MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

250 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2022 13:02

YorkshireRoyal99
paultheroyal Brilliant from Carroll for the winner, and yes it was a foul for the freekick.

Hull City were the home team and were incredibly poor after the first goal. Shocking miss from 27 when our keeper fluffed his lines. I say miss, he didnt even strike it, it was just a pass into the net and wanted more touches.

Massive result that and something to build on after world cup - break has come at right time. Hopefully checks Coventry's momentum and for us, Sarr, Hutchison into that team, and Azeez finally able to start his season.

I'm not 100% sure Azeez gets into our squad with everyone fit, but no doubt we will have some injury casualty going into the game against Coventry, problem is it will probably end up being him again!

But yeah agree it's a really important 3 points and the break will be good for us to get some rest in our legs and hopefully it means we start on more of an even-keel against Coventry, a team we can certainly beat at home.

Agree. I also don't see where his position is... he's not going to compete with any of Ince, Joao, Meite, Long or Carroll to play.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2022 13:04

SCIAG
South Coast Royal
paultheroyal Brilliant from Carroll for the winner, and yes it was a foul for the freekick.

Hull City were the home team and were incredibly poor after the first goal. Shocking miss from 27 when our keeper fluffed his lines. I say miss, he didnt even strike it, it was just a pass into the net and wanted more touches.

Massive result that and something to build on after world cup - break has come at right time. Hopefully checks Coventry's momentum and for us, Sarr, Hutchison into that team, and Azeez finally able to start his season.

Are Sarr and Azeez falling into that category (add Tetek) that they are perceived to be better players than they are, the longer they are out?

Do people perceive Azeez and Tetek as likely starters? I might be wrong, but I think they’re fairly judged as being useful options rather than revolutionary ones.

Sarr, I think it is fair to say, would be a genuine contender for a starting slot at the least.

Paul's got a similar hardon for Azeez as he has for Antonio.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2022 13:06

YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I think Sarr is a starter, I think our best back 3 would be Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr personally speaking. Maybe a touch harsh on TMac, but it's not bad to have those options really. Yiadom and Mbengue have proved capable of covering those positions and Moore, when fit, is a more than decent option on his day.

Tetek and Azeez aren't considered starters, good squad options who should be capable of performing and probably deserve a fair chance in the team if given the chance. Just not sure where Azeez fits into our current team at the moment, as I think he's shown his best quality out wide, but we've rarely played with wingers this season unless we've gone for a 5-4-1, where he may fit in.

McIntyre has struggled. Sarr is definitely ahead. I'd prefer Holmes and Sarr as a pair to anything else. Getting fed up with 3.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Nov 2022 13:13

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
South Coast Royal
Are Sarr and Azeez falling into that category (add Tetek) that they are perceived to be better players than they are, the longer they are out?

Do people perceive Azeez and Tetek as likely starters? I might be wrong, but I think they’re fairly judged as being useful options rather than revolutionary ones.

Sarr, I think it is fair to say, would be a genuine contender for a starting slot at the least.

Paul's got a similar hardon for Azeez as he has for Antonio.

Apologies for having a talent on spotting a star player. Apologies for wanting to promote a young star in our setup to the first team.

Have a good day.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2022 13:18

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I think Sarr is a starter, I think our best back 3 would be Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr personally speaking. Maybe a touch harsh on TMac, but it's not bad to have those options really. Yiadom and Mbengue have proved capable of covering those positions and Moore, when fit, is a more than decent option on his day.

Tetek and Azeez aren't considered starters, good squad options who should be capable of performing and probably deserve a fair chance in the team if given the chance. Just not sure where Azeez fits into our current team at the moment, as I think he's shown his best quality out wide, but we've rarely played with wingers this season unless we've gone for a 5-4-1, where he may fit in.

McIntyre has struggled. Sarr is definitely ahead. I'd prefer Holmes and Sarr as a pair to anything else. Getting fed up with 3.

