MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

128 posts
Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Royality creeps In » 30 Apr 2022 19:38

What a dreadful game!

Nothing to play for. Nothing to lose and we serve up that pile of shit against an equally shite side!

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 Apr 2022 19:39

NathStPaul
Royalwaster
NathStPaul Joao is such an odd player. Either feast or famine with him, body language in the last two games has been awful. Got to think he will be desperate to go in the summer.

Can you blame him - too good a player to be playing for such a shit team to be honest. Love him to stay as he scores lots of important goals, but would think he would prefer to join a team not scrapping for survival.

Would be interesting to see him in a decent side tbh. You would think a few of the better Championship sides will be taking a look at him. He's only got a year left on his deal too hasn't he? Wouldn't take much to convince the club to sell.

If we had the money to replace, I’d sell him as he’s not the type who’s going to be committed to a season-long relegation battle, which is what we’ll have next season.

There’s a reason he’s not been snapped up by a better club & that’s his complete lack of motivation

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Apr 2022 20:23

NathStPaul LOL.

wE cAn'T dO bEtTeR tHaN InCe

I don't think anybody is saying Ince is the best manager we could get.

There are just serious doubts about whether we could get anyone in who'd do a better job, given that we are no position to poach a promising manager, and good candidates aren't queuing up round the block for the Reading job.

It's pretty much Ince or some journeyman manager on Kia's books.

Today was crap, but both teams could have turned up in club-branded beachwear, such was the lack of effort for both sides.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Apr 2022 20:39

That was a terrible way to end a terrible season. Not one shot on target and a gifted goal from a Drinkwater mistake.

Glad to see the back of this season, and a lot of these players.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Apr 2022 20:42

A bit harsh to blame Drinkwater for the goal-there were still opportunities to defend the break but this team just cannot defend and we subsequently got away with what could well have been a bigger defeat with some poor finishing (their problem all season) by WBA..

Ince's summary of the game was barmy-can you really count it as playing well in a game when you don't have a shot on target?
Normally he tells it how it is but, probably because the result didn't matter, he wasn't as upset as he might have been.

Like most others I'm glad that this season is almost over-the one highlight was not losing at Bournemouth.

Incidentally during Dellor's chat with Yiadom and Swifty I may have heard it wrong but I thought that BOTH players were vague about whether they would be here next season.
Also during the walkabout after the game it looked as though Laurent was waving goodbye rather than just waving but that may be a case of just reading more into it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2022 20:56

South Coast Royal A bit harsh to blame Drinkwater for the goal-there were still opportunities to defend the break but this team just cannot defend and we subsequently got away with what could well have been a bigger defeat with some poor finishing (their problem all season) by WBA..

Are you kidding? His error made it a 3 v 2 running at slow defenders who don't like being run at. All because he wanted to oxf*rd about under pressure deep in our half with half our defenders ahead of him.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 21:04

Notts Royal
NathStPaul
Royalwaster
Can you blame him - too good a player to be playing for such a shit team to be honest. Love him to stay as he scores lots of important goals, but would think he would prefer to join a team not scrapping for survival.

Would be interesting to see him in a decent side tbh. You would think a few of the better Championship sides will be taking a look at him. He's only got a year left on his deal too hasn't he? Wouldn't take much to convince the club to sell.

If we had the money to replace, I’d sell him as he’s not the type who’s going to be committed to a season-long relegation battle, which is what we’ll have next season.

There’s a reason he’s not been snapped up by a better club & that’s his complete lack of motivation

Agree it's time to offload along with Ejaria.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 21:06

tmesis
NathStPaul LOL.

There are just serious doubts about whether we could get anyone in who'd do a better job, given that we are no position to poach a promising manager, and good candidates aren't queuing up round the block for the Reading job.

Today was crap, but both teams could have turned up in club-branded beachwear, such was the lack of effort for both sides.

Parky would jump at the opportunity.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 21:09

Hound Confirmed no Carroll for wba tomorrow and he’s being released at the end of the year

Would ask him if he wants another go here

Yes please.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Apr 2022 22:12

karbota
tmesis
NathStPaul LOL.

An out of work Parky probably would, but he's onto a good thing at Wrexham, and if they go up, they'd probably be among the favourites to go up next year too.

Reading, in contrast, could possibly offer any potential new boss a weak squad with little money, who'd almost certainly go down, and a club that must by now have a reputation of being something of a shambles.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 22:33

tmesis
karbota
tmesis I don't think anybody is saying Ince is the best manager we could get.

An out of work Parky probably would, but he's onto a good thing at Wrexham, and if they go up, they'd probably be among the favourites to go up next year too.

Reading, in contrast, could possibly offer any potential new boss a weak squad with little money, who'd almost certainly go down, and a club that must by now have a reputation of being something of a shambles.

Dont be so sure, Parkys got blue and white blood in his veins I think he would be tempted.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Apr 2022 22:42

South Coast Royal Incidentally during Dellor's chat with Yiadom and Swifty I may have heard it wrong but I thought that BOTH players were vague about whether they would be here next season.
Also during the walkabout after the game it looked as though Laurent was waving goodbye rather than just waving but that may be a case of just reading more into it.

