Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a)

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2023 23:45

Orion1871
RoyalBlue
NewCorkSeth Strongly disagree.

Me too. Would be disastrous for the club and League 1 is littered with 'big' clubs who have been unable to find their way back out. It would also cost a lot of non-playing staff their jobs. So give P Ince his P45 before they end up getting theirs!

And lose them their jobs anyway by having even more points deducted, which would definitely relegate us.

Sod off back to twitter.

Ignoring your insult, the reasoning behind your claim?

Pretty sure he can be removed without falling foul of FFP.

And if not, he could still be removed from first team affairs with very little realistic legal recourse, provided we continue to pay his monthly salary (which is already accounted for under the FFP restrictions) .

Listening to those who know something about professional football clubs would suggest that the majority feel it would be a disaster for the club were we to be relegated.

Ince is taking us in one direction only and in exactly the same manner that he did with Blackpool.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Mar 2023 23:56

72 bus
RoyalBlue

Me too. Would be disastrous for the club and League 1 is littered with 'big' clubs who have been unable to find their way back out. It would also cost a lot of non-playing staff their jobs. So give P Ince his P45 before they end up getting theirs!

I just want to rock up and see Reading play attractive attacking football for the price of my season ticket, the level is immaterial as long as the football is good to watch and we win more than we lose.
This version of Reading is turgid and out of it's depth in the championship.
I have a mate who is a season ticket holder at Wycombe, goes to every home game fully expecting a win or at least a good game of football.
When was the last time any one of us when to the SCLS as it's sadly now known expecting either of those two outcomes ?

Considering that we'll still have to rebuild from a very small squad in the summer, with even less money to spend on rebuilding than now, and even more incentive for our better players to leave, the assumption that we'd be going for promotion doesn't seem all that realistic. We'll probably still have a transfer embargo.

The big plus in going down would be a load of much better away trips, but being a bit crap in League One isn't going to be a huge upgrade on being crap in the championship. And watching home games in front of about 8000 at our place is horrible.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Mar 2023 00:17

72 bus SCLS

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Mar 2023 00:22

Exactly. I don't get why fans think we'll be guaranteed to be up there in league one. We'd probably be midtable

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Mar 2023 02:22

Uke
72 bus SCLS

Thanks mate, been out, You ?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Mar 2023 02:26

tmesis
72 bus
RoyalBlue

I just want to rock up and see Reading play attractive attacking football for the price of my season ticket, the level is immaterial as long as the football is good to watch and we win more than we lose.
I have a mate who is a season ticket holder at Wycombe, goes to every home game fully expecting a win or at least a good game of football.
When was the last time any one of us when to the SCLS as it's sadly now known expecting either of those two outcomes ?

Considering that we'll still have to rebuild from a very small squad in the summer, with even less money to spend on rebuilding than now, and even more incentive for our better players to leave, the assumption that we'd be going for promotion doesn't seem all that realistic. We'll probably still have a transfer embargo.

The big plus in going down would be a load of much better away trips, but being a bit crap in League One isn't going to be a huge upgrade on being crap in the championship. And watching home games in front of about 8000 at our place is horrible.

We had better than that in L1
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/read ... /2001-2002

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Mar 2023 06:24

paultheroyal
Jackson Corner It’s all so demoralising every game every week another defeat. Just can’t see how it will ever change. We have owners who never watch us play. A proven failure of a manager and a team of has beens, dwindling crowds. I really can’t think of any reason why I should bother going on Saturday.

The team are in real trouble. The players need the supporters to back them to get them over the line. It’s turgid, it’s depressing, but as a supporter we all need to step up, play our part and get those 4 wins required to stay up!

I will be there and I will get behind the team I always do just all so depressing right now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Mar 2023 07:25

72 bus
tmesis
72 bus I just want to rock up and see Reading play attractive attacking football for the price of my season ticket, the level is immaterial as long as the football is good to watch and we win more than we lose.

We had better than that in L1
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/read ... /2001-2002

Actually overall attendances in division 3 were pretty much on a par with the overall attendances last season so it would seem the club don’t really get any more through the turnstiles for being successful at a lower level than they do for being cr@p in the division above and I think I’d rather be cr@p in the division above.

And is it really better going to Accrington season after season than going to Preston or trading QPR for Portsmouth?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:44

Yeah I'd much rather be playing a division above. I don't want to be playing categorically worse teams with no guarantee of any sort of success.

I thought we were unlucky last night. It's mistakes for goals again and transition which seems to be killing us. People want us to try and play with the ball more, but in our last 3 games we've conceded 3 goals from giving the ball away in bad areas/getting beaten on transitions and ultimately it's why we've lost those games as well.

Definitely some more winnable fixtures in our last 9 bar Burnley. If we can perform and stay in games like we have in recent games, a bit more quality in the final third (which we might get against lower quality sides) and we will pick up points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:49

Hound
NewCorkSeth
72 bus
Dropping down is the only way to reset this club, staying in the championship means a good few more seasons watching shit like this till we somehow rebuild a decent squad.
No more 30+ past their best players, no more loanees that don't give a shit about the club.
Start again.

Strongly disagree.

Yeah no benefit at all to going down

How about winning more games, playing more attractive football, finishing higher in the table, attracting back fans and rebuilding a culture of positivity and winning rather than toxic failure?

And seeing more of the Academy talent at a level they have more chance of excelling?

Loads of benefits.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:54

Snowflake Royal
Hound

How about winning more games, playing more attractive football, finishing higher in the table, attracting back fans and rebuilding a culture of positivity and winning rather than toxic failure?

