by genome » 08 Mar 2023 00:59

NathStPaul
Brogue Moore on

Harsh, Ian is alright.

Bristol Paul

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h)

by Bristol Paul » 08 Mar 2023 07:52

fred sharpes nose We watch the same match - we see a different game

Enjoyed the game, thought we held our own against a better team. Sheffield didn't deserve to lose, we didn't deserve to win. Reckon their manager would've been ok with a point. Got the impression our guys didn't want to be shown up by the oppostion who put some nice moves together as did we on occassion.

Was great to see them play wide men on both sides hugging the touchline stretching the space - we seem so narrow in comparison

We were talking throughout the game about subs and couldn't really see anyone having a stinker and deserved hooking.

Inces subs - made us less effective. Thought Long and Carroll were linking up well sometimes, Long lots of energy chasing and movement. NGW doing fine ditto McIntrye and Hendrick given their limitiations. PInce as usual full of buzzing. Don't know why Long went off ditto NGW. Was pretty obvious after the goal we needed to do something so bring Azeez on left side but a bit late IMO. Thought Yiadom was struggling - most of time high up the pitch (he is a right back with occassional foray forward) with Holmes not looking totally happy at almost right back. NGW and Azezz could be a good partnership on the left. Square pegs square holes - Yiaddom to RB Holmes to centre and hook one of Sarr or Dann - Sarr for me as he seemed laboured. Think that's what all that was needed. But then we all want to be the manager but we are not.

So he brings on Joao for Long - made absolutley zero impact - didnt know what to do and where to be. Him and Carroll are basically playing in the same part of the pitch. The usual lazy Joao performance - he clearly does not want to be here (or under Ince?). Taking NGW off madness - he was a threat going forward.

Last two subs - Casadei and Moore totally pointless - booing of Moore realy crass.

An interesting challenge for the stattos or Tim Dellor - analyse the effectiveness of Inces substituions and timing thereof.

Ince to the end of the season - keep us up, nice bonus and thank you. Ince Out in the summer

Agree with all of this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2023 08:21

72 bus

Was great to see them play wide men on both sides hugging the touchline stretching the space - we seem so narrow in comparison

We have Andy Carroll but never get a cross in from wide, we have Shane Long but never play a direct ball along the ground into the channels for him to run the defender.
Clueless and you can see better organisation and football intelligence most Sunday mornings anywhere around the Reading area.
That's how bad last night was.

We played quite a few balls down the channel for Long last night, can think of at least 3 occasions where we did that with at least 1 nearly putting it on a plate for AC before a defender managed to nick it away, and I only saw the second half.

As for crossing, there was one absolute beauty in the second half where Yiadom just mistimed his leap else would have likely at least scored - was screaming out for AC to be attacking it, unfortunately, it was his cross. We do need to get more crosses in as AC forced the keeper into a decent save from about the only cross in to him from open play.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Mar 2023 08:51

I thought we were unlucky not to get something from the game, went toe-to-toe against a team likely to be in the PL next season, just a bit of quality in the final third let us down.

Don't think anyone was especially poor, the booing of Moore was a weird one to be honest. I can kind of understand it, but then it's well over a year ago so just get on with it, we've got him now for a couple of months so hopefully he can come into our defence and be an improvement on someone and he's an extra option if nothing else, hopefully the injury hasn't set him too far back. The only issue I've got with Moore coming in now is we don't really have time to get people up to speed, we need players to be fit now.

Noticed a couple of comments about a lack of open play crosses that I agree with, but also with us playing so narrow and deep without the ball, it can become difficult to transition to a side to play with width, although the on the occasions we had to cross we put a couple of good balls in.

Good application last night, we won't go far wrong against the rest of the division at home performing like that. Hopefully something similar against Millwall will mean we take at least something from the game.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 08 Mar 2023 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Mar 2023 08:52

:roll:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Mar 2023 08:56

I enjoyed the game tbh. One pass was the difference between the sides. However its got to the point were us having a shot on target is a good result these days so its not exactly a high bar.

Thought the subs were wrong, thought Azeez should have come on for Holmes and put Yids at RCB. The Moore sub was useless. Joao for Long, I kind of get it - save him for next game, get Joao more minutes a little bit something different.

Fair play the Sheff Utd - they pinged the ball about nicely looked very comfortable on the ball.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Mar 2023 09:04

It was a very good game of football. Sheffield United are a decent side and we pushed them all the way, by the way their players reacted at the end showed it was a big win for them and that we were unfortunate not to have nicked a draw.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Mar 2023 10:01

Enjoyed the game, thought we held our own against a better team. Sheffield didn't deserve to lose, we didn't deserve to win. Reckon their manager would've been ok with a point. Got the impression our guys didn't want to be shown up by the oppostion who put some nice moves together as did we on occassion.

We were talking throughout the game about subs and couldn't really see anyone having a stinker and deserved hooking.

