MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

300 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by Zip » 30 Jul 2022 21:05

YorkshireRoyal99 Just got back from the game, disappointing all around really. Not enough up front and our midfield was being bypassed yet again in the opening half. NGW struggled up against Bowler all afternoon who caused him issues and we didn't start quickly enough, poor goal to give away as well really.

There's a serious lack of creativity in the side really now and not one player ever looked like scoring. Poor decision making in and around the penalty box and a lack of a ruthless in front of goal. We probably should have drawn, but it was a pretty poor game in all honesty. Meite and Hoilett definitely should be doing better with those chances, at least one has to go away. Wasted the (generally little) that we created and it was a sloppy goal to give away. Nobody really stood out either for us. Fiorini was the best player on the pitch as well today, Bowler caused a lot of issues and Williams and Ekpiteta dealt with most things thrown at him, granted not much.

P.Ince takes some blame as well here. Had some impetuous in the game after about 60 minutes and, even though we didn't have much on the bench at all, Long had to come on sooner. He started warming up on about 73 minutes and it took us 10 minutes from that point and even when he did come on he came on the left. Should have switched it up to a 4-4-2 at that point and stretched the defence more. Hopefully Loum and Sarr can come in and give some more depth to the team and quality as well as Omari Hutchsinson (if we get him) to provide us with more creative quality.

Interesting comments. I really hope we get another left back in as I don’t think Guinness-Walker is close to good enough on the defensive side of his game. We also need another ten. We haven’t replaced Swift.

I do think we will be a fitter side this season but one that struggles to create.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 21:09

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 Just got back from the game, disappointing all around really. Not enough up front and our midfield was being bypassed yet again in the opening half. NGW struggled up against Bowler all afternoon who caused him issues and we didn't start quickly enough, poor goal to give away as well really.

There's a serious lack of creativity in the side really now and not one player ever looked like scoring. Poor decision making in and around the penalty box and a lack of a ruthless in front of goal. We probably should have drawn, but it was a pretty poor game in all honesty. Meite and Hoilett definitely should be doing better with those chances, at least one has to go away. Wasted the (generally little) that we created and it was a sloppy goal to give away. Nobody really stood out either for us. Fiorini was the best player on the pitch as well today, Bowler caused a lot of issues and Williams and Ekpiteta dealt with most things thrown at him, granted not much.

P.Ince takes some blame as well here. Had some impetuous in the game after about 60 minutes and, even though we didn't have much on the bench at all, Long had to come on sooner. He started warming up on about 73 minutes and it took us 10 minutes from that point and even when he did come on he came on the left. Should have switched it up to a 4-4-2 at that point and stretched the defence more. Hopefully Loum and Sarr can come in and give some more depth to the team and quality as well as Omari Hutchsinson (if we get him) to provide us with more creative quality.

Interesting comments. I really hope we get another left back in as I don’t think Guinness-Walker is close to good enough on the defensive side of his game. We also need another ten. We haven’t replaced Swift.

I do think we will be a fitter side this season but one that struggles to create.

I mean, I just trashed him but Ejaria is a 10.. Hendrick is too at heart.

Where is Tetek??

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Jul 2022 21:13

NewCorkSeth
Zip

Where is Tetek??

Tetek appears to be injured again.
Agree Ovie is a ten but we need another. Not convinced Hendrick is.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 21:18

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Where is Tetek??

I'm not convinced he's the box to box midfielder he wants to be. His best season at Burnley was as a 10.. a non scoring, non assisting 10 but a 10 nonetheless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 21:18

Vision
Snowflake Royal
Vision
Pretty much the only opportunity we actually created was when he, for once, went outside his man and put a good ball across the box which Meite and then Hoilett failed to convert.

He was dreadful for the first 25 minutes or so but after that I can totally see how he would feature as one of our better players.

I also can’t help but think that if Ejaria had delivered the consistently poor final balls that Hoilett and Ince did in the second half he’d be getting pelters on here because when it comes down to it all 3 are incredibly inconsistent in that department .

They at least consistently attempt to deliver balls in, and both play at the right tempo.

Absolutely stunning ball across the goal by Meite that Ejaria watched whistle through rather than be in position to tuck away.

You mean where Ejaria dropped for the pull back and it got delivered across the box . The same as he did when Hoilett got free and lobbed the ball tamely into the keepers hands.

It seems to happen a lot to us that supposedly good balls are delivered where nobody has made a run .

I mean we finally have someone who can take a reasonably long throw and basically rule 1 for that is it’s a near post flick for someone to come in at the far post . Near post flick was won and nobody was coming in on it .

Don’t know if it’s the players who are not clued up or the coaching staff but for some reason that infuriated me more than pretty much anything else in the game .

