Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

165 posts

Do you want ince to continue as manager next season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 93
karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

by karbota » 14 Mar 2023 10:21

elrey Ince has a tendency to do well for a while and then completely fall off the wagon.

This year we've played 11 games, won two, against 20th and 22nd in the table. We've drawn two, against a team which sacked their manager and 19th.

I can't imagine anything from Blackburn, Hull have won 4 in 2023, they beat West Brom and drew with Coventry, so, probably another 1-0 or 5-0 defeat.

There are some winnable games in April, Wigan, Birmingham, and Huddersfield in May.... but the problem is this is so Ince. To start well and then fall down and down and down, even the easy games will not be easy any more. It's like he pushes the players so much that they can't perform after a while. It's like he got a little pick me up from the World Cup break, still lost to Birmingham, but then after about 4 games it all fell apart again.

I don't know who else would come in and do a better job.... it's a difficult one. We're just not the sort of club anyone would want to manage.

Phil Parkinson is a good shout.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2023 10:39

karbota
elrey Ince has a tendency to do well for a while and then completely fall off the wagon.

This year we've played 11 games, won two, against 20th and 22nd in the table. We've drawn two, against a team which sacked their manager and 19th.

I can't imagine anything from Blackburn, Hull have won 4 in 2023, they beat West Brom and drew with Coventry, so, probably another 1-0 or 5-0 defeat.

There are some winnable games in April, Wigan, Birmingham, and Huddersfield in May.... but the problem is this is so Ince. To start well and then fall down and down and down, even the easy games will not be easy any more. It's like he pushes the players so much that they can't perform after a while. It's like he got a little pick me up from the World Cup break, still lost to Birmingham, but then after about 4 games it all fell apart again.

I don't know who else would come in and do a better job.... it's a difficult one. We're just not the sort of club anyone would want to manage.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Mar 2023 10:49

I'm split on this. On one hand I'm grateful he came in when he did and formed a fighting mentality to keep us up against the odds; but on the other hand he's tactically all over the place, and so are our performances.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Mar 2023 11:07

Sounds like every manager we've had in the last decade.

I think this is the key point.

Fans have been conditioned now to have this knee-jerk assumption that for any downturn in form, the only remedy is to sack the manager. That's only going to work if you can get somebody in who is an obvious step up, and that's far from guaranteed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Mar 2023 11:17

tmesis

Sounds like every manager we've had in the last decade.

I think this is the key point.

Fans have been conditioned now to have this knee-jerk assumption that for any downturn in form, the only remedy is to sack the manager. That's only going to work if you can get somebody in who is an obvious step up, and that's far from guaranteed.

When the Murty rumour was going about over the weekend, people were sceptical because of his lack of experience. Whilst it's important, it's not the be all and end all, McCarthy and Warnock are hardly pulling up any trees at Blackpool and Huddersfield.

Murty would be a better choice with a younger squad, especially with him being involved in the youth set ups at Sunderland and Rangers and their success recently at churning through talent.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2023 12:58

No.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Mar 2023 16:57

We are the only club he has managed for a full year.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 14 Mar 2023 17:16

I definitely don't want to be seen to over-react, and I haven't got particularly strong feelings either way.

That said - I'd rather stab myself up the c0ck with a biro than watch Paul Ince's style of football for another season. Life is too short.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Mar 2023 18:34

Two wins should see us safe, even with the 6 point deduction!! However, you can see why Pince has never gotten past 1 season with the teams he has managed.
We are playing the worst football a can remember and i first started watching back in 1979!! This season will go down to the wire, we really are that bad at the moment.
Ten games to go, throw in an injury crisis and our dire negative tactics and then I'm scratching my head as to where these two wins will come from!!
The Hull game at the weekend is massive!! The team sheet for these next two game's will be a right chuckle fest....either so many square pegs in round holes and walking wounded or be brave and bring in some fresh legs from the academy and go for it!!!!

Whatever happens, its a big Ince out from me. However, i would like to see him get us over the line as per his remit and say a big thank you and good riddance.

Regarding his successor, i would have no issues with "Murty" getting the job. Everyone has to start somewhere!! Carrick's not doing to bad at Boro with his first splash in football management.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2023 19:37

Crowbar6753 Two wins should see us safe, even with the 6 point deduction!! However, you can see why Pince has never gotten past 1 season with the teams he has managed.
We are playing the worst football a can remember and i first started watching back in 1979!! This season will go down to the wire, we really are that bad at the moment.
Ten games to go, throw in an injury crisis and our dire negative tactics and then I'm scratching my head as to where these two wins will come from!!
The Hull game at the weekend is massive!! The team sheet for these next two game's will be a right chuckle fest....either so many square pegs in round holes and walking wounded or be brave and bring in some fresh legs from the academy and go for it!!!!

