Midweek Away Record

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Midweek Away Record

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Nov 2022 23:01

4 wins in our last 53 away midweek matches is a disgraceful record.

Why are we so bad in midweek? I can't remember who our last away win in mid week. Is it fitness? Is it planning? It's spanned over at least 4 managers.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Midweek Away Record

by Zip » 08 Nov 2022 23:03

It's a pathetic and inexcusable record.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Nov 2022 23:09

Blackburn was the last I believe during our flying start when Pauno first took over the others were Birmingham twice and Burton, all the Bs

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Nov 2022 23:09

Royal_jimmy 4 wins in our last 53 away midweek matches is a disgraceful record.

Why are we so bad in midweek? I can't remember who our last away win in mid week. Is it fitness? Is it planning? It's spanned over at least 4 managers.

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Bristol City (0) 0 - 2 (2) Reading

Since the above win at Bristol City Reading have the following away league game midweek record….

Wycombe L 1-0
Birmingham L 2-1
Luton D 0-0
Derby L 1-0
Millwall L 1-0
Bristol C L 2-1
Peterborough D 0-0
Bournemouth D 1-1
Sheffield U L 4-0
Swansea L 3-2
Luton D 0-0
Watford L 2-0

Pld 12 W 0 D 4 L 8 F 5 A 17 Pts 4 (out of a possible 36)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Nov 2022 23:42

Only one more away midweek game this season, Blackburn, it begins with a B so all is not lost.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 09 Nov 2022 04:02

What’s our record on Sky live games? Tonight’s game has to be the most predictable in our 151 year history.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2022 08:30

Jackson Corner What’s our record on Sky live games? Tonight’s game has to be the most predictable in our 151 year history.

As far as I can make out, since August 2017 Reading have played 38 league games live on SKY (this DOES NOT include red button games).

Reading have won on just 8 occasions which is a win ratio of about 21%

19 games have been lost so the loss ratio is 50%

When Reading have a rather decent season they (obviously) get more air time. 2020/21 saw 17 live games whereas the cr@p that was last season saw just 4 games of interest to Sky. This season has already seen 7 games with another 2 in the pipeline (Brum and the Swans) but would imagine, given the club's current slide down the division, that coverage will tail off in the second half of the campaign.

So, overall, Reading live on SKY is currently returning relegation from results esp. this season which has seen 1 win and 4 defeats so far.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 08:49

Sutekh
Jackson Corner What’s our record on Sky live games? Tonight’s game has to be the most predictable in our 151 year history.

As far as I can make out, since August 2017 Reading have played 38 league games live on SKY (this DOES NOT include red button games).

When Reading have a rather decent season they (obviously) get more air time. 2020/21 saw 17 live games whereas the cr@p that was last season saw just 4 games of interest to Sky. This season has already seen 7 games with another 2 in the pipeline (Brum and the Swans) but would imagine, given the club's current slide down the division, that coverage will tail off in the second half of the campaign.

So, overall, Reading live on SKY is currently returning relegation from results esp. this season which has seen 1 win and 4 defeats so far.

Oh god, I had forgotten Brum was a Friday night away game.

Does that count as a midweek v a B team game? Else I see nothing else bar an L.

I hate Friday night games.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 09 Nov 2022 15:04

Sutekh

Thanks that’s cheered me up no end.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Nov 2022 15:12

I don't know what the span is for that stat, but what is odd about it is that we aren't one of those teams that is strong at home and awful away. We have won 21 away league games in the last three complete seasons, which isn't going to get us promoted, but isn't abysmal either. 17 in the three years before that. So 28% of our total league away games in the last six seasons, whereas we have won just 8% of those games in this sample. Clearly a specific probably with performance midweek.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Nov 2022 16:35

The thing I have noticed is we seem to often perform poorly as well. I can't remember an away match in midweek where we should have won except maybe Luton. We look lacklustre and unfit most of the time.

Even our home record in midweek is very poor. In the last 4 years we've got the following record on Tuesday and Wednesday night although we've won 1, drawn 1 and lost 1 this season:

Wins: 7
Draws: 2
Losses: 16
PPG: 0.92

Absolutely atrocious reading.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2022 16:51

Royal_jimmy The thing I have noticed is we seem to often perform poorly as well. I can't remember an away match in midweek where we should have won except maybe Luton. We look lacklustre and unfit most of the time.

Even our home record in midweek is very poor. In the last 4 years we've got the following record on Tuesday and Wednesday night although we've won 1, drawn 1 and lost 1 this season:

And it’s not as if all the games against the perceived better sides were slated for midweek either, there’s just as much of the “also rans” in there.

