MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Orion1871 » 14 Jan 2023 18:42

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz Brian Mac was on BBCB after the game, he said he had watched it twice, it was a penalty in his opinion.

I go with his opinion….the result won’t change regardless.

Probably would’ve taken the point pre-game, looking forward to the highlights tonight and the JH goal.

I'll never admit when I'm wrong.

I'll go with the blind man.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2023 18:43

Orion1871 I'll never admit when I'm wrong.

I'll go with the blind man.

Nice sig.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Jan 2023 18:44

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz Brian Mac was on BBCB after the game, he said he had watched it twice, it was a penalty in his opinion.

Probably would’ve taken the point pre-game, looking forward to the highlights tonight and the JH goal.

He would say that, he was one of the ones who taught Long to dive and said he was the best he'd seen at 'winning' a penalty.

I'll go with the professional ref.

Long gets goalside, defender makes an attempt at the ball from behind and makes no contact with it but does make contact with the player. Its a free kick all day long anywhere else on the pitch as evidenced about 30 seconds later when he awards a free kick to QPR for pretty much the same thing.

Not that we deserved to win since aside from a ten minute spell we were awful but if Dickie hadn't already been booked I have a suspicion the ref would have been more inclined to give it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jan 2023 18:45

Piss poor management cost us today. Those subs basically invited them onto us. All they had done until that point were plonk balls over the top. Lumley saved our arses again today. We could and should have lost.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2023 18:46

Vision
Snowflake Royal

He would say that, he was one of the ones who taught Long to dive and said he was the best he'd seen at 'winning' a penalty.

Long gets goalside, defender makes an attempt at the ball from behind and makes no contact with it but does make contact with the player. Its a free kick all day long anywhere else on the pitch as evidenced about 30 seconds later when he awards a free kick to QPR for pretty much the same thing.

Not that we deserved to win since aside from a ten minute spell we were awful but if Dickie hadn't already been booked I have a suspicion the ref would have been more inclined to give it.

Yeah, Mick and co called up the freekick straight after, our player was all over theirs and made contact with them. That's not what happened with Long, he stuck his leg out to tap their player as he was going down, Long made the contact.

It doesn't happen anywhere else on the pitch because Long wouldn't be trying to win a penalty.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2023 19:01

It was a definite penalty for me. Completely got taken out by Dickie. The ref bottled it.

On to the rest of the game, fair result but I am getting frustrated with Ince's negative tactics. He did it against Swansea twice, Burnley, Middlesbrough and today. He goes negative far too early when we're on top. It's a reason I don't see Ince as a long term manager for us unless he changes that mindset.

QPR weren't on top of us and we were 2-0 up with over half an hour to go, bringing on 2 defenders for midfielders just invited pressure. If there's any time to make those subs then do it with 10 minutes left if we're comfortable.

Won't change the outcome of the season but annoyed and it was 2 points dropped. Lucky we didn't get beat in all honesty.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Jan 2023 20:22

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Snowflake Royal He would say that, he was one of the ones who taught Long to dive and said he was the best he'd seen at 'winning' a penalty.

Yeah, Mick and co called up the freekick straight after, our player was all over theirs and made contact with them. That's not what happened with Long, he stuck his leg out to tap their player as he was going down, Long made the contact.

It doesn't happen anywhere else on the pitch because Long wouldn't be trying to win a penalty.

Stuck his leg out, made minimal contact and didn't get the ball. Pretty much the same thing.

Reckon a quarter of all free kicks are exactly what you've just described. It happens all over the pitch in every game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2023 22:22

Snowflake Royal

You'd go with opinion of a notoriously error prone type of professional who doesn't know the player and had a split second to make a decision with fears of a possible sending off, vs the opinions of another professional who calmly watched the replays several times in comfort and who knows the player involved.

