Burnley (A) BFTG/S

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Burnley (A) BFTG/S

by Millsy » 31 Oct 2022 11:20

Stranded
Millsy A lot of negativity towards refs but clearly the linesman is at fault here as they had the best view.

Sure, the final decision lies with the ref but if the linesperson who is a few yards away with perfect view isn't immediately frantically waving the flag about it sort of gives the impression to the ref that it can't be a pen so he'd really be sitcking his neck out giving a pen.

I don't think the linespeople are anywhere near as ballsy as they need to be and too much is on the refs' shoulders. That's the real problem here.

Let it not detract from the game though - yes the boys did good and 'should' have won, but actually they were absolutely rippign us apart all game, gettign in behind our defence for fun. They were the better side and thoroughly deserved the win.

The issue is, the assistant refs are usually briefed by the ref on how they want them to work together - the ref is the boss at the end of the day - so it could be in some instances that they are told by him/her not to flag for something unless they are 100% and think s/he has missed it.

Given where the ref was positioned, it could be fair to say that the AR would be of the view, well he saw it and seems happy so no need to flag.

Or they both just had a massive brain fart and messed up.

Then you've hit the nail on the head, that is clearly the issue and somethign needs to change there with how they work together. eg if they have full autonomy and are duty bound to raise a flag (or an arm or something) to signal that they have spotted something. Then it lands on the ref to decide if he wants to give it. It's just too wishy washy. What lino is going to flag for a pen when his "boss" clearly thinks it isn't? If they're duty bound to be independent and gie their view immediately that would be a step in the right direction. An uncertain ref, seeing an indication from the Lino that there's a foul is more likely to give it even if uncertain. A ref who's told his scared Lino only to flag if he's missed something is going to get nothing from the lino and then also not have the balls himself. It's a ridiculous system, if true.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 31 Oct 2022 11:39

Did anyone use the Cricket Club car park?
Certainly got a bit lively after the game when they opened the gates at the ground and let all the home fans through.

Saw a young girl who was very upset, looked like she had been pushed or something.
Saw a Reading fans car get attacked whist they were in it, we decided to stay outside the car to make sure ours wasn't attacked.
Absolute scummy wronguns

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Oct 2022 12:05

windermereROYAL Simpson is back there on Wednesday has 4th official, they must be hoping the 1st choice gets nobbled.

The Burnley fans are still droning on about the `blatant` pen they should have got in the first half, like it evens itself out.

Having seen the highlights on Sky, it was nowhere near as blatant as they claim. There guy was backing forcefully into Holmes in an attempt to make them both fall to the ground and claim a penalty. Holmes should be told to be more sensible with his arms in that situation though as other refs might have given it.

I bet they didn't mention the blatant bit of cheating by Zaroury when he fell to the ground in our penalty area like he was mortally injured in an attempt to get Mbengue sent off. Replays showed no real contact between them. At most Mbengue might have accidentally trod on his foot during the general pushing and shoving that was taking place at the time. And Zaroury didn't fall to the ground clutching his foot anyway!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Oct 2022 12:13

Millsy A lot of negativity towards refs but clearly the linesman is at fault here as they had the best view.

Sure, the final decision lies with the ref but if the linesperson who is a few yards away with perfect view isn't immediately frantically waving the flag about it sort of gives the impression to the ref that it can't be a pen so he'd really be sitcking his neck out giving a pen.

I don't think the linespeople are anywhere near as ballsy as they need to be and too much is on the refs' shoulders. That's the real problem here.

Let it not detract from the game though - yes the boys did good and 'should' have won, but actually they were absolutely rippign us apart all game, gettign in behind our defence for fun. They were the better side and thoroughly deserved the win.

Fair point but the different camera angles suggested that the ref should've had a good enough view and, if not sure, should've asked his 'Assistant'. Can't understand how both could both decide it wasn't a penalty.

Also, as others have mentioned, some refs still seem to adopt the approach that they only want their Assistants to deal with throw ins and offsides. If they are telling their Assistants not to get involved in other decisions, then it really does make a mockery of the name 'Assistant Referee'. The PGMOL really need to sort this out. However, with Kevin No Friend of Mine one of those in charge, I doubt there's much hope of that, as Paul Ince pretty much stated.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Oct 2022 13:23

RoyalBlue

Fair point but the different camera angles suggested that the ref should've had a good enough view and, if not sure, should've asked his 'Assistant'. Can't understand how both could both decide it wasn't a penalty.

