Kitson to struggle...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jul 2006 14:30

Sam Tubber
Royalee (not for the first time) a load of absolute balls.

So Kitson will struggle and isn't good enough despite never having played a Premiership game and having a brilliant games to goals ratio?

bassavage

by bassavage » 30 Jul 2006 14:30

I think it could be Lita's year this year. He could be the one who surprises a few of the opposition. His speed and his finishing could be crucial to us and I think he could get 15-20 goals next year.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jul 2006 14:35

If you concentrate on a player's weeknesses, then of course you'll think he'll struggle. If you concentrate on his strengths, you'll think he'll do well. You can say the same thing about any player in our squad. The truth lies somewhere in between. I think some people on here are expecting too much. Unlike the last few seasons, there are some games we know we won't get anything out of. If Kitson, Doyle and Lita all get close to double figures in the league, and as a team we average better than a goal a game, we will be ok, and that is eminently achievable. I think we'll get anything between 35 and 45 points. 38 points will leave us safe, I reckon.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Jul 2006 14:36

Seven successive years of 70+ points do tend to raise expectations a little.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jul 2006 14:41

But expectations have to be realistic. We have nothing to fear from two thirds of this league and it's on those games the players should be judged. We'll get the rub of the green in some, not in others and there are some that we should win. Talk of any of our forwards getting close to 15 in the league is, IMO, very optimistic. However, as I said, if all three get close to 10, that will provide the platform for a successful season, success being Premiership football in 2007/08.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 30 Jul 2006 14:51, edited 3 times in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 30 Jul 2006 14:46

Arch Seven successive years of 70+ points do tend to raise expectations a little.

Naturally, an eighth is now expected.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 30 Jul 2006 14:46

Kitson will do fine; by Xmas there will be people talking about him breaking into the England squad, and "rumours" that certain teams might be interested in him for £5-8M in the january transfer window.....

.....then the SAME people who are happy to come on here and slag the guy off before he has kicked a ball at this level will be calling his loyalty to the club into question.........

:roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jul 2006 14:54

Provided the service is there, Kitson will get his share. It's how we adapt as a team that matters, not individuals. That's were coaching, management, fitness and preparation become more important and we are taking the right steps at present.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 30 Jul 2006 14:57, edited 2 times in total.

iang040563

by iang040563 » 30 Jul 2006 14:54

My only concern is with injuries.
Kits is very injury prone, Lita has just got back from missing half a season, and next eaon will be a different level. We may have got away with playing players who are 80% fit before, but if we do it this season we will be ripped to shreds. Long and Cox are - in my opinion - not ready for first team premiership football, so in the worse case scenario and we have both Kits and Lita out at the same time, who have we got to partner Doyle?
Personally, I still think SC will get in another quality striker, and then let them fight for a starting place. That has got to be good for the club

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 30 Jul 2006 14:55

why do people constantly come on here and slate players of OUR team before the season has even started. Kitson has showed he can make the step up from division to division and i'm confident he'll do it again.

Remember when we signed him " a complete lack of ambition by signing a player from league 2" and look how hes truned out for us.

this is the season where we should be behind the boys more than ever

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jul 2006 15:13

Mr Angry Kitson will do fine; by Xmas there will be people talking about him breaking into the England squad, and "rumours" that certain teams might be interested in him for £5-8M in the january transfer window.....

.....then the SAME people who are happy to come on here and slag the guy off before he has kicked a ball at this level will be calling his loyalty to the club into question.........

:roll:

Absolutely spot on.

Kitson will get at least 10 goals assuming he plays half the matches.
He's one of those strikers who just gets into the right place at the right time. I think you could draw certain comparisons between his game and Sheringham's. His pedigree is impressive he can't be far off his 50th Royals goal, and to get that in the prem will be fantastic!

