Worst and best rival fans you have seen?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Worst and best rival fans you have seen?

by Loafer » 22 Sep 2022 09:34

Who have been the worst and best fans you have seen at a game and why?

Coud be for no atmosphere, throwing stuff, fighting or great atmosphere or passionate or anything else

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst and best rival fans you have seen?

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Sep 2022 10:33

Always been impressed with Sheffield Utd's fans.

Always found Sunderland fans to be a bunch of witless Billy Big Bollockes who flounce at the first sniff of a setback.

Wigan seem to be supported by children and OAPs like they're too young or frail to watch the Warriors.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Sep 2022 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Sep 2022 10:34

The only time I was ever impressed by a set of fans was when the West Ham fans stopped giving a shit and did a conga when we beat them 6-0.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 22 Sep 2022 11:17

Scumbag Oxford fans pushing over children, and spitting at women and the elderly during our previous two visits to their 3 stand shambles of a stadium. They really are a pathetic bunch of Neanderthals.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Sep 2022 11:25

Didn't Middleborough fans once attack a minibus with disabled fans in or was that Reading fans attacking their bus?

I've seen the worse violence when Millwall visited the Madjeski, The club didn't help matters by leaving a big pile of bricks outside the away end so of course bricks started falling out of the sky over the Reading fans, one guy ducked and just missed having his head hit only for it to hit a small child behind him, He felt terrible but clearly it wasn't his fault.

Sunderland fans were a real friendly bunch after we beat them 4-0 (I think, maybe it was just 2-0) at Elm Park as we all drank together in the Spreadeagle.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 11:56

Bristol City’s visit to Elm Park in 1984 I think. Their fans took to lobbing bits of concrete/rubble from the away end onto the pitch and surround. Things got so bad the ref took the players off the pitch and City’s manager at the time, Terry Cooper, addressed them over the tannoy to stop or he’d concede the game.

But as with all these things there are varying degrees of mindless idiots at every club that ruin it for everyone and tarnish various clubs and/or the game’s reputation in general for others.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2022 12:14

Sutekh Bristol City’s visit to Elm Park in 1984 I think. Their fans took to lobbing bits of concrete/rubble from the away end onto the pitch and surround. Things got so bad the ref took the players off the pitch and City’s manager at the time, Terry Cooper, addressed them over the tannoy to stop or he’d concede the game.

But as with all these things there are varying degrees of mindless idiots at every club that ruin it for everyone and tarnish various clubs and/or the game’s reputation in general for others.

Ah, that was the one I was trying to remember

There was the Portsmouth riot
And the Plymouth fans smashing our supporters coach window

Cuppliance

by Cuppliance » 22 Sep 2022 12:56

The most trouble I've had from any set of fans was Manchester United. Throwing traffic cones and whatever else they could get their hands on at a bus of people of all ages.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Sep 2022 13:05

Swansea fans in 1993 decided to implement the Taylor Report recommendations early, pulling down the fencing in the away end.

Grimsby fans were quite impressive in the cup in the late 80s, filling the away end for a Tuesday night replay when they were in the 4th division.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Sep 2022 13:20

Depends on context. In a ‘professional’ context the worst were Liverpool and West Ham by far.
As a club I have absolutely no time for Chelsea fans.
But if you meet up with fans of pretty much any club on a one to one basis they are actually just like us. Have enjoyed a beer, a laugh and a bit of leg pulling with fans of a lot of clubs who were just unfortunate to have picked the wrong club to support.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Sep 2022 13:23

Never liked Pompey fans much. I remember when we beat them 2-0 at Elm Park in April 1979 and they took over the South Bank. I was about 15 at the time and some big fella in his 40s wanted to start fighting with kids.

I have always thought that the Newcastle fans were the best. Certainly, the loudest away support I’ve heard at the Mad Stad.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Sep 2022 14:54

Leeds fans are the worst for me personally speaking, Huddersfield a close second. Wouldn't take too kindly to Millwall fans as you wouldn't want to be caught up in the middle of their shenanigans. Wigan's fans are boring as well, admittedly it's a town that is bigger on rugby, not football.

In terms of support, the best set of fans I've seen personally are Newcastle, who have always backed their club through thick and thin and have always been relatively realistic in wanting better for the club and getting the club to be back to where they believe they should be.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 16:23

Do remember going to games at the old Den (Millwall) in the early and mid 80s hoping Reading could avoid winning. Luckily Reading were pretty good at obliging in that front.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Sep 2022 16:43

tmesis Swansea fans in 1993 decided to implement the Taylor Report recommendations early, pulling down the fencing in the away end.

Grimsby fans were quite impressive in the cup in the late 80s, filling the away end for a Tuesday night replay when they were in the 4th division.

The replay that we lost 3-2?

I went to the original tie-up in Cleethorpes and it all kicked off at the end. Partly because we got an undeserved equaliser in injury time and partly because the away section was in the corner next to the home terrace behind the goal and there was a bunch of Scunny fans in with us winding up the home fans throughout the game.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2022 17:30

From Despair To Where?
tmesis Swansea fans in 1993 decided to implement the Taylor Report recommendations early, pulling down the fencing in the away end.

I went to the original tie-up in Cleethorpes and it all kicked off at the end. Partly because we got an undeserved equaliser in injury time and partly because the away section was in the corner next to the home terrace behind the goal and there was a bunch of Scunny fans in with us winding up the home fans throughout the game.

Replay was lost 2-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBP0jddX3A

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2022 07:45

Sutekh
From Despair To Where?

Replay was lost 2-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBP0jddX3A

I remember 11 year old me being absolutely gutted that we missed out on a 5th round trip to top flight Wimbledon. How times change.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Sep 2022 10:46

Cuppliance The most trouble I've had from any set of fans was Manchester United. Throwing traffic cones and whatever else they could get their hands on at a bus of people of all ages.
Similarly, there was a Manchester United coach which on leaving the ground opened it's doors on the A33 and they all streamed out chasing those who were gesturing or worse at them as they were stuck in traffic.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Sep 2022 10:47

Reading fans are no angels, I recall one old Reading fan who was angry after Wolves or someone stuffed us up in Molineux who just punched some random Wolves fan out on the way to his car (I assume).

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 23 Sep 2022 11:32

Aggro wise - Man Ure, Watney Cup at home. When Stretford End were out in force. Carduff - FA Cup. Half of Wales in town from early doors. Also Pomps, Sheff Wed and particularly Villa, when each club turned up in numbers and took Southbank. Pompey were trying to push cars over, along Oxy Road, and Villa had chinned quite a few of our lads before the game. As witnessed by me and a mate walking up Kensington Road to see a few black eyes. Basically the lads said "Wouldn't go up there mate, it's like a zoo". Must admit, Oxfud away got a touch messy. Still, I'm sure we've all got stories and could write our own books.

As for decent fans, I'd say that the majority, wherever they originate from, are mainly there for the right reasons. We've had pre-match beers with NOLU (aka Millwall) blokes and they've been sound as a pound.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2022 12:00

Decent fans / Atmosphere = Bristol Rovers, Leeds
Abusive fans = Swansea / Millwall / Palace

All from own experiences.