Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2022 14:46

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Think it's pretty clear that what I expect is us to target our priorities and use our resources as efficiently as possible. And not scapegoat or ignore decent young players.

I'd be perfectly happy to accept the club doing things differently and trust them if they had any record of getting it right. Rather than a record of getting it consistently wrong.

There is no evidence to suggest we are ignoring decent young players though. We are using our resources efficiently, we had 0 goalkeepers at the level the staff believed were good enough, so we have sorted that out now hopefully. We had numbers, but not quality at this moment in time.

The club now seem to be operating differently in the market though, based on who we have signed and who we have been linked with, which is surely a positive as we are looking to change our approach which has consistently been wrong. If this change still doesn't work, then fair enough, but you can't really judge without at least giving the recruitment team we have now an opportunity to rectify the issues.

:| Southwood and Andresson.

As mentioned below really. Southwood isn't as good as what is being made out to be by some anyway, if he was he wouldn't have lost his place and be deemed surplus to requirements. He can leave and if we can get a good sell on % or buy back price, that would represent a good deal for us.

I would much rather have Andresson go out on loan and get another 40+ games hopefully at L1 level and then we can see from there. Similar with CBC, potentially go out and get 40+ games in the league somewhere else and evaluate come the end of the season. It's not "overlooking" these players, it's just not considering those who perhaps are not ready to be thrown into our situation, which I'm happy with.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2022 14:52

Wasn’t Jokull dropped by morecambe last year?

Not saying he won’t be good enough in time but if I’m remembering rightly that’s not really suggesting he is ready to be back up for us

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2022 14:59

The other thing to consider is that in a year's time, of the 5 keeper's we currently have, Lumley and Southwood won't be here. I see Bouzanis as a bit of an insurance policy. He'll be happy as backup and gives us more scope to loan out Andresson and CBC.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 28 Jun 2022 16:36

9165 Lads
You seemed to have forgotten most contracts run intil June 30th so I am sure the powers-that-be have some irons in the fire for Thursday.
It is very true we need a LB and some midfielders, but watch this space!

This exactly!! If in ten days time we still haven't progressed on the midfield or Left Back front then yes, maybe time to start asking questions.
Somebody mentioned it earlier, we have a very experience core of Management and Coaching staff, let them do there job.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jun 2022 17:03

Crowbar6753
9165 Lads
You seemed to have forgotten most contracts run intil June 30th so I am sure the powers-that-be have some irons in the fire for Thursday.
It is very true we need a LB and some midfielders, but watch this space!

This exactly!! If in ten days time we still haven't progressed on the midfield or Left Back front then yes, maybe time to start asking questions.
Somebody mentioned it earlier, we have a very experience core of Management and Coaching staff, let them do there job.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 17:03

From Despair To Where? The other thing to consider is that in a year's time, of the 5 keeper's we currently have, Lumley and Southwood won't be here. I see Bouzanis as a bit of an insurance policy. He'll be happy as backup and gives us more scope to loan out Andresson and CBC.

CBC's contract runs out next year right? Why would he bother staying with us, particularly if we get relegated? We've given him no path to first team football thus far and have shown him how we treat breakthrough goalkeepers if they make mistakes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 17:06

On the whole "contracts run out on June 30th" thing that doesn't matter does it? Our entire midfields contracts were due to run out on June 30th and they signed for new clubs already.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2022 17:28

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where? The other thing to consider is that in a year's time, of the 5 keeper's we currently have, Lumley and Southwood won't be here. I see Bouzanis as a bit of an insurance policy. He'll be happy as backup and gives us more scope to loan out Andresson and CBC.

CBC's contract runs out next year right? Why would he bother staying with us, particularly if we get relegated? We've given him no path to first team football thus far and have shown him how we treat breakthrough goalkeepers if they make mistakes.

Because he's 19 and if he gets a decent loan under his belt has a chance of being 1st choice at 20.

At 20, Southwood was 3 years away from making his 1st team debut. I don't think the club have ever been sold on him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 17:34

From Despair To Where?
NewCorkSeth

Because he's 19 and if he gets a decent loan under his belt has a chance of being 1st choice at 20.

At 20, Sothwood was 3 years away from making his 1st team debut.

Right, but Andresson is 21, been out on loan for the last 2 seasons and has just had 2 keepers brought in ahead of him. Hardly paints a picture of faith in the academy. If I was them I'd be thinking of jumping ship.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jun 2022 17:41

NewCorkSeth On the whole "contracts run out on June 30th" thing that doesn't matter does it? Our entire midfields contracts were due to run out on June 30th and they signed for new clubs already.

Presumably because they received a deal that was acceptable to them and signed on.

We know we can only afford to pay x amount so players we are negotiating with might well be sitting back to see if anything better comes along. It's an utter shitshow but its where we've put ourselves. We can't simply give a player what they want or what they think they will get elsewhere to secure the deal.

