Disappointed by the close season

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 07 Aug 2006 19:03

I'm not sure there is any lack of ambition/activity. The real problem for us is that the club stays very tightlipped in this area and at the moment (apart from Mensah) we aren't the target of the tabloids who splash every rumour about the bigger teams. Hence, mainly silence.

Time and again Coppell has said we are negotiating in a number of areas (and since the club haven't denied the Mensah link yet it looks like that is also still rumbling on) but we have to wait for the big clubs to settle down, hinting that our targets overlap theirs.

There seems to be a feeling that due to the way prices have gone up everywhere the club are heading for a big profit and relegation. I don't for a moment believe the first and simply demanding expensive signings adds nothing since we know the club are busy in this area.

Sure,Sheffield Utd have made lots of signings - I wouldn't take any of them myself. Not signing Shittu doesn't make me lose sleep either.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 07 Aug 2006 20:15

Trouble is, it looks like a lack of ambition.

I don't know the numbers, but I suspect we haven't sold as many
season tickets as the club expected.

The club seem to have been caught short by the "floating" fans not kicking
their door down for tickets. All, or most, of us who had season tickets last
year have probably re-newed, but others will have been looking for the club to walk-the-walk in Premiership terms, but they're not even talking the talk.

The commercial side of the club still isn't really at the races.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 20:20

The Goat was fed Trouble is, it looks like a lack of ambition.

year have probably re-newed, but others will have been looking for the club to walk-the-walk in Premiership terms, but they're not even talking the talk.

Again it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I have no doubt that the club have looked to sign players but been knocked back, it's a question of what looks/feel better.

It might look better to be seen to be bidding left, right and centre but it certainly wouldn't feel better if we kept getting knock back after knock back in public. In many ways it could dent the clubs reputation and almost make us a laughing stock.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Aug 2006 21:09

Think it's important to remind ourselves that we went in for Lescott and were outbid by a bigger club. The ambition is there, but as SC many a time there are so few players that fit the ethos that has made this football club succesfull over the years - young, hungary, a willingness to improve.

Just ask Paul Jewell about this time last summer. Wigan most likely matched Newcastle or improved wages for people such as Michael Owen and Scott Parker but had no realistic chance of getting these players. Suddenley, it's agents phoning Wigan after realising they ain't so bad.

bassavage

by bassavage » 07 Aug 2006 21:55

Read my August 8th 1998 post.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 07 Aug 2006 22:51

You look at the money other clubs have been spending and wonder if it's worth it. Players like Davis, Shittu, Francis and Hulse are not any better than what we've already got. Is it worth spending millions on building a glorified Championship side? There's clear evidence that the club thinks it's worth spending 4 or 5 million on the right central defender, but the right player is a rare beast. We couldn't get Lescott and we probably can't get Mensah. And speaking of Mensah, I'm a bit troubled about the idea of bidding that kind of money for a player no one else seems to be all that interested in. Middlesboro are as in need of a CD as we are and they have more money, but they're not making many inroads into the market. I think if Bikey pans out we're down to needing one more central midfielder. We actually have a lot of players - well over twenty - who could make it in the Premiership. Fingers crossed, then!

I understand the frustration over ticket prices - I rarely have to shell out for obvious reasons. But i have to say, when I saw the Championship kick off this week, I thought "thank God we're not competing in that load of dross". Every game is tense, a potential banana skin, and few are exciting. For all the yak last year about how the Championship is more entertaining, at this stage I'm not buying it for a minute. We've got 38 games of the big time coming and it's gotta be worth at least twice what a CCC season is worth.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Aug 2006 00:18

Bowman's Quiver I honestly believe that the "lack of transfers and/or ambition" only becomes a cause for debate after the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

This is just the type of smart @rse logic that will ensure little gems such as

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21193

become a thing of the past...........................it must not be allowed to infiltrate this forum :evil:

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 08 Aug 2006 00:46

Thanks WR!

I despair of the significant number of fans on here who do nothing but go on about the glass being half empty...bloody whingers!

This season is historic. I for one have waited 40 years for this and I will enjoy every minute..until we repeat it again next season.

Have faith, be loud, be proud!

COME ON YOU R's!

READING!!! READING!!! READING!!!

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 08 Aug 2006 10:08

Stranded
The Goat was fed Trouble is, it looks like a lack of ambition.

Again it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I have
no doubt that the club have looked to sign players but been knocked back, it's a question of what looks/feel better.

It might look better to be seen to be bidding left, right and centre but it certainly wouldn't feel better if we kept getting knock back after knock back in public. In many ways it could dent the clubs reputation and almost make us a laughing stock.

agreed, look at portsmouth, lots of ambition, lots of money, but can't sign anyone. in a way that gives me heart cause they're a team who are just above water, with extremley good finances and they're in the same boat as us.

Let coppell keep characteristically tight lipped and lets hope for at least one signing

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 08 Aug 2006 10:11

Mr Irascible Thanks WR!

