BFTG - Blackburn Home

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Blackburn Home

by PieEater » 17 Aug 2022 22:35

Well I haven't enjoyed a game like that for a long time, we really dominated a team that was top of the league and never looked like losing it.

There was a reaction from the whole team after the Rotherham debacle, and it worked. Ince got his selection and tactics spot on. I was amazed how poor Blackburn were and if anything the scoreline flattered them. We completely dominated and could have score another couple.

Of the players, Fornah was immense as was Yiadom and TInce. Also Lumley pulled off a great save to get his confidence back after his shitshow on Saturday. The performance lifted the crowd and it's a long time I've felt so comfortable watching a home win play out.

Roll on Boro.##

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Blackburn Home

by windermereROYAL » 17 Aug 2022 22:44

Looking forward to the marks but anyone that gives Loum less than 10 want their heads looking at. he looks a real star.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Aug 2022 22:44

Superb display. Will add more tomorrow but absolutely nailed it. Everyone good to excellent, poor Jeff had a mare passing wise but otherwise everyone top notch

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Aug 2022 22:47

windermereROYAL Looking forward to the marks but anyone that gives Loum less than 10 want their heads looking at. he looks a real star.

Yep, he's already doubled his value on SoRare to £10. Got a nice score of 68 on there which is 33 AA, but he got 1 tackle away from the triple triple which would have been an extra 10 points.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Aug 2022 22:48

PieEater Well I haven't enjoyed a game like that for a long time, we really dominated a team that was top of the league and never looked like losing it.

There was a reaction from the whole team after the Rotherham debacle, and it worked. Ince got his selection and tactics spot on. I was amazed how poor Blackburn were and if anything the scoreline flattered them. We completely dominated and could have score another couple.

Of the players, Fornah was immense as was Yiadom and TInce. Also Lumley pulled off a great save to get his confidence back after his shitshow on Saturday. The performance lifted the crowd and it's a long time I've felt so comfortable watching a home win play out.

Roll on Boro.##

First of all and most important, did you actually go to the game ? Unlike Ian did the other day

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 17 Aug 2022 23:11

Pretty sure we’d have lost this game convincingly last season. For all his flaws, Paul Ince has at least installed some character into the team to bounce back the way they did.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Aug 2022 23:18

Loum was just amazing. Lost count of the number of times he won the ball, and won it so high up the pitch it allowed for quick counters

Fornah got better as the game went on and (Hendrick aside), the whole team was spot on

Lumley does worry me though. Nice for him to make such a great save with the one clear chance Rovers had, but they should have had a penalty after he spilled that catch

Really enjoyed the aggressive man marking at set pieces, and TInces corners for us caused chaos

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Aug 2022 23:31

That was fantastic. After a few tears of watching shit, tired football online, to be back and get a performance like that. Happy Days.

Saturday showed why this side could be relegated, tonight showed why he shouldn't be.

Loum is a beast of a player, who based on that performance, we are very lucky to have. Fornah showed that he is growing into this level. NGW great going forward. Ince - leads the team for me, still pressing in the 93rd minute at 3-0. Great save from Lumley at 1-0 too, key moment.

The most pleasing bit for me though, the team were arseholes, in a positive way. After years of being nice, we frankly bullied and annoyed Blackburn and upset any rhythm they could find.

Need to follow it up now. More home results like that and fans will start to return in greater numbers.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Aug 2022 23:35

Was dreading the worst after Rotherham but that was a reaction.

Also we won a midweek game, but weren't teams beginning with B always the exception to the midweek curse?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Aug 2022 23:50

What a performance. So many standouts but for me…

Fornah 9.5 - reminded me of leigertwood, great engine, picking up pieces from others. Just quality.
Loum 9 - outstanding. Beast of a player and showed how much better that midfield is over a Laurent / rhino combo
Ince 8.5 - such an important player. Fulfilling his obvious potential and playing for a manager he loves ;-)
Defence - 8.5 - goals, clean sheet, solid, bodies on the line.
Lumley - well done that man. Save at 1-0 was vital, amazing save, players reaction to it said it all. Couple of scares but deserves that tonight.
Long - 8.5 the Shane Long we love. Constant menace, winning headers, chasing down.
Guiness - 8.5 - love his attacking flair and better defensively. Great to have that long throw as a weapon and will get goals from that this season
Everyone else - 8

Just brilliant, well done. URZ.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Aug 2022 23:51

I'd love to know what Ince said between Rotherham away and before tonight. Never seen us so fired up for so long. I didn't even think Blackburn were that bad really, we just dominated them.

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 17 Aug 2022 23:52

Loafer
PieEater Well I haven't enjoyed a game like that for a long time, we really dominated a team that was top of the league and never looked like losing it.

Roll on Boro.##

First of all and most important, did you actually go to the game ? Unlike Ian did the other day

If you think that listening to some of the game on the radio is anything less than being there in person, think again

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 18 Aug 2022 00:00

Loum was a revelation to me, I hadn't seen him before.

Hendrick's passing wasn't 100%, as noted, but he never gave it up, and several times after missing his pass he would sprint back to cover / win back possession - the polar opposite of Drinko last season who'd just sulk.

WRT their penalty shout - all the argy-bargy beforehand made it painfully obvious that one of them was going to throw themselves to the floor at the first opportunity, it kind of made it easier for the referee to not give it....if that makes sense?