In most negotiations we're going to be the last resort for most of our targets.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 17:44

Vision
NewCorkSeth On the whole "contracts run out on June 30th" thing that doesn't matter does it? Our entire midfields contracts were due to run out on June 30th and they signed for new clubs already.

Presumably because they received a deal that was acceptable to them and signed on.

We know we can only afford to pay x amount so players we are negotiating with might well be sitting back to see if anything better comes along. It's an utter shitshow but its where we've put ourselves. We can't simply give a player what they want or what they think they will get elsewhere to secure the deal.

Sorry, I kinda mean that. No-one who has been offered a deal by their current club or another Championship club is likely to sign for us realistically. So the fact the contract end date is still in the future isn't particularly relevant for us. We can't compete right now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2022 17:48

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
There is no evidence to suggest we are ignoring decent young players though. We are using our resources efficiently, we had 0 goalkeepers at the level the staff believed were good enough, so we have sorted that out now hopefully. We had numbers, but not quality at this moment in time.

The club now seem to be operating differently in the market though, based on who we have signed and who we have been linked with, which is surely a positive as we are looking to change our approach which has consistently been wrong. If this change still doesn't work, then fair enough, but you can't really judge without at least giving the recruitment team we have now an opportunity to rectify the issues.

:| Southwood and Andresson.

Southwood has been deemed not good enough by the staff and thus has been told he can leave - should be excluded from conversations currently as he doesn't feature in first team plans. Whether that is right or wrong, that is the decision which has been made and someone needed to be bought in to replace him.

Andresson may be good enough, but he is a young kid who hasn't played above League 1 yet - Virginia was the 'keeper last time we played someone that young in goal and look how that turned out. I'd much rather a 31 year old play in goal over a 20 year old who has similar experience.

I'd be much more comfortable Andresson going out on loan to another L1 club, getting another years experience under his belt in a better position the following season.

Thanks, but I can disagree with the plan.

Virginia was two years younger and had no professional senior appearances :|

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2022 17:48

We've had a Brazilian international signed from Serie A as first choice keeper for the last 2 years and Andresson's been out on loan 2 divisions higher than Southwood was at the same age. He's also got 2 years left on his contract t so the certainly had enough faith in him to offer him a 3 year contract. Again something Southwood has never got.

Lumley has experience in this league, Bouzanis is insurance which allows us to send Andresson and Boyce-Clarke out on loan to gain more experience.

What I see is the club bringing in 2 experienced keeper's for what is going to be a very tricky season, one which could be toxic for a young keeper's career.

Southwood clearly isn't considered good enough so it makes sense to move him on now whilst we can possibly still dictate some terms, be it a fee or a sell on.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jun 2022 17:51

NewCorkSeth
Vision

Sorry, I kinda mean that. No-one who has been offered a deal by their current club or another Championship club is likely to sign for us realistically. So the fact the contract end date is still in the future isn't particularly relevant for us. We can't compete right now.

'greed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2022 17:55

Vision
NewCorkSeth
Vision

'greed.

Agreed.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 18:02

I'm simply trying to state that both our young GK prospects have deals expiring in 1 year, neither have been offered any first team football for the club and neither will this coming season. Arguing about the effectiveness of bringing in a new first team keeper and a decent backup as insurance in regards to their development is, imo, nonsense as by only offering them football out on loan is unlikely to convince either of them to sign a new contract.

Now I'm not saying either is ready to start nor that the decision to bring in a new first team keeper is foolish (I happen to think that but its not important for this point) just that any arguments in favour of our recent signings that mention it giving our youngsters a good opportunity for a loan is silly. They won't stay.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2022 18:10

Andresson's contract runs til 2024.

The whole point is that going out on loan will offer them more in terms of development than getting 1st team football here this coming season. If the club can sell them a path to 1st team football from 2023 and beyond, there is every chance they will stay.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 18:11

From Despair To Where? Andresson's contract runs til 2024.

The whole point is that going out on loan will offer them more in terms of development than getting 1st team football here this coming season. If the club can sell them a path to 1st team football from 2023 and beyond, there is every chance they will stay.

Ah, well, then I suspect Andresson will stay beyond next summer... provided he's not sold..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2022 18:20

NewCorkSeth

Ah, well, then I suspect Andresson will stay beyond next summer... provided he's not sold..

Although having watched Southwood get scapegoated and told to go whilst we sign two other keepers having brought in 3 others recently, two of which were outright failures, rather than back him probably isn't going to encourage Jokull that he'll actually get that chance.

Whether that's a fair representation is largely immaterial, its an easy interpretation of the situation to reach.

And it requires Andresson to go on loan and Southwood to actually leave to be justified.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2022 18:22

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Although having watched Southwood get scapegoated and told to go whilst we sign two other keepers having brought in 3 others recently, two of which were outright failures, rather than back him probably isn't going to encourage Jokull that he'll actually get that chance.

Whether that's a fair representation is largely immaterial, its an easy interpretation of the situation to reach.

And it requires Andresson to go on loan and Southwood to actually leave to be justified.

Well thats how I feel.

1554 posts