MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

174 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by Hound » 04 Feb 2023 18:00

Dismal first half, excellent and entertaining second half

Looked a lot better when Fornah and Azeez came on. Azeez particularly looks good and could do that LWB spot

Everyone crap first half but definitely improved as the game went on and was an absolute sitter missed at the end there (Meite?)

Back 3 looked a bit dodgy but the wbs played well. Ince back to near his best, Hendrick lots better when he is scoring goals, Long did enough to warrant a regular start

Generally pretty encouraging. Can’t fault the teams spirit if the quality is a bit lacking. A well deserved point

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Feb 2023 19:07

Fair result but Watford are bang average. They won't make the top 6 in my opinion

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 19:18

Plenty of Premier £ players in their ranks Jimmy….a good result

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 19:35

Actually enjoyed that. The first 15 minutes were pretty dismal but then it picked up and we were playing ok without completely dominating. One defensive lapse and it fell apart at the end. Then another lapse straight away after the second half kicked off and it was a bit hairy for a while again. But we then forced ourselves back into the game in a much more entertaining half.

Lumley a bit suspect again. Holmes had an off day. Mbengue added some pace but I think we look more disorganised with him there... he'll improve with games in that area. Hoilett was excellent.

I really think our shape is all wrong. We've got the attacking talent to play three upfront or with two genuine wingers, but we'd rather play with five at the back and three fairly pedestrian midfielders. I know we leak a lot of goals, but if we took hold of games more and took the lead more often playing more of the game in the opposition half, I think we'd concede fewer.

Would really like to see us switch it up for a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 04 Feb 2023 19:36

From Despair To Where?
Sutekh New bloke starts

Fcuking hell, that picture makes him look like a Moai.

O dear not another one, shiny shoes, greasy hair, and nothing in between he seems like a nice boy but we need some real British grit in the team not more cheap foreign imports.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Feb 2023 19:38

AthleticoSpizz Plenty of Premier £ players in their ranks Jimmy….a good result

Good result given we were 2 down. Watford pissed up lots of money on garbage which is why they went down and no one has snapped up any of those players following their relegation. So I don't agree there. Money doesn't guarantee success, we learned that from overspending for years.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 19:44

Tbf, they look like they are heading for our post-£remier trajectory.

Must’ve spunked off £millions on managers over the years too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 19:46

Absolutely incredible they were so successful with such a crazy approach to managerial decisions.

They've been running the risk that one big oxf*rd up could send them back to L1 for a decade again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Feb 2023 20:12

Snowflake Royal Actually enjoyed that. The first 15 minutes were pretty dismal but then it picked up and we were playing ok without completely dominating. One defensive lapse and it fell apart at the end. Then another lapse straight away after the second half kicked off and it was a bit hairy for a while again. But we then forced ourselves back into the game in a much more entertaining half.

Lumley a bit suspect again. Holmes had an off day. Mbengue added some pace but I think we look more disorganised with him there... he'll improve with games in that area. Hoilett was excellent.

I really think our shape is all wrong. We've got the attacking talent to play three upfront or with two genuine wingers, but we'd rather play with five at the back and three fairly pedestrian midfielders. I know we leak a lot of goals, but if we took hold of games more and took the lead more often playing more of the game in the opposition half, I think we'd concede fewer.

Would really like to see us switch it up for a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3.

We certainly looked better going 4-4-2. Yids is a much better player in that formation
Azeez has bulked up. He had an excellent cameo. He needs to stay fit.
In the end a good point against a team who looked very poor defensively in the final 30 minutes.
Last edited by Zip on 04 Feb 2023 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Feb 2023 20:56

Azeez was brilliant today. I hope he gets a lot of involvement in the rest of the season

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Feb 2023 21:04

I thought Watford didn't really deserve their lead, so to get it back to 2-2 was some sort of justice, if only Meite could have taken his chance at 2-2.

They did seem to out work us and be a whole lot better at buying fouls from the utterly shit ref

Overall happy with a point after being 2-0 down

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Feb 2023 21:17

Awful first half, excellent second half - well last half hour.

Lumley excellent, great save from that one on one, shame they scored from the corner. Holmes was strong and liked how he got stuck in but argument can be said he should of been sent off. So much better when Fornah and Azeez came on - latter he is going to be some player, get him on a long contract and now.

New boy, game past him by and probably more suited for a debut against Blackpool rather than a Watford.

As always, grinding my gears about comments to referee and linesman with that decision. May of looked odd but they knew exactly what they were doing in terms of signalling and team work.

Decent point and edging towards survival.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Feb 2023 21:51

PieEater I thought Watford didn't really deserve their lead, so to get it back to 2-2 was some sort of justice, if only Meite could have taken his chance at 2-2.

I'd've liked that... an extra 15 points in the prediction league

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Feb 2023 22:09

I thought the officials did pretty well today.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 22:16

They’re only human, even the Watford fans aren’t moaning too much about their third goal that (obviously) wasn’t….if the Premier can do VAR and disallow goals minutes after everybody has celebrated the event…the lesser league officials should be able to re-assess things occasionally too…….

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Feb 2023 22:18

AthleticoSpizz They’re only human, even the Watford fans aren’t moaning too much about their third goal that (obviously) wasn’t….if the Premier can do VAR and disallow goals minutes after everybody has celebrated the event…the lesser league officials should be able to re-assess things occasionally too…….

Agreed Spizzeria.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2023 22:46

AthleticoSpizz They’re only human, even the Watford fans aren’t moaning too much about their third goal that (obviously) wasn’t….if the Premier can do VAR and disallow goals minutes after everybody has celebrated the event…the lesser league officials should be able to re-assess things occasionally too…….

It was a bit of a mess getting there, but it was the right decision.

Not sure if he got a touch, clearly interfereing with play anyway, but without a touch you often don't see it flagged.

I don't think I've even seen one given like that, even if the real reason was the ref and Lino conferring about touch and unsighting keeper, rather than Lumley throwing a wobbly

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 23:01

…harks back to Elm Park in the eighties

V Palace (maybe Leeds?) they scored a blatantly offside goal that was given by the referee…but the lino wasn’t happy (nor were we)…people/vocal power noise took over.

The lino rightly stood his ground (and wasn’t having none of it)..and with the protestations of the crowd…the referee eventually disallowed it.

That linesman was a local hero that day.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Feb 2023 11:19

There were a few on the bus back to the park & ride who were livid, going on about how it was a disgrace and they'd been robbed etc.

The only thing that was wrong was the linesman needing our keeper to complain before telling the ref it was offside.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Feb 2023 12:41

Hound Dismal first half, excellent and entertaining second half

Looked a lot better when Fornah and Azeez came on. Azeez particularly looks good and could do that LWB spot

Everyone crap first half but definitely improved as the game went on and was an absolute sitter missed at the end there (Meite?)

Looking at the replays I think he ended up snatching at his shot because he sensed the defender flying in with a last ditch challenge. Defender actually came very close to getting a touch on the ball too so may have actually blocked a lower shot.

174 posts