Whatever happens, its a big Ince out from me. However, i would like to see him get us over the line as per his remit and say a big thank you and good riddance.

Regarding his successor, i would have no issues with "Murty" getting the job. Everyone has to start somewhere!! Carrick's not doing to bad at Boro with his first splash in football management.

I can remember games in the late 70s too and would agree that things are bad on the pitch but don’t see it as the worse ever at the moment. Yes there are games that plough the very depths of shite but it’s not consistently dreadful.

For me Veljko’s last season was worse as was Bullivant and Branfoot’s last couple of seasons were pretty ropey too then there should be special ineptitude awards for Burns and Stam. Overall though Reading have been making monumentally ****** awful management appointments since Brian left for the first time and consequently there has been little or no entertainment in RG2 on the pitch for a decade now.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2023 19:41

Crowbar6753 Two wins should see us safe, even with the 6 point deduction!! However, you can see why Pince has never gotten past 1 season with the teams he has managed.

Agree two wins should do it even with the points deduction

Just got to try and win two games now !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Mar 2023 20:38

We will probably need 3 wins now at least and a couple of other points to be absolutely sure, although agree, the Hull game on Saturday is absolutely massive. Not expecting anything tomorrow, but if we can beat Hull on Saturday that would be a massive psychological boost going into the International break.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 15 Mar 2023 10:06

Sutekh Overall though Reading have been making monumentally ****** awful management appointments since Brian left for the first time and consequently there has been little or no entertainment in RG2 on the pitch for a decade now.

It really is quite poor.

Given Stam's very successful first season, that has to go down as a good appointment. Bowen was definitely an improvement on Gomes. McDermott v2 didn't work out, but I suspect it might have been OK if he'd have been given longer.

Other than that though, it's not great. Adkins for McDermott failed to avoid relegation and things never really got going the next season. Clarke has an almost identical record to Adkins, so was a fairly pointless replacement. Clement and Gomes were terrible. Paunovic and Ince both failed to deliver a long term improvement after an initial boost.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 15 Mar 2023 10:24

karbota

LOL

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2023 10:54

Crowbar6753 We are playing the worst football a can remember and i first started watching back in 1979!!

You have a poor memory then mate. You don't remember the crap we were playing under Bullivant, with no embargo and no restrictions? The rubbish we were playing before Mad Dog came and saved Parj, at a lower level with no embargo and no restrictions? Or even more recently the total BS that Pauno served up, despite having a superior squad?

Yes it's poor now (with embargo and restrictions) but I remember some very dark times.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Mar 2023 11:53

82/83 was no picnic from an entertainment point of view although the 7-5 at Doncaster was a shining light in an otherwise dreadful season … and still Kerry Dixon scored loads

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 12:07

We were worse at the end under Pauno, Gomes and Stam.

Bullivant.

Rodgers

Clement's start to the season.

Imo.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Mar 2023 12:58

Snowflake Royal We were worse at the end under Pauno, Gomes and Stam.

Bullivant.

Rodgers

Imo.

Agreed, the frustrating thing is the few times he has got the set up right we've looked decent.

For the life of me, I just don't understand why he seemed to throw out the tactics that saw us beat tonights opponents back in August. Win the ball high, often and you'll create chances by default. Am sure he'd say we haven't got enough players, or the right players to do that week in, week out but it didn't need to be an every game tactic but one that should have been deployed much more than it has esp as the sit in deep and do nother approach has clearly not worked.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 13:09

Stranded
Snowflake Royal We were worse at the end under Pauno, Gomes and Stam.

Bullivant.

Rodgers

Imo.

Agreed, the frustrating thing is the few times he has got the set up right we've looked decent.

For the life of me, I just don't understand why he seemed to throw out the tactics that saw us beat tonights opponents back in August. Win the ball high, often and you'll create chances by default. Am sure he'd say we haven't got enough players, or the right players to do that week in, week out but it didn't need to be an every game tactic but one that should have been deployed much more than it has esp as the sit in deep and do nother approach has clearly not worked.

Agree with all that.

Though if we go on a prolonged winless / losing streak and only pick up another half dozen points by season end, Ince will probably in amongst those others I mentioned. Not there yet though.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Mar 2023 13:17

Now up to 75% of fans not wanting him to stay on. Oof. Not looking good for him is it.

165 posts