The squad in July

644 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The squad in July

by Ascotexgunner » 26 May 2023 18:28

Linden Jones' Tash I don't know, but I did read somewhere that his 3 year Reading deal in the championship wasn't too shabby - but then that article had Hendrick on £50kpw as our highest paid player and presumably we only paid a fraction of that.

Given our predicament, a nominal release clause + a drop due to relegation seems right

Baba Rahman was on 80k pw and he was the highest paid player in the EFL .....but we only paid 2k a week apparently. Chelsea pay the rest.
Ironically Adrian Durham did say on radio we were paying 30k a week to Hendrick....it couldn't be true because of the restrictions we were under.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 May 2023 18:47

Ascotexgunner
Linden Jones' Tash I don't know, but I did read somewhere that his 3 year Reading deal in the championship wasn't too shabby - but then that article had Hendrick on £50kpw as our highest paid player and presumably we only paid a fraction of that.

Given our predicament, a nominal release clause + a drop due to relegation seems right

Baba Rahman was on 80k pw and he was the highest paid player in the EFL .....but we only paid 2k a week apparently. Chelsea pay the rest.
Ironically Adrian Durham did say on radio we were paying 30k a week to Hendrick....it couldn't be true because of the restrictions we were under.

£30k for Hendrick was probably how much Newcastle were paying him (he was on loan, which Durham obviously didn't know), rather than how much we were paying him.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 May 2023 19:57

Clyde1998
Stranded
One8Seven1*
£50,000? Who the hell agreed to such a small release fee like that? :|

The only way around that now is to offer him a new improved contract, but they'll be a few Championship clubs lining up when they learn he's available for peanuts.

We had no leverage at all and Ince may well have got a better deal elsewhere, adding a clause like that was likely one of the only ways to sign him. No problem with it to be honest given the circumstances we were working in.

I've got no problem with Ince going regardless of the fee. We're in a better position to get players in and I'd rather we had players who have the right attitude.

One of our big issues since Madejski sold the club has been us signing players with the wrong attitude for a club like ours (even before the transfer embargoes) - Guthrie, Drenthe, Meyler, Joao all spring to mind as players who wouldn't give everything to the club and all underperformed as a result. Our most successful teams have been filled with players who would give everything - even if they weren't technically or physically the best players.

Agree but pretty sure Brian signed Guthrie when SJM was still in charge

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 May 2023 21:31

Mid Sussex Royal
Clyde1998
Stranded
We had no leverage at all and Ince may well have got a better deal elsewhere, adding a clause like that was likely one of the only ways to sign him. No problem with it to be honest given the circumstances we were working in.

I've got no problem with Ince going regardless of the fee. We're in a better position to get players in and I'd rather we had players who have the right attitude.

One of our big issues since Madejski sold the club has been us signing players with the wrong attitude for a club like ours (even before the transfer embargoes) - Guthrie, Drenthe, Meyler, Joao all spring to mind as players who wouldn't give everything to the club and all underperformed as a result. Our most successful teams have been filled with players who would give everything - even if they weren't technically or physically the best players.

Nope, the penniless Russian was "in charge".

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 06:52

Orion1871
Mid Sussex Royal
Clyde1998 I've got no problem with Ince going regardless of the fee. We're in a better position to get players in and I'd rather we had players who have the right attitude.

Correct, he joined in July 2012 when SJM only owned 49% of the club.

Drenthe, Joao that sort of approach is just their game so you know what you're going to get up front, with Meyler think he'd lost his "mojo" with the game, then got injured and that was that. Anyone remember the 5 games he played in? :shock: yes he actually played in 5 games (presumably all at the start of 18/19).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 13:05

Sutekh
Orion1871
Mid Sussex Royal

Correct, he joined in July 2012 when SJM only owned 49% of the club.

Drenthe, Joao that sort of approach is just their game so you know what you're going to get up front, with Meyler think he'd lost his "mojo" with the game, then got injured and that was that. Anyone remember the 5 games he played in? :shock: yes he actually played in 5 games (presumably all at the start of 18/19).

Yes, I remember he looked like solution to our midfield problems in his first game, then a pub player in the rest.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2023 18:11

Reports that Genoa have stumped up the £3.5m for Puscas

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2023 18:19

genome Reports that Genoa have stumped up the £3.5m for Puscas

Yeah very handy money that

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2023 18:27

I see Southampton have released Walcott would he be worth a year’s contract?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2023 18:29

If you want to blow all the Puscas money on wages!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2023 18:30

blythspartan I see Southampton have released Walcott would he be worth a year’s contract?

In some ways it might work but kind of want to move from people at the end of their careers coming in

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2023 18:38

Hound
blythspartan I see Southampton have released Walcott would he be worth a year’s contract?

In some ways it might work but kind of want to move from people at the end of their careers coming in

Yeah, I know what you mean I do feel the same, but just thought that if he was cheap his experience could help the younger players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2023 19:03

Hound

This

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 31 May 2023 19:30

Phenomenal getting £3.5m for Puscas, even if it won’t all be up-front. It’s much needed, plus the £1m for Luca Fletcher if his move goes ahead to Man City.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2023 19:39

PATRIQT Phenomenal getting £3.5m for Puscas, even if it won’t all be up-front. It’s much needed, plus the £1m for Luca Fletcher if his move goes ahead to Man City.

One of the rare recent examples of one of our ‘gambles’ working. Had he come back here we’d struggle to have got 1m for him in last year of contract etc

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 May 2023 20:27

Sutekh On 1st July Reading's first team squad is currently scheduled to comprise the following:

1. Nelson Abbey
  2. Kelvin Abrefa
  3. Jokull Andresson
  4. Femi Azeez
  5. Dean Bouzanis
  6. Andy Carroll
  7. Mamadi Camará
  8. Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan
  9. Ovie Ejaria
  10. Sam Hutchinson
  11. Tom Holmes
  12. Tom Ince
  13. Amadou Mbengue (technically out of contract this summer but has a 1 year option, which I'm fairly sure the club will take up)
  14. Tom McIntyre
  15. George Puscas (off to Genoa if they get promoted)
  16. Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr
  17. Andy Yiadom

That's 16 left after Puscas goes.

Where's Luke Southwood? Shirley he will start in goal next season?

Rax

by Rax » 31 May 2023 20:46

Ascotexgunner
Sutekh On 1st July Reading's first team squad is currently scheduled to comprise the following:

1. Nelson Abbey
  2. Kelvin Abrefa
  3. Jokull Andresson
  4. Femi Azeez
  5. Dean Bouzanis
  6. Andy Carroll
  7. Mamadi Camará
  8. Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan
  9. Ovie Ejaria
  10. Sam Hutchinson
  11. Tom Holmes
  12. Tom Ince
  13. Amadou Mbengue (technically out of contract this summer but has a 1 year option, which I'm fairly sure the club will take up)
  14. Tom McIntyre
  15. George Puscas (off to Genoa if they get promoted)
  16. Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr
  17. Andy Yiadom

That's 16 left after Puscas goes.

Where's Luke Southwood? Shirley he will start in goal next season?

.....was released, I'm pretty sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2023 21:03

Yep

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2023 21:08

Indeedy.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2023 21:49

PATRIQT Phenomenal getting £3.5m for Puscas, even if it won’t all be up-front. It’s much needed, plus the £1m for Luca Fletcher if his move goes ahead to Man City.

Not seen anything official about a fee being paid for Puscas. Is there a link?

644 posts