Also, as others have mentioned, some refs still seem to adopt the approach that they only want their Assistants to deal with throw ins and offsides. If they are telling their Assistants not to get involved in other decisions, then it really does make a mockery of the name 'Assistant Referee'. The PGMOL really need to sort this out. However, with Kevin No Friend of Mine one of those in charge, I doubt there's much hope of that, as Paul Ince pretty much stated.

1. Referees and assistants are linked by radio. There is much more communication than flag waving
2. Absolutely no way do these officials just do throw ins and offsides ! That is park level where a substitute is running the line. With qualified, neutral officials you would want as much help as possible. Of course the assistant will not often be looking in the right place to judge offences given their priority is being in the right place, and looking the right way, to make difficult offside calls.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 31 Oct 2022 15:40

wally bassoon Did anyone use the Cricket Club car park?
Certainly got a bit lively after the game when they opened the gates at the ground and let all the home fans through.

Saw a young girl who was very upset, looked like she had been pushed or something.
Saw a Reading fans car get attacked whist they were in it, we decided to stay outside the car to make sure ours wasn't attacked.
Absolute scummy wronguns

Yea our car got attacked and my 12 year old boy was very upset. It might have been us you saw. In hindsight, we should have just held back until the crowds disapearred.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 31 Oct 2022 16:14

East Stand Ste

Absolute scummy wronguns

Yea our car got attacked and my 12 year old boy was very upset. It might have been us you saw. In hindsight, we should have just held back until the crowds disapearred.

Were you up by the gate and sprint out after one of them? If so I saw you.

I cant believe how aggressive they were, it was like going back in time, I can accept a few idiots, thats fine, but this was relentless.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 31 Oct 2022 17:55

I don’t know how penalties have’t been given against Holmes , he wrestles players in the box far too often . Maybe he will only stop when he is penalised .

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Oct 2022 18:05

Snowflake Royal What a gut punch to serve up a real feeling of injustice for what we mostly expected and you could probably anticipate from the balabce of play.

Burnley were tidy and obviously had quality, but until we scored looked like they couldn’t finish their dinner. Despite having the beating of us down their left flank all game. Not surprised they draw a lot at home. I remember Rodriguez being a real threat... age catching up with him I guess.

Much better in extended patches from us. Higher energy and higher up the pitch. We still colapsed back into our shell too often and for too long though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you can't consistently have 40%+ of the play, you will keep failing. We aren’t good enough at passing, dribbling, defending or shooting to rely on direct longball counter attacks after being under prolonged sustained pressure with 1, 2 or 3 players to win us games often.

Lumley - 7 can't help but feel he could have done a bit better with one goal and a couple of hairy moments that went unpunished, but also a couple of quality saves.
Mbengue - 4 I thought he was terrible. Winger had him on toast. Misplaced clearances, wild sliding swings as the last man no where near, yet more foul throws, robbed.
Rahman - 5 an enigma. Clearly talented, some briliant interceptions and touches. Also beaten easily by the sub winger, poor decision making, selling players short, rubbish crossing.
Yiadom - 7 didn’t see him do much wrong, but wouldn’t say it was his strongest or most influential game
Holmes - 8 defended very well, got away with some blatant hugging in our box.
McIntyre - 7 pretty good considering he had to go off concussed after a wack in the face some time earlier.
Hendrick - 7 increasingly like Hendrick, he's grown more reliable and keeps things moving
Loum - 7 good game from him breaking up play, gets forward when he can too
Ejaria - 6 quiet game, some nice stuff. Still dallies too long on the ball
Ince - 8 rocking it early on, picking pockets galore. Lovely goal. Should have had a penalty.
Meite - 7 drifted in and out, his hold up play has improved, and nice flick on for the goal.

Hoilett - 6 ok, worked hard, didn’t really get the opportunity to excel
Long - 6 couldn’t really achieve much as a lot of the time we were camped in our half.

We really should put a CB on the bench and stop pretending Mbengue is a wingback. He can't play there.

