Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Reasons to be hopeful?

by LUX » 25 May 2022 14:03

Blimey, there's a very downbeat article on HNA main page about how we are in for a terrible season of struggle.

I'll stay always loyal and support the team, come what may, but are there any reasons to be optimistic?

I'm going to say, yes, we'll end up just above halfway. And win the Cup.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by Dirk Gently » 25 May 2022 14:12

Speculation that Bristol City, Stoke and Middlesbrough (and possibly four other clubs) facing points deductions next season - should help make survival easier for another season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 May 2022 14:27

It does sound like the Championship is on the verge of a financial reset with so many clubs falling foul of FFP potentially, adding to ourselves, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham of recent seasons.

If such a thing were to happen, won't it just extend the gap between the Prem and the Champ?

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 25 May 2022 14:41

I find it quite hard to be hopeful at the moment. Parts of last season were just horrific, and the club is a bit of a mess behind the scenes. We know that this coming season will be a long struggle, especially if the recruitment is not spot on.

However, if I am to try and put some RTGs on and come up with some reasons to be hopeful, there's:

* The continued line of players coming up through the academy. If they stay for the long term or end up getting sold off for a pittance is another matter, but it is good to see so many academy players making an appearance. We'll surely see more of the same next season.

* In appointing Bowen and Carey the club finally seem to be trying to get a proper structure in place between the manager and the owner. That's something the club has been sorely missing, and this is a step in the right direction.

* The wage bill should be a lot smaller than this season, which is crucial to avoid further points deductions. Hopefully the owner has learned his lesson on this one, and the club can go back to more sensible signings.

* Hopefully this can be the first season in a couple of years without Covid hanging over a good chunk of it. There's bound to be concerns as we move towards the winter, but fingers crossed we can avoid the kinds restrictions on attending matches that we saw before.

* Every season one team everyone predicts will be crap does unexpectedly well. It probably won't be Reading next season, but you never know. And that's what's great about football - no matter how crap things are, there's always the hope of a crazy good patch just around the corner.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 May 2022 14:46

I think the beauty of the Championship is that any team has a chance every season. Granted that the relegated sides have strong squads and parachute payments but I think its widely accepted Burnley won't have a lot to spend and will lose a lot of players. No one would have predicted Luton to finish so high, or even Huddersfield.

I think with 3 or 4 shrewd, quality signings we will be onto good things.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 May 2022 14:48

I'm hopeful because over the past week the club at least appear to be getting their house in order.

All I'm looking for this year is the start of a plan and staying up, anything beyond that is a bonus. Staying up will be success.

I'm not looking too much more into it until such time as I know what the squad looks like and maybe even seen them perform in a game or two.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2022 14:52

There is so much wrong with the club I don't even know where to begin and that isn't only the playing side of things. The local media, the matchday experience, the food, the supporters, the supporters groups, the club related social media. All abysmal and something I won't change my opinion on.

All that being said I think even the most pessimistic and negative supporters need to go into next season open minded and with a new approach as regards the playing side of things. I am willing to push the reset button on my views on the ownership and management team along with the players too. Lets give it a chance and see where it goes, there are too many unknowns as it stands to predict where this football club are going.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 May 2022 15:03

NathStPaul There is so much wrong with the club I don't even know where to begin and that isn't only the playing side of things. The local media, the matchday experience, the food, the supporters, the supporters groups, the club related social media. All abysmal and something I won't change my opinion on.

All that being said I think even the most pessimistic and negative supporters need to go into next season open minded and with a new approach as regards the playing side of things. I am willing to push the reset button on my views on the ownership and management team along with the players too. Lets give it a chance and see where it goes, there are too many unknowns as it stands to predict where this football club are going.

A really good post, which captures my thoughts exactly. I have been so full of doom and gloom this season but it’s time for a reset.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 May 2022 15:44

Really looking forward to next season tbh. It hurts when you have a team that you know should be doing ok doing badly.

