NO LONGER A RUMOUR: Sam Sodje

158 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Jun 2006 07:21

The whole year inn More in the Express today regarding Reading, Watford, Southampton and their interest in Sodje

We might as well pull out now. There's no way we can compete with an established Prem club like Southampton..........oh.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 Jun 2006 07:51

The thing about Southampton is that it's Down There in more ways than one from Reading now.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 14 Jun 2006 08:52

The whole year inn More in the Express today regarding Reading, Watford, Southampton and their interest in Sodje

If this is a sign of things to come and reflects our budget and ambition, coupled with the seeming failure to tie up Sidwell, then I am well peed off!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Jun 2006 08:55

Tilehurst Mike

If this is a sign of things to come and reflects our budget and ambition, coupled with the seeming failure to tie up Sidwell, then I am well peed off!

It reflects our ability to search for players that represent value for money and who are probably under-rated. I suppose you had the same feelings when we paid only £80k for some unknown Irish player?

Of course we could always have the Neil Warnock approach to transfers.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Jun 2006 09:36

He couldn't even deal with Swansea so Christ knows how he'd do against Henry.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 14 Jun 2006 10:42

Wycombe Royal
Tilehurst Mike

It reflects our ability to search for players that represent value for money and who are probably under-rated. I suppose you had the same feelings when we paid only £80k for some unknown Irish player?

Doyle was a one in a million find asd quoted by Brian Mcdermott. Warnock was successful in that he got Sheff Utd automatically promoted so his transfer dealings can;t be that bad either!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Jun 2006 11:00

Tilehurst Mike
Wycombe Royal
Tilehurst Mike

Doyle was a one in a million find asd quoted by Brian Mcdermott. Warnock was successful in that he got Sheff Utd automatically promoted so his transfer dealings can;t be that bad either!

Warnock signed a few more players than we did for a fair bit more money. He went for older players that he knew would give them a great chance of getting out of the Championship, but what he didn't do was look further ahead to the next season. His squad needs a more work than ours this summer despite him having a bigger squad than us already and he has also been attempting to get the Blades out of that division since he took over them in December 1999.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Jun 2006 11:06

Wycombe Royal
Tilehurst Mike
Wycombe Royal
Tilehurst Mike

Warnock signed a few more players than we did for a fair bit more money. He went for older players that he knew would give them a great chance of getting out of the Championship, but what he didn't do was look further ahead to the next season. His squad needs a more work than ours this summer despite him having a bigger squad than us already and he has also been attempting to get the Blades out of that division since he took over them in December 1999.

Would agree witht that again :shock: however :wink: I am slightly concerened with Coppell's notes in the EP today, saying that he's not interested in getting a striker, and is basically after 3 defenders. I hope to God one of them is not Sodje. This is not going from League 1 to the Championship, where you can add 1 or 2 and you'll be half way up the league. We are trying to compete with teams willing to spend serious money and if we don't follow suit to some extent then we will go down and without much of a fight. I don't mean spending 10million + but maybe about £5-6million on 4 or 5 players would give us a chance. The likes of Sodje won't.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jun 2006 11:23

Think Sodje would be a decent buy. But like the yank defender wouldn't be one to develop rather than walk into the squad, this would mean we'd need another defender with prem experience to get us through that first season.

Dare I say Perry? :wink:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 14 Jun 2006 11:24

Ian Royal Think Sodje would be a decent buy. But like the yank defender wouldn't be one to develop rather than walk into the squad, this would mean we'd need another defender with prem experience to get us through that first season.

No you daren't. ;)

Perry and Sodje *shudders*, hello Championship.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jun 2006 11:27

Alan Partridge
Ian Royal Think Sodje would be a decent buy. But like the yank defender wouldn't be one to develop rather than walk into the squad, this would mean we'd need another defender with prem experience to get us through that first season.

No you daren't. ;)

I dunno, Perry for a year might not be too bad while we get Sodje/Oneywu up to speed. Don't be so defeatest Mr Partridge. Stop worrying about going back down and enjoy the being there. If you assume we're doomed to relegation you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 14 Jun 2006 11:30

Ian Royal
Alan Partridge

No you daren't. ;)

I dunno, Perry for a year might not be too bad while we get Sodje/Oneywu up to speed. Don't be so defeatest Mr Partridge. Stop worrying about going back down and enjoy the being there. If you assume we're doomed to relegation you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

I don't think we are doomed. I think we have the best chance out of the 3 to stay up and by some distance. But if you think by saving the pennies by signing players like that will keep us up then you are so wrong, ask Sunderland. They spent the least out of the 3 teams last season (still around £3million) and finished with the worst tally ever.

Of course evena t this stage I thin we are btter equipped than they were but even so we HAVE to spend money, there is no doubt about it. THe poison chalice of going up.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 14 Jun 2006 12:11

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/ ... 26,00.html

Premiership duo join Sodje race

Premiership new-boys Watford and Reading are expected to join Southampton in the chase for Brentford's highly-rated centre-half Sam Sodje.

The Nigerian international turned down a move to the Saints on the final day of the transfer window in January.

But after the Bees failed to gain promotion to the Championship last season and with Martin Allen's departure last month, it seems as if the former Margate man could follow Allen out of the door at Griffin Park.

The 25-year-old, said: "Martin would not settle for second best and I'm the same. Like Martin, my contract at Brentford has a year to go, but one or two clubs are interested in me and Brentford might welcome the fee.

"It will be up to Brentford, but I need to play at the highest level. I won't be moving just for the sake of it, but I'm ambitious and want to further my career."

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 14 Jun 2006 12:21

Dear God no, please let this be paper talk, I would almost prefer Perry.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Jun 2006 12:23

Alan Partridge Dear God no, please let this be paper talk, I would almost prefer Perry.

I'm sure Wally Downes, Coppell, etc, are a better judge of a plyer than you. If they think he is good enough then that is good enough for me.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 14 Jun 2006 12:25

Wycombe Royal
Alan Partridge Dear God no, please let this be paper talk, I would almost prefer Perry.

I'm sure Wally Downes, Coppell, etc, are a better judge of a plyer than you. If they think he is good enough then that is good enough for me.

Have an opinion for yourself WR, it feels good mate. Fair do's they've seen him more than me, but from what I have seen the one word that instantly springs to mind is 'liability'. We shouldn't be looking around League 1 for a Premiership campaign, that's my OPINION.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Jun 2006 12:27

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal

Have an opinion for yourself WR, it feels good mate.

I have, and my opinion is that if they think he is good enough then that is fine by me. I haven't seen him play so I will trust their judgement if he is actually a target for us.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Jun 2006 12:35

Huntley & Palmer says NO

Tilehurst Mike

Sam Sodje

by Tilehurst Mike » 12 Jul 2006 08:50

Today's mail lists Sodje as an 'IN' for 300k which would suggest that he has already signed!! Okocha is also listed as a target!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 12 Jul 2006 08:53

Great signing, perhaps not as a first choice initially, but I think he will be an asset as cover and he will only improve.

Still need a new first choice CB though.

158 posts