Perhaps Tim needs to bring this rather peculiar midweek game problem to the attention of the management and see if there’s any insight or psychological solutions that can be adopted. Then they can approach the issue with the TV games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Nov 2022 22:19

I too wonder if the current management are aware of these hideous figures, there surely can`t be another club anywhere as bad as this in midweek.
Our last away win against any other team that doesn`t start with a B was at Leeds on 11th March 2014, 8 fucking years ago.
It will stretch to 9 years because our only remaining away midweek game this season. is Blackburn.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2022 00:03

windermereROYAL I too wonder if the current management are aware of these hideous figures, there surely can`t be another club anywhere as bad as this in midweek.
Our last away win against any other team that doesn`t start with a B was at Leeds on 11th March 2014, 8 fucking years ago.
It will stretch to 9 years because our only remaining away midweek game this season. is Blackburn.

Totally insane, it's definitely a monkey for us to get off our backs

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2022 07:54

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy The thing I have noticed is we seem to often perform poorly as well. I can't remember an away match in midweek where we should have won except maybe Luton. We look lacklustre and unfit most of the time.

And it’s not as if all the games against the perceived better sides were slated for midweek either, there’s just as much of the “also rans” in there.

Perhaps Tim needs to bring this rather peculiar midweek game problem to the attention of the management and see if there’s any insight or psychological solutions that can be adopted. Then they can approach the issue with the TV games.

It definitely feels like there is something wrong with the pre-match prep that is deep routed at the club to propogate such long term bad form. It would be interesting to know what, if anything, the club does differently on midweek games as opposed to Saturday, where we perform significantly better (thankfully else we'd likely be in League 2 now).

You would think that they would build up roughly the same i.e. meet at same time, follow same routine, just meeting at 5pm rather than 12pm. Is it something that is being done before they meet that is the problem? Are other clubs having the team get together earlier to ensure the right levels of rest? Are our lot playing golf in the morning or something stupid.

Whatever it is, the prep for a midweek game clearly isn't working and needs to be reviewed. Thankfully, we currently only have 3 or 4 midweek games left.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Nov 2022 09:10

Stranded
Sutekh

It definitely feels like there is something wrong with the pre-match prep that is deep routed at the club to propogate such long term bad form. It would be interesting to know what, if anything, the club does differently on midweek games as opposed to Saturday, where we perform significantly better (thankfully else we'd likely be in League 2 now).

You would think that they would build up roughly the same i.e. meet at same time, follow same routine, just meeting at 5pm rather than 12pm. Is it something that is being done before they meet that is the problem? Are other clubs having the team get together earlier to ensure the right levels of rest? Are our lot playing golf in the morning or something stupid.

Whatever it is, the prep for a midweek game clearly isn't working and needs to be reviewed. Thankfully, we currently only have 3 or 4 midweek games left.

3 remaining games currently scheduled for midweek; Blackburn (a), Rotherham (h) and Luton (h)

Outside of other conditions causing postponements and abandonments, the only games at risk of being moved to midweek would be due to FA Cup involvement of Reading or their opponents, these games are Sheffield United (h), Hull City (h) and Coventry City (a) - though the latter 2 would be unlikely as that would mean QF appearances for Reading and/or Hull and SF appearances for Reading and/or Coventry.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 10 Nov 2022 11:45

Isn't our home midweek record almost as bad? Something like 20 defeats in the last 30 games.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Nov 2022 12:08

I mean - they're always going to be the hardest games to play. Usually cold/poor weather, fewer away fans, travel compounding fatigue from only having a couple of days rest. So, not really surprising that a team that has gone through turmoil these last few years has such a poor record in them.

Lets focus on winning the games we should win this season - bottom-half of the table teams at home - and not fixate on why we lose to top 6 teams away on a Tuesday night.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Nov 2022 12:24

Record sounds awful. Is it the same for everyone and home team always has an advantage But from the above it sounds like oru home form is also awful.

WHich can only be one thing - it's not like we're some sort of different team midweek.

It must be a reflection of our stretched squad through injuries and restrictions. We might pull through on Saturdays, afternoon with bigger crowds etc, but the problems will really manifest at pinch points such as midweek games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Nov 2022 12:39

Bit more digging on this and basically since the start of season 2015/2016 Reading have played 109 midweek league fixtures and are averaging approx 0.89ppg. As you’d expect therefore, both home and away form is pretty useless though the team is actually harder to beat when playing away than at home while the home games usually return a decisive result.

Home Record

Pld 57
W 19
D 6
L 32
F 63
A 89
Pts 63

Away Record

Pld 52
W 4 :lol:
D 22
L 26
F 44
A 77
Pts 34

Given they are so few, the away victories are:

31 January 2017 - Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
30 January 2018 - Burton Albion 1-3 Reading
27 October 2020 - Blackburn Rovers 2-4 Reading
16 February 2021 - Bristol City 0-2 Reading

Note that it seems once Reading have won at a team beginning with B, they are unable to repeat the feat!

As you’d probably expect, given we’re talking about English football, the most often recurring midweek games are of course not against anybody remotely local, they are: Birmingham City (7 games), Huddersfield Town, Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers (all 6 games).