Presuming Ince sticks with a back 3, if everyone ever gets fit at the same time, he may opt to play Holmes, Moore and Sarr, at least initially, anyway. Going to be interesting for all if Reading ever do get that luxury of fit central defenders.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Nov 2022 13:24

We’ll definitely stick with 3 if we genuinely do have Holmes, Hutch, Mbengue, Yiadom, Sarr, Moore and TMc available

Believe it when I see it though

Dann/Mbengue could work. If only to really annoy Ian

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Nov 2022 13:28

The more i think about it the more i feel for Tmac. He has had Baba casually doing something in front of him. Must be difficult to know where to defend when you dont know if your LWB going to track his man or not or even bother running back at all.
I prefer a back 3 tbh. When it works it works well, last 4/5 games it just hasn't worked very well ands I put it down to the WC.

Azeez is a talent, not quite justified his spot in the team yet however there could be a lot of minutes for him off the bench, gives us something completely different to change things up. I would say he could challenge Ince next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2022 14:25

Coppells Lost Coat The more i think about it the more i feel for Tmac. He has had Baba casually doing something in front of him. Must be difficult to know where to defend when you dont know if your LWB going to track his man or not or even bother running back at all.
I prefer a back 3 tbh. When it works it works well, last 4/5 games it just hasn't worked very well ands I put it down to the WC.

Azeez is a talent, not quite justified his spot in the team yet however there could be a lot of minutes for him off the bench, gives us something completely different to change things up. I would say he could challenge Ince next season.

That will be Azeez's role to start with I'm sure, someone to come off the bench with 20 mins to go, to give their defence something different to worry about. If he impresses there then there could be an opportunity to give Ince a rest at some point and play him in his role, or indeed we may switch formation at some point - I think Ince has said he likes to play 4321 or 433 and may look to move back to that if he feels his options allow.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Nov 2022 15:02

Snowflake Royal

I think it's a bit unfair to say he has struggled, I just think he's the one we'd drop over anyone, but would imagine he'd still get a fair bit of game time because we aren't going to keep all of our defenders fit. The 3 at the back I think will be here to stay consistently, to which I think he'd be 4th choice when all are available. He's improving I think, but it's just not as quickly as Holmes and obviously Hutchinson and Sarr are more experienced and probably preferred at this time. I think he's had a decent season all things considered.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Nov 2022 15:06

Stranded
Coppells Lost Coat The more i think about it the more i feel for Tmac. He has had Baba casually doing something in front of him. Must be difficult to know where to defend when you dont know if your LWB going to track his man or not or even bother running back at all.

That will be Azeez's role to start with I'm sure, someone to come off the bench with 20 mins to go, to give their defence something different to worry about. If he impresses there then there could be an opportunity to give Ince a rest at some point and play him in his role, or indeed we may switch formation at some point - I think Ince has said he likes to play 4321 or 433 and may look to move back to that if he feels his options allow.

Yeah I think the way Azeez gets in at the moment is if we change shape. I can't see him being effective in our regularly played 5-3-2 and I just don't think he would impact a game too much as a 10 for Ince or as part of the forward line, but I agree he would give us something different, I just don't think it would work at the minute. (I would happily be proven otherwise though)

I think if we can change to a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or potentially even a 3-4-3, if we can have such luxury, then he's certainly a candidate for that and I think would do a decent job for us out wide.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2022 16:49

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

Presuming Ince sticks with a back 3, if everyone ever gets fit at the same time, he may opt to play Holmes, Moore and Sarr, at least initially, anyway. Going to be interesting for all if Reading ever do get that luxury of fit central defenders.
:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2022 16:50

Hound We’ll definitely stick with 3 if we genuinely do have Holmes, Hutch, Mbengue, Yiadom, Sarr, Moore and TMc available

Believe it when I see it though

Dann/Mbengue could work. If only to really annoy Ian

Dann would block a lot from his trolley bed, not sure he'd be too mobile or able to jump tho.

......................Nyland
Mbengue, Dann, Moore, Rahman
..............Drinkwater, Ejaria

Could it get any shitter.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Nov 2022 17:05

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal McIntyre has struggled. Sarr is definitely ahead. I'd prefer Holmes and Sarr as a pair to anything else. Getting fed up with 3.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Ince has mentioned him a couple of times in recent interviews, and he appears to be on his way back to fitness again, he would be an option if we can't move him on which I'm imagine we'd be wanting to do in January if possible.

