MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h)

213 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2023 21:58

Hound I’d suggest there is zero chance of ince getting sacked anytime soon

As it is, he is doing the job he was asked to do

He's achieving the outcome he was asked for, he's certainly not doing the job.

But for now, agreed about his chance of being sacked, and there's oxf*rd all other option. But that shouldn't make us pretend he's looking anything but an outright bad manager right now.

In our last 12 matches, we've picked up 9 points, of which, 6 have come against Blackpool and Rotherham. That's not just relegation fight form, it's certain relegation form and not good enough, especially with a points deduction incoming it puts us in real danger. And it doesn't look likely to improve with the next three games being away to Bristol and Preston, who are better than us and in better form than us, and home against Birmingham who are similar. And those are the easy ones.

Ince did little to show he should be our manager this season at the end of last season, and he's done absolutely nothing since early December to show he's up to it next season. If we go down I suppose we may as well see what he can do although we won't, but if we survive he should be out the door immediately.

And I really don't like his attitude under pressure when things are going wrong.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Mar 2023 21:59

Snowflake Royal
tmesis When the injuries pile up, results nearly always take a downturn, and confidence suffers. The players look scared of making mistakes, and that shows in the amount of negative balls we play around the area.

In fact I'd say our game was summed up by that last gasp free-kick. It could have been swung into the box, but instead it was played sideways to a player who wasn't better placed to do anything with it. Players are not taking responsibility.

Yes, Paul Ince is definitely too cautious at times, but a new manager won't fix the problem of our threadbare squad.

That said, if the club was to get trigger-happy again, now would be the best time, with two weeks until the next game. We have seven games in April, and that's not the kind of spell where you want a lot of upheaval.

A couple of weeks ago the squad was far from threadbare. We're not even remotely making the best use of what is actually there. And the constant insistence on playing people out of position and in combinations that can't cover each other well, plus negative tactics forcing us to be under pressure and at last resort constantly is almost certainly contributing to the number of injuries we pick up.

I have to say, I can't think of many obvious reasons why playing out of position would make a player more likely to be injured.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2023 22:04

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
tmesis When the injuries pile up, results nearly always take a downturn, and confidence suffers. The players look scared of making mistakes, and that shows in the amount of negative balls we play around the area.

In fact I'd say our game was summed up by that last gasp free-kick. It could have been swung into the box, but instead it was played sideways to a player who wasn't better placed to do anything with it. Players are not taking responsibility.

Yes, Paul Ince is definitely too cautious at times, but a new manager won't fix the problem of our threadbare squad.

That said, if the club was to get trigger-happy again, now would be the best time, with two weeks until the next game. We have seven games in April, and that's not the kind of spell where you want a lot of upheaval.

A couple of weeks ago the squad was far from threadbare. We're not even remotely making the best use of what is actually there. And the constant insistence on playing people out of position and in combinations that can't cover each other well, plus negative tactics forcing us to be under pressure and at last resort constantly is almost certainly contributing to the number of injuries we pick up.

I have to say, I can't think of many obvious reasons why playing out of position would make a player more likely to be injured.

Take McIntyre. He's a centreback asked to play wingback. That involves getting up and down the wing. He's built for strength and power, not pace and agility. He's not quick. He's uncomfortable out there. Not as familiar with what he needs to be doing. Turned inside out. Playing on the edge trying to get there.

Needle

by Needle » 18 Mar 2023 22:41

Not been as annoyed with the home “support” as I was today for oxf*rd ages. Entitled morons all around me in 1871.

It’s not great football but let’s remember where we expected to be at the start of the season. This is what we signed up for when we bought out tickets. I’d bite your hand off for ten points clear of the drop - and that’s what his tactics and selections have got us.

We’ve no right to expect to beat “teams like” Hull. Teams which have been assembled and developed over several seasons, however badly. Ince & co had to scramble to build a team, budgetless, in one window.

The six points* is not PInce’s fault.

Our home form has been amazing. 4th best in the league before Millwall. So to chant “We want Incey out” and “Sacked in the morning“ as soon as we conceded was pathetic.

Then we equalised. But weren’t winning. So the morons start calling for a sub, with half an hour to go. When we’d made two injury subs in the first half. Only a oxf*rd idiot would throw Azeez on with 30 minutes left and hope we don’t pick up another knock.

I’ll allow the fury at the last free kick. That was mental.

Probably not the man for the future but let’s give the guy a break, show a bit of gratitude and respect.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2023 22:51

101% that Needle

Sometimes I despair of our ‘so-called own’ here on this very site.