Inces subs - made us less effective. Thought Long and Carroll were linking up well sometimes, Long lots of energy chasing and movement. NGW doing fine ditto McIntrye and Hendrick given their limitiations. PInce as usual full of buzzing. Don't know why Long went off ditto NGW. Was pretty obvious after the goal we needed to do something so bring Azeez on left side but a bit late IMO. Thought Yiadom was struggling - most of time high up the pitch (he is a right back with occassional foray forward) with Holmes not looking totally happy at almost right back. NGW and Azezz could be a good partnership on the left. Square pegs square holes - Yiaddom to RB Holmes to centre and hook one of Sarr or Dann - Sarr for me as he seemed laboured. Think that's what all that was needed. But then we all want to be the manager but we are not.

So he brings on Joao for Long - made absolutley zero impact - didnt know what to do and where to be. Him and Carroll are basically playing in the same part of the pitch. The usual lazy Joao performance - he clearly does not want to be here (or under Ince?). Taking NGW off madness - he was a threat going forward.

Last two subs - Casadei and Moore totally pointless - booing of Moore realy crass.

An interesting challenge for the stattos or Tim Dellor - analyse the effectiveness of Inces substituions and timing thereof.

Ince to the end of the season - keep us up, nice bonus and thank you. Ince Out in the summer

Agree with a fair bit of that although in theory, the Joao sub made sense. Where Long had a good game was running the channels, running in behind etc but as the game progressed, he became more tired and Sheffield dropped deeper. Both factors reducing his effectiveness. Joao is a better player in between the lines in congested spaces but he ended up doing very little (as has been the case most the season)

Wasn’t a huge fan of the NGW, Sarr, McIntyre triangle. On an individual basis, they all did OK but if a goal was to come, it was down our left hand side. NGW makes mistakes and the other two aren’t quick enough to recover. Energy is badly lacking from this side

Thought Sheffield weren’t great but then you don’t need to be to win games in the Championship. We know that from memory back from 2012. Fan of Norwood but thought he was the worst player on the pitch yesterday. N’Diaye is the equivalent of our Ince, main spark in the team and I thought the game was always going to be decided by one of those two, unfortunately falling their way

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Mar 2023 10:12

Stranded
72 bus

We have Andy Carroll but never get a cross in from wide, we have Shane Long but never play a direct ball along the ground into the channels for him to run the defender.
Clueless and you can see better organisation and football intelligence most Sunday mornings anywhere around the Reading area.

We played quite a few balls down the channel for Long last night, can think of at least 3 occasions where we did that with at least 1 nearly putting it on a plate for AC before a defender managed to nick it away, and I only saw the second half.

As for crossing, there was one absolute beauty in the second half where Yiadom just mistimed his leap else would have likely at least scored - was screaming out for AC to be attacking it, unfortunately, it was his cross. We do need to get more crosses in as AC forced the keeper into a decent save from about the only cross in to him from open play.

So three balls down the channels and one cross which was from AC who was out of position as usual.

You only saw the second half on TV ?
You really need to be there to witness how poor we are.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2023 10:22

Lumley had a decent game I thought. Prob most commanding I’ve seen

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Mar 2023 11:32

9897 were there.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 08 Mar 2023 11:32

I have seen us play worse than that at home this season and win. A draw would have been a fair result, but I thought any impetus we had going into the final stretch was lost when Joao came on for Long. Sheff Utd were functional at best, but Ndiaye is some player.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Mar 2023 12:12

The whole Liam Moore saga frustrates me. Why did P Ince see the need to throw him back in with just 2 months until his contract expires?

Why boo your own player? Dai Yongge threw him under a bus last year, why wasn’t he booed? In fact, the fact we are in this terrible financial state is down to the owner. So why does he escape Scot free every time he visits?

Looking forward to the truth coming out from Moore in the summer. And also looking forward to him coming off the wage bill

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2023 12:21

72 bus
Stranded
72 bus

So three balls down the channels and one cross which was from AC who was out of position as usual.

Apparently not, as we put in 23 crosses and 'favoured crossing the ball' according to stat sites.

I can remember multiple crosses from Holmes, NGW and Ince in the air, plus some.from Yiadom, Carroll.

Stat website has NGW and Ince putting in 6 each.

I sometimes think people see what they're used to seeing week in week out regardless of whether its true.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2023 12:24

72 bus
Stranded
72 bus

Apparently not, as we put in 23 crosses and 'favoured crossing the ball' according to stat sites.

I can remember multiple crosses from Holmes, NGW and Ince in the air, plus some.from Yiadom, Carroll.

Stat website has NGW and Ince putting in 6 each.

I sometimes think people see what they're used to seeing week in week out regardless of whether its true.

And before you say they were all set pieces, we had 3 corners and it records 7 fouls by Sheff U

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2023 12:45

Our best chances came from crosses. We did put a fair few in, but again the quality wasn’t always there

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2023 13:53

Hound Our best chances came from crosses. We did put a fair few in, but again the quality wasn’t always there

Yes quality needs to improve, and strikers need to be in the right places.

But felt much better than recently... Team stats suggest on average we cross 18 times a game, so definitely more than usual.

retro royal

by retro royal » 08 Mar 2023 15:24

Problem with most our crosses they have so much loft on the and little speed it's easy for the defenders, especially from Ince recently

178 posts