I don't think he'd be in our starting three, but he very much "could" be. Just think circumstances may dictate the answer though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Nov 2022 05:55

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Ince has mentioned him a couple of times in recent interviews, and he appears to be on his way back to fitness again, he would be an option if we can't move him on which I'm imagine we'd be wanting to do in January if possible.

I don't think he'd be in our starting three, but he very much "could" be. Just think circumstances may dictate the answer though.

Moore is definitely in Ince's thoughts, going by his comments, if it looks like he is staying here until the summer.

If, as has been suggested, he remains popular with the squad and following rehab is anywhere near the levels of when he first joined only a foolish manager would discount him.

Imagine the goal for all though, is get him fit and ship him out. MLS move may come round again if he is fit.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Nov 2022 07:44

Just hope they base anything they do on sensible football reasons rather than what Ian says

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2022 08:05

Silver Fox Just hope they base anything they do on sensible football reasons rather than what Ian says

I would also like a sea change in the way the club does things.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2022 08:18

On a serious point, why would annyone involve Moore in the sqaud / team, with his history of issues and injuries baring in mind he's so obviously out the door in May?

This is a 29 year old player whose performance was declining 2 -3 seasons ago, and has since barely played football in 18 months after a string of injuries that kept him out. Having been injury riddled but playing on prior to that.

He's earning approx 3 times any of our other defenders which raises question marks over resentment given he doesn’t perform better than any of them, if he starts taking places.

At this point, Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr are all better. McIntyre is at least as good and we have promising young players who would benefit from the bench and cameo appearances like Abbey, Stickland and Clarke. Arguably Yiadom is a better performing centreback this season than Moore was last time he played for us.

By the time Moore is fit, we should also have Holmes, Hutchinson, Sarr, McIntyre, Yiadom, maybe even (LOL) Dann available.

Where is his place? Its no where.

All of the above players have a potential future at the club (except Dann), Moore doesn’t.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2022 08:29

If he is fit, we can’t get rid of him in Jan and he is performing well and better than the other CBs in training then I’d have him in

It’s all about results still. If we’re safe come April then yes of course start looking ahead

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2022 08:46

If he does play again for Reading, I hope the fans don’t get on his back and give him a bit of leeway considering how serious the injuries sounded.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Nov 2022 09:06

Snowflake Royal On a serious point, why would annyone involve Moore in the sqaud / team, with his history of issues and injuries baring in mind he's so obviously out the door in May?

This is a 29 year old player whose performance was declining 2 -3 seasons ago, and has since barely played football in 18 months after a string of injuries that kept him out. Having been injury riddled but playing on prior to that.

He's earning approx 3 times any of our other defenders which raises question marks over resentment given he doesn’t perform better than any of them, if he starts taking places.

At this point, Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr are all better. McIntyre is at least as good and we have promising young players who would benefit from the bench and cameo appearances like Abbey, Stickland and Clarke. Arguably Yiadom is a better performing centreback this season than Moore was last time he played for us.

By the time Moore is fit, we should also have Holmes, Hutchinson, Sarr, McIntyre, Yiadom, maybe even (LOL) Dann available.

Where is his place? Its no where.

All of the above players have a potential future at the club (except Dann), Moore doesn’t.

I think the biggest issue is keeping them all fit. Hutchinson has already picked up a few injuries so far this season, TMac has had the odd couple of knocks and Dann is never fit, so he is definitely worth using. Moore is also miles ahead of the likes of Abbey, Stickland and co as well, whilst I'd never discount youth, I'd much rather us use Moore, at least until we are safe. Yiadom we could move to RWB as well, he'd just be another option we could feasibly use.

Also being fit, playing games and being involved makes him much more of a sellable asset as well to potentially an MLS club, as has been mentioned. Not sure when their window opens, but if we can't sell him, we may as well use him when he's earning so much.

I think there is a place in the squad for him and whatever happened 12 months ago is history now and we don't know the full story. The club tainted him in pretty bad light, but the club have to take responsibility for their part in all of this as well.

FYI, if moving him on in January means we can keep the likes of Carroll and Mbengue on and offer them a better deal as well as have a free space in the squad for the remainder of the season that we could, in theory, fill, then I'd rather we did that. But I'm not against using him.

250 posts