Let’s give Dai some credit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Let’s give Dai some credit

by Hound » 21 Sep 2022 12:55

From Despair To Where? The problem with Joorabchian was that his involvement saw a decline in the club's own scouting network and for a lot of the time, we didn't have a Bowen type figure vetting the deals, hence we got players like Boye coming in or we ended up spending £10m+ on 2 strikers when we already had about 5 at the club and some of the money would have been better served securing bettet deals for players like Richards and Olise.

Boye is/was a quality player tbf. Not sure how or why it didn’t work out for him here

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Sep 2022 12:56

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Pretty sure Bowen was a technical consultant at the time those players were signed. I remember an interview with him where he outlined his responsibility as looking at training and match preparation. Not sure what input he had on signings. It may even be that as a result if that he suggested the need for a Sporting Director to oversee all footballing operations. Either way, the backroom setup was a mess which is the central point to all this and that lies firmly at Dai's door.

For the record, I like Dai. I think he is an improvement on the Thais who, in turn, were an improvement on Zingarovich. Also, i think with things like Bearwood, in his own strange way, he is trying to push the club forward. I just hope he learns the lessons of the past 2 years.

Bowen was a consultant during the season. By season’s end he was in the Sporting Director's chair and very much involved in signings. He essentially brought in Morrison over Gomes head.

Personally, I'm not giving Dai any credit for turning up to a couple of games and going to the pub, any more than I'm giving him credit for the FL forcing him to manage the club in a more sustainable way.

He ignored Howe. He refused to sell Moore and instructed Gourlay to sort out the much improved deal for him Gourlay had been delaying. He appointed Gomes. He backed Stam for too long and with excessive spending. He dumped the one manager who had avoided a relegation fight with us. He stuck with Paunovic too long. He authorised the massive overspending the second we came out from under an embargo. He's overseen the club malaise that set back in after the Thais stabilised the problems of Zingarevich.

He's going to need to show he can run the club well and sustainably without being forced to with his hands tied by the FL before I give him an ounce of credit.

I only kept checking this thread as I knew it was building up to an Ian rant. Satisfied by that now and will leave it alone again

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 Sep 2022 12:57

I’m going to wait until the restrictions end to see if Dai has learned his lesson. Problem is I’m not sure he’s accepted that every player has a price in the lower leagues.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2022 13:00

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal Bowen was a consultant during the season. By season’s end he was in the Sporting Director's chair and very much involved in signings. He essentially brought in Morrison over Gomes head.

Personally, I'm not giving Dai any credit for turning up to a couple of games and going to the pub, any more than I'm giving him credit for the FL forcing him to manage the club in a more sustainable way.

He ignored Howe. He refused to sell Moore and instructed Gourlay to sort out the much improved deal for him Gourlay had been delaying. He appointed Gomes. He backed Stam for too long and with excessive spending. He dumped the one manager who had avoided a relegation fight with us. He stuck with Paunovic too long. He authorised the massive overspending the second we came out from under an embargo. He's overseen the club malaise that set back in after the Thais stabilised the problems of Zingarevich.

He's going to need to show he can run the club well and sustainably without being forced to with his hands tied by the FL before I give him an ounce of credit.

According to the club, Bowen was made Sporting Director 4 games into the new season and 2 days after we beat Cardiff 3-0.

https://readingfc.co.uk//news/2019/august/mark-bowen-appointed-as-sporting-director/

Link doesn't appear to be working properly but it's there on the club website.

Weird, because it was made clear that for the new season his consultancy was over and Gomes wanted autonomy with the playing staff in terms of training and prep across pre-season and into the season.

Well, not weird so much as fact.

My memory of events, as much as that means anything, is that he did recommend Morrison, and it was seen as a worthwhile signing but stayed on purely in a consultancy role as there was an expectancy that he would jump the moment Mark Hughes got another job. That didn't happen so he was then offered a permenant position with greater responsibility.

Anyway, as I said, I think Dai is alright. Yes he's made mistakes but he hasn't driven the club to the brink of administration like Zingarovich and he's put into the club rather than taken out, unlike the Thais, and a number of his initiatives have suggested he does have an afinity for the club.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Sep 2022 14:22

Hound
From Despair To Where? The problem with Joorabchian was that his involvement saw a decline in the club's own scouting network and for a lot of the time, we didn't have a Bowen type figure vetting the deals, hence we got players like Boye coming in or we ended up spending £10m+ on 2 strikers when we already had about 5 at the club and some of the money would have been better served securing bettet deals for players like Richards and Olise.

Boye is/was a quality player tbf. Not sure how or why it didn’t work out for him here

Did he not suffer from a few niggling injuries up until he did his hip toward when Covid hit?

He never seemed to get himself fit but always looked like he had something about him when he did play, even if it was just glimmers. Thee Championship is a tough league to come into, games come thick and fast so the physicality can be difficult to adjust to.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Sep 2022 19:02

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
According to the club, Bowen was made Sporting Director 4 games into the new season and 2 days after we beat Cardiff 3-0.

https://readingfc.co.uk//news/2019/august/mark-bowen-appointed-as-sporting-director/

Link doesn't appear to be working properly but it's there on the club website.

Weird, because it was made clear that for the new season his consultancy was over and Gomes wanted autonomy with the playing staff in terms of training and prep across pre-season and into the season.

Well, not weird so much as fact.

My memory of events, as much as that means anything, is that he did recommend Morrison, and it was seen as a worthwhile signing but stayed on purely in a consultancy role as there was an expectancy that he would jump the moment Mark Hughes got another job. That didn't happen so he was then offered a permenant position with greater responsibility.

Anyway, as I said, I think Dai is alright. Yes he's made mistakes but he hasn't driven the club to the brink of administration like Zingarovich and he's put into the club rather than taken out, unlike the Thais, and a number of his initiatives have suggested he does have an afinity for the club.

I think it was pretty obvious Bowen was doing the job long before it was officially announced (much like this time round) . There were a fair few interviews floating around with him during the summer but this one with the Post at the time of the official announcement makes it pretty clear in his own words.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-16802043

As you say though , it matters not, provided all parties in the decision making process understand what went wrong in the past and try as hard as possible not to repeat in the future.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Sep 2022 10:53

TiagoIlori I’m going to wait until the restrictions end to see if Dai has learned his lesson. Problem is I’m not sure he’s accepted that every player has a price in the lower leagues.
Also needs to know that getting the best team isn't about spending the most money, is about identifying the areas which require strengthening and then the right personnel to complement the squad. The best people to advise on this are those with an invested interest and experience, not those who profit from players moving around and securing high wages.