Injury watch 2022/23

808 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Injury watch 2022/23

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2022 09:10

blythspartan I know probably a dumb ass question but do clubs have any form of insurance for this type of scenario? I guess we’ll be lumbered with paying his salary until the bitter end. I seem to remember this happening with the much loved Jason Roberts.

Probably but I would imagine his wage would still count against the wage budget, even if in reality we get money in for it - so insurance may help us minimise losses but won't allow us to remove his wage from the 16m budget.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2022 09:20

The 2022/23 season has hardly started and already you are not allowed to suggest that our new goalkeeper might not be very good or that Liam Moore is a complete mercenary who is taking the club for a ride.

The professionally offended will rule the team board for another season then.... :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2022 09:31

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan What bad news. It’s not his fault that he gets the salary he gets but this could scupper some of our recruitment plans. Fair enough if he’s fit and Ince wants to utilise him but if he’s out for months and being paid big bucks that’s a really tough break for us.

Of course it's his oxf*rd fault. He and his agents negotiated for it, getting it by trying to force a transfer. And he's perfectly capable of agreeing a pay cut. Yes Dai shouldn’t have agreed it, it takes two to tango and they should both oxf*rd off.

He has a right to demand what he wants. We offered him the deal, not the other way around. Dai offered him the contract, we were in control, not the player.

Bollox

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jun 2022 09:34

Proper annoying that injury. Moore really is a total disaster zone

Basically cuts our wage budget for the year by 1.5m. Last thing we needed

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jun 2022 09:36

Not really though is it? You talk about "greedy" player, some truth of course, but what about greedy owner who has essentially tried to buy our way to the Premier League since they arrived?

Ultimately, Moore had interest from the PL, he is well within his right to say, I want £30k a week because I can get that in the PL. We then had the choice to offer him it, or not. We offered him it where we otherwise shouldn't have done, we are now paying the price as we are trying to offload an overpaid player with 12 months left on his deal, who is now injured.

We shouldn't have done it, we should have sold, but nobody said we had to give him the contract, that's on the club.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jun 2022 09:38

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Of course it's his oxf*rd fault. He and his agents negotiated for it, getting it by trying to force a transfer. And he's perfectly capable of agreeing a pay cut. Yes Dai shouldn’t have agreed it, it takes two to tango and they should both oxf*rd off.

He has a right to demand what he wants. We offered him the deal, not the other way around. Dai offered him the contract, we were in control, not the player.

Bollox

It's not bolloxs at all
No one was putting a gun to the head of Reading FC. If we were stupid enough to pay Moore what he wanted its entirely our fault.
We should have got rid when he was a saleable asset and still on sensible wages.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2022 09:44

NathStPaul The 2022/23 season has hardly started and already you are not allowed to suggest that our new goalkeeper might not be very good or that Liam Moore is a complete mercenary who is taking the club for a ride.

The professionally offended will rule the team board for another season then.... :roll:

You can say what you like but have to accept you may be disagreed with on certain points.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2022 09:51

Just a reminder that Liam Moore was off, he said his goodbyes and wasn't coming back. He didn't get any offers and won't come to terms on a release so is now "injured".

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 22 Jun 2022 09:58

Stranded
blythspartan I know probably a dumb ass question but do clubs have any form of insurance for this type of scenario? I guess we’ll be lumbered with paying his salary until the bitter end. I seem to remember this happening with the much loved Jason Roberts.

Probably but I would imagine his wage would still count against the wage budget, even if in reality we get money in for it - so insurance may help us minimise losses but won't allow us to remove his wage from the 16m budget.

I am pretty sure insurance cover only provides for "total loss" i.e if the player suffers a career ending injury. Clubs have to suck up the wages for the long (and short) term injuries. The cost of insurance would otherwise be prohibitive.

I do know that loan players come with a requirement for some serious insurance e.g. player X coming on loan to the UK from, say, Portugal, may come with a stipulation that insurance is arranged for £25m in case he is sent back permanently crocked. Cost of the insurance alone would add many £££ to the loan arrangement.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Jun 2022 10:07

Insurance would only cover the medical professionals outside of the club + operations etc.
Not cover wages, i think there is a clause if he done it on international duty then we have a case to claim compensation.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jun 2022 10:09

NathStPaul The 2022/23 season has hardly started and already you are not allowed to suggest that our new goalkeeper might not be very good or that Liam Moore is a complete mercenary who is taking the club for a ride.

Nath unfortunately you are doing exactly that. It might actually shock you but sometimes you could be wrong or posters disagree with you. Its life. You might say Lumley is awful, i have seen evidence and reasoning different to that. Similarly with Moore, i personally thought he gave it all in a Reading shirt, and the blame lies with the club more than him.

You can make your posts like you do, as others will do the same, doesn't mean people are offended or ruling the board far from it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jun 2022 10:10

NathStPaul Just a reminder that Liam Moore was off, he said his goodbyes and wasn't coming back. He didn't get any offers and won't come to terms on a release so is now "injured".

We aren't even in July yet, so even if he isn't injured, that would mean there is a better chance of a club coming in with an offer for him.

Who knows how long the injury is, the injury may be 2 months for example, which may mean a late transfer window move elsewhere. Grasping at straws somewhat, yes, but still a possibility hypothetically.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Jun 2022 10:11

NathStPaul Just a reminder that Liam Moore was off, he said his goodbyes and wasn't coming back. He didn't get any offers and won't come to terms on a release so is now "injured".

What a surprise :roll:

Get rid

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jun 2022 10:16

NathStPaul
Stranded Months makes it sound pretty serious. Best for all if he leaves but don't wish a bad injury on the bloke. We gave him the contract after all.

We could pay him off I.e. come to a deal where we pay him 50% of his last year and leave him free to get a deal wherever and whenever he is fit i.e. if he is fit in October he can move then rather than have to wait until Jan but also allow him to rehab at Bearwood til then.

LOL @ thinking Liam Moore isn't going to rinse us dry until the bitter end.

Even less motivation (in fact none at all) for him to accept any sort of settlement if he is injured

He’ll take the full wage until he is back 100% fully fit and won’t consider going anywhere else as he knows there won’t be any takers

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Jun 2022 10:24

Anyway, at least this explains why we might be after Ryan Bennett. Personally, I am happy with the way things are progressing this season as it looks like we have a plan.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jun 2022 10:38

SouthDownsRoyal

Get rid

How? I`ll wait.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Jun 2022 10:40

windermereROYAL
SouthDownsRoyal

Get rid

How? I`ll wait.

We can’t, I know, just a turn of phrase

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jun 2022 11:21

I think the vast majority of us want Moore off the books but this knee injury means we will be stuck with him until at least January. That’s bad news. We just have to hope he is fit before then and can be offloaded in January. At least by then he will only have six months left on his contract so another club may be willing to buy him on a free and pay the rest of his contracted wages and reduced terms for any contract beyond.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jun 2022 11:29

Very similar to Jack Rodwell at Sunderland, he was reported to be on £65k a week, when they got relegated the club did all they could to move him on, but he refused and sat on his arse for a year while raking it in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2022 12:40

Zip
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Bollox

It's not bolloxs at all
No one was putting a gun to the head of Reading FC. If we were stupid enough to pay Moore what he wanted its entirely our fault.
We should have got rid when he was a saleable asset and still on sensible wages.

You all seem to think it's only possible for one person to be at fault, and and forget all the power players have.

I don't. We didn't put a gun to his head and force him to take it.

808 posts