Ince out!

1204 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince out!

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 16:32

Sutekh Ouch! Hard to argue against much of this one:

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Some truths there, although not everything.

I still think it's very critical to judge anyone on building a style of play with such limited capacity to do so, although you can see the difference he made compared to a year ago.

It's not pretty, but for much of the season it's worked. I don't think there would be many people who would perform better under the circumstances.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Mar 2023 16:44

YorkshireRoyal99

I still think it's very critical to judge anyone on building a style of play with such limited capacity to do so, although you can see the difference he made compared to a year ago.

It's not pretty, but for much of the season it's worked. I don't think there would be many people who would perform better under the circumstances.

I don't agree with a lot Ince says post match, but TTE has become very unbalanced in its views recently...think they need a few of us on there.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2023 17:03

Mid Sussex Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I don't agree with a lot Ince says post match, but TTE has become very unbalanced in its views recently...think they need a few of us on there.

Unfortunately it's the modern way. Every manager is about 10 games away, maybe less, from being needing to be sacked in the eyes of many fans now.

You couple that with the fact that a lot of fans didn't want Ince in, convinced he'd be a failure, and people are grumbling despite him exceeding expectations.

The basic problem is that we don't have a very good squad. It's not terrible, but it is overachieving in terms of results. I always feel that goal difference gives you more of an indication of the quality of a squad, and ours is poor because we aren't that good.

We did well earlier in the season, to some extent, because of the effort the players showed. The attitude was spot on.

We do seem to be hitting a wall now though, when it's all dropped 10% or so, and those fine margins that are the difference in picking up extra points, just aren't in our favour now.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Mar 2023 17:20

Why would the players be willing/able to put in an extra 10% at the start of the season and not now?

Could be fatigue, could be the opposition have worked us out or could it be your manager keeps underlining how poor you are at every opportunity (it's certainly not going to help)?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2023 17:46

Snowflake Royal

Apart from being apparent immediately it's a one sided biased hatchet job from someone who was against Ince being in charge from day 1. With some unjustified and unsupported conjecture presented as fact.

Yep pretty boring article which seemed to be sticking together a load of outraged comments from Twitter and then making some sort of article based on them

I quite like Ince personally. He seems a basically decent guy. Yeah he makes excuses and don’t rate a lot of his team selections but he does seem to care a lot and the players seem to like him. Got a bit of a sense of humour and an understanding of the wider picture in the game

Granted we suck at the moment. And rather a lot. But it’s churlish to overlook a lot of the good work he has done with a bunch of rejects

Whether he is the man to take us forward is debatable certainly though. Would just like to see some improvement in the style of play, creativity and occasionally look like we’re capable of a clean sheet

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 13 Mar 2023 18:18

I’m in the minority I suppose but don’t care . I think Ince hasn’t done to bad considering the circumstances we was favourites to go down at the beginning of the season and I for one would have bitten your arm off to be in this position by now. The only thing I don’t agree with Ince on is not playing Joao ahead of people like Long or even Carroll . Lot’s not everyone who wants Ince sacked would replace him with some foreign nobody which we’ve tried before and failed. That’s my two pence worth

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Mar 2023 11:56

Royal_jimmy No disrespect to Murty, he's a club legend but can we not just get a manager with a lot of experience in? Ideally one who can work with a small budget.

I'd have had Ainsworth but he's at QPR now

And doing well enough for you? Their win at the weekend was their first since December! (I don't know how long he has been there...)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Mar 2023 12:03

skipper
Royal_jimmy No disrespect to Murty, he's a club legend but can we not just get a manager with a lot of experience in? Ideally one who can work with a small budget.

And doing well enough for you? Their win at the weekend was their first since December! (I don't know how long he has been there...)

About 3/4 games.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Mar 2023 12:38

Mid Sussex Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Given their presence on Twitter, and the fact any Tom Dick or Lord Cockend can contribute an article, it's not surprising that their content is mirroring the unhinged ramblings of our friends over on Social Media.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2023 13:01

skipper

:mrgreen:

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Mar 2023 08:37

The millwall game was ince’s 50th game.

Current record is 17-8-25 (59 points,1.18PPG), 53 scored, 80 conceded.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 09:29

Brogue The millwall game was ince’s 50th game.

Current record is 17-8-25 (59 points,1.18PPG), 53 scored, 80 conceded.

Stam's record is ridiculous given how bad we were for what felt like a century at the end of his reign.

Would prefer a stacked percentage chart... I reckon Pauno would look worse than others on similar win rates with a higher loss rate.

Good stuff

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Mar 2023 09:33

I'm surprised Gomes' is as bad as it is, I don't really remember him being Clement-esque bad, obviously bar those half a dozen or so games leading to the sack. Considering we finished significantly above the relegation zone come the end of the season where he was in charge, I thought his record might have been similar to McDermott (v2), Ince, Pauno and Bowen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 09:41

YorkshireRoyal99 I'm surprised Gomes' is as bad as it is, I don't really remember him being Clement-esque bad, obviously bar those half a dozen or so games leading to the sack. Considering we finished significantly above the relegation zone come the end of the season where he was in charge, I thought his record might have been similar to McDermott (v2), Ince, Pauno and Bowen.

