Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Zip » 03 Jul 2022 21:48

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Not convinced Ince trusts Meite, I could see a scenario where Azeez will start ahead of him come the first game.

It's tough to say because of his injury and apparently there were reports he was struggling with an ankle problem after his knee injury as well, so he probably struggled to get fit really, as Ince did point out after Meite started against Peterborough.

I could see it as well, it would just seem a bit mad to drop Meite considering the threat he poses. Goals will be important next season, so it's imperative, for me anyway, we get Meite and Joao on the pitch as often as possible really.

Meite is a huge threat against tired defenders though. To have the luxury of bringing him on after 70 minutes would be great to have. He's obviously a decent player but do I see him having the discipline to track back early on in games? Maybe not.
The rumours of Shane Long coming back are growing too. If I had to pick one of our existing players that had the greatest chance of leaving it would probably be Meite, can't see why you'd need Long, Meite, Azeez, Joao and Ince.

I dunno. Of the five you mention there is a very good chance three would start with the other two coming on as subs. It’s also likely at least one of them will be injured at any one time. If Long joins then Puscas is clearly gone.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Jul 2022 21:54

Zip
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
It's tough to say because of his injury and apparently there were reports he was struggling with an ankle problem after his knee injury as well, so he probably struggled to get fit really, as Ince did point out after Meite started against Peterborough.

I could see it as well, it would just seem a bit mad to drop Meite considering the threat he poses. Goals will be important next season, so it's imperative, for me anyway, we get Meite and Joao on the pitch as often as possible really.

Meite is a huge threat against tired defenders though. To have the luxury of bringing him on after 70 minutes would be great to have. He's obviously a decent player but do I see him having the discipline to track back early on in games? Maybe not.
The rumours of Shane Long coming back are growing too. If I had to pick one of our existing players that had the greatest chance of leaving it would probably be Meite, can't see why you'd need Long, Meite, Azeez, Joao and Ince.

I dunno. Of the five you mention there is a very good chance three would start with the other two coming on as subs. It’s also likely at least one of them will be injured at any one time. If Long joins then Puscas is clearly gone.

Yeah I'm not putting Puscas in the equation, judging by his social media he's definitely off. Not even in the country.
I worry a bit about Clarke (if he's signed on), think he gets forgotten about. Personally, and I know its not a view that's popular, I'd rather involve Clarke and use him as our 2nd out and out striker rather than sign Shane Long.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jul 2022 22:03

NathStPaul
Zip
NathStPaul Meite is a huge threat against tired defenders though. To have the luxury of bringing him on after 70 minutes would be great to have. He's obviously a decent player but do I see him having the discipline to track back early on in games? Maybe not.

Yeah I'm not putting Puscas in the equation, judging by his social media he's definitely off. Not even in the country.
I worry a bit about Clarke (if he's signed on), think he gets forgotten about. Personally, and I know its not a view that's popular, I'd rather involve Clarke and use him as our 2nd out and out striker rather than sign Shane Long.

Yep it's not a bad shout re Clarke and it might be why he has yet to sign. He does need to be in the mix

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jul 2022 22:03

NathStPaul
Zip
NathStPaul Meite is a huge threat against tired defenders though. To have the luxury of bringing him on after 70 minutes would be great to have. He's obviously a decent player but do I see him having the discipline to track back early on in games? Maybe not.

Yep it's not a bad shout re Clarke and it might be why he has yet to sign. He does need to be in the mix
If Long joins Clarke and Hoilett both stay then we start looking a bit heavy on numbers

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2022 23:01

blythspartan Please can someone who is good at setting up polls set one up in a week or 2 about where people believe we’ll finish next season. Personally, I am positive about next season but it would be good to know other peoples opinions. Hopefully, over the next 2 weeks we should see a few more signings.

Did you join the league table prediction league?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2022 23:03

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul He won't be on the fringes though hence why he's signed a new deal. He had bigger clubs than us after him who'd like pay more money but chose to stay at Reading for limited game time? He's clearly been told he's a huge part of things next season.

Ok, we will see how the season plays out. Providing he isn't just wasted with limited minutes here and there, I'm not really bothered because I can see him being a success if we play our cards right.

Not convinced Ince trusts Meite, I could see a scenario where Azeez will start ahead of him come the first game.

That would be madness

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Jul 2022 23:35

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Ok, we will see how the season plays out. Providing he isn't just wasted with limited minutes here and there, I'm not really bothered because I can see him being a success if we play our cards right.

Not convinced Ince trusts Meite, I could see a scenario where Azeez will start ahead of him come the first game.

That would be madness
Not what I would do personally but realistically there is only one place up for grabs in attack assuming Ince goes with an attacking 3. Joao will start each week, Tom Ince is the managers son which leaves Azeez and Meite to fight it out.

Just think there must have been an assurance made to Azeez which led him to re-sign, most obvious assurance being game time. Meite had a serious injury which he came back from and then a further injury/aggravated the previous one. I wonder if Ince feels he can rely on him?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2022 23:50

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Please can someone who is good at setting up polls set one up in a week or 2 about where people believe we’ll finish next season. Personally, I am positive about next season but it would be good to know other peoples opinions. Hopefully, over the next 2 weeks we should see a few more signings.