More than anything tonight it was the attitude - Pince might not be a tactical genius but he's made them work a lot harder and that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than anything I can recall for several seasons.

So pleased.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2022 00:21

So Dai was at the game today and brought the Queen of Brunei as his special guest :shock: actual royalty watching the royals tonight

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2022 00:32

paultheroyal What a performance. So many standouts but for me…

Fornah 9.5 - reminded me of leigertwood, great engine, picking up pieces from others. Just quality.
Loum 9 - outstanding. Beast of a player and showed how much better that midfield is over a Laurent / rhino combo
Ince 8.5 - such an important player. Fulfilling his obvious potential and playing for a manager he loves ;-)
Defence - 8.5 - goals, clean sheet, solid, bodies on the line.
Lumley - well done that man. Save at 1-0 was vital, amazing save, players reaction to it said it all. Couple of scares but deserves that tonight.
Long - 8.5 the Shane Long we love. Constant menace, winning headers, chasing down.
Guiness - 8.5 - love his attacking flair and better defensively. Great to have that long throw as a weapon and will get goals from that this season
Everyone else - 8

Just brilliant, well done. URZ.

Pretty much spot on ratings Paul. although I would give Junior a 9 as he was terrific. Love Fornah and Loum. The latter is a big boy with great positioning. Strong and streetwise too and can play a pass. Fornah has quick feet and real desire. They were outstanding.

Best performance in years. We won so many tackles. Some lovely passing sequences too and three well taken goals. The atmosphere was excellent and not just in club 1871 who were relentlessly cheering the team on.

Very encouraging.,

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2022 01:41

What a difference it makes when the players seem like they know what they’re doing and are really fired up.

Our game plan seemed to be get in their faces at every opportunity, bully them, run at them, win every ball, from behind if need be, just destroy them for 90mins non-stop. Suddenly everyone’s ratings shoot up. It seems the Inces’ mentality has rubbed off onto the whole team at once in this game.

Conversely Blackburn’s game plan seemed to be to expect to win it in first gear. What muppets. Then they made a million changes and we still walked over them.

Fornah seems to have a touch of Ejaria’s magnetic boots about him. That tenacity to set up Joaos goal, wow. Unfair to pick only him out when others were immense too, even the kids.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 18 Aug 2022 06:10

bakerlou
Loafer

Roll on Boro.##

If you think that listening to some of the game on the radio is anything less than being there in person, think again

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You aren't serious are you?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Aug 2022 06:42

Brogue So Dai was at the game today and brought the Queen of Brunei as his special guest :shock: actual royalty watching the royals tonight

New investment ?
I believe Mr Brunei has a bit of cash.....
One or two minor ethical issues perhaps.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2022 07:35

That was bloody brilliant.

You could see Ince finally got us to execute his plan. We started hard and 20 yards further forward than any other game this season. Shifting seamlessly between 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and 3-5-2. We were obnoxious and gave Blackburn absolutely no time or space.

Lumley - good recovery, little to do but he mostly did it well. Cut out the risky passing and just went direct. Made his best save so far. Did get a little nervy when he fumbled the ball when they should have had a pen, and unnecessarily came out to almost the halfway line when Yiadom was better placed to get it.
Yiadom - really good. Got forward well given the freedom to float between RB and RCB. Real captain's performance.
NGW - you can see he's not as polished as many. But he's got a great engine and unlike Gunter is brave and determined when it comes to attack. His passing isn't quite on the money, and defence needs to improve, but he's got great promise. Really contributes to our high tempo direct attacking feel.
Holmes - really growing into the Championship. I think he's been pretty excellent so far,not far off a goal either.
McIntyre - great follow up to really struggling against Rotherham. Won a lot and a belter of a goal.
Loum - absolute beast of a player. So good at winning the ball back and playing it on
Fornah - such good feet, clever passing and good strength really growing into the Champ.
Hendrick - mixed bag, good performance still but weakest on the night, very Drinkwater mix of very simple passes being missed from someone with obvious skill and technique
Hoilett - so much better playing further forward, but still did the defensive work. Links up really well with Ince and Yiadom. Has been obviously someone who should be playing RW for a while and nailed it
Ince - absolutely love this guy, runs for days, takes people on, drives the team, sexy football. Absolute legend
Long - hands up, absolute quality. So many good touches, passes, wins of the ball and hold up play. Still so fit, really good chasing

Joao - that man scores again. Bloody brilliant
Abrefa - growing into the team well
Clarke - looking solid, if not quite there yet

PInce. Got it absolutely perfect. There are going to be games where that doesn't work for us and we get punished and look bad, but if we can match that performance even occasionally, we'll be fine and have a more entertaining season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2022 07:48

Not much to add that hasn’t been said but optimistic after that

Ince has done what most of us have been crying out for ages - make us fit, aggressive and more direct. They’ve targeted the correct players - big athletic lads who can run all day and feed the quality of Ince, Hoilett, Ejaria and Joao.

Also get those set piece deliveries right and I’m not sure how you’d stop Holmes, Sarr, McIntyre, Dann, Loum, Joao, Meite etc scoring tons. Millwall have been doing this for years

Blackburn couldn’t cope. Loum kicking about 3 players over to get a yellow card at the end was stupid but summed up the physicality - loved it, as did the rest of the crowd

The contrast to Pauno’s lazy, soft, unfit bunch last year couldn’t be starker.

Anyway - get and stay fit, cut out some of the silly errors and we can hopefully have an enjoyable season