Our defence.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Our defence.

by paultheroyal » 25 Jan 2023 09:10

I think people treat Holmes and Mcintyre like they did Rhinomota and Laurent - untouchable, when in fact when you pull back the layers they are really not good at this level.

We were poor defensively last year and its been repeated again with those 2 at the helm.

Team needs to be built around Sarr and Mbengue and those 2 can raise their levels to get back in.

Lumley is more than adequate.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Jan 2023 09:34

Holmes has been ok. I cant help but feel we do better when McIntyre is not in the team. We have other players to come in and he needs to be benched. TBH the whole left side has been pretty shakey all season. As I mentioned before maybe a coasting Baba really stitches him up.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 Jan 2023 15:23

Snowflake Royal Hendrick taking up Ince's position to push him out wide is one of the crazier ideas I've read on here.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure that is and pretty much always was Inces's preferred and best position. Sean Dyche has also gone on record as saying Hendricks best position is just behind the forwards as a link.
Is playing Ince out wide any worse than playing Yids as a CB, Hoilett as a WB and just playing Babba in general over NGW?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2023 17:20

paultheroyal I think people treat Holmes and Mcintyre like they did Rhinomota and Laurent - untouchable, when in fact when you pull back the layers they are really not good at this level.

We were poor defensively last year and its been repeated again with those 2 at the helm.

Team needs to be built around Sarr and Mbengue and those 2 can raise their levels to get back in.

Sarr has been a complete flop. Had one good game pre injury and rubbish since.

Saying we should ditch Holmes and build a team around a kid and a flop. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2023 17:23

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal Hendrick taking up Ince's position to push him out wide is one of the crazier ideas I've read on here.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure that is and pretty much always was Inces's preferred and best position. Sean Dyche has also gone on record as saying Hendricks best position is just behind the forwards as a link.
Is playing Ince out wide any worse than playing Yids as a CB, Hoilett as a WB and just playing Babba in general over NGW?

I'm more interested in where players are at now. And Ince's best for us has been behind a striker. The one time I can recall he was out wide this season he was anonymous, and he's performed better this season than last when he played wide more.

As for Hendrick, he doesn’t create a lot, his shooting is poor and he's not that quick.

Absolutely no reason to screw around with the performance of our standout player.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 25 Jan 2023 18:47

What do the stats tell us ? And other meaningless drivel.
28 games played
14 first goal against us
13 first goal for us
1 goalless draw

As a simple benchmark whowver scores first wins. So we should have 40 "conceptual" points - we have 37
Of the 27 scoring games 19 had no change in outcome from first score.
Thats 70% of games where whoever scores first wins

Only 8 "swing games"
> 4 "first goal against us" games - Cardfiff (H) Win, Norwich (H) Draw, Hull (A) Win, Nowrichj (A) Draw - "Gained" Points = 8
> 4 "first goal for us" games - QPR (A) Lose, Swansea (A) Lose, Burnley (A) Lose, QPD (H) Draw - "Lost" Points = 11

So we have lost just 3 points due to more/less fight/game management ? Hardly significant ? By Home and Away we've picked up 2 at home and lost 5 away.

All seems pretty much bang average, which is what we are

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jan 2023 21:48

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal I think people treat Holmes and Mcintyre like they did Rhinomota and Laurent - untouchable, when in fact when you pull back the layers they are really not good at this level.

In your opinion.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Jan 2023 23:02

YorkshireRoyal99

Pushing the player into a position where his own Dad has said he is best? Yeah really daft.

Tom Ince has played a fair amount of his career as an inside forward in a 4-3-3 I believe. It would also allow Meite to play on the other side, and I think we’ve established he’s far better out wide than through the middle. The big conundrum would be which of the strikers would play on his own centrally. But having Ince & Meite near to him would be better than what we currently have from an attacking sense

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2023 08:10

Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Pushing the player into a position where his own Dad has said he is best? Yeah really daft.

Tom Ince has played a fair amount of his career as an inside forward in a 4-3-3 I believe. It would also allow Meite to play on the other side, and I think we’ve established he’s far better out wide than through the middle. The big conundrum would be which of the strikers would play on his own centrally. But having Ince & Meite near to him would be better than what we currently have from an attacking sense

He has and a 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3, on the assumption that Laurent comes back - could look something like - going on who is likely to get picked by Ince if all fit - not who I would pick in a 4-1-2-3 - only the "1" is a bit hard to call for me.

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Hutchinson Baba
Loum/Fornah/McIntyre
Hendrick Laurent
Ince Carroll Meite

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 08:42

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

I'm more interested in where players are at now. And Ince's best for us has been behind a striker. The one time I can recall he was out wide this season he was anonymous, and he's performed better this season than last when he played wide more.

As for Hendrick, he doesn’t create a lot, his shooting is poor and he's not that quick.

Absolutely no reason to screw around with the performance of our standout player.

But Ince has played behind the striker for the majority of the season, so he's bound to be "best" there based on that. If the counter-argument is because he didn't do something in one game, it doesn't really stand up very well.

We wouldn't be using Hendrick for that purpose though. Dyche specifically mentions, from the defensive point, that his engine and pressing were an asset to Burnley. Not just that, Dyche also mentions he can make good runs and can get himself into the box. Those runs might just be able to open up the space for someone else i.e. Joao, Ince/Meite coming in off the channel, a deep runner etc.

Some fans also say we are too easy to play against in the midfield and teams are able to build through the thirds quite easily against us, so having someone who can press well from the front and possibly force errors, force turnovers or even force longer balls, that also might make us harder to play against and harder to play through.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 09:43

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal

In your opinion.