Ok. Footy's all about opinions but yours seems to be an outlier this time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2023 22:25

Rule one on HNA

IAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Come on!!! get with it Millsy :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2023 00:00

windermereROYAL Not the first time we`ve tried to defend a lead at all cost normally it`s 15-20 minutes not sodding half an hour,just how many CBs do you need on the field at the same time?
Felt like a defeat and lucky it wasn`t

Alarmingly similar to the last time we were 2-0 up at home to a Critchley side at half time. Fine margins both times in that Puscas missed a sitter around minute 50 with the penalty appeal today being around that time too. At least this time the comeback wasn’t complete

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2023 00:24

Ascotexgunner Piss poor management cost us today. Those subs basically invited them onto us. All they had done until that point were plonk balls over the top. Lumley saved our arses again today. We could and should have lost.

It was an odd XI. 5 at the back, two holding midfielders, Hendrick and then the front two. This was a QPR side who have struggled of late and would assume are bereft of confidence having conceded the last kick of the game against Sheffield before bowing out of the cup against Fleetwood. Some credit for bringing on a second striker after the enforced change but it shouldn’t have been necessary

The problem you allude to, with regards to the subs, was that there wasn’t much else he could do. This was because for some reason, Ince decided to fill his bench with 3 strikers, 3 CB’s and nothing else. I was fearful that when the likes of Dann, Moore and Hutchinson returned, it would be the likes of Mbengue, Fornah and NGW (I.e the least experienced ones) who would drop out and it looks like it’s coming to fruition. Mbengue was the only unused sub today and I’m sure if Moore was fit today then Mbengue would be the one to drop out

We’ve seen countless times in the past, players becoming better the less they play (Ilori, Evans, Sims etc etc). It may be true for NGW too (although I personally think the raw talent is there). But this perseverance with Rahman is staggering. He offers absolutely nothing in this formation. I can’t comprehend how Ince can’t see it. His preference for experience at all costs is infuriating. Where is the incentive for the younger players to sign on?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 15 Jan 2023 08:16

Why wasn’t Azeez on the bench yesterday? He looked good & direct at West Brom, and apparently played well last week.

He could be exactly the type of player the squad needs right now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2023 10:46

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

You'd go with opinion of a notoriously error prone type of professional who doesn't know the player and had a split second to make a decision with fears of a possible sending off, vs the opinions of another professional who calmly watched the replays several times in comfort and who knows the player involved.

Yeah, I'd go with the opinion of the guy with no bias over the guy with obvious bias for sure. Refs may be error prone, but they are much better at the rules than fans, players or managers.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jan 2023 13:53

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal He would say that, he was one of the ones who taught Long to dive and said he was the best he'd seen at 'winning' a penalty.

Yeah, I'd go with the opinion of the guy with no bias over the guy with obvious bias for sure. Refs may be error prone, but they are much better at the rules than fans, players or managers.

I agree with Ian on this-if there was any doubt then Shane's reputation has gone before him, accumulated at the many clubs he has played for.
Saints fans saw him as a diver when watching him regularly just as we have seen with Gunter and Yiadom with their habit of buying the foul when in a bit of trouble .

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jan 2023 19:29

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Refs are hardly error prone ! People disagree with them (usually people with an agenda) but they get the vast majority of decisions correct. If players made as few errors as refs we would see a totally different sport…..

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2023 11:47

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Refs are hardly error prone ! People disagree with them (usually people with an agenda) but they get the vast majority of decisions correct. If players made as few errors as refs we would see a totally different sport…..

Vast majority - ie they do get decisions wrong. So much a problem that millions are spent on VAR. I'm not knocking them, they do a very hard job (and they have my full respect) but the very nature of that job is understood to be difficult and error prone (i.e. not 100% reliable), hence needing extra officials VAR etc.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 29 Jan 2023 22:42

windermereROYAL Not the first time we`ve tried to defend a lead at all cost normally it`s 15-20 minutes not sodding half an hour,just how many CBs do you need on the field at the same time?
Felt like a defeat and lucky it wasn`t

I agree