And seeing more of the Academy talent at a level they have more chance of excelling?

Loads of benefits.

There is no guarantee of any of that and I can't imagine that, over a course of the season, we'd attract more fans back to the stadium either because we are playing at a lower level.

We can quite comfortably continue to build a culture in the Championship, we don't have to drop down a level to do any of those things listed. It just makes it a more difficult task to get back to where we are now.

We've played plenty of academy players at this level and developed them and I'd expect we'd continue to see that again next season and in the long-term as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:58

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Loads of benefits.

There is no guarantee of any of that and I can't imagine that, over a course of the season, we'd attract more fans back to the stadium either because we are playing at a lower level.

We can quite comfortably continue to build a culture in the Championship, we don't have to drop down a level to do any of those things listed. It just makes it a more difficult task to get back to where we are now.

We've played plenty of academy players at this level and developed them and I'd expect we'd continue to see that again next season and in the long-term as well.

There's no guarantee of anything. Those things are far more likely in L1 than Chump though.

And a change is as good as a rest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Mar 2023 09:09

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Loads of benefits.

If you can guarantee that would happen, which you can't, then relegation may just be worthwhile. I really do not want relegation but it does feel that it may be the only way to close the door or this depressing chapter. My concern is, I have no idea if the next chapter would be more positive or take a dark twist.

Anyway on to last night - thought we did OK without being brilliant - around the time we scored we looked the better team but the goals sum up our season.

Our corner, tackle/clearance from Holmes stops initial break but as it was fairly poor allows a 3 on 1 - in the 2nd minute! - Mbengue gets back and gets something on the ball but typically goes straight on the chest of BBD, who picks his spot wonderfully. Less said about letting a guy have all the time in the world to backheel a through ball the better.

Looking at our run in and it is now not too bad and think they can be grouped as such:

Potential wins: Hull, Brum, Wigan, Huddersfield
Likely/possible draws: Luton, PNE, Bristol
Defeats: Burnley, Coventry

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 09:31

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal How about winning more games, playing more attractive football, finishing higher in the table, attracting back fans and rebuilding a culture of positivity and winning rather than toxic failure?

Loads of benefits.

There's no guarantee of anything. Those things are far more likely in L1 than Chump though.

And a change is as good as a rest.

The only thing that I'd say is far more likely would be a higher finish and more wins, but against weaker opposition.

Nothing else we could say with any sort of certainty would happen in a lower division and, as Stranded has mentioned, we've got no idea that the next chapter would be positive either and I don't have much confidence that it would be either.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Mar 2023 09:50

If relegation would be so good why do we try for promotion every year?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Mar 2023 10:01

Talk of going down and it will be better is just utterly pathetic.

Simple fact is, we do our utmost to win 3 games and nick a draw, we can salvage championship football, and build again as a continued established championship club. We need to back the team to get us over the line.

If Ince is moved out i can only see him being replaced by a Bowen and Hunt partnership.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2023 10:22

I probably should have realised this sooner but Twitter comments shouldn't be taken seriously. Everyone talking about how terrible we were when subjectively we played a lot better against a team near the top of the league in good form. Realistically we would have expected a loss and most people, myself included, were predicting heavy defeats.

Defence was suspect but I think we all realise that area needs big improvements.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Mar 2023 10:26

Marked improvement last night from the last couple of months. For the first time in a while away from home, we engineered some patterns of possession and IMO came down to having some form of midfield balance

Been said for a number of years but the midfield balance has been so poor for a while now. It’s a really important factor and we consistently get it wrong. Hendrick and McIntyre don’t work as a duo (miles too workmanlike with the dearth of exuberance around them in the team). But it’s been a problem for years, from Clement (lining up Kelly and Swift in the same midfield), Gomes (using Swift and Ejaria in a three man midfield) to more recently, Paunovic and to a lesser extent Bowen cramming in as many midfielders as possible, it hasn’t made for good viewing

With Loum holding, Hendrick as the box to box and Casadei as the creative spark, there were three clear identifiable roles and it makes such a difference. Not sure anyone (aside from Hutchinson) can really replicate Loum’s role but I guess McIntyre is the best option for now

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Mar 2023 10:27

paultheroyal Talk of going down and it will be better is just utterly pathetic.

Simple fact is, we do our utmost to win 3 games and nick a draw, we can salvage championship football, and build again as a continued established championship club. We need to back the team to get us over the line.

If Ince is moved out i can only see him being replaced by a Bowen and Hunt partnership.

Sounds like great fun.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 10:28

tidus_mi2 I probably should have realised this sooner but Twitter comments shouldn't be taken seriously. Everyone talking about how terrible we were when subjectively we played a lot better against a team near the top of the league in good form. Realistically we would have expected a loss and most people, myself included, were predicting heavy defeats.

Defence was suspect but I think we all realise that area needs big improvements.

Yep, I don't even think we've been that bad in the last 3 games. Millwall was bad to not have a shot on target at home, but was there not 1 shot on target in the whole game which was the penalty? It was just a poor quality game of football where one mistake has lead to the goal. Sheffield United was one mistake with the ball, last night's opener was from our corner etc. Transition and giving the ball away too cheaply has killed us, I wouldn't say we've disgraced ourselves by any means.

We all know that we perform "better" and pick up results against those sides around us/below us, for which that is most of our remaining games. We just have to keep battling, a couple of wins in our next 3/4 fixtures and we will be ok.

246 posts