Yes, we often seem to play the ball into a good area where no one has gone. Ideally we need to spot the areas the player is to target and to make the right runs.

You'd think the likes of Meite, Ejaria, Hoilett and Ince should know each other's game well enough by now to get it right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 21:22

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Where is Tetek??

I fancy Ince as 10. Driving runs, pace, technique. He's got what it takes imo.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 30 Jul 2022 21:23

The only thing I fear this season is Paul Ince. Today, and the latter part of last season, showed that inept attitude of a good manager.

Saying that, it is only the 1st game. We have a much healthier squad than last season, with most new signings that look exciting, it is how the manager puts this on the field of play. Unfortunately, I don't think he is up to scratch.

Proove me wrong. I hope he pulls it off though.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jul 2022 21:25

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Snowflake Royal They at least consistently attempt to deliver balls in, and both play at the right tempo.

Absolutely stunning ball across the goal by Meite that Ejaria watched whistle through rather than be in position to tuck away.

You mean where Ejaria dropped for the pull back and it got delivered across the box . The same as he did when Hoilett got free and lobbed the ball tamely into the keepers hands.

It seems to happen a lot to us that supposedly good balls are delivered where nobody has made a run .

I mean we finally have someone who can take a reasonably long throw and basically rule 1 for that is it’s a near post flick for someone to come in at the far post . Near post flick was won and nobody was coming in on it .

Don’t know if it’s the players who are not clued up or the coaching staff but for some reason that infuriated me more than pretty much anything else in the game .

Yes, we often seem to play the ball into a good area where no one has gone. Ideally we need to spot the areas the player is to target and to make the right runs.

You'd think the likes of Meite, Ejaria, Hoilett and Ince should know each other's game well enough by now to get it right.

Two or three occasions where that happened today. We never had enough numbers in the box at a time where we were on top though.

I remember after around 65 minutes we had it on the right in a good area and they were looking a bit stretched and all we had in the box at the time was Meite with both Ejaria and Ince looking for it on the egde.

A few minutes after that P.Ince was jumping up and down on the touchline after Meite slid a ball across the 6 yard line for their full back to have time and space to get it under control and clear. That was the time we needed Long, where we could go and have another body in the box who would nick a goal and then suddenly we can go for the win.

Particularly when we have 5 subs and when we made our first, it's frustrating we didn't change our shape and bring on someone like Clarke, just another forward to go and cause as much chaos in the Blackpool defence, nothing to lose at that point. I can fully understand a reluctance to use youngsters, but not in a game where you're chasing a goal.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Jul 2022 21:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth I mean, I just trashed him but Ejaria is a 10.. Hendrick is too at heart.

Where is Tetek??

Hmmmm can Ince make that clever, incisive pass to split open a defence?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jul 2022 21:30

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

No but his decision making might be a bit better than the others. Ejaria overhit a couple of passes in decent areas or made the wrong decision and Hendrick had one in the first half where he slipped Meite through, when I thought the better choice would have been to take a shot on from 20 (or so) yards.

Ince has a decent strike on him so you'd expect would contribute with goals from that area and being direct in the middle of the pitch, if the space opens up, would be a good option to have. He tried playing that way a bit today, but Blackpool closed the middle of the pitch quite well, so we needed to stretch the game more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 21:34

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 21:43

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth I mean, I just trashed him but Ejaria is a 10.. Hendrick is too at heart.

Where is Tetek??

You think? Unless I am misremembering last season that more describes Hoillett? Neither can cross for shit but make them run at a defender and they thrive. Well. Thrive is relative..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 21:45

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip
Snowflake Royal I fancy Ince as 10. Driving runs, pace, technique. He's got what it takes imo.

No but his decision making might be a bit better than the others. Ejaria overhit a couple of passes in decent areas or made the wrong decision and Hendrick had one in the first half where he slipped Meite through, when I thought the better choice would have been to take a shot on from 20 (or so) yards.

Ince has a decent strike on him so you'd expect would contribute with goals from that area and being direct in the middle of the pitch, if the space opens up, would be a good option to have. He tried playing that way a bit today, but Blackpool closed the middle of the pitch quite well, so we needed to stretch the game more.

Harsh on Hendrick. He made that pass because Meite told him to and a good playmaker trusts their striker. If I had a CM who chose to shoot from 20 yards instead of play the ball through to a striker (which Hendrick did very nicely I might add) I would not be thrilled.

It wasn't Hendricks fault Meite fluffed it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 21:50

Feel like it's not a game without at least some ratings.

