MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a)

246 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a)

by Brogue » 16 Mar 2023 13:07

could we sustain a cat 1 (if we get it back) academy in league 1? not sure we could.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 16 Mar 2023 13:34

Ah the sun lit uplands of being relegated. Where all our academy become league ready and better than the established pros. The attendances get bigger and we become a better footballing side, all on a smaller budget with worse players to chose from....
Its the brexit argument all over again. Lets not pretend - it will be shit for everyone except a few of our youth who will showcase themselves to be decent and then get sold off / go on a free.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Mar 2023 13:59

Agreed with those that said we were a better watch last night but we don't half give the opposition chances as we have done all season .
It could have been something like 6-2 but somehow we managed to stay in the game with the occasional bit of good blocking and their attempts being a bit hurried and wayward.

We say it most seasons but this time this division is IMHO more moderate than ever with only Burnley looking to have a side that could stay up next season.
The likes of Luton, Coventry and Millwall have done so well with limited resources and we have done ok at home but a shambles away from home.

Hull are much improved of late so I expect Saturday's game will be tricky, if we lose the pressure mounts but if we win I would expect us to scramble enough points to stay up.

Who has Ince blamed for the loss last night?
Ref was ok,, not any contentious decisions, we didn't hit the woodwork so presumably the coach driver or the staff in their hotel affected the players, oh and I guess he will claim that we were the better team.

This really does feel like a long old season and as long as we stay up I guess most fans will be happy....................I couldn't immediately think of another word than happy so maybe a qualified "fairly happy, all things considered" might be more appropriate.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 14:04

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Anyone who we are giving minutes to in the Championship should be able to contribute.

That means
Abrefa
Azeez
Clarke
Clarke
Ehibhtiomhan
Craig
Leavy
Osorio
Andresson
Abbey

My apologies, I missed out Abbey who may be able to, but probably not yet. So Azeez, Abrefa and maybe Abbey.

We are giving these players minutes because our hands are tied, not because even half of that list is good enough. Andresson you say should be able to contribute yet he's made 3 appearances for Stevenage at his current loan spell and has played a handful of games at L1 level, for example.

If that's what you want to be relying on next season then, should we go down, then yes we could very well be drawn into another relegation battle.

They might be good enough with 2 or 3 seasoned pros added and a few youngsters from Premiership clubs.

I look at Coventry as a great example, I can’t name hardly any of their players but they’re one of best sides I have seen in the championship over the last 2 years.

Yeah they might be, but they won't all be good enough. And we say that but Coventry's best players are not those who have come through their academy either.

The one's I'm anticipating will be good enough are Azeez, Abrefa and Abbey. CBC you'd imagine will be but he's not at first team level yet. Sometimes I think people think because these players have the hype and potential to be good enough in the future, that means they should be thrown in now. P.Ince has made it clear that we play these players when they are ready.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 14:12

YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
My apologies, I missed out Abbey who may be able to, but probably not yet. So Azeez, Abrefa and maybe Abbey.

We are giving these players minutes because our hands are tied, not because even half of that list is good enough. Andresson you say should be able to contribute yet he's made 3 appearances for Stevenage at his current loan spell and has played a handful of games at L1 level, for example.

If that's what you want to be relying on next season then, should we go down, then yes we could very well be drawn into another relegation battle.

They might be good enough with 2 or 3 seasoned pros added and a few youngsters from Premiership clubs.

I look at Coventry as a great example, I can’t name hardly any of their players but they’re one of best sides I have seen in the championship over the last 2 years.

Yeah they might be, but they won't all be good enough. And we say that but Coventry's best players are not those who have come through their academy either.

The one's I'm anticipating will be good enough are Azeez, Abrefa and Abbey. CBC you'd imagine will be but he's not at first team level yet. Sometimes I think people think because these players have the hype and potential to be good enough in the future, that means they should be thrown in now. P.Ince has made it clear that we play these players when they are ready.

Obviously. But when we sign players they aren't all good enough either.

Ince may think that. But given how much he relied on Rahman, and used Mbengue out of position when he coukd use NGW or Abrefa who have been fine, I don't trust his judgement.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 14:25

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan

Obviously. But when we sign players they aren't all good enough either.

