Season summary…

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season summary…

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2022 15:49

SCIAG
Notts Royal However, still plenty to be concerned about. The Hein & Barker deals stunk of Kia’s involvement and I don’t have faith those ties have been cut.

What makes you think that?

Why else would we sign a teenage goalie with no experience?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Apr 2022 15:57

Season summary: shite.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2022 17:00

Millsy Season summary: shite.

Is what it is really. Decent recovery from where we were but were very dark days under Pauno at the end

Live to fight another year in the champ. At least we can move on from this year and start planning for that

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Apr 2022 17:20

Hound

Is what it is really. Decent recovery from where we were but were very dark days under Pauno at the end

Live to fight another year in the champ. At least we can move on from this year and start planning for that

Two seasons ago there were at least foundations. Mismanagement of the club has left it bare and berift of direction. Wouldn't be suprised if Dai looks to bail out this summer. As none of the out of contract players players appear to buy into his vision any longer. I'll be keeping my wallet firmly in my pocket until he's gone. .

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2022 17:26

Two seasons ago we had a horrendous wage bill and players on long contracts, with FFP likely to bite us on the backside at some point

I’d rather be where we are now tbh

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Apr 2022 18:39

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Notts Royal However, still plenty to be concerned about. The Hein & Barker deals stunk of Kia’s involvement and I don’t have faith those ties have been cut.

What makes you think that?

Or another winger to sit on the bench when we already had 5/6?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Apr 2022 18:56

We've been very lucky last few seasons that there have three teams more shite than us.

But we've stayed up.

I'd just like a "team" next season that plays and fights as a team, not a bunch of individuals

I'm watching Brentford v Spurs as a type, I envy Brentford fans, that's the type of club I'd like us to be

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2022 19:00

Gunny Fishcake We've been very lucky last few seasons that there have three teams more shite than us.

That’s basically how relegation works though isn’t it?

You don’t come 4th bottom by being very good. Just not so bad as the 3 below you

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2022 19:34

Not sure what would be worse. Turning into Ipswich Town and being stuck in a permanent flux for 15 years or having the "excitement" of regular relegation battles season after season.

Genuinely believe those are the only two options available to us at this time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Apr 2022 19:46

We survived and I didn’t think I’d be saying that with 2 games left to go. I am really looking forward to next season, we’ll probably be in a relegation scrap but I am hoping to see some young hungry exciting players and a shorter injury list.

If we were to go down at least we might have a team that can bring us straight back up but obviously survival will be paramount as we rebuild the squad. I’d like to think that we can get back the affinity between the players and the fans, Coventry have that in abundance.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Apr 2022 20:01

Ian would prefer the Ipswich Town scenario

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 23 Apr 2022 21:28

blythspartan We survived and I didn’t think I’d be saying that with 2 games left to go. I am really looking forward to next season, we’ll probably be in a relegation scrap but I am hoping to see some young hungry exciting players and a shorter injury list.

If we were to go down at least we might have a team that can bring us straight back up but obviously survival will be paramount as we rebuild the squad. I’d like to think that we can get back the affinity between the players and the fans, Coventry have that in abundance.

This exactly, lets bring in some young hungry players and bring through some of these academy products and see were we go from there!!
Southwood, McIntyre ,Rinhomota, Tetek, Azeez, Camara, Abrefa, Stickland, Ashcroft and Clarke are all young and hungry and the sort of players we should slowly be building the team around. Sprinkle in the experience of Joao, Meite, Dann, Ejaria, Yiadom and hopefully re-sign the likes of Laurent, Holmes, and Hoilett and we have the nucleus of a team that should compete in the Championship.
It won't always be pretty but with experience will only get better.
Some of the teams coming up already look stronger than Barnsley and Posh!! The likes of Rotherham, Wigan and possibly Sunderland, Plymouth and Sheff Weds may well prove a tougher nut to crack next season so as mentioned before, hopefully the EFL can hand out a few points deductions to level the playing field.
Lets get the Manager situation sorted sooner rather than later and get these contracts and transfer business sorted quickly and not in the usual Reading fashion (Last day of the Window!!!) and enjoy the ride.
We thought 2021-22 was eventful, i fear 2022-23 may well prove to be much the same.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2022 21:35

Hound
Gunny Fishcake We've been very lucky last few seasons that there have three teams more shite than us.

