1554 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 12:37

Stranded
Zip
paultheroyal Long update:

We are miles apart in wage demands. He would love to come home but he can get 3 times as much from other teams circling and it’s more than QPR who are now in the mix.

Prepare yourselves for disappointment. I think that ship has well and truly sailed.

Genuine post and comment from me coming from a strong source.

It’s a real concern that we are going to miss out on a number of players we are being linked with. This does not surprise me. If League One sides are also outbidding us then we are going to have to rely on loan deals. If he can earn three times as much elsewhere we have no chance.

We have absolutely nothing to suggest we are being outbid for any players from L1. If you mean Cadden, there isn't even anything to suggest we were in for him bar one tweet.

If we weren't, we probably should have been.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 12:39

NathStPaul
Stranded
Zip

It’s a real concern that we are going to miss out on a number of players we are being linked with. This does not surprise me. If League One sides are also outbidding us then we are going to have to rely on loan deals. If he can earn three times as much elsewhere we have no chance.

We have absolutely nothing to suggest we are being outbid for any players from L1. If you mean Cadden, there isn't even anything to suggest we were in for him bar one tweet.

Would also say that even if we were it wouldn't have been a case of being outbid as such, just not paying over the odds. If Barnsely want to blow their budget on a League 2 left back then that is their bad luck.

Well quite - we may well say Player A is worth 5k pw - this could even double his wages - but if another club are willing to pay 6k then we have a simple decision, do we think he is worth the extra 52k annually or do we wave them off into the sunset.

On an individual case not a big deal as such but if you overpay 1 or 2k per week, for 10 players then it soon starts to add up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 12:41

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Zip

Maybe - I know very little about him bar he had a decent year last year. Would he be the best fit at LB - are we looking for a more defensively minded LB or more of a LWB? If the former, then we absolutely shouldn't have been in for him - if the latter, then we should have.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 12:45

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Maybe - I know very little about him bar he had a decent year last year. Would he be the best fit at LB - are we looking for a more defensively minded LB or more of a LWB? If the former, then we absolutely shouldn't have been in for him - if the latter, then we should have.

Me either really. I wouldn't be too confident he could step up to this level though yet anyway coming from League Two either, so may be a blessing in disguise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 12:46

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

On the basis we're going to struggle to replace Swift's goals and assists in midfield with the money we have, I'd have thought a relatively cheap rampaging LB would be a great opportunity.

Solid central midfielders to cover are going to be easier to find than ones who get 10 goals and 10 assists.

Given Yiadom is heavily focused on attack, it would give some balance, and perhaps allow for YR's much loved 3-5-2/3-4-3

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 12:48

And we need 2 anyway. So you could also look at someone older and more stolid.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 12:54

I think it's safe to say Bowen's left back being sorted 'early next week' hasn’t happened.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal If we weren't, we probably should have been.

On the basis we're going to struggle to replace Swift's goals and assists in midfield with the money we have, I'd have thought a relatively cheap rampaging LB would be a great opportunity.

Solid central midfielders to cover are going to be easier to find than ones who get 10 goals and 10 assists.

Given Yiadom is heavily focused on attack, it would give some balance, and perhaps allow for YR's much loved 3-5-2/3-4-3

Yep agree.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Jul 2022 13:45

Snowflake Royal I think it's safe to say Bowen's left back being sorted 'early next week' hasn’t happened.

Puscas converted ?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 06 Jul 2022 13:47

Snowflake Royal I think it's safe to say Bowen's left back being sorted 'early next week' hasn’t happened.

Hoilett LWB, done.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 13:50

Stranded
Zip
paultheroyal Long update:

We are miles apart in wage demands. He would love to come home but he can get 3 times as much from other teams circling and it’s more than QPR who are now in the mix.

Prepare yourselves for disappointment. I think that ship has well and truly sailed.

Genuine post and comment from me coming from a strong source.

I thought he played in the friendly at the weekend. Bowen had also suggested we we’re likely to be signing a left back early this week.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 13:55

Snowflake Royal And we need 2 anyway. So you could also look at someone older and more stolid.

I would have had him as our second choice for sure, I just wouldn't be too confident given where he has recently played (as in what level), granted he did do well. Then again, I haven't seen/heard a great deal about him either.

Hopefully we can get someone in this week. 2 weeks on Saturday the season starts so we should be hoping that the bulk of our starting 11 can get a good couple of weeks training together before we start at Blackpool.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 13:57

Zip
Stranded
Zip

I thought he played in the friendly at the weekend. Bowen had also suggested we we’re likely to be signing a left back early this week.

Only one person on here claimed he did. The only LB that we can be relatively confident played was Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill and even that is guess work by a couple of people based on a couple of photos.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jul 2022 13:59

It should be BOO, not my abbreviation but it’s a good one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2022 14:00

Stranded
Zip
Stranded

Only one person on here claimed he did. The only LB that we can be relatively confident played was Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill and even that is guess work by a couple of people based on a couple of photos.

As is so often the case, a falsehood has gone round and been presumed true... why would anyone claim he'd played in the friendly unless they knew... why would you doubt someone saying that.

Hi ho.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 14:05

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Zip

As is so often the case, a falsehood has gone round and been presumed true... why would anyone claim he'd played in the friendly unless they knew... why would you doubt someone saying that.

Hi ho.

We don’t know it’s a falsehood. He may have taken part in the friendly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2022 14:18

Making some huge assumptions here but might be how we line up ina months time

Lumley
Yiadom Sarr Holmes BOO
Meite Hendrick Shackleton Ejaria
Ince
Joao

Bouzanis, Puscas, Tetek, Hoilett, Dann, McIntyre, wickham, Luongo, K Ehib

Camara, Southwood etc in reserve

Not too terrible

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jul 2022 14:23

Hound Making some huge assumptions here but might be how we line up ina months time

Lumley
Yiadom Sarr Holmes BOO
Ince
Joao

Not too terrible

Should be able to survive minimum with that team really, I'd say it's better than Rotherham, Wigan and at least one of Birmingham, Blackpool, Bristol City, Preston, Cardiff and Hull (just naming clubs that were either down there last season or expected to be down there this season).

As Ian mentioned, would think maybe a 3-4-3 with Ince making way for McIntyre may balance that particular team better.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jul 2022 14:24

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Hi ho.

We don’t know it’s a falsehood. He may have taken part in the friendly.

He may have done but there is no proof - from various reliable sources i.e. press and detective work from photos we know/can be fairly sure that Luongo, B O-O and Wickham appeared. We have nothing on any others playing and 4 days later, I would be really surprised if not 1 journalist esp JLow with his new contacts at the club would have reported Cadden playing.

It may not be a falsehood but the overwhelming evidence, circumstantial it may well be, point to him having been nowhere near the pitch at Bearwood at the weekend.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2022 14:24

Hound Making some huge assumptions here but might be how we line up ina months time

Lumley
Yiadom Sarr Holmes BOO
Ince
Joao

Not too terrible

:lol: There are a lot of assumptions with those six signings. I would be surprised if Puscas stayed.

1554 posts