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 30 Jul 2006 16:46

I can't actually believe that people are doubting Kitson, while forgetting 2 seasons ago he was our best player by a mile and his injury cost us a place in the playoffs, and last year he was still our top scorer even with a fair number of injuries and not playing his best. I think last season Doyle did all the running that Kitson used to do, so he was just there to provide the tap ins and the essential goals. Next season providing he's fully fit, he'll be very good for us. He won't get as much space but as long as he works hard he'll be fine. He's got the motivation to prove himself in the Premiership, especially considering he came from non-league football. Back in 2004, when he broke into our team he had to prove himself in the Championship, think back to how good he was then.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 30 Jul 2006 18:09

bassavage I think it could be Lita's year this year. He could be the one who surprises a few of the opposition. His speed and his finishing could be crucial to us and I think he could get 15-20 goals next year.

I agree with this sentiment. His speed and finishing are vital, but above all, love it or loathe it, his sheer arrogance to be a top quality striker will make him shine IMHO.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 30 Jul 2006 18:30

Some of you lot are very quick to jump on the defensive. I am not 'slating' anyone (and neither is anyone else), I am merely raising a concern based on having watched Kitson and the way he plays the game.

Just beacuse I think he has limitations that may mean he finds it really tough in the premiership doesn't mean that I don't admire the way he has played for us up until this point, nor does it mean that I don't want him to do well in the future.

A point was made saying that you would of course think a player would struggle if you concentrate on his weaknesses and you would equally think he would do well if you concebtrate on his strengths....no sh*t :roll:

That's the problem with too many people on the team board (hence the reason I avoid it)...you can't put your feelings aside and be objective!

One thing that I do agree with is that if the service continues from wide areas then Kitson will get goals, however, if that dries up, what does he offer? IMHO, not much....unlike Doyle and indeed Lita who will be the finisher that will keep us up next year.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 30 Jul 2006 18:42

Some people think Emile Heskey is a Premiership quality striker. I'll take Kitson any day but I would have to think hard about an offer of swopping Kits for Thierry Henry. Maybe Henry plus £5 million for Kits.

Jay

by Jay » 30 Jul 2006 18:46

I don't think any particular striker of ours will struggle next season, but what I do see is all of them struggling if we don't get at sides and make chances.
To many teams go 4-5-1 and hope for a point, and that formation has a time and place, but we need to take the game to teams like Wigan and West Ham did last season and then we can give most sides a game!
If we sit back and let teams come at us, then our forwards will be all but redundant for the most part.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Jul 2006 18:49

I think Kits may not have the pace of some but he has intelligence, vision and good movement coupled with a good aerial presence and a good finish.

I think he will do alright.

(In FM2006, he's always top scorer in the Championship but I have to replace him in the Prem. :lol: )

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 30 Jul 2006 18:59

I think there will be healthy rivalry for starting places up front as long as injuries dont limit things.I dont think Kits should or will expect any automatic starts and will have to proove his worth and take a back seat if others are doing the biz.
There certainly wont be any hiding place for anyone not 100% up for it.
Get Kits on for the lads.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Jul 2006 19:10

Jay I don't think any particular striker of ours will struggle next season, but what I do see is all of them struggling if we don't get at sides and make chances.
To many teams go 4-5-1 and hope for a point, and that formation has a time and place, but we need to take the game to teams like Wigan and West Ham did last season and then we can give most sides a game!
If we sit back and let teams come at us, then our forwards will be all but redundant for the most part.

There was good point made by David Pleat (in the Guardian, I think) during the World Cup that, although often seen as a negative formation, there is absolutely no need for 4-5-1 to be ultra-defensive. Indeed, if it is used flexibly, it can be one of the most attacking and fluid formations available. It certainly works for the Dutch (unless you think of that as 4-3-3). Don't think that we have enough central midfielders in the team to play this though!

As you say, despite the amount that is written about formations, it's as much about attitude and approach. I won't criticise the team overly if they are overawed by playing at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, but I will if they are overcautious against Middlesborough or Man City. Not because they are the weakest teams, per se, but because we need to beat solid middle-ranking teams if we are to become one ourselves.

Here's a question for you all: will we do better at home or on the road this season? At least we'll no longer be the team that everybody tries to shut up shop against at the Mad Stad, but the onus will still be on us to attack at home. Of course, if we have a poor start then we may find ourselves suffering from the Sunderland syndrome, where the team feel less pressured away from home.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 30 Jul 2006 19:18

He's our best striker

Will be our top scorer

And is a legend!!