Lumley - 7 no worrying moments, lucky with one off the post and a good save followed by I thought he could maybe do better with the goal. Claimed crosses well.
Yiadom - 8 led really well and once released in the second half helped us get forward
Holmes - 7 read the danger well
McIntyre - 7 same
Hoilett - 7 some nice stuff but not enough end product
NGW - 6 two unfortunate slips that could have been costly but weren’t, thought he did ok
Hendrick - 6.5 poor start but grew into the game, much better playing further from the defence
Fornah - 6 grew into the game more, one bit of nice determination and strength, but very anonymous start
Ince - 7 could run all day, chased, ran at defence, needs end product
Ejaria - 6 probably the best midfielder defensively first half, but very uninvolved otherwise.
Meite - 6 looks a threat but we didn't create enough

Long - didn’t have an impact

Ince - not good enough setting us up to start, sub too little and too late.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 21:55

Snowflake Royal Feel like it's not a game without at least some ratings.

Lumley - 7 no worrying moments, lucky with one off the post and a good save followed by I thought he could maybe do better with the goal. Claimed crosses well.
Yiadom - 8 led really well and once released in the second half helped us get forward
McIntyre - 7 same
NGW - 6 two unfortunate slips that could have been costly but weren’t, thought he did ok
Hendrick - 6.5 poor start but grew into the game, much better playing further from the defence
Fornah - 6 grew into the game more, one bit of nice determination and strength, but very anonymous start
Ejaria - 6 probably the best midfielder defensively first half, but very uninvolved otherwise.

Seems fair enough tbh. Lumley did stumble and drop the ball under one fairly standard catch from a cross but honestly, I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been told he's a liability.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jul 2022 22:11

NewCorkSeth

McIntyre - 7 same

Seems fair enough tbh. Lumley did stumble and drop the ball under one fairly standard catch from a cross but honestly, I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been told he's a liability.

If it's the same moment I'm thinking of, I thought it was pretty smart goalkeeping if intentional, better than falling to the floor, potentially losing the ball for a tap in for their forward.

In terms of the ratings though, I'd knock NGW down to a 5 as he struggled to cope with Bowler throughout and Ejaria probably a 6.5 really as well, did ok just lacked the quality in and around the box (similar to Ince). Other than that, probably fair throughout.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jul 2022 22:13

NewCorkSeth
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip

Harsh on Hendrick. He made that pass because Meite told him to and a good playmaker trusts their striker. If I had a CM who chose to shoot from 20 yards instead of play the ball through to a striker (which Hendrick did very nicely I might add) I would not be thrilled.

I was a fair bit away with a restricted-ish view, but it looked like it opened up quite nicely and could argue that Meite made a sacrificial run which opened up more space to aim for the goal and bring it another yard or two closer for a strike.

I can fully understand the decision, I just didn't think it was the right one in hindsight. The pass wasn't necessarily poor, think Meite was knocked a little off balance by the Blackpool defender as he ran through.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jul 2022 22:17

Just back. That was oxf*rd dreadful :lol: I hope that was an off day and not what's to come. No quality or cutting edge.

Ejaria, Holmes, Fornah and Guinness-Walker were way out of their depth. I don't rate Holmes as championship quality. Ejaria just slows it down as usual.

Blackpool looked poor and will be down there with us on that showing.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 22:30

YorkshireRoyal99
NewCorkSeth

McIntyre - 7 same

If it's the same moment I'm thinking of, I thought it was pretty smart goalkeeping if intentional, better than falling to the floor, potentially losing the ball for a tap in for their forward.

In terms of the ratings though, I'd knock NGW down to a 5 as he struggled to cope with Bowler throughout and Ejaria probably a 6.5 really as well, did ok just lacked the quality in and around the box (similar to Ince). Other than that, probably fair throughout.

I'm not sure it is the same moment? He wasn't very close to the Blackpool number 9 at the time and was uncontested by any other player. The ball hit off one of ours on the way through and he just kinda dropped it. Not the knock forward to pick up early in the second half which was routine imo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 22:38

YorkshireRoyal99
NewCorkSeth
YorkshireRoyal99

I was a fair bit away with a restricted-ish view, but it looked like it opened up quite nicely and could argue that Meite made a sacrificial run which opened up more space to aim for the goal and bring it another yard or two closer for a strike.

I can fully understand the decision, I just didn't think it was the right one in hindsight. The pass wasn't necessarily poor, think Meite was knocked a little off balance by the Blackpool defender as he ran through.

In the moment yes, I agree, I thought he was going to pull it to his right and shoot as it was a totally free shot with all the defenders moving left and Hendrick with all the momentum but that's what you would expect a striker to do in that scenario, not a CM. Joao would do that. Hendrick playing in Meite was what I would want our mids to be doing every time. Imagine he played that ball to Joao for example? Thats exactly what we need. Someone to just play ball through to Joao for him to finish.

Too often last season those passes just never came. Mostly because Swift was just never in those positions for whatever reason.

Meite was knocked a little to be fair but I would still expect more power from him in the shot. It was very tame.

300 posts