And many others. Holmes is widely regarded as our best defender this season, and Sarr has received lots of criticism for poor performances since his return.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 09:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

But Ince has played behind the striker for the majority of the season, so he's bound to be "best" there based on that. If the counter-argument is because he didn't do something in one game, it doesn't really stand up very well.

We wouldn't be using Hendrick for that purpose though. Dyche specifically mentions, from the defensive point, that his engine and pressing were an asset to Burnley. Not just that, Dyche also mentions he can make good runs and can get himself into the box. Those runs might just be able to open up the space for someone else i.e. Joao, Ince/Meite coming in off the channel, a deep runner etc.

Some fans also say we are too easy to play against in the midfield and teams are able to build through the thirds quite easily against us, so having someone who can press well from the front and possibly force errors, force turnovers or even force longer balls, that also might make us harder to play against and harder to play through.

Why change the bit that is working.

What has Hendrick done this season to show great engine and pressing?

When we struggle to create, why is your answer to put someone.less creative further forward so we can defend from the front better.

Weren't Burnley a side that struggled to create under Dyche.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jan 2023 10:15

Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

They’re both better off the right though aren’t they? Don’t think it necessarily solves the problem and we saw the trio of Ince and Meite playing off Carroll against both Swansea and West Brom - don’t think we created much in either game

It’s a workmanlike squad which always goes well with a basic 4-4-2. Push Hoilett further forward on the left with Ince on the right. Unless the wingbacks improve, this current formation is a no go

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 10:19

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I'm more interested in where players are at now. And Ince's best for us has been behind a striker. The one time I can recall he was out wide this season he was anonymous, and he's performed better this season than last when he played wide more.

Why change the bit that is working.

What has Hendrick done this season to show great engine and pressing?

When we struggle to create, why is your answer to put someone.less creative further forward so we can defend from the front better.

Weren't Burnley a side that struggled to create under Dyche.

Well when you say "working", he has 2 goals in his last 11 games. The goal against Swansea was from an error, but coming inside from the right channel, likewise the goal against Birmingham was cutting inside from the right and scoring with his left foot. It's not like Ince has been particularly outstanding either in the last 3/4 games, maybe bar QPR where I thought he did ok.

We are always going to struggle to create because we don't have that many creative players in our squad and we don't exactly play on the front foot either. Maybe for a bit more security in the midfield and to make us a bit more robust there, whilst being able to potentially force errors, long balls or win the ball higher up, it might be useful.

Hendrick hasn't shown the press from midfield, but maybe that's a tactical instruction. I wouldn't want one of our two deep lying midfielders charging out of position constantly, but he could do this further up the field with a bit more insurance behind him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 10:36

I’m not anyone is playing especially well at the moment which makes it hard to pick the side. Not playing terribly either mind you

Would be happy enough with 4-4-2 or a close variation of it. Whatever we do don’t think it’ll be too pretty this year. Struggling to find a team that inspires but a workman like

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Sarr NGW
Ince Loum Hendrick Azeez
Carroll Meite

Seems about as good as I can come up with. Obvs Ince won’t go for that left side but I’m not sure Junior ‘1 goal no assists’ is the answer either

Am sick of the 3 at the back and crap wingbacks though

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Jan 2023 10:46

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Sarr has been a complete flop. Had one good game pre injury and rubbish since.

In your opinion.

And many others. Holmes is widely regarded as our best defender this season, and Sarr has received lots of criticism for poor performances since his return.

and equally many regard Holmes as a weak link and slow and Sarr has received positive comments from a couple of stellar performances. You do realise that when he plays we have won more games than we lose. Funny that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jan 2023 10:55

Hound I’m not anyone is playing especially well at the moment which makes it hard to pick the side. Not playing terribly either mind you

Would be happy enough with 4-4-2 or a close variation of it. Whatever we do don’t think it’ll be too pretty this year. Struggling to find a team that inspires but a workman like

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Sarr NGW
Ince Loum Hendrick Azeez
Carroll Meite

Seems about as good as I can come up with. Obvs Ince won’t go for that left side but I’m not sure Junior ‘1 goal no assists’ is the answer either

Am sick of the 3 at the back and crap wingbacks though

Rahman is fine as a LB IMO. Not an exciting choice but adequate enough. Would actually be tempted to stick NGW further forward on the left instead of Azeez. Or even Fornah, seems to drift over there when he plays and gives us the option of changing to a 4-5-1 (and sticking Meite out wide) if we’re getting overrun

Thought Hoilett was really poor the last few games before the WC but with the obvious excuse. However he just hasn’t got better since and has become a passenger in the side - been subbed off the 60/65 minute mark three games in a row now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2023 11:28

Yeah could work moving NGW ahead of Baba. Certainly more likely that ince would go for that

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2023 11:54

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
In your opinion.

and equally many regard Holmes as a weak link and slow and Sarr has received positive comments from a couple of stellar performances. You do realise that when he plays we have won more games than we lose. Funny that.

But is that down to the player or is that down to the team? I wouldn't even say he's had a couple of stellar performances, he did well against Millwall and that's about it.

I know it very rarely works like this as the game becomes different, but for arguments sake, he's actually cost us a goal against Birmingham, Norwich, Swansea and QPR. Take those out and we'd be 5 points better off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2023 12:04

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
In your opinion.

No, not equally as many regard Holmes as a weak link. I haven’t seen any recent praise of Sarr and from a sample of six games, that's a pretty meaningless stat, assuming you've got it right in the first place.