Disappointed by the close season

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Disappointed by the close season

by Schards#2 » 07 Aug 2006 09:02

As we close in on the start of a historic season, I wonder if i'm alone in being disappointed with the way things have gone over the close season.

Last season could not have been better and we finished the season on a euphoric high, however, since then, it all appears to have been about money rather than the excitement of the coming challange.

- Huge hike in ticket prices with no concession for long term fans
- Sidwell's wage demands
- The radio rights fiasco
- Forced to attend pre season friendly to ge necessary loyalty points
- Various other things such as charging to have a photo with the trophy

At a time when the players have never been paid more, they seem to be less happy than ever with their earnings and at a time when the club has never had more money going into its coffers, it's never seemed more intent on squeezing every last penny out of the supporters regardless of whether they are new or long term.

As things stand, we are paying a near doubling of ticket price on a game by game basis to watch what is virtually the same team and, arguably, a weaker team if Sidwell were to leave.

Obviously, I wouldn't change things and am looking forward to they season but it concerns me that the spirit of togetherness as a club that brought us through last season could die with this obsession with money and if the fans see the players and club reaping a huge increase in income when all the fans see is a huge increase in expenditure, that goodwill will quickly dissipate.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 09:05

I thought the rise in season ticket prices was meant to cover the cost of new players being brought into the squad. Or something. I'm more concerned that the likes of Shittu prefer to sign for Watford than us.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 09:09

Didn't the "fizzy pop" kick off saturday? How come we didn't have a game? Oh shit yeah, we're in the prem! How much?£30 a game!!!

WHO CARES. Best season ever coming up. OK so we've not signed Ronaldinho and 10 money grabbers, it costs a bit more, and the shirts not to everyones taste. Our team are capable of causing a stir in the prem as it is so let forget all the whining and whinging and start looking forward to the time of our lives.

IMO :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Aug 2006 09:09

The lack of new players to bolster the squad has been the biggest disappointment for me.

There is just under 2 weeks, left so maybe......................... :cry:

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 09:10

Royal Lady I thought the rise in season ticket prices was meant to cover the cost of new players being brought into the squad. Or something. I'm more concerned that the likes of Shittu prefer to sign for Watford than us.

We don't actually know that Shittu was even talking to us do we?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 09:13

no. To be fair we don't actually know very much at all.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 09:13

Royal Lady I thought the rise in season ticket prices was meant to cover the cost of new players being brought into the squad. Or something. I'm more concerned that the likes of Shittu prefer to sign for Watford than us.

How do you know Shittu prefers Watford to us, we may never have actually bid for him - certainly appears the case at this time as it was reported his choice was Watford or WBA.

A lot of the ST rise will have gone on covering the increased wage bill as well as new signings. We may still bring in more.

No offence but is there any way this could be merged with the offer 4000 threads of a similar nature on here.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 07 Aug 2006 09:13

Spirit of Elm Park Didn't the "fizzy pop" kick off saturday? How come we didn't have a game? Oh shit yeah, we're in the prem! How much?£30 a game!!!

WHO CARES. Best season ever coming up. OK so we've not signed Ronaldinho and 10 money grabbers, it costs a bit more, and the shirts not to everyones taste. Our team are capable of causing a stir in the prem as it is so let forget all the whining and whinging and start looking forward to the time of our lives.

IMO :wink:

Bullshit.

If the clubs adopts your attitude that it's going to be a best season whatever, because we're in the Premiership, we'll be relegated by Christmas.

It's fantastic we're where we are, but we must take the season seriously and not accept relegation because we've played Arsenal and Utd etc.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 07 Aug 2006 09:15

I would agree. When the Season Ticket prices were announced it raised a few eyebrows, but then I thought 'Fair enough' if we want to bring in experienced Premiership players, then that it the price to pay, but it seems as though the club has taken our money and not given us anything for it.

I know that the wage bill has trebled but IIRC the wagebill was mooted previously at the £5m level, so that is now £15m, but the turnover of the club will have almost trebled too, and aside rom the wage bill most of the other costs will remain static or small increases. Therefore we should have the money to compete.

I hope that all changes within the next two weeks, as the club left it late last year, but as it stands even Watford are levaing us behind, and there is no way they are as financially stable as we are..

