Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Hendo » 29 Jun 2022 08:03

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? It's not me who doesn't think Southwood isn't very good, it's the club. Id trust their judgement over anyone's on here. I just don't see any point in hanging on to someone who's clearly surplus to requirememts whilst we can still potentially get something for him. We replaced him twice last season with loanees and short term contracts, he's 25 in December and his career is going nowhere and apparently he's on half what CBC is on.

The club's track record is excellent isn’t it.

There is a totally new structure in place at the club now though - lets give it a chance, eh?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 08:05

Zip
royalp-we Not yet, Puscas returns next week along with Southwood, Abrefa, CBC, Clarke and Hoillett(?) who were all away on international duties.

Yiadom returned last week out of choice apparently. Says a lot about the man.

Thanks for clarifying. Is Southwood due back because I am not aware we triggered the one year extension to his contract that expires this week?

Yes, otherwise he'd be listed in the players leaving, and not told he can find another club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2022 08:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip
royalp-we Not yet, Puscas returns next week along with Southwood, Abrefa, CBC, Clarke and Hoillett(?) who were all away on international duties.

Yiadom returned last week out of choice apparently. Says a lot about the man.

Thanks for clarifying. Is Southwood due back because I am not aware we triggered the one year extension to his contract that expires this week?

Yes, otherwise he'd be listed in the players leaving, and not told he can find another club.

We took the option to extend Southwood last summer, at least that gives the chance to get some form of fee for him if we choose.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 08:49

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? It's not me who doesn't think Southwood isn't very good, it's the club. Id trust their judgement over anyone's on here. I just don't see any point in hanging on to someone who's clearly surplus to requirememts whilst we can still potentially get something for him. We replaced him twice last season with loanees and short term contracts, he's 25 in December and his career is going nowhere and apparently he's on half what CBC is on.

Writing them off before they've even had much of an opportunity to start?

My expectations are low for the new season, but I have confidence that, with our current structure, we can field a competitive squad by the time the window closes. Yes, a fair chunk of our season will have gone, but sometimes that's the nature of the transfer market.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jun 2022 08:56

Anybody worried that August is packed with fixtures we would normally consider favourable? Our squad at the moment is simply not up to Championship football, and given we're at the bottom of the food chain we may well be scrambling around for the loans and cast offs that haven't worked out for other clubs. Ever since the embargo, this is how our windows have worked.

It's all very well saying "wait and see what the squad looks like", but if we're already sitting on 3 points from 7 games with tougher fixtures to come, it's looking bleak.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2022 09:01

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

My expectations are low for the new season, but I have confidence that, with our current structure, we can field a competitive squad by the time the window closes. Yes, a fair chunk of our season will have gone, but sometimes that's the nature of the transfer market.

Every time we have had a change in approach in recent years it has failed so why should it be any different now? The current approach appears to be ringing up old mates of the coaching staff to bring them in and giving Connor Wickham another look. Until the new regime can prove themselves supporters are rightly going to be pessimistic.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2022 09:02

WestYorksRoyal Anybody worried that August is packed with fixtures we would normally consider favourable? Our squad at the moment is simply not up to Championship football, and given we're at the bottom of the food chain we may well be scrambling around for the loans and cast offs that haven't worked out for other clubs. Ever since the embargo, this is how our windows have worked.

It's all very well saying "wait and see what the squad looks like", but if we're already sitting on 3 points from 7 games with tougher fixtures to come, it's looking bleak.

Yep but we have no choice, we can't do anything about it so worrying about it seems pointless.

Deals will just come out of the blue, like the Bouzandis deal. It'll be what it'll be come end of next month. Loans will start picking up in the next week - probably something of nothing but Noel Hunt has liked a tweet about Omari Hutchinson in the last day or so, so could be a sign that a deal there is on it's way.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 09:31

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal The club's track record is excellent isn’t it.

Every time we have had a change in approach in recent years it has failed so why should it be any different now? The current approach appears to be ringing up old mates of the coaching staff to bring them in and giving Connor Wickham another look. Until the new regime can prove themselves supporters are rightly going to be pessimistic.

I can understand the pessimism, but that's different to outright writing people off.

Did our approach, up until our embargo last season, really changed all that much though? The target was always overspend for promotion, whilst holding onto our assets that we couldn't sustainably keep (Moore, Swift etc) and that was true until the end of Pauno's first season in charge where we just made one last attempt for promotion which was all in vein.

I think the club have accepted a change in strategy since the beginning of last season due to our situation. Last season was dire, but I think most accepted that would be the case and ultimately we did survive, which in fairness to the board they did say that was the main priority early doors and they did expect a difficult season.

retro royal

by retro royal » 29 Jun 2022 09:55

EFL have totally screwed what we can do, yes board screwed up but we should still be able to spend some of money on fees received, I thought you had to put a competitive side out, looks like we won't be.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2022 09:55

We knew the rules, they are quite clear. We did it to ourselves.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jun 2022 09:57

Relegation looks likely in my view, though obviously a ball has not been kicked yet and it can still be avoided if the club pulls together.

At least if we go down this year, it will be post embargo and Moore's contract will have expired. Relegation last year would have been a disaster.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 09:58

retro royal EFL have totally screwed what we can do, yes board screwed up but we should still be able to spend some of money on fees received, I thought you had to put a competitive side out, looks like we won't be.