You really need to invest in spell check it's free.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2022 18:40

karbota
Snowflake Royal What a gut punch to serve up a real feeling of injustice for what we mostly expected and you could probably anticipate from the balabce of play.

Burnley were tidy and obviously had quality, but until we scored looked like they couldn’t finish their dinner. Despite having the beating of us down their left flank all game. Not surprised they draw a lot at home. I remember Rodriguez being a real threat... age catching up with him I guess.

Much better in extended patches from us. Higher energy and higher up the pitch. We still colapsed back into our shell too often and for too long though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you can't consistently have 40%+ of the play, you will keep failing. We aren’t good enough at passing, dribbling, defending or shooting to rely on direct longball counter attacks after being under prolonged sustained pressure with 1, 2 or 3 players to win us games often.

Lumley - 7 can't help but feel he could have done a bit better with one goal and a couple of hairy moments that went unpunished, but also a couple of quality saves.
Mbengue - 4 I thought he was terrible. Winger had him on toast. Misplaced clearances, wild sliding swings as the last man no where near, yet more foul throws, robbed.
Rahman - 5 an enigma. Clearly talented, some briliant interceptions and touches. Also beaten easily by the sub winger, poor decision making, selling players short, rubbish crossing.
Yiadom - 7 didn’t see him do much wrong, but wouldn’t say it was his strongest or most influential game
McIntyre - 7 pretty good considering he had to go off concussed after a wack in the face some time earlier.
Hendrick - 7 increasingly like Hendrick, he's grown more reliable and keeps things moving
Ince - 8 rocking it early on, picking pockets galore. Lovely goal. Should have had a penalty.
Meite - 7 drifted in and out, his hold up play has improved, and nice flick on for the goal.

Long - 6 couldn’t really achieve much as a lot of the time we were camped in our half.

We really should put a CB on the bench and stop pretending Mbengue is a wingback. He can't play there.

We all have valuable contributions to make to hobnob, but I think yours is best as nothing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Oct 2022 20:51

Snowflake Royal
karbota

We all have valuable contributions to make to hobnob, but I think yours is best as nothing.

Do you really need to reply to someone who points out typos, but who doesn't know basic English grammar?

Block the racist or at least don't quote him unless you want to be blocked too. I don't need to read his shit here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2022 22:04

Do you need to block yourself because you also quoted him?
Could get awkward.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Oct 2022 22:36

Snowflake Royal
karbota

But I thought you blocked me, blockhead.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Oct 2022 22:38

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
karbota

Do you really need to reply to someone who points out typos, but who doesn't know basic English grammar?

Block the racist or at least don't quote him unless you want to be blocked too. I don't need to read his shit here.

Just returning the shit I received.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Oct 2022 22:43

Snowflake Royal Do you need to block yourself because you also quoted him?
Could get awkward.

Fair point. But that was just to trigger him. Blocking really winds him up 8)

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 01 Nov 2022 08:59

wally bassoon
East Stand Ste

Absolute scummy wronguns

Were you up by the gate and sprint out after one of them? If so I saw you.

I cant believe how aggressive they were, it was like going back in time, I can accept a few idiots, thats fine, but this was relentless.

not sure it was me you saw then. I did get out of my car but didn't sprint after anyone. I imagine it happened to multiple people. Yea you're right, I accept the odd idiot, but this was a proper mob and they were quite aggressive (although no punches were thrown or anything).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Nov 2022 09:09

Nameless 2. Absolutely no way do these officials just do throw ins and offsides !

You're right. They don't do throw ins these days, just wait for the ref to signal

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Nov 2022 09:13

Silver Fox
Nameless 2. Absolutely no way do these officials just do throw ins and offsides !

You're right. They don't do throw ins these days, just wait for the ref to signal

If you watch closely you’ll see what they actually do…..

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2022 09:18

Nameless
Silver Fox

To be fair Mbengue gets it wrong so often that the officials probably start to wonder whether it’s them actually getting the law wrong.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Nov 2022 10:33

Sutekh
Nameless
Silver Fox

To be fair Mbengue gets it wrong so often that the officials probably start to wonder whether it’s them actually getting the law wrong.

Are you talking about foul throws ?