He was dreadful. We had a little bounce shortly after he arrived but otherwise were largely relegation form.

But he was handsome and charming so people remember him more fondly.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 15 Mar 2023 09:49

What that really seems to highlight is how rarely a new manager is a significant improvement on the previous one. Many seem to follow the same pattern of

* Coming in to save a failing season, and getting enough of a boost to see the club to safety
* Good initial start to the next season, causing lots of optimism
* Sharp collapse back to struggling again, moral drops, relegation threatens again.

So each time there's a managerial change it far more about dealing with a short term crisis then it is about making a long term improvement. Replacing Paunovic with Ince, for example, absolutely had to happen to deal with the immediate problem, but in the longer term the club hasn't progressed at all.

Who was the last manager to leave the club in a better state than when they joined? Bowen I guess. Before that it probably has to go back to McDermott the first time round.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Mar 2023 09:54

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I'm surprised Gomes' is as bad as it is, I don't really remember him being Clement-esque bad, obviously bar those half a dozen or so games leading to the sack. Considering we finished significantly above the relegation zone come the end of the season where he was in charge, I thought his record might have been similar to McDermott (v2), Ince, Pauno and Bowen.

He was dreadful. We had a little bounce shortly after he arrived but otherwise were largely relegation form.

But he was handsome and charming so people remember him more fondly.

Going from officially his first game, Millwall (A), our record going through to the end of the season was W6 D10 L7, so not that bad really considering where we were and then finished, 28 points from 23 games, 1.22 ppg, ~56 points per season is lower mid-table form.

Whilst not excellent or anything, that's why I was surprised he was that low, but obviously it was a lot more draws than wins. It was what it was though ultimately and the start to our next season was terrible and he was rightly sacked. Ironically, one of the few managers we've sacked in reasonably good time and not dragging it out for 2 months too long like Stam, Pauno and arguably Clement.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2023 12:05

I know it is a different league and they have played Liverpool and City, but I thought it was interesting* that Crystal Palace have not registered a shot on target in 3 consecutive games, could quite easily go to 4 as they play in-form Brighton tonight as well.

While the situation at Reading isn't good, sometimes I feel like a certain section of our fans think we're the only ones with problems. There are certainly other clubs with problems.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Mar 2023 12:21

Hendo I know it is a different league and they have played Liverpool and City, but I thought it was interesting* that Crystal Palace have not registered a shot on target in 3 consecutive games, could quite easily go to 4 as they play in-form Brighton tonight as well.

While the situation at Reading isn't good, sometimes I feel like a certain section of our fans think we're the only ones with problems. There are certainly other clubs with problems.

Yeah that's exactly what I think, like our fans think some of our problems are bespoke to ourselves, when they just aren't.

Hear it a lot when fans moan about Ince blaming referees, fixture congestion etc in pre/post-match interviews whereas this is what a lot of managers tend to do as well. Not to mention I think most of that is a ploy just to answer questions without giving too much away either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 12:39

We all know it's common issues for poor performing sides. Being shit isn’t made better by the knowledge there are 15 - 20 other clubs across the league structure with the same or similar issues.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Mar 2023 12:44

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Apart from being apparent immediately it's a one sided biased hatchet job from someone who was against Ince being in charge from day 1. With some unjustified and unsupported conjecture presented as fact.

Yep pretty boring article which seemed to be sticking together a load of outraged comments from Twitter and then making some sort of article based on them

I quite like Ince personally. He seems a basically decent guy. Yeah he makes excuses and don’t rate a lot of his team selections but he does seem to care a lot and the players seem to like him. Got a bit of a sense of humour and an understanding of the wider picture in the game

Granted we suck at the moment. And rather a lot. But it’s churlish to overlook a lot of the good work he has done with a bunch of rejects

Whether he is the man to take us forward is debatable certainly though. Would just like to see some improvement in the style of play, creativity and occasionally look like we’re capable of a clean sheet

I wasn’t keen on the article. Toxic is not the way I describe things currently. Don’t think the players have been chased onto the bus, not many protests outside the ground and Ince isn’t having to hide from the abuse being hurled during post match interviews. I like Ince, think he has done a decent job and should be applauded for doing so. Equally, I’m not convinced he is going to take us much further forward than lower mid-table if he is here next year. A change in May would probably be best all round! I’d like to see him stay on in another capacity, scouting for example, working alongside Bowen, as they seemed to have put a lot of hard work in to stabilise the club behind the scenes.

As for the fan reaction to Ince, I was interested to hear Carrick say similar things to Ince about ‘Boro’s failure to get a second v Stoke last night ‘(coaching only goes so far, sometimes it doesn’t work out how you want it, we are where we are, remember where we’ve come from etc) Strangely ‘Boro fans weren’t raging on Twitter about it. Yes, the football is frustrating right now. Yes, we’re slipping back down the table…but I still feel confident saying we’ll get enough points to be safe (deduction or otherwise)

1204 posts