Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by Royalwaster » 02 Jul 2022 11:21

SouthDownsRoyal I am positive for next season, not expecting a monster turnaround but think we have turned a corner behind the scenes with a better structure and things will get better

Agree - great structure behind the team, but as yet no team.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Jul 2022 11:23

Royalwaster
SouthDownsRoyal I am positive for next season, not expecting a monster turnaround but think we have turned a corner behind the scenes with a better structure and things will get better

Agree - great structure behind the team, but as yet no team.

Give it time m8

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2022 12:00

It's a new season. New players. New staff. Always the time to be hopeful.

We've seen a lot of false dawns though. So will need 18 months to two seasons of progress before I really believe We've turned it around and learnt.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jul 2022 14:45

Snowflake Royal It's a new season. New players. New staff. Always the time to be hopeful.

We've seen a lot of false dawns though. So will need 18 months to two seasons of progress before I really believe We've turned it around and learnt.

I like that the club seem to be addressing the mistakes we've made that have got us into this EFL and playing staff morass. But realistically we will need to be patient before we start seeing an improvement in the signings we make and our league form. The time scale of 2 years is a minimum really. I expect more pain for the club before things improve.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jul 2022 21:13

It can work both ways, clubs like Birmingham have been languishing and struggling for years now even after their points penalty, but I am more optimistic of a brighter future, it's just important to survive this season, much easier to build in the Championship rather than League One.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Jul 2022 19:13

FIFA 23 simulator has us at 15th apparently.
Swansea, Blackpool and Wigan going down.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jul 2022 13:54

Ascotexgunner FIFA 23 simulator has us at 15th apparently.

I won't get my hopes up until I see the Football Manager 23 simulation

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 23 Jul 2022 21:07

Ascotexgunner FIFA 23 simulator has us at 15th apparently.

Swansea down???

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Jul 2022 21:21

There's plenty of reasons to think that we're on the right track now and building a decent future. Though, it's all going to come down to how much patience the fans have and whether P Ince can keep confidence up when we inevitably go through bad spells. If we turn on the team and manager every time we lose a few games in a row then there is no hope.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Jul 2022 22:08

My only hope is 21st or better this season in the table. I still see issues in the team that need addressing in midfield, left back and creative wise.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jul 2022 22:13

:lol: Jimmy

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2022 22:25

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 00:52

We definitely need another ten
I hope Ejaria can replace Swift but in any case we need another option

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Jul 2022 17:08

Reasons to be hopeful.... Blackpool looked awful today so we may win our first game

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jul 2022 17:49

Elm Park Kid There's plenty of reasons to think that we're on the right track now and building a decent future. Though, it's all going to come down to how much patience the fans have and whether P Ince can keep confidence up when we inevitably go through bad spells. If we turn on the team and manager every time we lose a few games in a row then there is no hope.

I don't think this season will be as bad as last season really for a number of reasons. I wouldn't expect the injury crisis to be as bad and I think expectations in both the team and the manager are much lower. Especially with no points deduction as well.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 25 Jul 2022 09:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Elm Park Kid There's plenty of reasons to think that we're on the right track now and building a decent future. Though, it's all going to come down to how much patience the fans have and whether P Ince can keep confidence up when we inevitably go through bad spells. If we turn on the team and manager every time we lose a few games in a row then there is no hope.

I don't think this season will be as bad as last season really for a number of reasons. I wouldn't expect the injury crisis to be as bad and I think expectations in both the team and the manager are much lower. Especially with no points deduction as well.

It's not going to take many injuries for it to be a crisis though, as the squad is paper thin.

I still think staying up will be a major achievement.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jul 2022 09:57

tmesis
YorkshireRoyal99

It's not going to take many injuries for it to be a crisis though, as the squad is paper thin.

True - but there were stages of last season where more than 50% of our squad was injured, I just don't think that will be the case this season. Obviously if we suffer from 5/6 injuries at one time, then we are going to struggle, but I think that could be said for a lot of teams this season as well.

Agree though that staying up is a big achievement for the club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Jul 2022 09:57

tmesis
YorkshireRoyal99

If the squad is something like 25 now, with 2 about to sign and Ince wanting 4 more then numbers look ok. Take out Moore and Puscas obviously.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 Jul 2022 11:18

I know that there are still some additions to the squad to come - but what do people think will be reasonable criteria on how to judge P. Ince? IMO . . .

We need to be restrained when criticising style of play or tactics for what is essentially a brand new team. It takes time for players to get to know each other's movements and preferred play. Frankly Ince will do well to get them to pull off any kind of strategy to begin with - We're bound to see a lot of in-depth, last ditch defending combined with misplaced passing, slow attacks and 'hopeful' balls into the box. It's just inevitable until the players can get time together.

Results-wise: Honestly, I think that just keeping our heads above water before Christmas is fine. In and out of relegation zone would be concerning, but not unexpected. I'd only get worried if we were well off safety.

Mentality: This is the big thing i'm hoping will change this season, and how i'll judge Ince. I don't want to see heads drop too much when conceding, or those 'straight after half time' goals. We don't one a couple of defeats to turn into 5 or 6 on the trot because the players are expecting to lose. We don't want too many bust ups in the changing room or arguments on the pitch.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jul 2022 11:35

Results, obviously. I'd anticipate we'd be in the relegation zone at some stages during the season, but providing we don't get cut adrift and we aren't 24th/23rd from a long period of time, then I'd be hopeful. I definitely think we can do better than 21st, but I'd take that happily this season. There will still be scope as well come January time for new deals as I feel like we will have a much better chance of moving Moore on then, which may open up another few spots for signings that we might need.

Providing our mentality is that of when Ince arrived, which was a massive improvement of that under Pauno, then we should have every chance of survival really. I can see the fans turning on Ince pretty quickly though if we lose a few games on the trot which I don't think will help him.

We seem to have a squad that is capable of competing in the Championship now, with more physical presences that should help us in a lot of areas of the field and there is plenty of experience to draw on within the squad now as well. With the likes of Joao and Meite, we've got quality and goals in our side, and I think our ability to score goals might be why we survive. I'm not sure how many sides that we expect to be in and around us could feasibly say they've got better attacking quality than ourselves, Bristol City maybe based on last seasons numbers?

257 posts