I despair of the significant number of fans on here who do nothing but go on about the glass being half empty...bloody whingers!

This season is historic. I for one have waited 40 years for this and I will enjoy every minute..until we repeat it again next season.

Have faith, be loud, be proud!

COME ON YOU R's!

READING!!! READING!!! READING!!!
I think the problem is that the glass only seems a quarter full! I am worried about the forthcoming season as we have not [in my mind] strengthened enough yet. We still have 3 weeks to the window though and last season alot of the activity of the 3 promoted clubs did occur after the season kicked off, although that was a week earlier than this season. But it's abit like games in hand - I'd rather have the points and likewise I wish the activity had already occured. I think I was as pessimistic last summer.

Key to my problem is I lack patience, conviction, belief and confidence all because of one thing I don't lack - passion for the Royals. I know Copp knows what he's doing I just wish he'd hurry up and do it as it all just adds to the nervousness.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 08 Aug 2006 10:22

Championship football experience at Premiership prices so far on and off the field. Do we get the all knowing Coppell or the same manager who shrugged his shoulders and couldn't expalin why we couldn't win for three months the previous season when we showed a remarkable lack of transfer ambition!

79Royal

by 79Royal » 08 Aug 2006 10:33

I haven't seen one signing made yet that I've thought worthy, with the exceptions of Ballack at Chelsea and Rosicky at Arsenal.

There is still time and little point in buying players just to get bodies in the squad. Sunderland did that and failed miserably.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 08 Aug 2006 10:41

79Royal I haven't seen one signing made yet that I've thought worthy, with the exceptions of Ballack at Chelsea and Rosicky at Arsenal.

There is still time and little point in buying players just to get bodies in the squad. Sunderland did that and failed miserably.
I couldn't agree more with that. Sunderland did sign some premiership experience, but arguably 'tried and failed' or 'worn out' types and most of the others they signed simply never looked good enough. That said, it looked like we were falling into the latter camp, though from pre-season Seol is looking better than that which is a glimmer of hope at least.

East Stand Ste

Re: Disappointed by the close season

by East Stand Ste » 08 Aug 2006 10:58

- Huge hike in ticket prices with no concession for long term fans (i agree!)

- Sidwell's wage demands (agree!)

- The radio rights fiasco (who cares!)

- Forced to attend pre season friendly to ge necessary loyalty points (if you have ST or go to lots of games you have sufficiant points!)

- Various other things such as charging to have a photo with the trophy (you dont have to pay for these things!!)

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Disappointed by the close season

by West Stand Man » 08 Aug 2006 11:11

East Stand Ste - Huge hike in ticket prices with no concession for long term fans (i agree!)

Is that true? I thought that renewals were at a slightly cheaper rate than new tickets? That sounds like as much of a concession for long term fans as I would have expected.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 08 Aug 2006 12:07

TVPRoyal
One home friendly = 10 away league games

Not exactly my definition of "fair and reasonable

Not correct! - Feyenoord Friendly = 20pts - Away Games = 5pts

Were the same accusations made when we were given double points for League cup games last year - as it is just the same as that double points for a game that is likely to have unsold seats but because the number of points has gone up this season it seems a lot more. Once you are used to 10 points home and 5 points away it will seem less of a bribe.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 08 Aug 2006 12:22

in terms of the transfer market I'd imagine a lot will be done in the lsat few days before the kick-off - as has just happened in the Championship. clubs have been slower to assess their squads this year because of the World Cup and the delay in getting everyone back together - for instance once the Arsenal squad is fully assembled Wenger may decide a week before the 31st August that such-and-such a player isn't needed or can go on loan and then the market gets going. When you think about it not all transfers are the result of long, drawn-out negotiations, a lot happen almost spur of the moment.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 08 Aug 2006 13:57

why do u get less points for travelling away?!....its should be more surely!!

starliaison
TVPRoyal

Were the same accusations made when we were given double points for League cup games last year - as it is just the same as that double points for a game that is likely to have unsold seats but because the number of points has gone up this season it seems a lot more. Once you are used to 10 points home and 5 points away it will seem less of a bribe.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2006 14:11

starliaison
TVPRoyal

I don't remember it being publicised quite as much to be fair and at that time points weren't the potentially important currency that they've become now.

Also, those games were conpetitive matches so I would expect some points for them in the first place, I don't think friendlies usually get any points though do they? Oddly the Luton game was 10 points but Swansea was only 5, so it seems even the club changed it's policy when they saw that points might become more attractive.

Would I get 5 points if I go to Thatcham tonight though? How many points are those in Sweden getting for attending friendly games?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 08 Aug 2006 14:25

Just checked our points total and, whilst I would have had enough for the first tranche of Villa tickets, my wife would have been 5 points short had we not bought the Feyernoord tickets.

Which rather illustrates my point.