The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

538 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

by Clyde1998 » 27 May 2023 18:15

blythspartan James Earnshaw is saying nothing is imminent with regards to Wilder and he’s usually pretty accurate. I can’t see it happening tbh. It’s just all twitter frenzy, file with Tommy Smith.

Tommy Smith was basically done - the media had been called for a press conference to announce his signing IIRC.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091215060 ... Smith.html
Tommy Smith interview (2009) My relationship with the Watford fans became a factor to consider as I didn’t want to end on bad terms. At the same time though I knew I had to leave and Reading seemed to be the best option.

I was heading down to Reading when my agent called and told me that a bid had been accepted by Portsmouth. I told Brendan and went home for a couple of days. He wasn’t happy, but I had to do what was right for me.

We would've got him if it wasn't for a last minute offer from Portsmouth.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 May 2023 18:39

blythspartan James Earnshaw is saying nothing is imminent with regards to Wilder and he’s usually pretty accurate. I can’t see it happening tbh. It’s just all twitter frenzy, file with Tommy Smith.

Earnshaw is about as useless as Low was, has no contacts

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2023 18:43

We should bake him some cakes

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2023 19:41

If the news is true, then it's probably the best appointment we could have hoped for given the circumstances and should bring plenty of optimism during pre-season and the transfer window.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 21:10

Probably right. But Tommy Smith wasn't a twitter frenzy, it was direct from that knob head Rodgers' mouth. Repeatedly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 21:14

Snowflake Royal

Probably right. But Tommy Smith wasn't a twitter frenzy, it was direct from that knob head Rodgers' mouth. Repeatedly.

And was spot on until 'arry waved his magic Pompey wallet packed with monopoly cash about 10 minutes before Tommy arrived to sign.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 21:16

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

And was spot on until 'arry waved his magic Pompey wallet packed with monopoly cash about 10 minutes before Tommy arrived to sign.

Which is why he should have kept his big mouth shut rather than making him and us look like fools.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 May 2023 21:27

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

Bit difficult given 'arry was at Spurs when Pompey signed Smith.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 27 May 2023 22:09

Wish the journos were able to find out more than just “nothing imminent”.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 May 2023 22:28

I saw a tweet suggesting he was watching Hearts and Hibs today but it’s difficult to know whether it’s true or not. I just can’t see him joining us but I hope I am wrong.

I fear recruiting a new manager might drag on for weeks. This is Reading after all.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 May 2023 23:10

Might’ve just been there checking-out the next seasons McDoyles, McKitsons, McIngies, McMurtys, McSonkos and McHahnemann's (sic’)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2023 06:50

Thought their caretaker (Naismith) had done good enough to get the gig himself, he got them over the line to qualify for the Johstone's Paint Trophy of Europe, which is the best Hearts are likely to get really!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 May 2023 07:00

So local guys saying nothing doing yet means one of two things:

1. Nothing doing, yet, with anyone.
2. Something close to or done but no-one willing to go "on the record" ahead of an announcement.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 28 May 2023 10:40

Mid Sussex Royal

Earnshaw is about as useless as Low was, has no contacts

Maybe cut the kid some slack - he was basically hired straight out of university. And he had to deal with Paul Ince for most of that - whom I understand was not exactly reliable with his information. Nothing worse for a young journo starting out to start reporting stuff that turns out to be bollocks. You have to wait until your the lead sports reporter for the Sun before you can do that!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 May 2023 14:06

blythspartan I saw a tweet suggesting he was watching Hearts and Hibs today but it’s difficult to know whether it’s true or not. I just can’t see him joining us but I hope I am wrong.

I fear recruiting a new manager might drag on for weeks. This is Reading after all.

Did the club/rumours say that we wanted somebody in place by June 1st? Hopefully we will have someone in place by then, ideally Wilder but if not then someone else.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2023 08:17

Well today will be fun either way. On one side, we have a new manager announced or the other we get to watch #readingfc on Twitter meltdown.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2023 08:32

Stranded Well today will be fun either way. On one side, we have a new manager announced or the other we get to watch #readingfc on Twitter meltdown.

Might get both

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 30 May 2023 08:46

Yeah, imagine the reaction if some manager we've never heard of is announced instead of Wilder.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2023 08:49

ReadingGlasses Yeah, imagine the reaction if some manager we've never heard of is announced instead of Wilder.

Knowing some on here, buy a ST just to...

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/photos/ ... orwic.html

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2023 09:12

ITS WILDER WEEK!

538 posts