250 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Sutekh » 08 Nov 2022 22:41

When : Saturday 12th November 2022, 3pm
Where : KCOM Stadium, The Circle, Walton St, Hull, HU3 6HU
Capacity 25,404

The ever increasing shambles that is masquerading as Reading’s season rocks up at Hull next, a ground at which the club have never won and against a team on a new management bounce and playing it’s first home game after former Royal Liam Rosenior was appointed last week. But at least the game isn’t on the telly for once so there’s a chance the club might do a bit better than the last efforts.

Hull are a bit, well, random this season. Generally they’ve struggled but have had a decent win at home to Norwich and managed to win at Rotherham so they have something in their squad that’s capable and Reading will have to do their homework to make sure they don’t have a frustrating and disappointing month off worrying about the next set of difficult games.

Hull have lost their last 3 home games so will be very determined to get themselves back on track particularly as they are now 2 games unbeaten since the aforementioned new management moved in. Colombian international Oscar Estupinan leads their scoring charts with a whopping 8 goals, however he is, thankfully, suspended and in his absence midfielders Ozan Tufan and Regan Slater seem to be providing the main threats

The Tigers not only will be without the suspended Estupinan but also the injured Billy Chadwick, Allahyar Sayyadmanesh and Vaughn Colvil plus have doubts over Benjamin Tetteh, Harvey Vale and Callum Elder. Reading still can’t improve on their injury problems having lost Tom McIntyre and Joe Lumley in return for Sam Hutchinson’s recovery!

Referee

Gavin Ward

Previously

30 Aug 2022 > Sheffield United 4-0 Reading
15 Apr 2022 > Sheffield United 1-2 Reading
08 Jan 2022 > Kidderminster Harriers 2-1 Reading (FA Cup)
02 Nov 2021 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Mar 2021 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
05 Dec 2020 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
03 Oct 2020 > Reading 1-0 Watford
04 Feb 2020 > Cardiff City 3-3 Reading (FA Cup)
22 Apr 2019 > Reading 0-0 West Bromwich Albion
12 Mar 2018 > Reading 0-3 Leeds United
01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 28th league trip to Hull for Reading. The previous visits have yielded 7 wins, 10 draws and 10 defeats. There is a bit of an issue starting to develop though as Reading's last win in Hull was in 1994 at Boothferry Park which means Reading are yet to win at Hull's nice not quite so new shiny plastic spakkerdome. In the 8 visits there Reading have managed 4 draws and naff all else.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way up north
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Nov 2022 23:44

Trekking up to this one, my 4th visit to Hull and the previous 3 have all been draws.

We have to play more positively than what we have done. Tempted to start Meite to rough them up and bring Long off the bench to support João.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 09:47

Will be in Berlin this weekend completely ignoring this game as a result.

Last game I was unable to follow was Bristol City, so hoping for a similar result.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2022 17:02

I shall be hoping to gently flick a peanut off the cat’s head and into a waste paper basket while trying to maintain an air of accidentalality about it. It worked for the Millwall game and have now found the “lucky” peanut. Positioning of cat as much as timing is key it seems. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2022 10:22

Bouzanis

Yiadom
Mbengue
Holmes
NGW

Hutchinson

Meite
Hendrick
Fornah
Ince

Long

Boyce Clarke, Abbey, Rahman, Loum, Ejaria, Carroll, Joao

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2022 13:10

URZZZZ Bouzanis

Yiadom
Mbengue
Holmes
NGW

Hutchinson

Meite
Hendrick
Fornah
Ince

Long

Lhope we are more attacking than in recent away games

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2022 13:16

March 19th 1994 since we last won there 2-1 thanks to a Quinny brace. Admittedly that is only 8 games. D3 L5.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Nov 2022 14:33

Stranded March 19th 1994 since we last won there 2-1 thanks to a Quinny brace. Admittedly that is only 8 games. D3 L5.

So we’ve never actually won at their current ground?

Nice.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Nov 2022 15:51

4-3-3 and lets try and take the game to them instead of being on the back foot as usual. They might have a new manager which will give them a boost for sure, but if we can get the first goal then their confidence should evaporate pretty sharpish.

Bouzanis

Yiadom Holmes Hutchinson NGW

Fornah Loum Hendricks

Meite Long Ince

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Nov 2022 08:26

URZZZZ Bouzanis

Yiadom
Mbengue
Holmes
NGW

Hutchinson

Meite
Hendrick
Fornah
Ince

Long

This looks good but it’s all about the mentality. We can’t just sit back. We create f all and we’ve always got a couple of mistakes in us at the back

Do quite like Mbengue at CB from what I’ve seen in saying that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 08:42

......................Bouzanis
Yiadom, Holmes, Hutch, NGW
.........Hendrick, Loum, Fornah
Meite....................Ince
.......................Joao

Andresson, Rahman, Mbengue, Ejaria, Hoilett, Long, Carroll

oxf*rd balance, Ince didn’t work out of the thick of it, but neither has either shape. Get Meite back where he's best. NGW's pace and enthusiasm. Hutch in defence and a proper back 4.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Nov 2022 09:00

Get the feeling it will be something similar to Watford, where we transition between a back 4 and a back 5.

