275 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Manchester United (a)

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2023 12:27

When : Saturday 28th January 2023, 8pm
Where : Sir Matt Busby Way, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA
Capacity : 74,310

Manchester United next, to pick up some much needed cash, pretty pointless going otherwise (except for all the day trippers who'll put up with the stupid kick off time , ludicrous pricing and lack of public transport etc.)

Of course miracles can be sprung in football but the thought of a weakened Reading team going up to play even Man Utd's fringe first team is stuff of nightmares though, to be honest, even losing 1-0 would probably be seen as a success - let alone the week of celebration that would likely follow in Berkshire if Reading managed to score.

While Man United fielded a rather decent XI in the third round that was against Everton I'd expect a line up closer to that which they fielded in the earlier rounds of the League Cup. For example, when beating Burnley in December United fielded Dubravka, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro, Lindelof, Malacia, Eriksen, McTominay, Martial, Fernandes, Rashford and Garnacho. That lot would more than hold their own in the Championship and the dreadful capitulation at Stoke I have no doubt that Reading will remedy that and turn up but whether any attacking threat can be found remains to be seen.

There will be no risks taken with any Reading player, the slightest knock and they'll not play. So Tetek, Sarr, Moore and Carroll will all not play. Thinking though that it might be a game to let Ejaria play and hope he has a blinder in the "shop window".

Lastly I believe this is the first time Reading will be playing with the dreaded VAR in operation so when Meite scores that last second equaliser be prepared for the Reading effect which will mean the goal is immediately ruled out for a player sneezing or some other never seen before minor controversy. At least you can be sure that all of ManU's goals will be legal and above board.

Referee

Darren England

Previously

06 Aug 2022 > Reading 2-1 Cardiff City
13 Aug 2019 > Wycombe Wanderers 1-1 Reading (League Cup)
06 Oct 2018 > West Bromwich Albion 4-1 Reading
25 Aug 2018 > Aston Villa 1-1 Reading
13 Jan 2018 > Hull City 0-0 Reading

Historically

Reading have played 8 FA Cup games at Old Trafford and won precisely 0 of them, best results were 1-1 in 2007 and 2-2 in 1927. In that run Reading have managed 5 goals while conceding 19. Reading's last goal at Old Trafford was in the FA Cup though, when losing 2-1 back in 2013 (which will be 189 minutes ago when the game kicks off).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Watch on ITV4
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 28 Jan 2023 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Manchester United (a)

by Hound » 24 Jan 2023 12:47

Difficult to get too excited about this but nice for the players and suppose interesting to see them up against a genuinely good side with world class players

We’ll get humped but the million quid or so will come in handy

Utd will surely play near their strongest team with them looking v likely for top 4 but no more than that. Fa cup is a great opportunity for them

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2023 12:56

Would go with:

Lumley

Holmes
Dann
Mbengue

Abrefa
Hendrick
Loum
NGW

Ince
Azeez
Long

Bouzanis, Yiadom, McIntyre, Hoilett, Rahman, Fornah, Ejaria, Meite, Joao

Dann isn’t ideal but a bit of experience wouldn’t go amiss. Would ideally look to play with more energy and drive from the respective wingbacks and attackers. We can’t just play to contain the entire game as there’s no way we’ll hold on doing that

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 24 Jan 2023 12:57

It's a freebie really.

Regardless of the team we put out, if we play OK and limit it to maybe 1- or 2-0 we'll come out with some credit. Doubtless any youngsters put into the team will do pretty well and everyone will be full of praise for us.

If we do the unthinkable and win, it should galvanise the squad for the second half of the season if nothing else.

I'd actually quite like a draw, just for the inevitable TV money the replay would furnish us with.

traff

by traff » 24 Jan 2023 13:32

Lastly I believe this is the first time Reading will be playing with the dreaded VAR in operation so when Meite scores that last second equaliser be prepared for the Reading effect which will mean the goal is immediately ruled out for a player sneezing or some other never seen before minor controversy. At least you can be sure that all of ManU's goals will be legal and above board.

