Ince out!

1204 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Ince out!

by Kitsondinho » 15 Mar 2023 12:44

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Ouch! Hard to argue against much of this one:

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Apart from being apparent immediately it's a one sided biased hatchet job from someone who was against Ince being in charge from day 1. With some unjustified and unsupported conjecture presented as fact.

(Exciting double post, please delete)
Last edited by Kitsondinho on 15 Mar 2023 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2023 12:44

YorkshireRoyal99 I'm surprised Gomes' is as bad as it is, I don't really remember him being Clement-esque bad, obviously bar those half a dozen or so games leading to the sack. Considering we finished significantly above the relegation zone come the end of the season where he was in charge, I thought his record might have been similar to McDermott (v2), Ince, Pauno and Bowen.

Think he underachieved with the players we had - obvs there was the high profile loan signings (Emi Martinez ffs), and then still had the basis of a decent team tbe year after. Even when we stayed up don’t remember many games when we played well - 2 massive wins against Ipswich and Wigan but could easily have lost both. He looked very clueless when things started to go wrong

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Mar 2023 12:50

Rodgers was surprisingly (well maybe not) bad. Clement was just moronic. Stam's stats reflect the first season (obviously) which makes the dramatic decline in the second season so startling. Really what this says is we've had 3 good managers but maybe Clarke could have really done well for us if he hadn't dicked us about with those West London fannies.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 15 Mar 2023 12:57

It's interesting - the main argument against PInce is his overall negativity and how miserable it feels to watch Reading. Yet, by far the worst football I have seen at the Mad stad was Stam's first season when we finished 3rd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 13:07

Kitsondinho
Hound
Snowflake Royal Apart from being apparent immediately it's a one sided biased hatchet job from someone who was against Ince being in charge from day 1. With some unjustified and unsupported conjecture presented as fact.

Yep pretty boring article which seemed to be sticking together a load of outraged comments from Twitter and then making some sort of article based on them

I quite like Ince personally. He seems a basically decent guy. Yeah he makes excuses and don’t rate a lot of his team selections but he does seem to care a lot and the players seem to like him. Got a bit of a sense of humour and an understanding of the wider picture in the game

Granted we suck at the moment. And rather a lot. But it’s churlish to overlook a lot of the good work he has done with a bunch of rejects

Whether he is the man to take us forward is debatable certainly though. Would just like to see some improvement in the style of play, creativity and occasionally look like we’re capable of a clean sheet

I wasn’t keen on the article. Toxic is not the way I describe things currently. Don’t think the players have been chased onto the bus, not many protests outside the ground and Ince isn’t having to hide from the abuse being hurled during post match interviews. I like Ince, think he has done a decent job and should be applauded for doing so. Equally, I’m not convinced he is going to take us much further forward than lower mid-table if he is here next year. A change in May would probably be best all round! I’d like to see him stay on in another capacity, scouting for example, working alongside Bowen, as they seemed to have put a lot of hard work in to stabilise the club behind the scenes.

As for the fan reaction to Ince, I was interested to hear Carrick say similar things to Ince about ‘Boro’s failure to get a second v Stoke last night ‘(coaching only goes so far, sometimes it doesn’t work out how you want it, we are where we are, remember where we’ve come from etc) Strangely ‘Boro fans weren’t raging on Twitter about it. Yes, the football is frustrating right now. Yes, we’re slipping back down the table…but I still feel confident saying we’ll get enough points to be safe (deduction or otherwise)

I think the rage goes up based on frequency of hearing the same things and number of defeats.

Easy to be sanguine when you win regularly and are top six.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Mar 2023 13:31

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99 I'm surprised Gomes' is as bad as it is, I don't really remember him being Clement-esque bad, obviously bar those half a dozen or so games leading to the sack. Considering we finished significantly above the relegation zone come the end of the season where he was in charge, I thought his record might have been similar to McDermott (v2), Ince, Pauno and Bowen.

Think he underachieved with the players we had - obvs there was the high profile loan signings (Emi Martinez ffs), and then still had the basis of a decent team tbe year after. Even when we stayed up don’t remember many games when we played well - 2 massive wins against Ipswich and Wigan but could easily have lost both. He looked very clueless when things started to go wrong

Oh yeah I do agree, he wasn't exactly good or anything and obviously the numbers show that, it was more that I didn't think he was as bad as the numbers may have suggested, probably because we didn't lose that many, we drew quite a lot during the season where he came in halfway through.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2023 13:56

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

Oh yeah I do agree, he wasn't exactly good or anything and obviously the numbers show that, it was more that I didn't think he was as bad as the numbers may have suggested, probably because we didn't lose that many, we drew quite a lot during the season where he came in halfway through.

Checked the team when Puscas scored 2 vs cardiff

Rafael
Miazga Moore Morrison
Pele
Yiadom swift ejaria richards
Joao Puscas

Subs: Rino, Boye, Meite

Dodgy formation aside we really should have been a good side that year

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Mar 2023 15:01

Snowflake Royal We all know it's common issues for poor performing sides. Being shit isn’t made better by the knowledge there are 15 - 20 other clubs across the league structure with the same or similar issues.

But perhaps these teams have got the tools and are better equipped to deal with these issues than what we are? We've been limited to free transfers, we haven't had the ability to go out and get what we need to improve for example. Swansea had better capacity to get players in than what we did, they didn't and have suffered as a result, just as an example of another club with issues that have suffered.