They may just want us to be compliant with P&S/FFP regulations and by not being able to spend anything, it gives us a better chance of doing that whilst meeting to our agreed Business Plan and it may also help us with some transfers, as any transfer with a fee would have to be approved by the EFL and may take longer to resolve i.e. we want to pay £500k for a player but then the EFL have to look at our accounts, if we are on forecast to pass the regulations/Business Plan etc which may delay transfers even further, leading to players/agents going elsewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jun 2022 10:52

YorkshireRoyal99
retro royal EFL have totally screwed what we can do, yes board screwed up but we should still be able to spend some of money on fees received, I thought you had to put a competitive side out, looks like we won't be.

They may just want us to be compliant with P&S/FFP regulations and by not being able to spend anything, it gives us a better chance of doing that whilst meeting to our agreed Business Plan and it may also help us with some transfers, as any transfer with a fee would have to be approved by the EFL and may take longer to resolve i.e. we want to pay £500k for a player but then the EFL have to look at our accounts, if we are on forecast to pass the regulations/Business Plan etc which may delay transfers even further, leading to players/agents going elsewhere.

Still no evidence we can’t spend money….
Absolutely no reason why getting EFL sign off would add significant delay. They monitor our position regularly, it would be very obvious if we have room in the business plan allowing us to reinvest.
If we don’t have that room then it’s a fair call but we are clearly operating to the plan and it doesn’t appear to be reliant on player sales.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 10:55

WestYorksRoyal Anybody worried that August is packed with fixtures we would normally consider favourable? Our squad at the moment is simply not up to Championship football, and given we're at the bottom of the food chain we may well be scrambling around for the loans and cast offs that haven't worked out for other clubs. Ever since the embargo, this is how our windows have worked.

Yep.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jun 2022 11:05

NathStPaul We knew the rules, they are quite clear. We did it to ourselves.

Rules 'might' have been quite clear but I doubt that can be said regarding the nature and type of sanctions that would be imposed. It's claimed FFP is about protecting the financial security of clubs. If that is true, then it clearly isn't fit for purpose. Forcing clubs to let their most valuable assets go for free, forbidding the reinvestment in the squad of any money taken from player sales, and leaving clubs with such weakened squads that they end up at high risk of relegation all works against securing their financial security.

To me it seems that FFP is far more about protecting the big clubs and the status quo from newly rich upstarts and maintaining the ludicrously uneven playing field that allows clubs relegated from the PL to spend beyond their true means (courtesy of parachute payments) ensuring the swift return of most of them to the top level.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jun 2022 11:09

Snowflake Royal

Yep.

I have read comments on here about having 2 months to sign players, which is true, but in my opinion we need to have most of our business done before we play West Ham and Brighton.

More than ever we need the team to gel very quickly and to be very fit. Of course any business that can enhance the squad late in the window is welcome but it should really be no more than a couple of signings. I am confident we can bulk up the squad but it remains to be seen if they are going to be good enough.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2022 11:11

RoyalBlue

Rules 'might' have been quite clear but I doubt that can be said regarding the nature and type of sanctions that would be imposed. It's claimed FFP is about protecting the financial security of clubs. If that is true, then it clearly isn't fit for purpose. Forcing clubs to let their most valuable assets go for free, forbidding the reinvestment in the squad of any money taken from player sales, and leaving clubs with such weakened squads that they end up at high risk of relegation all works against securing their financial security.

To me it seems that FFP is far more about protecting the big clubs and the status quo from newly rich upstarts and maintaining the ludicrously uneven playing field that allows clubs relegated from the PL to spend beyond their true means (courtesy of parachute payments) ensuring the swift return of most of them to the top level.

But if you don't break the rules then you cannot be punished for anything. I get your point, the sanctions are harsh, but we chanced our arm and are now paying the price. We didn't just break the rules either, we obliterated them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 11:24

I don't even think they're harsh.

We knew there was a problem for years with the FL intervening somewhat and we still smashed it.

The rules aren't fit for purpose. But that just means they need to be stronger, harsher and more proactive.

Forcing all transactions to be transparent and go through an independent third party for example.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 11:30

NathStPaul
RoyalBlue

Rules 'might' have been quite clear but I doubt that can be said regarding the nature and type of sanctions that would be imposed. It's claimed FFP is about protecting the in financial security of clubs. If that is true, then it clearly isn't fit for purpose. Forcing clubs to let their most valuable assets go for free, forbidding the reinvestment in the squad of any money taken from player sales, and leaving clubs with such weakened squads that they end up at high risk of relegation all works against securing their financial security.

But if you don't break the rules then you cannot be punished for anything. I get your point, the sanctions are harsh, but we chanced our arm and are now paying the price. We didn't just break the rules either, we obliterated them.

I think the ‘rules’ were clear enough but the ‘punishments’ do seem a grey area. Am slightly surprised at how harsh our business plan is but guess we’ll have to live with it

And it has at least forced us to stop some of the silly strategies we were following

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jun 2022 11:35

Snowflake Royal I don't even think they're harsh.

We knew there was a problem for years with the FL intervening somewhat and we still smashed it.

The rules aren't fit for purpose. But that just means they need to be stronger, harsher and more proactive.

Forcing all transactions to be transparent and go through an independent third party for example.

+1 In the long run it could help to save our club. If we can get back on an even keel it might even make us more attractive to potential new owners.

1554 posts