Ince may think that. But given how much he relied on Rahman, and used Mbengue out of position when he coukd use NGW or Abrefa who have been fine, I don't trust his judgement.

NGW hasn't been fine though, in recent times he's been worse than Rahman, but that's just my opinion. Abrefa for Mbengue I can kind of understand because Mbengue is better at CB, but I can also understand why he'd use Mbengue at full back/wing back as he's improved massively in general.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Mar 2023 15:11

Snowflake Royal Yes, because I'm definitely saying they should all be in our first XI
:| :roll:

The comments about Southwood are bonkers. He's been playing at L1 level or above for years.

You've only got to look at the players we've let slip as well, there's a huge list of Academy players we've produced who are L1 level or above.

Fosu, Stacey, Hyam, Dickie, Obita, The guy at Luton whose name I forget, Hector, Robson-Kanu, Karacan, Olise, Rinomhota, Hamer, McCarthy, Pearce... etc etc.

I'm sure in the next decade we'll produce another 10-20 players up to that standard. The problem is that we'd need them all next season, not over the next 10 years.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2023 15:43

NathStPaul
leon I fcuking hate this. All of it. It’s absolutely soul destroying supporting this shit club.

Huge plus 1.

It is a dead club, a shell of what it once was.

Yeah. My lack of interest in what's happening at the club this season has surprised me. I forgot Reading were playing last night and only found out the result this morning. If you'd have mentioned that happening to the Genome of ten years ago I would've laughed at you. Crazy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 15:50

tmesis
Snowflake Royal Yes, because I'm definitely saying they should all be in our first XI

The comments about Southwood are bonkers. He's been playing at L1 level or above for years.

You've only got to look at the players we've let slip as well, there's a huge list of Academy players we've produced who are L1 level or above.

Fosu, Stacey, Hyam, Dickie, Obita, The guy at Luton whose name I forget, Hector, Robson-Kanu, Karacan, Olise, Rinomhota, Hamer, McCarthy, Pearce... etc etc.

I'm sure in the next decade we'll produce another 10-20 players up to that standard. The problem is that we'd need them all next season, not over the next 10 years.

Even without a single signing we could go into League 1 with a squad something like this

GK: Bouzanis, Andresson, CBC
RB: Yiadom, Abrefa
LB: NGW, Clarke
CB: Holmes, Mbengue, Dorsett
CB: McIntyre, Sarr, Abbey
CM: Leavy
CM: Osorio
RW: Azeez, Scott
LW: Ince, Camara
ST: Carroll, Clarke
ST: Ehibhatiomhan

It needs some work, but not actually that much. Mainly midfield and striker.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 15:54

For me, I`m an old fart and have been a fan for as long as I can remember, but the last 6 years bar 1 have really taken it out of me,
If the deadline for buying STs for next year was tomorrow I would say fuck no.
Will I feel the same in June? I don`t know, I`m just so disillusioned with the direction this club, my club is heading right now.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 16:39

Snowflake Royal
tmesis

Even without a single signing we could go into League 1 with a squad something like this

But we would want to get promoted right? Not finish mid-table in League One. Half of the players on that list aren't even L1 level yet I'd say.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 17:35

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
tmesis I'm sure in the next decade we'll produce another 10-20 players up to that standard. The problem is that we'd need them all next season, not over the next 10 years.

But we would want to get promoted right? Not finish mid-table in League One. Half of the players on that list aren't even L1 level yet I'd say.

Which is why half of those players wouldn’t be playing regularly and you'd make some signings. It's a without changes starting point.

And the defence pretty darn strong for L1 to me.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Mar 2023 18:18

windermereROYAL For me, I`m an old fart and have been a fan for as long as I can remember, but the last 6 years bar 1 have really taken it out of me,
Will I feel the same in June? I don`t know, I`m just so disillusioned with the direction this club, my club is heading right now.

I agree with this and I won’t be renewing my season ticket this year. I shall go back to going to around 10 home games and 10 away games.

If we go down I shall look forward to away trips to Oxford, Swindon (hopefully), Pompey, Wycombe and Cambridge amongst others. I remember when promotion to the old division 2 was a distant dream.

