Brian Carey

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian Carey

by morganb » 22 May 2022 11:41

Vision
Snowflake Royal
royalp-we
Yep Ince mentioned he didn’t think we had any scouts and that him and Rae were doing everything at a presser, sending the fans in to meltdown. He was of course, talking bollocks.

At that Star meeting Paunovic was still manager, so it's possible that between then and Ince taking over the scouts were all let go / left.

That's also not 100% clear whether they're ours, or we're in contact with a network of someone else's scouts... Joorabchian's for example.

I thought at the time that Ince was referring to someone scouting the opposition rather than actual future signings . The sort of job that Chris Davies does/did for Rodgers and Bowen supposedly did for Gomes when he first joined us .

As badly as we feel we’re run I’d be very surprised if all scouting services for future signings have disappeared.

Think I saw that question raised on Twitter regarding if Ince meant scouting new players and scouting the opposition. Guess there may be some overlap of the two?

Then I thought surely all they do these days is watch videos of the opposition and potential signings on YouTube and look up their stats on the many online databases, rather than physically travelling around the country.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2022 12:26

morganb
Vision
Snowflake Royal At that Star meeting Paunovic was still manager, so it's possible that between then and Ince taking over the scouts were all let go / left.

That's also not 100% clear whether they're ours, or we're in contact with a network of someone else's scouts... Joorabchian's for example.

I thought at the time that Ince was referring to someone scouting the opposition rather than actual future signings . The sort of job that Chris Davies does/did for Rodgers and Bowen supposedly did for Gomes when he first joined us .

As badly as we feel we’re run I’d be very surprised if all scouting services for future signings have disappeared.

Think I saw that question raised on Twitter regarding if Ince meant scouting new players and scouting the opposition. Guess there may be some overlap of the two?

Then I thought surely all they do these days is watch videos of the opposition and potential signings on YouTube and look up their stats on the many online databases, rather than physically travelling around the country.

That would be pretty shit scouting if they do.

If you're scouting you want to be able to focus on specific things through the game, not just what the camera is showing you. Off the ball is as important as on it. You may even want to scope out how the opposition manage their bench and give instructions for an upcoming team.

Youtube videos are dreadful, they're a shit selection of highlights.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 May 2022 08:57

Yeah it's far better to be at a game rather than watching it on TV or through videos alone.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 May 2022 11:22

Late to the party I know, but did we really just totally ditch scouting in favour of agents!?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 May 2022 11:26

Millsy Late to the party I know, but did we really just totally ditch scouting in favour of agents!?

Unclear. There's conflicting info.

My guess is we used a network of 'consultant' scouts for finding players, and by the time Ince came in had no one physically attending games outside the coaching and management team for scouting the opposition.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 May 2022 11:43

Snowflake Royal
Millsy Late to the party I know, but did we really just totally ditch scouting in favour of agents!?

My guess is we used a network of 'consultant' scouts for finding players, and by the time Ince came in had no one physically attending games outside the coaching and management team for scouting the opposition.

Thx Ian.

That sounds absolutely nuts. You just sort of assume footy clubs of this size certainly will have on their payroll eyes all over the country scouting for talent at all levels (academy and first team).

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 May 2022 22:09

Snowflake Royal

Well Leon Hutchinson (father of Omari) is lead scout in the network of scouts we have operating.

As I say, Ince was talking nonsense.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 May 2022 08:51

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal

Well Leon Hutchinson (father of Omari) is lead scout in the network of scouts we have operating.

As I say, Ince was talking nonsense.

Were they agent led scouts though? That may have been what Ince was referring to as I believe both Seb Ewen and Jason Lawson are from Kia Joorabchian's agency? Jason Lawson might not be, but I know that Seb Ewen was/is.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 May 2022 10:59

Pepe the Horseman
SouthDownsRoyal Positive news

Calm down m8

I’m calm but it’s positive news m9

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 May 2022 23:15

He's been in the job for just over a week and apparently, by using a combination of Hob Nob and Twitter, has compiled a list of ex-Reading players he should bring back to the club. No other players will be considered at this time.