Next season we have a fresh manager, fresh players, academy players, positive changes in the setup and we're expected to go down so won't be hoping for much so any win, any point will be a plus. Just the Reading I grew to love! Bring it on!!!! :)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2022 16:40

There are reasons to be hopeful, but there are also reasons to be pessimistic as well. I'm no season ticket holder but I see/hear fans complaints about the matchday experience, it's less of an issue for me because I enjoy going when I get the opportunity to.

I think it really depends how this summer goes and how we start the season. I've got a bit of a superstition around the opening day of the season where, if you win, it will be a good season, if you lose (or don't win), it'll be a poor one. Since 2013/14, we have won on the opening day 3 times, in those 3 seasons we finished 7th twice and 3rd. All the rest have been defeats (bar one draw against Wigan) and were all poor seasons and/or bottom half finishes.

Obviously not going just off one game, but I do believe we could use a solid start in our opening 6 games, if we can anything between 8-13 points in our opening set of games, I'll be optimistic for a decent season. The opening games give a really good platform to build on and I think that's what we need going into next season, particularly with the one we've just had, I think it'll give the club as a whole a big boost. So I'm reserving judgement in the main, but I am also 60-40 with regards to optimistic-pessimistic ratio as well.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 25 May 2022 17:03

Dirk Gently Speculation that Bristol City, Stoke and Middlesbrough (and possibly four other clubs) facing points deductions next season - should help make survival easier for another season.

Here's hoping. It'll help us and be great entertainment for the rest of us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 May 2022 19:09

Here’s hoping that it won’t matter

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 May 2022 19:13

LUX Blimey, there's a very downbeat article on HNA main page about how we are in for a terrible season of struggle.

I'll stay always loyal and support the team, come what may, but are there any reasons to be optimistic?

I'm going to say, yes, we'll end up just above halfway. And win the Cup.

This is a ridiculous post LUX. We will end up winning the League. And win the Cup. Stop being so negative.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 May 2022 20:41

One thing is that there's no expectations and nothing really new to get upset about now. The club has already made every mistake it possibly can. So hopefully the fans will just stay united and support the team and manager regardless of how we're getting on.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 May 2022 20:45

The amount of empty seats will bear testimony to that philosophy.

There can only be more ‘connect’ come what may.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 May 2022 20:50

EVery Summer I’m hopeful, but then I’m also blindly optimistic generally. Whilst I thoroughly enjoy my football it’s not real life, it’s escapism and I no longer get down when things are not going well. I can generally find positive things to see and enjoy and frankly if I stopped thinking that way I’d know it was time to stop going to games. I know not everyone thinks the same but it serves me well, doesn’t mean there aren’t things you could worry about just means realising they are things I can’t alter.....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 May 2022 20:52

There's a lot of wisdom in your post there.

Got to take those negatives and turn them into positives

…..agreed, nobody here :wink:

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 May 2022 21:02

Millsy Really looking forward to next season tbh. It hurts when you have a team that you know should be doing ok doing badly.

Next season we have a fresh manager, fresh players, academy players, positive changes in the setup and we're expected to go down so won't be hoping for much so any win, any point will be a plus. Just the Reading I grew to love! Bring it on!!!! :)

I was sat there thinking what to write and read this post!! This exactly, i think we may have hit rock bottom, however, over the last few weeks there are early signs that the penny may have dropped with the owners and that there may be some sort of plan slowly being put together.

There will be zero expectations going into next season and i think that will make us dangerous and may take a few team by surprise.
If we can just keep the spine of the team together plus mix in a few clever freebies and loans plus start bringing through some of our youth, then we may just get through this.

Lets not forget that other teams will be cutting cloth and some may fall foul of FFP rulings and find themselves in the same boat as us this season.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 25 May 2022 21:16

Loads of reasons to be hopeful.

We will start the new season with very low expectations, so we will be underestimated by many.

We have stability in the backroom, with a Manager who, though he succeeded last season still has something to prove.

We will see a lot of younger players coming through from the Academy, and will not be purchasing a load of money grabbing mercenaries who don't give a crap for the club.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 May 2022 21:18

Reason to be optimistic, we'll get a very good payout for Reading to win the division if we take that bet.

257 posts