Injury watch 2022/23

808 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Injury watch 2022/23

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Jul 2022 09:24

blythspartan However you look it we’re very unlucky with injuries. Not sure if it’s because we’re just signing crocks or whether it’s down to the training methods we use but it just feels like a constant conveyor belt. I appreciate all teams get injuries and maybe ours feel worse because of the lack of depth in the squad.

When I watch Joao play for all his brilliance at times he does look like an accident waiting to happen. I can’t put my finger on it and maybe it’s to do with him having a poor centre of gravity. I think Azeez could be special but his explosiveness is probably always going to make him liable to pull a hamstring. I just hope things improve as it’s clear if they don’t it could cost us our place in the Championship.

Is it unlucky though? There is a Lady Bracknell quote there somewhere. One injury crisis is unfortunate, but a perpetual injury crisis spanning across 5 seasons or so suggests we're getting something terribly wrong.

If you looked at the Coppell and McDermott eras, it was never like this. I think our medical team is crap.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Jul 2022 09:30

Crazy injury list, carrying on :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2022 09:41

Any apology from the people who poo pooed me saying the preseason injuries were showing the problem hadn't gone away?

What are we operating at now? About one injury a week since the start of pre-season, on average?

Anyone want to claim that’s normal?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Jul 2022 09:55

Snowflake Royal Any apology from the people who poo pooed me saying the preseason injuries were showing the problem hadn't gone away?

What are we operating at now? About one injury a week since the start of pre-season, on average?

It is not normal

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Jul 2022 10:08

To lose four players to injury in the week before the first game is indefensible. Why are both Azeez and Tetek constantly picking up new injuries? Are the medical team even looking at this and is training being managed accordingly? Why do we pick up so many soft tissue injuries and injuries in training?

To the start the new season with eight out is ridiculous. I have included Moore and Puscas in that list and Ormonde-Ottewill although the latter seems to have a poor injury record anyway so perhaps best not to sign him.

There is no chance of us staying up if this continues.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2022 10:19

Yeah that pretty much

Tbf to Pauno, despite the fact he was obviously a bit useless, injuries probably the reason we didn’t make the play offs and then the reason we were even near the relegation places

It’s a major issue. It can’t continue or we won’t have a hope this year

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Jul 2022 11:06

Snowflake Royal Any apology from the people who poo pooed me saying the preseason injuries were showing the problem hadn't gone away?

Agree, it’s not normal. I mentioned earlier that we’re very unlucky but there has to be more to it. Like most fans I was expecting Joao to be a slight doubt but to lose Hutchinson, Azeez, and Tetek in one week is ridiculous.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Jul 2022 11:26

How did Hutchinson and Tetek get injured?

In training or the Brighton game?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jul 2022 11:29

Mid Sussex Royal How did Hutchinson and Tetek get injured?

I'm pretty sure I heard Ince refer to 'knocks in training'.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Jul 2022 11:33

SouthDownsRoyal

It is not normal

But isn’t it a symptom of our recruitment restrictions, I.e. can only sign freebies? Which is a symptom of the poor financial management of Mr Dai

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jul 2022 11:42

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

It is not normal

But isn’t it a symptom of our recruitment restrictions, I.e. can only sign freebies? Which is a symptom of the poor financial management of Mr Dai

I don't believe so. Look at how many of our paid for transfers, homegrown and loan players were getting injured last season. Unless, of course, you mean lack of squad depth leading to over playing and players playing when not fully fit/recovered.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Jul 2022 11:59

RoyalBlue
Mid Sussex Royal How did Hutchinson and Tetek get injured?

I'm pretty sure I heard Ince refer to 'knocks in training'.

And there you have it in a nutshell, if we are picking up injuries in training what chance do we have in a real game?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2022 12:04

Have to say I was not impressed with the effort going into stretching in the warm up. Seemed very half hearted and short.

I've done more thorough stretching before a kickabout.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Jul 2022 12:10

What are we saying though - That there's some tangible, fundamental issue at the club that is causing our players to get injured, or stay injured longer? And that the club could do something to fix it but haven't.

Think about that for a second. It means that either the club are unaware of the issue (ie, they are blind) or they don't want to fix it (negligent) or don't know how to fix it (idiots). Is any of that likely? I mean, sure, they've made plenty of mistakes over the years, but would they really allow this situation to continue if there was something they could do about it? Are there not people outside the owners who would have identified the issue years ago?

Just consider what you're saying and whether it passes the basic rules of logic . . . .

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jul 2022 12:14

Snowflake Royal Have to say I was not impressed with the effort going into stretching in the warm up. Seemed very half hearted and short.

Didn't Ince highlight a lack of stretching as a problem last season? If so, why hasn't that been fixed? IMO would be worth getting a Sports Science Department from a top university to investigate what the hell is going on.

Elm Park Kid What are we saying though - That there's some tangible, fundamental issue at the club that is causing our players to get injured, or stay injured longer? And that the club could do something to fix it but haven't.

Think about that for a second. It means that either the club are unaware of the issue (ie, they are blind) or they don't want to fix it (negligent) or don't know how to fix it (idiots). Is any of that likely? I mean, sure, they've made plenty of mistakes over the years, but would they really allow this situation to continue if there was something they could do about it? Are there not people outside the owners who would have identified the issue years ago?

Just consider what you're saying and whether it passes the basic rules of logic . . . .

I can see what you're saying but haven't we seen a few things in recent years that would defy basic rules of logic?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Jul 2022 12:21

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal Have to say I was not impressed with the effort going into stretching in the warm up. Seemed very half hearted and short.

Didn't Ince highlight a lack of stretching as a problem last season? If so, why hasn't that been fixed? IMO would be worth getting a Sports Science Department from a top university to investigate what the hell is going on.

Elm Park Kid What are we saying though - That there's some tangible, fundamental issue at the club that is causing our players to get injured, or stay injured longer? And that the club could do something to fix it but haven't.

I can see what you're saying but haven't we seen a few things in recent years that would defy basic rules of logic?

We've seen decisions that are hard to understand - but none that defy basic logic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2022 12:47

Elm Park Kid
RoyalBlue

We've seen decisions that are hard to understand - but none that defy basic logic.

We've seen plenty of incompetence.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2022 13:28

Tbf sports science and injury prevention along with getting players to perform at absolute top level isn’t simple stuff

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2022 15:17

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
fred sharpes nose I'm totally fed up with Joao - he seems to be made of glass. What was the point of signing up Dann - he has hardly played for us whereas Morrison at least made the fielld. Do we have too many crocked older guys ? Not good

We basically have 3 injury-prone forwards in Joao, Long & Meite. You have to hope & pray they don’t sync their injuries.

I guess that’s why Ince still wants another striker at Champ level.

Dann is a frustration to me…how many games has he actually played? At this point, I wouldn’t have renewed his contract when it was renewed. Morrison has lost his legs but might have been adequate as a back up.

14(1).

None of them especially good.

They binned Morrison off for Dann?! :lol:

Can only presume Dann was going to be a whole lot cheaper.
Last edited by Sutekh on 31 Jul 2022 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jul 2022 15:18

Hound Tbf sports science and injury prevention along with getting players to perform at absolute top level isn’t simple stuff

Sir Steve and his management teams didn’t have any problem. The club currently can’t even get part of the way there it seems and while you can say it’s just bad luck there comes a point when the sheer volume over long periods of time start to suggest otherwise.

24 hours into the new season and SEVEN already injured.

808 posts