I hope we stay up and we do have winnable games but I can’t see us winning more than 2 or 3 at best. Not sure that’ll be enough with the imminent points deduction.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 18:21

blythspartan
windermereROYAL For me, I`m an old fart and have been a fan for as long as I can remember, but the last 6 years bar 1 have really taken it out of me,

I agree with this and I won’t be renewing my season ticket this year. I shall go back to going to around 10 home games and 10 away games.

If we go down I shall look forward to away trips to Oxford, Swindon (hopefully), Pompey, Wycombe and Cambridge amongst others. I remember when promotion to the old division 2 was a distant dream.

I hope we stay up and we do have winnable games but I can’t see us winning more than 2 or 3 at best. Not sure that’ll be enough with the imminent points deduction.

The chances of a league trip to Cambridge next season are very very very slim.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Mar 2023 18:40

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

The chances of a league trip to Cambridge next season are very very very slim.

They might survive. I hadn’t realised how poorly Oxford are doing but Cheltenham look pretty safe. I always enjoyed tough encounters against Cambridge back in the 70s. I remember when they were a decent team and Dion Dublin played for them from memory.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Mar 2023 18:43

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Even without a single signing we could go into League 1 with a squad something like this

Which is why half of those players wouldn’t be playing regularly and you'd make some signings. It's a without changes starting point.

How many players could we sign though, given than the FFP restrictions in League One are even tighter - just 60% of turnover is allowed to be spent of salaries. And we could also be under another transfer embargo, stopping us offering longer deals again.

Premier League sides would also be less likely to loan us players, or at least less likely to loan us players of the standard we have now.

We'd also lose something like £5 million in tv money, I believe.

Under normal conditions, you'd certainly expect Reading to be among the top clubs in League One. We'd be there in nothing like normal conditions though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 19:21

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

How many players could we sign though, given than the FFP restrictions in League One are even tighter - just 60% of turnover is allowed to be spent of salaries. And we could also be under another transfer embargo, stopping us offering longer deals again.

Premier League sides would also be less likely to loan us players, or at least less likely to loan us players of the standard we have now.

Under normal conditions, you'd certainly expect Reading to be among the top clubs in League One. We'd be there in nothing like normal conditions though.

Good. We need to get our house in order.

When was our last truly successful PL loanee at this level... Martinez? Can't say I'll miss the standard of PL loanees we get now.
Transfer embargos are pure speculation. And if we're in one next season and its that bad we'll certainly be relegated from the Championship then, so why not get it done now.

It's not the end of the world. The club goes on. We play >46 games still. We've been there before, most of our history in fact. It's nothing to be scared of.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Mar 2023 21:51

Snowflake Royal
tmesis
Snowflake Royal

When was our last truly successful PL loanee at this level... Martinez? Can't say I'll miss the standard of PL loanees we get now.
Transfer embargos are pure speculation. And if we're in one next season and its that bad we'll certainly be relegated from the Championship then, so why not get it done now.

It's not the end of the world. The club goes on. We play >46 games still. We've been there before, most of our history in fact. It's nothing to be scared of.

How would having to get the salaries down to a level that would be difficult to meet get our house in order?

You don't think that might make putting together a competitive team rather more difficult than some assume?

The fear, with an owner who has already given up on two clubs, is that he'll go for the hat-trick, or maybe just lose interest.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2023 22:04

Perhaps I'm too naive but I do think we're too big to go out of business even if Dai just decided to bail.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 22:44

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
tmesis How many players could we sign though, given than the FFP restrictions in League One are even tighter - just 60% of turnover is allowed to be spent of salaries. And we could also be under another transfer embargo, stopping us offering longer deals again.

How would having to get the salaries down to a level that would be difficult to meet get our house in order?

You don't think that might make putting together a competitive team rather more difficult than some assume?

The fear, with an owner who has already given up on two clubs, is that he'll go for the hat-trick, or maybe just lose interest.

The sooner Dai goes the better. The only way our finances improve is by being forced, and they need to improve. I'm all for these wage caps. If Pompey and Wednesday can manage it, so can we.

246 posts