped a bollock, so you didn't mind a few transfers that didn't work out.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 Jan 2022 11:45

Uke I remember how everyone said he was shit when he arrived :roll:

Why are we turning players to shit? Why are we freezing out so many?

We agreed the budget and his cost. Why should he “quit”?

Probably because, in his own words, he'd "rather be unemployed" than be a Reading player.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 11:53

I get that we signed the player, we gave him the contract etc etc but I'm sure mutual termination was always on the table, even for an agreed fee as it would have saved us money in the long term.

By not taking that option he clearly wanted the money, that's his choice to make, he could have taken a financial hit to get a new team but he went for the money so I think we're well within our rights to call him out over his interview.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 12:10

Orion1871

Probably because, in his own words, he'd "rather be unemployed" than be a Reading player.

:lol:

Yeah I’d say that’s pretty damming.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Jan 2022 12:10

Funny how footballers want and still appear to get everything in their favour.

Most non-footballers if they were desperately unhappy with their current employer, would find another job (possibly even taking a pay cut), give notice and leave.

McNulty says he would prefer to be unemployed than at Reading. Yes, he was under contract but given he clearly had no future at the club, wanted out and the club were clearly keen to get his wages off the books, I'm sure he and his agent could've worked a deal to terminate his contract early (even if it meant he didn't get a big pay off). That would've left him completely free to join another club of his choice or pursue his alternative career of unemployment.

And before anyone kicks in with 'it's a short career', there's little stopping them getting another different job when they retire. Back in the real world many have to change careers in order to stay employed and able to pay the bills.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2022 12:19

Agreed. Sounds like he might be trying to capitalise on the whole Moore situation. "Oh look! It's just crap over there! I had the same trouble!" No you didn't.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jan 2022 12:20

Again, I don't see the logic in him "walking" and being in breach of contract?

Firstly, we are not paying his wages are wee? It's the loan clubs who are paying a significant portion of that.

As an "employee" of RFC he has been asked to work at other locations - "placed in another client's offices" to use a direct analogy. How many of you would do that for reduced wages? He's playing and doing his job - so why would he have a problem?

He has said he would rather be unemployed than be a "Reading Player" - so he is specifically referring to something in the setup and management at Reading that's happened since 2018 when he came here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2022 12:21

He looks like he thinks he’s better than he is so case closed.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jan 2022 12:22

CountryRoyal He looks like he thinks he’s better than he is so case closed.

Are you familiar with footballers?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 12:58

CountryRoyal
Orion1871

:lol:

Yeah I’d say that’s pretty damming.

There's a difference between getting what you're owed first and just walking out though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 13:42

Of course it’s also a lot easier saying ‘you’d rather be unemployed’ when it’s not really a choice for him to make. If he’d said rather being unemployed than sign another contract there maybe

If that was genuinely true he could have walked away at anytime in the last 4 years and cancelled the contract altogether

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Jan 2022 14:07

Uke Again, I don't see the logic in him "walking" and being in breach of contract?

Firstly, we are not paying his wages are wee? It's the loan clubs who are paying a significant portion of that.

As an "employee" of RFC he has been asked to work at other locations - "placed in another client's offices" to use a direct analogy. How many of you would do that for reduced wages? He's playing and doing his job - so why would he have a problem?

He has said he would rather be unemployed than be a "Reading Player" - so he is specifically referring to something in the setup and management at Reading that's happened since 2018 when he came here.

We didn't kidnap him and ditch him at Dundee - he chose to go up there. So cant play that card. He is also getting his full wage not a reduced wage. He wanted out from here and went - so cant complain that he ended up somewhere else. Like Moore, its not his fault the club gave him the contract. And fair play to him to land the deal.

Its just his petulant attitude because it didn't work out for him, I am sure Reading could have acted better and done better - but there is a reason why he ended up at Dundee and barely even playing. He just sounds bitter as he in the Scottish league and not exactly impressing anyone there so taking aim at Reading.
He isn't covering himself in glory here and it doesn't really give a vote of confidence for other managers to take a punt on him later on.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Jan 2022 14:12

Hound Of course it’s also a lot easier saying ‘you’d rather be unemployed’ when it’s not really a choice for him to make. If he’d said rather being unemployed than sign another contract there maybe

If that was genuinely true he could have walked away at anytime in the last 4 years and cancelled the contract altogether

Exactly - the offer of a pay out probably at a reduced wage would have always been on the table. He took the money and now biting the hand that feeds. He could have donated it and said I would rather give my money away than take anything from Reading - would have been a bigger impact to me personally. Plus it would give him a much better profile........than sour player upset he didn't make it and got treated bad story.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jan 2022 15:20

Coppells Lost Coat
Uke Again, I don't see the logic in him "walking" and being in breach of contract?

We didn't kidnap him and ditch him at Dundee - he chose to go up there. So cant play that card. He is also getting his full wage not a reduced wage. He wanted out from here and went - so cant complain that he ended up somewhere else. Like Moore, its not his fault the club gave him the contract. And fair play to him to land the deal.

Its just his petulant attitude because it didn't work out for him, I am sure Reading could have acted better and done better - but there is a reason why he ended up at Dundee and barely even playing. He just sounds bitter as he in the Scottish league and not exactly impressing anyone there so taking aim at Reading.
He isn't covering himself in glory here and it doesn't really give a vote of confidence for other managers to take a punt on him later on.

We gave him the choice of going to Dundee and getting first team experience or playing with the youngsters at home - so he took the one that was best for his career.

Why on earth should he take a reduced wage? At least Dundee are subsidising it (and probably paying his accommodation).

I don't think he's complaining about being elsewhere - that's clearly his preference.

AFAWK Dundee fans aren't on his back, so I don't think theres's too much of a problem. Two years ago an Edinburgh cabbie was also waxing lyrical when McNulty was at Hibs.

There's no way I don't think he's an arrogant pcunt, but that's pretty much any footballer who is getting to be or has a place in a first team. It's a qualification for the role of striker and we get on the backs of strikers who have "lost their confidence" e.g. Puscas

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Jan 2022 15:40

Yeah not sure where all this hates coming from.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 15:57

Hound Of course it’s also a lot easier saying ‘you’d rather be unemployed’ when it’s not really a choice for him to make. If he’d said rather being unemployed than sign another contract there maybe

It's probably fair to use a bit of hyperbole and not expect to have it taken literally.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 17:01

Snowflake Royal

It's probably fair to use a bit of hyperbole and not expect to have it taken literally.

Well yeah. Hence it’s a complete non story. Or at least that bit is