MATCHWATCH : Manchester United (a)

275 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Manchester United (a)

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jan 2023 11:30

For my tuppence-worth (and to probably repeat what’s already been written), expected far worse in regard to the scoreline.

Carroll should have been replaced prior to his sending-off
Joao put in a couple challenges in midfield, otherwise wasn’t there.
We defended rather well and for our lives, but wherever we cleared our lines to…there was a red shirt on the end of it to bring ot straight back at us.
We played better post substitutions and it was a simple but great goal. 3-2 would’ve been more fun, even if only to shut-up the fawning commentary.

24 shots, (of which the MotM was responsible for a most of ), only 6 on target helped out a bit.

We simply couldn’t compete

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jan 2023 11:46

AthleticoSpizz For my tuppence-worth (and to probably repeat what’s already been written), expected far worse in regard to the scoreline.

We defended rather well and for our lives, but wherever we cleared our lines to…there was a red shirt on the end of it to bring ot straight back at us.
We played better post substitutions and it was a simple but great goal. 3-2 would’ve been more fun, even if only to shut-up the fawning commentary.

24 shots, (of which the MotM was responsible for a most of ), only 6 on target helped out a bit.

100% this.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2023 12:21

AthleticoSpizz For my tuppence-worth (and to probably repeat what’s already been written), expected far worse in regard to the scoreline.

In commentary Lee Dixon repeatedly questioned why we didn't leave Carroll up front to give us an outlet and two Utd defenders something to think about. He pointed out that having Carroll drop into midfield wasn't really helping us at all and it was a waste of what Carroll has to offer. If he could see that, why couldn't our manager and coaching staff.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2023 12:27

RoyalBlue

In commentary Lee Dixon repeatedly questioned why we didn't leave Carroll up front to give us an outlet and two Utd defenders something to think about. He pointed out that having Carroll drop into midfield wasn't really helping us at all and it was a waste of what Carroll has to offer. If he could see that, why couldn't our manager and coaching staff.

The same thing happens in a lot of league games. Insufficient creativity leading to whoever is up front dropping deeper and deeper to try and get the ball. This issue should be very apparent to the management (esp. given they’ve said they want a couple more midfielders) but financial issues have prevented any worthwhile recruitment. Let’s hope it gets sorted in the summer and next season Reading can carry a decent threat no matter who the opposition is.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Jan 2023 12:40

blythspartan

100% this.

We never would have. Shows how much we need to improve if we ever want to become an established Premier League side in the future.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2023 13:28

RoyalBlue

Even my Utd friend was surprised we didn’t play Long or Meite, we obviously weren’t going get joy playing out from the back so at least if we hit balls down the channel and tried to get them running at and behind Slabhead and Lindleoff it might have seen better results.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jan 2023 13:52

RoyalBlue

I wonder if Lee Dixon has ever managed a side costing 50p and a packet of Walkers crisps play against a side costing billions? Whatever tactics we adopted there was only ever going to be one outcome. A battling 3-1 defeat when down to 10 men wasn’t too shoddy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2023 14:43

Sutekh
RoyalBlue

The same thing happens in a lot of league games. Insufficient creativity leading to whoever is up front dropping deeper and deeper to try and get the ball. This issue should be very apparent to the management (esp. given they’ve said they want a couple more midfielders) but financial issues have prevented any worthwhile recruitment. Let’s hope it gets sorted in the summer and next season Reading can carry a decent threat no matter who the opposition is.

Tbf, no point leaving Carroll high because the balls up are never accurate and he's never going to win a chase for them. Maybe he wins some headers that go straight to Utd, or chests it down and holds on, but then has no support v 2.PL CBs that he's not going to turn or get away from.

Carroll and Joao both require players up around them to bring into the game and that was never going to happen.

So for me the much more obvious thing is to throw on as much pace and work rate as possible. That means Long and Meite.

Ot even flood midfield more with Fornah and play Ince upfront to harry defenders and run the channels with Meite if Long isn't fit enough.

There is no play better and take the game to Utd without getting battered involving that starting XI. And other XIs aretenuous at best.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2023 14:48

Just gonna add in here that I think Hoilett deserves praise. Did better defensively than Rahman, and probably one of the most composed and reliable players on the ball. Showed really nice feet and presence under pressure a few times.

Could have scored, but it was a snap shot that he hadn't quite managed to steal exactly where he wanted it.

Plus did fine after gushing blood from his nose, which must have been sore, and oxf*rd up his breathing.

Well done Junior.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jan 2023 16:31

It will probably echo a lot of what has already been said but thought we did pretty well given the opposition, I don't think many players will come off feeling too disappointed other than Carroll for his red card really. It was always going to be a struggle.

