Injury watch 2022/23

808 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Injury watch 2022/23

by Sutekh » 13 Oct 2022 10:49

Presume the club can’t recall Dorsett until January and can’t sign Hector unless someone leaves or picks up a season ending injury. Given Reading’s injury record think the next few games will be very nervous every time a Reading defender falls over.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Oct 2022 14:25

Sounds like Long could be back in contention on Saturday.

I'd love to see Long and AC upfront together. Think it would work perfectly. Just a shame they're both in their 30s :lol:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Oct 2022 14:30

Hendo Sounds like Long could be back in contention on Saturday.

I'd love to see Long and AC upfront together. Think it would work perfectly. Just a shame they're both in their 30s :lol:

Like you, I think it might work better than the AC/Joao combo. even if the results with those two up front have not been horrendous.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Oct 2022 14:40

South Coast Royal
Hendo Sounds like Long could be back in contention on Saturday.

Like you, I think it might work better than the AC/Joao combo. even if the results with those two up front have not been horrendous.

Agreed, I just think Long would be the perfect foil to Carroll's ability to win pretty much anything in the air.

A bit like Kitson and Doyle, or Kitson and Long for that matter :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Oct 2022 15:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Not great but if further injuries I guess we could just go 4 at the back - though means two very offensive FBs in Hoilett and NGW

NGW could also play LCB if we wanted to stick with 3 and maybe play Ejaria out left

Or bring in Abbey or Abrefa.

If it was a 4 at the back I'd imagine we'd play Yiadom at RB with Holmes and TMac CB's and NGW left back?

But I agree, looking very stretched and down to the limit now. Wouldn't mind Clarke/Abbey stepping into the first team for a couple of games because they seem as if they may be capable, only time will tell though.

In case of further injuries - ie if one of Holmes, Yids or McIntyre got injured

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Oct 2022 15:31

Injury levels are not bad at all....just in one position pretty much.
So Hutchinson,Sarr,Azeez, Dann and if we count him Moore are out.
No need for Ince to complain about injuries or a thin squad. We have a senior aquad of 24/25 plus decent Academy back up.

The above are riches compared to what Pauno had.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Oct 2022 16:08

Ince also has something approaching a clue which is riches compared to what Pauno had

Not that worried really - enough in the squad to cope. Don’t see Hutch as more than a squad player anyway tbh, he’d be behind the other 3 for me

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2022 08:02

Name - Injury - Current expected return

1. Azeez, Femi - Hamstring - Burnley (a)
  2. Dann, Scott - Calf - 202?
  3. Hutchinson, Sam - Leg (calf or hamstring) - Hull (a)
  4. Long, Shane - Virus - WBA (h)
  5. Moore, Liam - Knee - Coventry (h) :lol:
  6. Rahman, Baba - Hamstring - Luton (a)
  7. Sarr, Naby - Groin - Burnley (a)
  8. Tetek, Dejan - Hamstring - Hull (a)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Oct 2022 08:50

It's a bit of a shame that two or our most promising academy talents that are on the fringes of the first team have been consistently on the injury list basically since they were involved in the squad.

Tetek and Azeez could have featured so much more in the last season and a bit, but injuries have just prevented them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Oct 2022 09:00

Sutekh

I forgot about Rahman. Can't believe Tetek is injured again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Oct 2022 09:03

YorkshireRoyal99 It's a bit of a shame that two or our most promising academy talents that are on the fringes of the first team have been consistently on the injury list basically since they were involved in the squad.

Tetek and Azeez could have featured so much more in the last season and a bit, but injuries have just prevented them.

Neither Tetek or Azeez seem to have bodies that can cope with the physicality of the game. It is a shame but unless things change they are not going to have long term futures as pro footballers as neither can go more than a few games without getting injured again

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2022 09:27

Sutekh

As injury lists go given the spell of the season we are in, that is OK and the best it has been here for some time. Just a shame that 50% of those out injured are Centre Backs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Oct 2022 09:36

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 It's a bit of a shame that two or our most promising academy talents that are on the fringes of the first team have been consistently on the injury list basically since they were involved in the squad.

Neither Tetek or Azeez seem to have bodies that can cope with the physicality of the game. It is a shame but unless things change they are not going to have long term futures as pro footballers as neither can go more than a few games without getting injured again

Might be because they weren't ready for this level of football, in respect to physicality. Not 100% sure what type of injuries they've suffered throughout their time in the first team, but I'm pretty sure they've both had a soft tissue injury (or two) each since the start of last season.

I just wonder if they (Tetek more than Azeez maybe) would benefit from a loan spell away to a L1 club in Jan for the rest of the season to get some consistent game time and minutes at a level where the intensity maybe isn't quite the same as the Championship.