I think the last time we played them in the cup VAR gave them a pen, scored by Lukaku IIRC?

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 24 Jan 2023 14:37

You'll get smashed 10-0

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Jan 2023 15:58

Conservative_dad You'll get smashed 10-0

Think you're missing the point. It's a jolly and another half and half scarf for the collection.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Jan 2023 16:00

They would have to beat us by 19 - 0 to get the record for our biggest defeat in the FA Cup; 18-0 against Preston in 1894.

The last time any team scored 10 or more goals in an FA Cup tie was in 1995 when Shrewsbury beat Marine 11-2.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 24 Jan 2023 16:33

Green

Think you're missing the point. It's a jolly and another half and half scarf for the collection.

Maybe you're missing the point. I'm just trying to talk enough shit on the TB to try and get an element of jeopardy otherwise it's a pretty boring match-up (on paper)

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jan 2023 19:02

After witnessing the Stoke debacle I’d settle for losing by 4 goals or less. As long as we give it a go and show some pride that’s all I care about. The money we make will be a nice bonus for the club.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Jan 2023 19:23

Play the U18s.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jan 2023 19:34

I think we'll know more about what the United side will be after tomorrow when they play Forest in the league cup semi; as its away I'd imagine they'd field a fairly decent side.

And unless they've effectively won the tie tomorrow, with the second leg next Tues this could also come in to play, its their best chance of a trophy this season.

They also had a tough game late on Sunday away V Arsenal so three games in six days.

And re upsets it can happen, no doubt they had scouts at Stoke so that could have formed an opinion, and Darvill (6th tier) beat Aberdeen last night....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2023 07:51

Mid Sussex Royal I think we'll know more about what the United side will be after tomorrow when they play Forest in the league cup semi; as its away I'd imagine they'd field a fairly decent side.

And unless they've effectively won the tie tomorrow, with the second leg next Tues this could also come in to play, its their best chance of a trophy this season.

They also had a tough game late on Sunday away V Arsenal so three games in six days.

And re upsets it can happen, no doubt they had scouts at Stoke so that could have formed an opinion, and Darvill (6th tier) beat Aberdeen last night....

Darvel had home advantage though while Reading’s away form is hardly a thing of beauty.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2023 13:49

Tuanzebe might well make it for United but Dalot, Martial and Sancho are expected to be out injured.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2023 13:52

VAR referee will be Lee Mason

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Jan 2023 20:07

Holy shit … if Rashford plays at the weekend I’ll need to check our record defeat

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2023 15:42

Franchise FC Holy shit … if Rashford plays at the weekend I’ll need to check our record defeat

18-0, v Preston, 1894.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jan 2023 18:48

traff Lastly I believe this is the first time Reading will be playing with the dreaded VAR in operation so when Meite scores that last second equaliser be prepared for the Reading effect which will mean the goal is immediately ruled out for a player sneezing or some other never seen before minor controversy. At least you can be sure that all of ManU's goals will be legal and above board.

I think the last time we played them in the cup VAR gave them a pen, scored by Lukaku IIRC?

I'm putting a bet on that Holmes gives away the Penalty if he starts.....VAR is bound to pick up on him doing his usual rugby tackle on an attacker.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jan 2023 18:59

So what your saying is if Man U (I won't say United because there is a another united who look a better prospect long term and they are above you) if you don't win 10-0 United are shit...Mind you United do provide comedy...Anthony for starters.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2023 21:17

Ascotexgunner
traff Lastly I believe this is the first time Reading will be playing with the dreaded VAR in operation so when Meite scores that last second equaliser be prepared for the Reading effect which will mean the goal is immediately ruled out for a player sneezing or some other never seen before minor controversy. At least you can be sure that all of ManU's goals will be legal and above board.

I'm putting a bet on that Holmes gives away the Penalty if he starts.....VAR is bound to pick up on him doing his usual rugby tackle on an attacker.

That's a pretty solid bet, he is a little 'hands on' in the box.

275 posts