Bouzanis
Holmes Hutchinson Mbengue
Yiadom Loum Hendrick NGW
Ince
Joao Meite

Subs: CBC, Rahman, Hoilett, Ejaria, Fornah, Carroll, Long.

Could quite easily switch to a back 4 and play 4-3-3, swapping Mbengue out for Fornah, which wouldn't be a bad choice. Just get the feeling that might be the overall shape with Hutchinson pushing into midfield, but ultimately that depends how Hull play.

Think NGW is a must, but if it is a back 3 then we could easily move Yiadom into the back 3 and have Hoilett at wing back. There's a decent bit of flexibility and choice now and obviously our strikers will always cause a debate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 10:26

YorkshireRoyal99 Get the feeling it will be something similar to Watford, where we transition between a back 4 and a back 5.

Bouzanis
Yiadom Loum Hendrick NGW
Ince
Joao Meite

Could quite easily switch to a back 4 and play 4-3-3, swapping Mbengue out for Fornah, which wouldn't be a bad choice. Just get the feeling that might be the overall shape with Hutchinson pushing into midfield, but ultimately that depends how Hull play.

Think NGW is a must, but if it is a back 3 then we could easily move Yiadom into the back 3 and have Hoilett at wing back. There's a decent bit of flexibility and choice now and obviously our strikers will always cause a debate.

I could live with that... Hull aren't a strong candidate for penning us back in our 18 yard box and dominating possession

Harsh on fornah.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Nov 2022 10:35

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Get the feeling it will be something similar to Watford, where we transition between a back 4 and a back 5.

Bouzanis
Yiadom Loum Hendrick NGW
Ince
Joao Meite

I could live with that... Hull aren't a strong candidate for penning us back in our 18 yard box and dominating possession

Harsh on fornah.

True, but it's like anything though, if you don't lay a glove on the opposition, they will beat us. They've still got some dangerous players.

I think it is harsh on Fornah as well, but we just don't seem willing to drop Hendrick at the moment, even though I personally would as Fornah has had some decent games in recent memory.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Nov 2022 11:05

Problem with that is that when Hutch steps forward you have a mid 3 or Hutch, Loum and Hendrick. All decent players but none are creative and all are pretty adept at losing the ball doing anything more than the absolute basics. Yiadom’s final ball let’s him down and NGW prob won’t play anyway

It does then leave Meite, Joao and Ince to try to make the opportunities themselves and this isn’t working.

Think Fornah has to be in. Only one outside of Ince who looks like creating anything at all from midfield

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Nov 2022 11:09

When I saw the stat that we haven't won there since 1994 I did think "wow that's terrible" but then I looked it up and after that particular match we played them twice between then and 2010 so it's a bit of a misleading stat. We've played them regularly since then so it is still a pretty terrible record, hopefully we can finally get another win up at Hull.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Nov 2022 11:32

Cant see ince going back to a back 4. Not sure how good Holmes is as a communicator but with Hutch in there Mbengue will benefit.
Harsh on Meite but I think We need to play without the initial ball being a punt up top. Also as Loum has been put in the WC squad he needs to be on the bench. I felt even though Ejaria had a shocker - he does track back and take his defensive responsibilities serious - need some one like that in the middle and his aerial game has improved . One last chance for him to impress. Also teams like to double up on him for some reason and might open up a bit of space for other.
Would be tempted to drop one of the 3 strikers on the bench for youth. Maybe Clarke or Abbey.

.......................Bouzanis
.........Holmes Hutchinson Mbengue
Yiadom .......................................NGW
.......... Hendrick Ejaria Fornah
................... Ince ...... Joao

CBC, Rahman, Loum Hoilett, Meite , Carroll, Long

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Nov 2022 12:27

I know I’m a broken record but we’ve won 4 out of 5 games that Long has started, and have won every one that he’s started as part of a front 2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 12:31

CountryRoyal I know I’m a broken record but we’ve won 4 out of 5 games that Long has started, and have won every one that he’s started as part of a front 2.

..................Bouzanis
Meite, Hendrick, Fornah, Ince
...................Long, Joao

:?:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Nov 2022 12:32

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal I know I’m a broken record but we’ve won 4 out of 5 games that Long has started, and have won every one that he’s started as part of a front 2.

..................Bouzanis
Meite, Hendrick, Fornah, Ince
...................Long, Joao

:?:

I'd probably have Hoilett on the right with Meite up top instead of Joao if we were to go down that route. I could see it working, but I could also see us burning out pretty quickly and getting overrun. Not sure if any forwards would be able to drop in to affect a pivot, in the opposition's side, on the ball.

250 posts