Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h)

by Hound » 11 Mar 2023 17:26

God sounds absymal. Glad I didn’t go

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2023 17:30

Hound God sounds absymal. Glad I didn’t go

Never mind, Hull next week, won’t that be fun?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Mar 2023 17:40

Abysmal. Just heard Paul Ince say on the radio that we didn't deserve to lose a game that we had 0 shots on target in.

Only woke up in the 65th minute and started to play with some pace and urgency, but it was far too late. It says something when our best cross of the game was from Liam Moore, a Centre Back.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2023 17:47

It didn't sound like it was a great game in terms of quality from either side, the stats would suggest that as well. There probably wasn't too much in the game, but you can't not be having a shot on target at home. We tried to change it and we injected a little bit more pace but with not much difference to the threat, seems almost like chalk and cheese to the game on Tuesday, yet we were "unlucky" to lose both.

A bad spell against some good teams that we simply just have to grind out. Blackburn is a free hit but they are a bit of a dodgy side as well where you don't really know what you'll get from them.

I would say switch to a back 4 but we don't have a LB that I'd completely trust. Getting less and less old on NGW each week, I just don't think he has the quality and TMac's pace is a problem in that area. A sad day when I'd prefer Rahman, but he's still probably our best LB.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2023 17:59

Orion1871 Only woke up in the 65th minute and started to play with some pace and urgency, but it was far too late. It says something when our best cross of the game was from Liam Moore, a Centre Back.

You have to wonder what Ince and his coaches work on with the players in training as there seems to be no intelligence used whatsoever. You have Carroll, you kick the ball at his head all game but you don’t set up with any width to a) play off the scraps he wins or to b) put the ball into the box for him to cause real problems.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 11 Mar 2023 18:03

Dann and sarr rubbish.

Mcintyre surprisingly still nowhere near being a championship midfielder.

Long and Carroll spent more time on the floor than on the ball.

Woeful

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Mar 2023 18:09

Still fairly confident we will stay up with Ince but he has got to go as soon as the season finishes, he is absolutely not the solution for the future.

Football is dire, his interviews are the ramblings of a mad man and he's out of ideas.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 11 Mar 2023 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2023 18:13

Had a lovely day in London catching up with Uni friends.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 11 Mar 2023 18:14

Can we have McIntyre back in defence please?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2023 18:26

skipper Can we have McIntyre back in defence please?

Mbengue needs to come back into defence really, possibly alongside Moore and Holmes at the moment. Yiadom at RWB but LWB/LB is the position that concerns me the most. Not confident with either TMac or NGW there.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2023 18:27

Snowflake Royal Had a lovely day in London catching up with imaginary friends.

Corrected for you.

:wink:

(Just kidding obviously, don't know you personally but 'know' you well enough here to know you'd take the joke. Couldn't resist. I need a laugh after that horrid performance!)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2023 18:27

skipper Can we have a defence please?

Corrected for you.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Mar 2023 18:28

I think we do look best with a back 5 but if we're going that route then we don't need a DM, especially not an out of position defender.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2023 18:30

tidus_mi2 I think we do look best with a back 5 but if we're going that route then we don't need a DM, especially not an out of position defender.

Yeah that really, it's got to be Hendrick and then one of Fornah or Casadei ideally. Play with a front 3 that can stretch the game in wider areas, Ince and Azeez it would have to be at the moment either side of Carroll.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2023 18:30

Millsy

Corrected for you.

(Just kidding obviously, don't know you personally but 'know' you well enough here to know you'd take the joke. Couldn't resist. I need a laugh after that horrid performance!)

Was it Dann, Sarr or Holmes who couldn’t keep up with the breakaway for the goal and also failed to make the foul Wdowczykesque?

I got the impression of Dann from bits and pieces I checked in for at the pub.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2023 18:39

It's so damned obvious what we need. Just some flipping service. Everyone has been crying out for it for yonks.

When Parj joined a similarly awful toothless team I remember him saying he had one target, which changed us overnight: simply get more crosses in. End of story. He argued that when you get crosses in, you'll put some of those away.

We know that lumping it up to Carroll doesn't work well enough. We know that we just don't have a midfield capable of creating chances, bar Ince every now and then doing something inspiring. And we know that we have one of the most effective strikers in the championship when balls are crossed in.

So why our whole focus in training isn't to keep things tight as possible but overload the wings as much as possible simply to increase crosses is beyond me. Azeez starts, Meite if fit starts. Tailor everything to getting it wide and every now and then 'surprise' them with a lump up the centre.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Mar 2023 18:40

It was Sarr

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2023 18:44

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Corrected for you.

Was it Dann, Sarr or Holmes who couldn’t keep up with the breakaway for the goal and also failed to make the foul Wdowczykesque?

I got the impression of Dann from bits and pieces I checked in for at the pub.

I think that was actually NGW.

But the fault was Sarr's. Insane pass to one of them on the halfway line which lead to the break.

A bit reminiscent of MBengue losing it high up, but at least he's fast enough to run back. Sarr made at least 3 very dangerous passes which lost us the ball and put us under pressure today.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Mar 2023 18:46

Royal_jimmy It was Sarr

Goal was Sarr's fault for sure. He gave the ball away, but I think it was NGW who didn't keep up properly. Of course Sarr also technically didn't keep up but he was so awful I wouldn't even call that slow run back a serioius attempt at "keeping" up at all. Nowhere near it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Mar 2023 18:59

The lack of posts on this match thread shows how bad the game was and how poor we were