That’s basically how relegation works though isn’t it?

You don’t come 4th bottom by being very good. Just not so bad as the 3 below you

He's right though.

We're lucky we got our points deduction when Derby got a worse one. And that when we finished with a low enough tally the other year we could reasonably expect to be relegated there were worse teams than normal to save us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2022 21:37

Royal_jimmy Ian would prefer the Ipswich Town scenario

Yep. You seem strangely obsessed by it.

Is the concept of wanting to see your team win more often really so difficult for you to understand?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2022 21:43

Lower West
Hound

Two seasons ago there were at least foundations. Mismanagement of the club has left it bare and berift of direction. Wouldn't be suprised if Dai looks to bail out this summer. As none of the out of contract players players appear to buy into his vision any longer. I'll be keeping my wallet firmly in my pocket until he's gone. .

Can you explain that last bit ? I really have no concept of what you mean about out of contract players ‘ buying into his vision’. What is it about the way Yiadom has played that leads you to this conclusion ? Or Laurent ? Or Holmes......

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Apr 2022 21:47

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG What makes you think that?

Or another winger to sit on the bench when we already had 5/6?

In Hein's case it's because we'd decided we needed another goalie, he was available, and he was supposed to be extremely good. It's not that unusual for young goalkeepers to make their senior debut at this level or higher (and being pedantic this wasn't even Hein's senior debut, but I get the point).

Barker and Thomas - football clubs sign redundant players sometimes, it's not that deep. Again we have had horrible injury crises, and they're cheap players who might make a difference in a desperate situation - or perhaps we've got an eye on next season.

Is there any evidence that any of those three players (I'm throwing in Thomas too because he's basically the same situation as Barker) have any connections to Kia? Or do you just find it hard to believe that a football club would make a random signing?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2022 21:47

I think the strangest thing in that post is the idea Dai has a vision in the first place.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Apr 2022 23:41

Wonder if the analysis has changed after today then!

1 things for sure, that defence needs major work on the summer. Would like to see us make some tough decisions…I’d release Morrison as his legs have gone. That would be a priority position for me…going to need a new CB & LB. Hopefully we can tie Yiadom down for a little longer

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2022 09:01

Notts Royal Wonder if the analysis has changed after today then!

1 things for sure, that defence needs major work on the summer. Would like to see us make some tough decisions…I’d release Morrison as his legs have gone. That would be a priority position for me…going to need a new CB & LB. Hopefully we can tie Yiadom down for a little longer

Been saying for ages we need some pace in the centre of defence.

Dann, Morrison, Holmes and McIntyre are all easily beaten in a foot race. Moore isn't exactly quick either.

That means we either sit deep or risk running in behind us.

If we sit deep either midfield stays deep with them, or leaves a big gap between them.

The CBs also often stand too far off their man for fear of being turned and beaten, but too often just involves a ball playing them in, or no pressure when they receive the ball.

We can't afford both Dann and Morrison in the squad, because we need at least one preferably two quicker defenders. And with our finances we can't have 6 or 7 CBs. McIntyre and Holmes are a good future, but with them both slow, they shouldn't really play together imo.

That's why I'm really hoping to see some Thomas, or Dorsett. If they're quicker, that's promising. If not, its an area we need to work on as well as all the probably empty slots.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Apr 2022 09:46

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal Wonder if the analysis has changed after today then!

Been saying for ages we need some pace in the centre of defence.

Dann, Morrison, Holmes and McIntyre are all easily beaten in a foot race. Moore isn't exactly quick either.

That means we either sit deep or risk running in behind us.

If we sit deep either midfield stays deep with them, or leaves a big gap between them.

The CBs also often stand too far off their man for fear of being turned and beaten, but too often just involves a ball playing them in, or no pressure when they receive the ball.

We can't afford both Dann and Morrison in the squad, because we need at least one preferably two quicker defenders. And with our finances we can't have 6 or 7 CBs. McIntyre and Holmes are a good future, but with them both slow, they shouldn't really play together imo.

That's why I'm really hoping to see some Thomas, or Dorsett. If they're quicker, that's promising. If not, its an area we need to work on as well as all the probably empty slots.

I agree. I think either Holmes or McIntyre are fine, but alongside someone experience with a bit of pace. That was Morrison a year or so ago. It’s a shame, however he’s been a great signing for us overall