It's easy for fans to say that, just because there doesn't appear to be a change, it means the management can't see it. Maybe their belief is there just isn't a better alternative available.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Mar 2023 15:47

Elm Park Kid It's interesting - the main argument against PInce is his overall negativity and how miserable it feels to watch Reading. Yet, by far the worst football I have seen at the Mad stad was Stam's first season when we finished 3rd.

This x 100

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 15 Mar 2023 17:07

Reading under Stam were like someone who discovers an exploit in a computer game, uses it to win loads, and then it gets patched and they don't know how to win without it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Mar 2023 17:22

ReadingGlasses Reading under Stam were like someone who discovers an exploit in a computer game, uses it to win loads, and then it gets patched and they don't know how to win without it.

I quite like that!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2023 17:35

Royal Rother
ReadingGlasses Reading under Stam were like someone who discovers an exploit in a computer game, uses it to win loads, and then it gets patched and they don't know how to win without it.

I quite like that!

Yes, also thought it was a good analogy :)

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Mar 2023 18:08

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho
Hound
Yep pretty boring article which seemed to be sticking together a load of outraged comments from Twitter and then making some sort of article based on them

I quite like Ince personally. He seems a basically decent guy. Yeah he makes excuses and don’t rate a lot of his team selections but he does seem to care a lot and the players seem to like him. Got a bit of a sense of humour and an understanding of the wider picture in the game

Granted we suck at the moment. And rather a lot. But it’s churlish to overlook a lot of the good work he has done with a bunch of rejects

Whether he is the man to take us forward is debatable certainly though. Would just like to see some improvement in the style of play, creativity and occasionally look like we’re capable of a clean sheet

I wasn’t keen on the article. Toxic is not the way I describe things currently. Don’t think the players have been chased onto the bus, not many protests outside the ground and Ince isn’t having to hide from the abuse being hurled during post match interviews. I like Ince, think he has done a decent job and should be applauded for doing so. Equally, I’m not convinced he is going to take us much further forward than lower mid-table if he is here next year. A change in May would probably be best all round! I’d like to see him stay on in another capacity, scouting for example, working alongside Bowen, as they seemed to have put a lot of hard work in to stabilise the club behind the scenes.

As for the fan reaction to Ince, I was interested to hear Carrick say similar things to Ince about ‘Boro’s failure to get a second v Stoke last night ‘(coaching only goes so far, sometimes it doesn’t work out how you want it, we are where we are, remember where we’ve come from etc) Strangely ‘Boro fans weren’t raging on Twitter about it. Yes, the football is frustrating right now. Yes, we’re slipping back down the table…but I still feel confident saying we’ll get enough points to be safe (deduction or otherwise)

I think the rage goes up based on frequency of hearing the same things and number of defeats.

But that is my point…earlier in the season, Ince was saying exactly the same thing and people were loving it as we were further up the table…you’ve been Paul Inced and all that…now he hasn’t changed his message, but it is ‘toxic’ for him to be saying it. Ridiculous. He will do the job (stay up) he was given to do. Probably isn’t the long term option, but the hysterical reaction really isn’t needed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2023 18:17

Royal Rother

I quite like that!

Yep very good

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 18:32

Kitsondinho
Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho I wasn’t keen on the article. Toxic is not the way I describe things currently. Don’t think the players have been chased onto the bus, not many protests outside the ground and Ince isn’t having to hide from the abuse being hurled during post match interviews. I like Ince, think he has done a decent job and should be applauded for doing so. Equally, I’m not convinced he is going to take us much further forward than lower mid-table if he is here next year. A change in May would probably be best all round! I’d like to see him stay on in another capacity, scouting for example, working alongside Bowen, as they seemed to have put a lot of hard work in to stabilise the club behind the scenes.

But that is my point…earlier in the season, Ince was saying exactly the same thing and people were loving it as we were further up the table…you’ve been Paul Inced and all that…now he hasn’t changed his message, but it is ‘toxic’ for him to be saying it. Ridiculous. He will do the job (stay up) he was given to do. Probably isn’t the long term option, but the hysterical reaction really isn’t needed.

I don't think he was saying the same things.

But you are right that article's take is ridiculous and so is calling Ince toxic.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Mar 2023 21:29

Ince out

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Mar 2023 21:54

We played better tonight but when we'd fought back to 1-1 surely that was when a good manager would bring on Liam Moore to shore up the defence and try to get a hard earned point. Recently Ince has been trying to preserve a point for 90 minutes, today it would have only been for 25. Comes across a little clueless

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2023 21:58

Attack was prob best form of defence tbh. Looked more likely to score again than hold out for a 1-1

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Mar 2023 22:00

morganb We played better tonight but when we'd fought back to 1-1 surely that was when a good manager would bring on Liam Moore to shore up the defence and try to get a hard earned point. Recently Ince has been trying to preserve a point for 90 minutes, today it would have only been for 25. Comes across a little clueless

We can't have it both ways though. We criticise him for negativity (rightly in a lot of cases) so we can't very well complain when he makes like for like changes in a game which either side has had chances to win. And he showed some faith in the Academy players on the bench which hasn't always been the case.

No way to know for sure of course but if we'd played for a draw I'm not convinced we'd have held out but I am sure we definitely wouldn't have won. His changes gave us the best chance of winning the game and I'm ok with that.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Mar 2023 22:07

Less than a win or come back draw on Saturday and he has to go immediately in my opinion

1204 posts