As for 1871?…herd-following…but that’s football fans since Bobby Charlton started his comb-over :wink:

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 18 Mar 2023 22:56

Some positives from today's game are Andy Carroll's stunning goal, the passion shown by Tom Ince, and only a couple of players taking the knee.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2023 22:59

karbota Some positives from today's game are Andy Carroll's stunning goal, the passion shown by Tom Ince, and only a couple of players taking the knee.
The way things are with Injuries etc, glad to see them being able to get back up from them (the knee) again etc etc

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Mar 2023 01:23

Needle Not been as annoyed with the home “support” as I was today for oxf*rd ages. Entitled morons all around me in 1871.

It’s not great football but let’s remember where we expected to be at the start of the season. This is what we signed up for when we bought out tickets. I’d bite your hand off for ten points clear of the drop - and that’s what his tactics and selections have got us.

We’ve no right to expect to beat “teams like” Hull. Teams which have been assembled and developed over several seasons, however badly. Ince & co had to scramble to build a team, budgetless, in one window.

The six points* is not PInce’s fault.

Our home form has been amazing. 4th best in the league before Millwall. So to chant “We want Incey out” and “Sacked in the morning“ as soon as we conceded was pathetic.

Then we equalised. But weren’t winning. So the morons start calling for a sub, with half an hour to go. When we’d made two injury subs in the first half. Only a oxf*rd idiot would throw Azeez on with 30 minutes left and hope we don’t pick up another knock.

I’ll allow the fury at the last free kick. That was mental.

Probably not the man for the future but let’s give the guy a break, show a bit of gratitude and respect.

100% delusional bullshit.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Mar 2023 08:23

AthleticoSpizz
karbota Some positives from today's game are Andy Carroll's stunning goal, the passion shown by Tom Ince, and only a couple of players taking the knee.
The way things are with Injuries etc, glad to see them being able to get back up from them (the knee) again etc etc

Glad to see it's been given the elbow.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Mar 2023 08:25

Meanwhile Parky wins again, heard a rumour secret talks are in progress.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 19 Mar 2023 08:50

Tom Ince is a petulant idiot, never takes responsibility and blames everyone else when something goes wrong, just like his old man.
Wouldn't call that passion when he booted the ball away, it was stupidity and was lucky not to get booked. Some managers might of hooked him for that.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Mar 2023 08:53

MR.CYNICAL Tom Ince is a petulant idiot, never takes responsibility and blames everyone else when something goes wrong, just like his old man.
Wouldn't call that passion when he booted the ball away, it was stupidity and was lucky not to get booked. Some managers might of hooked him for that.

No one was getting booked for kicking the ball away yesterday. Hull kicked it away multiple times and the referee did nothing about it.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 19 Mar 2023 09:09

There's a difference between kicking the ball away and booting it almost into orbit from the halfway line ending up with our keeper!

Ricardo

by Ricardo » 19 Mar 2023 10:13

I can’t stand the Ince father son set up at the club right now.
I think Tom is a petulant self important twat the way he berates his team mates the way he does when they make a mistake. Let’s face it he’s not been great in recent weeks and is prone to many poor decisions himself.
He would have got his head ripped off if he behaved that way with past players like Steve Sidwell, Terry Hurlock or Mick Tate.
His behaviour yesterday was embarrassing and pathetic. Any decent manager would have dragged him off.
With the situation the club is in at the moment the last thing it needs is an idiot like Tom Ince disrupting the changing room.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2023 11:14

Shame he’s the main (only?) reason we aren’t already in the bottom 3 really isn’t it?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Mar 2023 11:22

Hound Shame he’s the main (only?) reason we aren’t already in the bottom 3 really isn’t it?

Yeah, and it can’t be any fun knowing that your father is doing a shit job and is likely to get the boot so I guess the guys under pressure himself.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Mar 2023 11:51

Hound Shame he’s the main (only?) reason we aren’t already in the bottom 3 really isn’t it?

Might be even further away from the bottom three if he could work out that a free kick in the dying seconds of a game should go into the box.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2023 12:09

Orion1871

Might be even further away from the bottom three if he could work out that a free kick in the dying seconds of a game should go into the box.

Well yeah he certainly isn’t faultless and not been great recently - but seem to remember him being very instrumental in our last win

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Mar 2023 12:33

Can't be a great feeling in the squad with the manager constantly telling you all you aren’t good enough for the division, whilst his son berates you for any error on the pitch, hiding from his own and being untouchable.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Mar 2023 12:44

Snowflake Royal Can't be a great feeling in the squad with the manager constantly telling you all you aren’t good enough for the division, whilst his son berates you for any error on the pitch, hiding from his own and being untouchable.

This definitely feels like the vibe in the squad. It isn't healthy at all but then it's worked for much of the season some how

213 posts