I heard the club had prepared a deal for Swift, but it's whether he accepts. Leeds are the team interested but if they survive this relegation battle will they want more tried and trusted players? They may want him if they go down.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 30 Apr 2022 23:19

I have long advocated the ‘long ball/wingers’ game. Listening to SSN today Burnley bombarded a win at Watford today using route 1.

What is wrong with this approach?

Opposing teams aren’t now familiar or expecting this.

It’s direct and exciting. Pulsating and positive. Put the ball as often as you can in the oppositions half and they are obviously less likely to score etc blah etc.

I’d go back again if there was some excitement. Would you rather watch The Rocket or Peter Ebdon?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2022 08:10

grey_squirrel I have long advocated the ‘long ball/wingers’ game. Listening to SSN today Burnley bombarded a win at Watford today using route 1.

What is wrong with this approach?

Opposing teams aren’t now familiar or expecting this.

It’s direct and exciting. Pulsating and positive. Put the ball as often as you can in the oppositions half and they are obviously less likely to score etc blah etc.

I’d go back again if there was some excitement. Would you rather watch The Rocket or Peter Ebdon?

This. I’d have opposite two ways of playing, a “pretty” approach and a direct bombardment of the opposition in the good old fashioned “Wimbledon” sense. As corporal Jones would say “they don’t like it up’em”.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 May 2022 08:31

Oh, that post match interview with Ince yesterday, before that in previous matches I thought he came across as honest and told it as it was, but played well, really? without a single shot on target and only 6 in the whole game.
I can only imagine that he found the Paunovic book of baffling statements that must have been left behind in his office.
That was almost up there (but not quite) with the we played well between the goals at QPR.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2022 08:58

windermereROYAL Oh, that post match interview with Ince yesterday, before that in previous matches I thought he came across as honest and told it as it was, but played well, really? without a single shot on target and only 6 in the whole game.
I can only imagine that he found the Paunovic book of baffling statements that must have been left behind in his office.
That was almost up there (but not quite) with the we played well between the goals at QPR.

I can kind of see what he means.

It was all a bit slow and shot shy, with no real threat. But we passed it around their box ok and got some nice moves forward in.

I wouldn't say we played badly, it was just a training game. With a big error. Neither team deserved to win imo. Bar the goal, none of their shots on target were really better than a shot off target

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 May 2022 09:43

Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal A bit harsh to blame Drinkwater for the goal-there were still opportunities to defend the break but this team just cannot defend and we subsequently got away with what could well have been a bigger defeat with some poor finishing (their problem all season) by WBA..

Are you kidding? His error made it a 3 v 2 running at slow defenders who don't like being run at. All because he wanted to oxf*rd about under pressure deep in our half with half our defenders ahead of him.

No I'm not kidding.
Yes, he lost possession about 10 yards inside our half, not "deep in our half".
There was plenty of time to still defend-unfortunately it was deja vu as we have seen so many goals like that scored against us this season.
At our level 3v2 does not always guarantee a goal, apart from Reading of course.

The whole defence of our side needs an overhaul and that includes the defensive duties of the midfield and attackers in what is meant to be a team game.
This season the attacker has been isolated as have the back 4 with our midfielders just not doing enough.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2022 11:40

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Oh, that post match interview with Ince yesterday, before that in previous matches I thought he came across as honest and told it as it was, but played well, really? without a single shot on target and only 6 in the whole game.

It was all a bit slow and shot shy, with no real threat. But we passed it around their box ok and got some nice moves forward in.

I wouldn't say we played badly, it was just a training game. With a big error. Neither team deserved to win imo. Bar the goal, none of their shots on target were really better than a shot off target

'Just a training game' is unacceptable from him and the players, given what the fans have been put through this season. They deserved far better and if Ince can't motivate the team to provide that, then it's another clear reason not to give him the job long term - not to mention his failure to make attacking changes off the bench until it was way too late.

Oh and any shot on target has to be better than off target because if the keeper/defenders make a mistake it's a goal.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2022 11:43

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal

No I'm not kidding.
Yes, he lost possession about 10 yards inside our half, not "deep in our half".
There was plenty of time to still defend-unfortunately it was deja vu as we have seen so many goals like that scored against us this season.
At our level 3v2 does not always guarantee a goal, apart from Reading of course.

The whole defence of our side needs an overhaul and that includes the defensive duties of the midfield and attackers in what is meant to be a team game.
This season the attacker has been isolated as have the back 4 with our midfielders just not doing enough.

Fully agree. Yes, he made a mistake that was a major contribution to us conceding and according to Ince was really beating himself up about it. However, that aside, he was yet again one of our best and most committed players both defensively and going forward/in terms of creativity.

If we could afford him, I would happily see him back next season. Replaces some of the skill and creativity that we are likely to lose from Swift and adds greater defensive/physical capabilities.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2022 13:26

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal

'Just a training game' is unacceptable from him and the players, given what the fans have been put through this season. They deserved far better and if Ince can't motivate the team to provide that, then it's another clear reason not to give him the job long term - not to mention his failure to make attacking changes off the bench until it was way too late.

Oh and any shot on target has to be better than off target because if the keeper/defenders make a mistake it's a goal.

A pea roller straight at the keeper is not a better effort than something that whistles narrowly past the upright or hits the post and bounces out. The off target shot is much closer to scoring. Imo.

128 posts