Next Reading Manager

969 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Elm Park Kid » 12 May 2022 13:11

It feels to me that who our manager is, is less important than the mentality around the club going into next season.

It's very likely that we're going to have a weakened squad and a first team without some of our more dependable players. We're very, very likely to struggle from the start, and will do well to keep our heads above the relegation zone. If all that happens is that fans start piling into the players early on and calling for the manager to go by September then I think we're done for.

The only way we get out of this is by getting behind the team from the start and trying to park any toxicity for a few months at least. I just hope that fans recognise the situation this time and that us being around the bottom would not be the fault of either the players or the manager, rather a consequence of trying to rebuild a team with almost no finances.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2022 13:31

Hound Some noise about Warburton talking to Birmingham

I’d be keen to have him here. Took a club in a similar mess in QPR into a decent side

Mowbray would be of interest

Not sure - gets his team conceding a fair few goals, at both Forest and QPR, pretty much the last thing we need right now given how leaky our defence is

Also QPR’s season just gone by has shades of Paunovic’s full season, with the February collapse

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 13:34

URZZZZ

I’d be keen to have him here. Took a club in a similar mess in QPR into a decent side

Not sure - gets his team conceding a fair few goals, at both Forest and QPR, pretty much the last thing we need right now given how leaky our defence is

Also QPR’s season just gone by has shades of Paunovic’s full season, with the February collapse

They finished 11th with arguably a weaker first 11 than we have. Hardly did a bad job there.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 13:37

Either Mowbray or Warburton would be fine choices, they've both given stability and a degree of success and improvement to clubs in similar or arguably worse situations than ourselves. Both experienced, both understand this level of football and both are good calibre managers. Whether there may end up being better options out there this summer may be telling however.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 May 2022 13:37

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

They finished 11th with arguably a weaker first 11 than we have. Hardly did a bad job there.

Certainly not a bad job (although you could argue the case at Forest) but the mid season collapse should always be a concern (15 points from the last 18 is poor)

By no stretch would it be a bad appointment but he draws a couple of parallels with Paunovic which is never a good sign

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 13:46

YorkshireRoyal99 Either Mowbray or Warburton would be fine choices, they've both given stability and a degree of success and improvement to clubs in similar or arguably worse situations than ourselves. Both experienced, both understand this level of football and both are good calibre managers. Whether there may end up being better options out there this summer may be telling however.

I think we have to think about which other sides in the divisions will realistically looking for managers this summer.

Birmingham - Bowyer likely to leave

Blackburn Rovers - Vacant

Middlesbrough - Wilder linked with Burnley

QPR - Vacant

I don't think Birmingham are more attractive than us, bigger club but are all over the place.

Blackburn have a decent enough squad but can't really see Warburton getting the job. They are linked with Ainsworth

Middlesbrough used to have Mowbray in charge so he won't go back. Warburton isn't high profile enough imo.

QPR would probably look at Mowbray but likely would go for a bigger name.

I think we have a lot to offer either Warburton or Mowbray.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 12 May 2022 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 May 2022 13:49

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Either Mowbray or Warburton would be fine choices, they've both given stability and a degree of success and improvement to clubs in similar or arguably worse situations than ourselves. Both experienced, both understand this level of football and both are good calibre managers. Whether there may end up being better options out there this summer may be telling however.

I think we have to think about which other sides in the divisions will realistically looking for managers this summer.

QPR - Vacant

I don't think Birmingham are more attractive than us, bigger club but are all over the place.

Blackburn have a decent enough squad but can't really see Warburton getting the job. They are linked with Ainsworth

Middlesbrough used to have Mowbray in charge so he won't go back. Warburton isn't high profile enough imo.

I think we have a lot to offer either Warburton and Mowbray.

We would certainly be a realistic shout for both of those managers but as you know our managerial appointments are so bizarre that we will end up with someone none of us have heard of.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 13:51

URZZZZ

Fair point on goals conceded. Did score plenty though - most outside of the POs except Bristol. And considering we didn’t score in our last three games either…

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 14:02

Zip
NathStPaul

QPR - Vacant

I think we have a lot to offer either Warburton and Mowbray.

We would certainly be a realistic shout for both of those managers but as you know our managerial appointments are so bizarre that we will end up with someone none of us have heard of.

Agree with both comments really. Yeah, we would be decent enough for either and vice versa, but would there be more appealing options elsewhere than ourselves? Probably. Would we be likely to appoint them anyway? As said, probably not, no.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 May 2022 12:37

Is Ince staying or not?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 May 2022 13:05

SouthDownsRoyal Is Ince staying or not?

We have now gone beyond the "week" he said the decision would be made and if he was walking away.

On another note.....Did anyone hear Ainsworths interview on BBCRB?
Spent a lot of time talking about Reading. Knows a lot about us and was asked about the job by Adi Williams...
His response "If I was there Im a builder. I build from the ground up....and that can take time. That's what I think Reading need".......interesting. Can't see him here if Wycombe fail though...sadly.

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 15 May 2022 13:22

Mowbray….absolutely no way. Have you been on the Blackburn forums. Definitely not, he’s useless and overrated. Warburton might be ok

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 15 May 2022 13:25

I’d be happy with ainsworth as long as he doesn’t play hoof ball

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2022 13:46

royalstevep68

Mowbray….absolutely no way. Have you been on the Blackburn forums. Definitely not, he’s useless and overrated. Warburton might be ok

Don't get your knowledge on how a manager did from forums. Any old weirdo can shout loudest on them.

His record with them is perfectly good enough for us.

40% win rate over 4/5 seasons. 33% loss rate. Fairly average Championship club performing fine.

He's not sexy, but he's pretty bang up what we need.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 May 2022 19:19

And Parky and his team bottle winning the league completely :lol:

But but but parky in the racist cries!!!!!

Rax

by Rax » 15 May 2022 19:26

Loafer And Parky and his team bottle winning the league completely :lol:

As much as I get "Anti-Parky" from the Racist Oxford's quite boring beating of the Parky drum - don't forget he's a Reading legend and for that I hope he succeeds.

Parky failing should never bring a "lol" in my book - but it's understandable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 May 2022 20:02

Rax

As much as I get "Anti-Parky" from the Racist Oxford's quite boring beating of the Parky drum - don't forget he's a Reading legend and for that I hope he succeeds.

Absolutely. I would want Wrexham to go up anyway and would want Parky to succeed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2022 20:05

Zip
Rax

Absolutely. I would want Wrexham to go up anyway and would want Parky to succeed.

He absolutely remains a playing legend, come what may

But one of the best lessons I learned very early is that just because you’re good as something doesn’t make you good at managing it.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 May 2022 21:22

Franchise FC
Zip
Rax

He absolutely remains a playing legend, come what may

But one of the best lessons I learned very early is that just because you’re good as something doesn’t make you good at managing it.

Cough frank cough Lampard

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 May 2022 21:30

Mark Noble may make a good manager, intelligent guy.

969 posts