Might not be ideal with our own injury situation and cover might be necessary but it's not as if they are fit consistently in our squad currently.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2022 09:53

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

Might be because they weren't ready for this level of football, in respect to physicality. Not 100% sure what type of injuries they've suffered throughout their time in the first team, but I'm pretty sure they've both had a soft tissue injury (or two) each since the start of last season.

I just wonder if they (Tetek more than Azeez maybe) would benefit from a loan spell away to a L1 club in Jan for the rest of the season to get some consistent game time and minutes at a level where the intensity maybe isn't quite the same as the Championship.

Might not be ideal with our own injury situation and cover might be necessary but it's not as if they are fit consistently in our squad currently.

Tetek is OOC next summer isn't he? At the moment, I would not expect him to be here in 23/24 but a loan in January may change that view if it is successful or it may ease the move down a level or 2 for him. Would fully expect him to be back at Champ level in a couple of years if he did drop down and can pretty much already read the threads about why we let him go already.

With Azeez, it's beginning to feel like there was a mis-step there in giving him 2 more years given his injury record. He clearly has the talent to have a very good career at Champ level (or even low end PL) but for either of those to happen he needs to be able to string together more than 5 games before breaking down again.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Oct 2022 11:15

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

Tetek is OOC next summer isn't he? At the moment, I would not expect him to be here in 23/24 but a loan in January may change that view if it is successful or it may ease the move down a level or 2 for him. Would fully expect him to be back at Champ level in a couple of years if he did drop down and can pretty much already read the threads about why we let him go already.

With Azeez, it's beginning to feel like there was a mis-step there in giving him 2 more years given his injury record. He clearly has the talent to have a very good career at Champ level (or even low end PL) but for either of those to happen he needs to be able to string together more than 5 games before breaking down again.

Yeah, Tetek certainly has something to prove, Azeez maybe less so as the fans saw his impact at the start of last season, agree the club would never be forgiven for letting them go if they eventually made their way back up to the Championship and were good players at other clubs.

I do think both would benefit from a loan in Jan until the end of the current season to someone in a division below. Both have the potential to play at this level in the future, however it's probably not wise to let both go permanently. That more applies to Tetek as he is OOC rather than Azeez obviously.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2022 11:45

Tbh, with their injury records I think the only one who'd care would be Paul, and only about Azeez.

If you can't be fit for more than 5 games in a row in what will be 2 years by the end of the season, the only blame if they go on and succeed elsewhere is on the medical team, nothing to do with the contracts.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Oct 2022 13:18

Spoke to someone at the club 2 summers ago and he said they had real high hopes for Tetek and last season was going to be his breakthrough year, and hence he wasn't put up for loan. But just hasn't been able to get fit. If he does get fit soon, I'd be tempted to send him into the National League (or below) just to get some game time under his belt until the transfer window re-opens in January.

As for centre back shortages, I reckon big AC could do a job if needed :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2022 13:26

Tetek is the most concerning contract wise. From the little I’ve seen there is some real promise there, need to be talking to him now about renewing not letting it ride and losing out.

Azeez seems to be the most concerning injury wise as it seems he keeps getting hamstring problems. At least he has another year to go after this one but really need to treat with kid gloves for the next few months and hopefully things will improve.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Oct 2022 13:51

Sutekh Tetek is the most concerning contract wise. From the little I’ve seen there is some real promise there, need to be talking to him now about renewing not letting it ride and losing out.

Azeez seems to be the most concerning injury wise as it seems he keeps getting hamstring problems. At least he has another year to go after this one but really need to treat with kid gloves for the next few months and hopefully things will improve.

Think, as Ian has mentioned, I'm not sure how many would be bothered about losing Tetek considering his lack of appearances and lack of consistency in regard to keeping fit.

The only real concern would be if he makes it back to this level and performs like we have seen with a few players now (Stacey, Dickie, Fosu etc). However, there are also a lot that haven't either (Barrett, Kuhl, Jake Taylor etc), so it's essentially leaving it down to how the player develops.

I'd like Tetek to stay, I think he does have a bright future with ourselves but if he keeps picking up these injuries that are lasting for a significant amount of the season, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2022 14:14

I like to think the key for most people is did we give them a chance to prove themselves able to compete at this level.

If its yes, then letting them go is fair enough. Antonio, Loader, Fosu (bit more iffy) Tshibola, Kelly, Taylor, Hector, Kuhl, Cooper, Azeez, Tetek...

If no, and they make it then not ok, think Dickie, Stacey, Hyam...

808 posts