Did someone say poll? … watch this space

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Jul 2022 05:28

Snowflake Royal

I did and I am pretty happy with my prediction for us. I appreciate that it shows where people think we’ll finish but it’s about the whole championship table and not just us. I think someone even has us top so has maybe taken a random approach. Saying that, hopefully we’ll finish top.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jul 2022 06:31

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul Not convinced Ince trusts Meite, I could see a scenario where Azeez will start ahead of him come the first game.

That would be madness
Not what I would do personally but realistically there is only one place up for grabs in attack assuming Ince goes with an attacking 3. Joao will start each week, Tom Ince is the managers son which leaves Azeez and Meite to fight it out.

Just think there must have been an assurance made to Azeez which led him to re-sign, most obvious assurance being game time. Meite had a serious injury which he came back from and then a further injury/aggravated the previous one. I wonder if Ince feels he can rely on him?

Joao had a pretty iffy injury record last season and Azeez seemed to stumble from one injury to another so not sure Meite’s injury would be a cause to not pick your best team. Of course if one of them is still feeling less than 100% itmight be a factor, but Meite played and scored on Saturday....
In terms of assurances all a manager can do is tell players they will get opportunities. No way would you tell an unproven 21 year old he’s ahead of a proven first teamer

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2022 06:53

Nameless
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal That would be madness

Joao had a pretty iffy injury record last season and Azeez seemed to stumble from one injury to another so not sure Meite’s injury would be a cause to not pick your best team. Of course if one of them is still feeling less than 100% itmight be a factor, but Meite played and scored on Saturday....
In terms of assurances all a manager can do is tell players they will get opportunities. No way would you tell an unproven 21 year old he’s ahead of a proven first teamer

Exactly. A couple of duff performances from a relatively untested 21 year old while Meite is on the bench and the fans quickly start questioning your competency.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 04 Jul 2022 07:44

Identifying players will be down to any of my staff," the Welshman told Berkshire Live. "They might get a call from an agent, another player or even the player himself.

Amazing we've hired a director of football and head of recruitment just to answer the phone when players ring asking to play for us.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jul 2022 08:30

Simon's Church
Identifying players will be down to any of my staff," the Welshman told Berkshire Live. "They might get a call from an agent, another player or even the player himself.

Amazing we've hired a director of football and head of recruitment just to answer the phone when players ring asking to play for us.

With hundreds of players without clubs you can bet players and agents absolutely are ringing round selling their services....

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 04 Jul 2022 08:39

Nameless
Simon's Church

With hundreds of players without clubs you can bet players and agents absolutely are ringing round selling their services....

Yep I'm sure there are, just not sure many well run clubs use that as their method of identifying targets

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Jul 2022 08:41

Wonder if Shane Long will have a coaching role at the club? You'd like to think his experience will be tapped in to even if it's just working with the younger strikers at the club.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jul 2022 08:44

Zip
NathStPaul
Zip

If Long joins Clarke and Hoilett both stay then we start looking a bit heavy on numbers

I'd prefer Long over Clarke personally just because of the experience, but ideally I'd like both around, no reason as to why we can't have another option with Clarke who can be involved with the first team, U23's or potentially go out on loan in January if game time isn't right. He's still a teenager with very limited experience, would seem a bit daft to be making any assurances about his game time right now.

Having Joao, Meite, Long and Clarke available as 4 forwards is good, particularly when you would expect we'd be chasing games a lot of the time considering most are expecting us to be near the bottom again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jul 2022 08:45

Simon's Church
Nameless
Simon's Church

Yep I'm sure there are, just not sure many well run clubs use that as their method of identifying targets

I’m sure they do. It’s basically the agents job. Doesn’t mean the recruitment team aren’t aware of who is available or would make the call the other way if there was a player they particularly wanted

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jul 2022 08:51

Simon's Church
Nameless
Simon's Church

No, but I bet there also aren’t any who refuse to take incoming calls.
Bowen doesn’t even suggest it’s our only approach, just that it’s one that he has covered (by a member of his staff, not him).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2022 08:53

Zip
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Agree but that will be based on them all staying injury free. I’d have thought that they would have given Azeez some assurances about playing first team football which is why he has signed a new contract. But that’s just my opinion.

I would doubt he has any assurances this season. But with Ince in his 30s and Meite ooc next year, it would be easy to try to sell to him on being the built in replacement for transition.

And, of course, for all we know PInce doesn’t view Meite as a wide player and Azeez is second choice... although I don't think that would be good management of Meite.

I cannot see Azeez going out on loan. Don’t forget five subs will be allowed next season. He will be on the bench and likely to be brought on regularly.

Anyone talking of loan talk for Azeez needs to give their head a wobble.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jul 2022 09:06

Hound
Simon's Church
Nameless

I’m sure they do. It’s basically the agents job. Doesn’t mean the recruitment team aren’t aware of who is available or would make the call the other way if there was a player they particularly wanted

Yeah I doubt it's call centre where you're just trying to sell a warranty. Agents will always be on the phone to clubs at this time of year, particularly when many players are becoming free agents now as well. I can imagine it is common amongst most clubs.

1554 posts