BFTG Huddersfield Home

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Huddersfield Home

by Mr Angry » 02 Oct 2022 08:33

Last season we got to 21 points (after the points deduction) on January 3rd 2022, after our 23rd game.

:shock:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Oct 2022 08:49

Stranded
royalp-we It’s all about balance and this league is closer than ever, the championship never disappoints :D

When we got throttled at Rovrum and Sheff Utd we were the worst team they had seen in memory. Now we are saying the same about Hudds.

Such a tough run ahead on paper and I have absolutely no idea where we will finish this season.

Next 10 games are tough with the stretched squad we have and that make yesterday's win key. Now if we suddenly struggle and say only take 9 points form the next 10, we will still be at 30pts before the WC break, which would be a massive step towards safety.

We've managed 7 wins in 11, we probably only need to find 8 more in 35.

Interesting that we are still talking about a ‘stretched’ squad. We have 25 ‘permitted’ players and probably another 10 youngsters who have been around the first team for a year now and have to start being considered able to play a role at some point. I don’t know what the average first team squad in the division is but I feel that maybe we shouldn’t be using lack of players as an excuse (not that excuses are currently needed !). Of course injuries play a part but we have far fewer injuries now than we did a month ago.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Oct 2022 09:29

NewCorkSeth Weird how good NWG looked.. like a settled championship full back.

Most improved player by a mile. Beginning of the season I was a bit worried, but thought he looked good yesterday. Would be well worth a contract extension.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2022 09:54

Nameless
Stranded
royalp-we It’s all about balance and this league is closer than ever, the championship never disappoints :D

When we got throttled at Rovrum and Sheff Utd we were the worst team they had seen in memory. Now we are saying the same about Hudds.

Such a tough run ahead on paper and I have absolutely no idea where we will finish this season.

Next 10 games are tough with the stretched squad we have and that make yesterday's win key. Now if we suddenly struggle and say only take 9 points form the next 10, we will still be at 30pts before the WC break, which would be a massive step towards safety.

Interesting that we are still talking about a ‘stretched’ squad. We have 25 ‘permitted’ players and probably another 10 youngsters who have been around the first team for a year now and have to start being considered able to play a role at some point. I don’t know what the average first team squad in the division is but I feel that maybe we shouldn’t be using lack of players as an excuse (not that excuses are currently needed !). Of course injuries play a part but we have far fewer injuries now than we did a month ago.

Agree. I think we've got a pretty big squad.

Even with substantial injuries and not counting Academy players we've got 14 senior players available with no holes in a starting XI.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Oct 2022 10:42

Agree with the comments largely. Huddersfield looked like a side low on confidence and we took advantage but we were not at our best.

Not sure Carroll and João work together. They don't compliment each others strengths. Carroll is one I'd like to come off the bench to defend leads due to his aerial advantages. He's also good at helping us retain position further up the pitch.

Vs Norwich I'd like João to start with Meite and Carroll to come off the bench.

Well done to Tince, NGW and Hendricks who I thought were very good. Rest of them played fine although Lumley flapped a bit. Probably as he had little to do which is hard being a keeper when your team dominate the match.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Oct 2022 11:01

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday especially in the first half. Like most I thought that NGW was great and Ince looks like a premiership player tbh.

It’s a shame Yiadom is injured but hopefully we’ll have enough in the squad to cope with the difficult games coming up. I wouldn’t be surprised if come Friday we’re running on empty but at least we have a few more options now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2022 11:13

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Stranded

Even with substantial injuries and not counting Academy players we've got 14 senior players available with no holes in a starting XI.

Is that including Hoilett at RWB?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2022 11:34

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Yep, he's made pretty much all his appearances at left or right wingback this season. I wouldn’t want to use him as a traditional fullback except in an emergency, and I wouldn’t say he'd be first choice at WB, but that's his position now, it seems.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2022 11:50

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Agree. I think we've got a pretty big squad.

Yep, he's made pretty much all his appearances at left or right wingback this season. I wouldn’t want to use him as a traditional fullback except in an emergency, and I wouldn’t say he'd be first choice at WB, but that's his position now, it seems.