Thought Hoilett did well for the first time in a while, Baba was also decent against a very good player. Holmes defended stoutly, McIntyre and Yiadom did ok and Mbengue did really well in both boxes when he came on (he needs to come back into our Staring XI for me). A tough game for the midfield and the two forwards who were chasing shadows for a lot of the game but didn't really do much wrong bar Carroll's few poor challenges.

We couldn't really get hold of the ball when it was turned over and didn't offer much of a threat, but pleased to have scored and obviously may have caused a bit of a stir if Fornah would have actually shot (god knows why he didn't), so good to see a reaction at 3-0 down and going a man down as well, a bit of character was pleasing to see, we can come back with some pride I suppose.

Lumley might be disappointed with the second and third goals. Having said that, the deflection off Holmes does take it away from him into the only place where he couldn't get to (although it looked poor at first) and Fred's flick was neat as well, but maybe could have been saved. Might be being a bit critical though.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2023 17:26

blythspartan
RoyalBlue

I wonder if Lee Dixon has ever managed a side costing 50p and a packet of Walkers crisps play against a side costing billions? Whatever tactics we adopted there was only ever going to be one outcome. A battling 3-1 defeat when down to 10 men wasn’t too shoddy.

Did the EFL authorise Walkers and not Tesco Own Brand ?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Jan 2023 17:53

Mr Optimist In my lifetime the only time we have got close to United in a game was the 1-1 league game at home and that is with our best ever team in our best ever season in terms of league position, 2006-7. We haven’t got close to laying a glove on them since.

That is what supporting Reading is all about, on the rare occasion when we do give a member of the footballing elite a bloody nose it makes it that much sweeter, that is our footballing world!

Disagree there have been a few close encounters. The 3-4 in 2012 was a bonkers game and could have gone either way. We played them 3 times that season and I don't think they beat us by more than one goal.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jan 2023 19:42

Lumley can only be faulted for the 3rd as no keeper likes to get beaten at near post but it was reactionary and not a lot you can do when it goes in place where only a goal could be scored.

Holmes and McIntyre had excellent games, much improved from previous week and more of the same please.

Surprised not more made of Bouzanis getting a run out. Very touch of the gaffer and actually he did well when he did come on. If only Fornah hit that shot with five to go, made for an exciting finish.

Game was crying out for pace. Joao appears to be toast here and won’t be disappointed if he’s gone before 31st.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2023 19:50

Don't think Lumley can get any particularly blame for the goals, but he was pretty ropey throughout.

Caught the ball behind the line from Rashford instead of blocking it... he clearly had no idea where the line was.
Pushed a shot straight out to a Utd player who someone contrived to not score thanks to some quick defending.
Palmed another one not completely safe from the danger area
Nearly had the ball taken off his toes by Erikson
Took too long being closed down at least once more
Hit two or three clearances low and flat that could easily have gone straight to a Utd player

And you'd like to think your keeper could maybe pull off something special for one of the goals he conceded. Went down a bit early for the first. Beaten by a backheel at his near post for the third, second was a long way out and the deflection didn't do much to change where the ball was going and took a little pace out of it. Not errors... but, not exactly making it really hard to beat him either.

He's just a bit average.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2023 20:35

Well, I’ve given myself 24 hours to think about Andy Carroll before posting.

Now I think he’s been a god for us so far, but yesterday was :shock:

The tackle on Eriksen was awful and he couldn’t have complained if that had been a straight red
The original booking was fair enough, he was late and aggresive
The second booking was all but unforgivable in the circumstances. I get that he was really trying but please that was just a complete brainfart

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 29 Jan 2023 21:03

I enjoyed last night…we played pretty well and weren’t disgraced. It was great to get a goal and we even had a couple of half chances to make it 3-2…
However, the most fun thing was how unbelievably sensitive the United fans were. ‘Stoke City scored 4’ really annoyed the ones next to the block I was in. They were so quiet for the majority of the game and talking to a few of them on the tram back to the car, you’d have thought we lost 8-0…

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2023 22:41

Kitsondinho I enjoyed last night…we played pretty well and weren’t disgraced. It was great to get a goal and we even had a couple of half chances to make it 3-2…
However, the most fun thing was how unbelievably sensitive the United fans were. ‘Stoke City scored 4’ really annoyed the ones next to the block I was in. They were so quiet for the majority of the game and talking to a few of them on the tram back to the car, you’d have thought we lost 8-0…

Apparently, the performance from Casimero was the most complete by any midfielder ever …. against a rag tag midfield of freebies, loans, etc. of a side that are 16th in the Championship
He’s good, but yesterday wasn’t a marker

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 29 Jan 2023 22:55

You were really, really poor.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 29 Jan 2023 22:59

Am actually a bit annoyed, we should have been more clinical and really put you to the sword.

Typical go 3 goals up (and 1 man) and then take it easy type of performance in the second

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jan 2023 00:58

Conservative_dad You were really, really poor.

We were but we were expected to be and to be honest we only lost 3-1

275 posts