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 09:19

Scarface
Bullshit.

If the clubs adopts your attitude that it's going to be a best season whatever, because we're in the Premiership, we'll be relegated by Christmas.

It's fantastic we're where we are, but we must take the season seriously and not accept relegation because we've played Arsenal and Utd etc.

:? I didn't say anything about Accepting Relegation, what I'm getting at is that its another whingy/whiney thread, we should be getting behind the club/team as we have a chance of really making a statement this year, we have it in us to not have to worry about relegation, after all, who thought we would romp the league last year before the season started. To coin a phrase, "young and hungry could just get us a long way", after all, "you don't win anything with kids do you?"

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 07 Aug 2006 09:21

There's more to it than the lack of signings, it's the latent greed of the club and the players alike.

For the first time in history, supply is exceeding demand and the attitude has been tosqueeze every last penny imaginable from the fans.

If we'd said that we would use the windfall to clear debt etc and take our chances I would have been happier.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 09:21

:roll: You have to be realistic though - are you seriously saying that with our current squad we can give Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool a run for their money both home and away?? And this isn't a whingy whiny thread - it's saying how one particular supporter thinks.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 09:25

Royal Lady :roll: You have to be realistic though - are you seriously saying that with our current squad we can give Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool a run for their money both home and away?? And this isn't a whingy whiny thread - it's saying how one particular supporter thinks.

I'm talking comfortable mid table. :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Aug 2006 09:25

We are suffering from the "Little Reading, no history syndrome"

We are the last team players seem to want to play for if they are serious about a Premiership career.

We have had more time to sort out new players than any other team as we were promoted so early......You wouldn't have thought so with our lack of new personnel.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 09:29

Schards#2 There's more to it than the lack of signings, it's the latent greed of the club and the players alike.

For the first time in history, supply is exceeding demand and the attitude has been tosqueeze every last penny imaginable from the fans.

If we'd said that we would use the windfall to clear debt etc and take our chances I would have been happier.

As would I but the majority of fans would not have been. Yes they have tried to squeeze money out of the fans but none of the things that they have introduced were compulsary.

People have had the option to choose not to:

- purchase the new shirt
- attend the Feyernoord game
- have a photo with the trophy

The club have got my ST money out of me and that'll be it. The club have introduced these extra things because they clearly thought there was a market for them and if they have proved popular they've been proved right.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Aug 2006 09:30

RFC Background
We have all waited a lifetime to finally see Premiership football in Reading. We believe that we have been responsible in setting prices at a fair level for Premiership football, which will allow the Club to compete in the top flight.

Having finally reached the Premiership, we are now determined to stay there. We are ambitious to continue to grow and develop as a Club, and naturally this will require significant investment.

During the summer months we will spend money on the squad to improve and give us the best possible chance of succeeding in the Premiership. There will also be serious investment to improve other areas of the Club, such as the training ground and the Academy.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~829856,00.html

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Aug 2006 09:48

I am worried and excited as I think we will either bomb worse than Sunderland, or we will stun everyone, hardly signing anyone and finishing midtable at worst, I don't think there will be an inbetween for us its all or nothing :? :lol:

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 07 Aug 2006 09:53

Has any other team ever entered into the premiership having added to their (slim) squad by so little? (though we do still have 24 days to get players).

Wigan added fewest last season with 9, West Ham and Sunderland both adding at least 10. Sunderland proving that isn't not all about quantity though they had finished top of the Championship but still added several players with premiership experience.

I know we stormed the league last season BUT I am still very worried as I cannot recall anyone, except Watford a few seasons ago, adding so few players (I can't say for sure that Watford never added more I just remember they didn't strengthen much).

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2006 09:56

They planted a screen of shrubs at the Training Ground Last month, they spend hours watering thenm each day, it all costs money you know.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Aug 2006 09:58

Sunderland didnt add many when they went up with 105 points - and then finished 7th. To me thats where the parralels are. We'll stay up easily providing we dont get a load of injuries in one position.

Coppell is sounding positive about Bikey so that will mean another central defender. If that happens then we only possibly need one more midfielder - which we hoped would be Whitehead - but you cant win them all.

I still think too many of us underestimate our performance last season - we walked the division.