I agree, just surprised you're allowing a round peg in a square hole. You're getting soft.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2022 13:28

Solid performance all around yesterday really, disappointed with the sloppiness from the corner leading to their goal, would have liked a clean sheet but none of the defence covered themselves in glory with that one.

Pleased for Meite, simple finish but his endeavour and power got him there, NGW and Hendrick I thought had good games as well personally. Take it into the week and any point(s) against Norwich is a bonus.

Huddersfield are poor though, very poor.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Oct 2022 13:38

Good all round performance today with Hendrick and Guinness-Walker having possibly their best games for us so far.
Andy Carroll was IMHO outstanding and not only did he give us that heading option at the far post, arguably for the first time since Jimmy Quinn, but also he occupied more than one defender at set-pieces (meaning McIntyre had the far post chance) but also played some great headed passes to out wide with real power.

A comfortable stroll in the sun ahead of two more difficult fixtures this week but we are exceeding expectations by a distance.
Btw, Huddersfield tried a passing game but although tidy (apart from the no.3 gifting the ball to Ince) they had no forward threat in terms of pace or power.

The manager knew what he was doing by quitting in the summer knowing that after losing players there wasn't a great deal left.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2022 13:44

South Coast Royal The manager knew what he was doing by quitting in the summer knowing that after losing players there wasn't a great deal left.

Yep. It was, and still is, a sinking ship. Still pretty early and it's a tight league, but they'll need their fortunes to change and probably some significant investment in Janury in order to survive I think.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2022 13:47

Nameless
Stranded

Agreed the squad size is fine but we don't have far fewer injuries with seven likely to be out for Norwich albeit that does include Moore.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Oct 2022 13:55

Honestly, you’d be forgiven for thinking Huddersfield were a newly promoted team on a shoestring budget and not a team that were 90 minutes away from the Premier League by reading the comments alone. Horrible change of fortunes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2022 13:59

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Is that including Hoilett at RWB?

I agree, just surprised you're allowing a round peg in a square hole. You're getting soft.

Never against converting players. W vs WB is lots of crossover too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Oct 2022 15:02

Zip
Nameless
Stranded

Agreed the squad size is fine but we don't have far fewer injuries with seven likely to be out for Norwich albeit that does include Moore.

I always consider 7 to be far less than the dozen we have had previously. We’re fielding an entire bench of seasoned pros rather than an entire bench of callow youth.
Who are the 7?
Dann, Yiadom, Baba, Azeez, Long ......?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2022 15:05

TiagoIlori Honestly, you’d be forgiven for thinking Huddersfield were a newly promoted team on a shoestring budget and not a team that were 90 minutes away from the Premier League by reading the comments alone. Horrible change of fortunes.

I think last season was the anomaly, as it seems to be proving. They are currently 23rd and the 2 seasons previous to last season they finished 20th and 18th. They lost their best player in O'Brien and their 2 full backs departed, likely along with a couple of others as well. So, they were already struggling for quality in the main but lost some of their starting players in the process and haven't spent a great deal to replace them either. Looking for new investment as well, not a huge surprise this season sees them struggling again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2022 15:06

Nameless
Zip
Nameless

I always consider 7 to be far less than the dozen we have had previously. We’re fielding an entire bench of seasoned pros rather than an entire bench of callow youth.
Who are the 7?

Sarr and Moore

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2022 15:07

Nameless
Zip
Nameless

Who are the 7?

Sarr and Moore I believe there.

Meite has just recently come back from a spell injured, Loum missed a game or so as well etc. Think it was more an overview of the season thus far, granted their does seem to be a slight improvement.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2022 15:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Zip

Who are the 7?

Sarr and Moore I believe there.

Meite has just recently come back from a spell injured, Loum missed a game or so as well etc. Think it was more an overview of the season thus far, granted their does seem to be a slight improvement.

Yes there has been a slight improvement. That's how I would phrase it. We never seem to get close to having a fully fot squad.